It's Time For Corpse Party Android/ios/steam!

Discussion in 'Corpse Party Series' started by Shizukari, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

The first game was released in 2011, and been discounted two times ever since. I don't think XSEED has anything to lose to publish the game on those three platforms now.

2. KlausRealta

KlausRealta Well-Known Member

Isn't Corpse Party already on iOS? I think I remember seeing it on the iTunes store, but in Japanese.

Edit: Yeah, both BloodCovered and Book of Shadows in Japanese.

3. Ryos

Ryos Active Member

Not your imagination, 5pb already has both of the first two titles on iOS. I can only imagine how the first would play out with touchscreen controls...and not in a good way.

These'd make great Steam titles but I don't think there's a PC version with all the new PSP bells and whistles.

4. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

I think they're all great for the own merits. The first one for mobile must've worked, since 5pb ported Book of Shadows soon after.

5. KlausRealta

KlausRealta Well-Known Member

What are the PSP bells and whistles? Either way, I wouldn't mind buying BloodCovered again on Steam.

6. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

To be fair, Corpse Party PC has a few things the PSP version doesn't as well, particularly in chapter 5. I was recently able to play through it, and was surprised at how well it held up considering how much extra polish the PSP version got.

As for what the "bells and whistles" of the PSP version are, the biggest ones are the complete redrawing of all background art (every tile is twice its original resolution and thus several times more detailed), as well as a completely new voice script with all new actors (and a lot more voiced dialogue, since chapters 1-3 were only partially voiced in the PC version as opposed to being fully-voiced in the PSP version). There was also a change in the lighting engine, and the addition of seven new extra chapters that don't exist in the PC version (though the PC version does have "Tooth" from Book of Shadows as an extra chapter, and it's actually playable in Corpse Party 1 style with a bunch of new puzzles and cutscenes, so that kinda balances out the loss of the others, especially since it's only the 2-3 minute cutscene-only shorts that were added).

We're definitely looking into this, though, so keep your fingers crossed! Corpse Party is a great series, and I seriously doubt we're done with it yet. ;)

-Tom

7. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

What about the iOS/Android versions, Tom?

8. Wyrdwad

Oh yeah! Got so caught up in discussing the differences between the PC and PSP versions, I totally forgot about that one. It's 100% identical to the PSP version save for its control method, so it's not quite as interesting for fans of the PSP game. Would still be cool if we could release it one of these days, but I'm not sure it would have as much appeal as the PC or PSP versions, if only because iOS/Android games pretty much have to be priced dirt cheap in order to sell, so the number of copies needed in order to turn a profit would be much, much higher.

-Tom

9. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

Most of the game is done though, and not only is programming easier, but it's also easier to publish anything on iOS/Android. I doubt it'd take that much resources compared to any other platform XSEED's used to deal with.

10. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

Just saw this topic, I got "Steam" right in hindsight.

11. OMGitisSamM

OMGitisSamM New Member

So is there no chance that a localized version for Corpse Party will be out on iOS/Android? I would understand if there was issues with the whole "5pb already released it" thing, but I was just wondering, since it's my best option to get it out (since I don't have a PSP/Vita and my PC is having a problem downloading a PSP Emulator due to an outdated OpenGL 2.0 problem.)

12. Amaterasu175

Amaterasu175 New Member

There's the PC version coming to Steam... actually, is there any timeframe for it besides this year (summer, winter, etc.)? I doubt the minimum specs are very high, so that shouldn't be a problem.

13. OMGitisSamM

OMGitisSamM New Member

I've only seen "TBA 2014" so there is nothing specific yet. I hope I'll still have a working computer by then. If not, I guess I'll have to start learning Japanese for that version on iOS. 😔

14. Wyrdwad

I won't say there's no chance for the mobile version, but... well, we don't have a mobile division anymore. They were shut down. And we've never worked on a mobile game before. We don't really know the first thing about it, honestly! So I don't think the chances are super-high. Not right now, anyway. Maybe in the future?

As for the PC game, TBA 2014 is all we have right now. I'm sure you've heard the tales of Sara practically killing herself trying to get Trails functioning under modern PC gaming standards, but the less popular story is of Sara practically killing herself trying to get Corpse Party functioning under modern PC gaming standards at the same time. These two games have been presenting her with two very different but equally difficult challenges -- quite possibly among the greatest challenges she's ever faced as a PC programmer. One stems from the age of the game and the inflexible nature of the way certain aspects of it were coded, and the other stems from the natural shortcomings of the programming language used.

Sara has made impressive strides in overcoming both of these challenges, however, and Trails especially is very much in the home stretch now. But it remains to be seen how much fight Corpse Party has left in it. It could be a little, meaning the game won't be far behind Trails... or it could be a lot, to the point that it could wind up closer in time to the release of Trails 2.

Either way, 2014 is a safe bet. But beyond that... who knows?

-Tom

15. OMGitisSamM

OMGitisSamM New Member

Well if there is still hope left I'll jump at that chance. Thanks for keeping my spirits up Tom!

16. OMGitisSamM

OMGitisSamM New Member

Maybe I should start the mobile division when I grow up... XD

17. BachBreaker

BachBreaker New Member

Corpse Party for iOS is getting a translation to english by 5pb.

Source: https://twitter.com/5pb_Mobile/status/497693792095322113

18. VongolaGearX

VongolaGearX Member

looks like they also have plans for Book Of Shadows too (and steins;gate)