Is Cold Bad For Cd Games?

Discussion in 'Mostly Harmless (Serious Discussion)' started by conurebleu, Jan 20, 2015.

1. conurebleu

conurebleu New Member

Hi there! I was just browsing my games and I saw that where I put my bin it's COLD!!!! maybe like 10 degrees for some reason, is this bad for games?

All I can see over the internet is about cold= > heat that form condensation on disks, but that is not what I am looking for...is actual cold bad for games?

2. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

As long as you aren't freezing them, changing the temperature rapidly, or keeping them in humid environments they should be fine. IIRC cold (but not freezing cold) is actually preferable for storing optical discs (cool/cold + dry environment).

3. conurebleu

conurebleu New Member

No it's not FREEZING, I should try to check out the temperature of where I store them...

edit : strangely my thermometer says it's 18 C, somehow I doubt that, it's way colder there... It's not humid, and the temperature should only change if it'S freezing cold outside, but nothing more than -/+ 5 C degrees in where they are, so guess it's okay.

4. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

My bins are in a room that can get very cold and very warm. I hope the thickness of them and being a solid non-see through colour helps.

If they are temporarily in cardboard, I start seeing pages from books and manuals get that humidity wave.

5. conurebleu

conurebleu New Member

Your room is humid then? Humidity seems to be the worst on CDs and booklet...

My temperature goes from 71-84 F I guess it's not that much of a change to cause condensation, since it's never THAT cold even if it's - 20 C outside (-4 F)

6. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm strapped for space at this place. Still better than using the garage. Garages are usual a bad place to store things with their extreme temperatures (depending on insulation etc).

7. Raikyn

Raikyn New Member

All CD/Blu ray have a lifetime so they might not work forever, I'm not so sure about that but I've read something about blu ray last year that frightened me a bit (my PS3 games, noooo xD ).
    Anyway, if it's not the blue ray it's gonna be the lens, so i don't know if i'll be able to play PS3 (or whatever) games on my PS3 in 30 years :'(

Digital only is the future tho :3

8. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

^ HDD are also discs don't forget!

9. Chaosblade77

For longevity, digital is definitely a better option than any physical media. The whole idea is that your games are always* there and available. Of course, with closed hardware and planned obsolescence, consoles basically lose out on that benefit. It's definitely there for PC and probably mobile though.

Digital definitely has its trade-offs, but a digital game can theoretically last forever*.

10. conurebleu

conurebleu New Member

Lifetime of a disc? o_O Man never heard of that..my precious collection Y_Y

11. Chaosblade77

Depends on the disc and the conditions they are stored in. Under ideal conditions many could last for 100+ years, but that's not realistic for most discs.

Some people have already had issues with PS1 discs going bad. Disc rot, warping, etc.

12. conurebleu

conurebleu New Member

So if kept at low humidity and 15-20 C....? XD

13. Chaosblade77

Keep them vertical too, keeping them horizontal is what can cause warping. And for the most ideal conditions also without manuals or other paper in the case.

14. conurebleu

conurebleu New Member

Hum..half of them are horizontal, but I move the booklet on the other side to prevent such a thing too.

15. ceruleanstars

ceruleanstars New Member

My experience is that homemade CD-Rs and DVD-Rs (the ones you can buy in big multipacks) are usually much cheaper and have a much shorter lifespan than commercially produced ones. Sometimes they can just stop working even if you store them under completely ideal circumstances. My roommate was going through her music collection recently and found a bunch of her mix CDs and recordings that had just stopped working for some reason and are now basically coasters. Some of them were less than ten years old. On the other hand, I've never had a commercial CD that stopped working on me (yet, knock on wood) and I've had games in storage for years that turned out to still work. Though I guess it also depends on how often you use them and the physical condition of the CD itself.

I've never heard the thing about keeping them vertical, though I have definitely heard that about vinyl records (that keeping them horizontal is a bad idea because it makes them warp over time). Guess I should change how I'm storing some of my PS1 games.