I Love Xseed, But I Have Issues With The Forum

Discussion in 'I H8 XSEED' started by Blackiris, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't recommend doing this with too many threads, but if there are a few in particular you care about more than others, you can always "watch" the thread (at the top of the thread, to the right). You'll get an alert anytime there's a new post in any thread you watch.

The same applies to watching specific forums (I assume; I haven't tried watching one).

2. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

I thought about that, but I'm kinda everywhere. Sometimes I forget where I just posted in too, and some topics show my avatar as the "last" poster, despite in text having someone else more recently posted on it. So yeah I dunno. I'd get way too many alerts too >_>

3. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

I assume the problem is that New Posts only shows unread ones?

You could just disable alerts for new posts and use watch forums/threads instead. The link at the bottom shows everything instead of just new posts.

4. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

My new issue with teh forum: Can we plz have some new verification to combat these Chinese spammers? We can't even read their ads, so they're already screwing up, and I don't have time to report... HOW many pages? >_>

5. UltraKyu

UltraKyu Active Member

Seconded.

6. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

I don't know what's going on with the Chinese spammers, but yeah, I think I'm going to turn on manual verifications for the time being. I check the forums daily anyway, so nobody should find themselves waiting too long to be verified, and it will definitely help combat spammers until a better solution can be found.

-Tom

7. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Sometimes I just don't understand forum spammers, in general. "English site? Time to type in Chinese/Russian/etc!!"

8. omgfloofy

omgfloofy Well-Known Member

I think it's not so much intended to sell us what they're doing, but instead it's SEO manipulation. If these ads get left up and alive for long enough, search engine crawlers will begin to find them and when people search for those terms, these posts and ads help push what they're advertising to the top of the first page due to a combination of quantity and relevance to the the particular search term. I didn't see the ads long enough to really know for sure, but that's what a majority of these spambots are doing, anyway.

9. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Ah that makes sense then, along with them posting in whatever language they are trying to advertise for. Spam it everywhere on the Internet, let the search bots find them.

10. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

Since I can't read Chinese and didn't pay much attention anyways, here's my best guess: Virility-enhancing quantum nutritional supplements based on Traditional Chinese Medicine(tm) that will make you earn millions of dollars while working from your cold fusion-powered home made out of magnetic crystals.

In slightly more seriousness, the spam all had the name of a university (in English) at the end so I imagine that was the term they were hoping crawlers would pick up.

11. omgfloofy

omgfloofy Well-Known Member

Pretty much. They're using a really frustrating way to perform SEO manipulation, when those of us who run legit websites have to fight to do it the proper and less unscrupulous way. lol

12. BenoitRen

BenoitRen Member

Yes! I finally logged in! The try-registering-then-cancel method works!

13. BenoitRen

BenoitRen Member

It looks like it may have something to do with the domain. Shortly after the above message, I got mysteriously logged out, and couldn't log back in. When I started from XSEED Games's home page, suddenly I was logged in, and now, some time later, I see that I'm on their domain, not marvelous-usa.com.

14. nivora

nivora Active Member

@Wyrdwad Where can i disable getting mail notifications? I know i should be able to turn them off but i cannot find it
    as much as i like watching the kiseki threads i do not need a constant stream of mails :p

15. NesterTheLark

NesterTheLark Member

I think what you're looking for is under "Preferences." Uncheck where it says, "and receive email notifications of replies."

16. nivora

nivora Active Member

i already have unchecked that, I'm going to assume it's the forum being buggy. I also post on an other forum that has the same code and it is filled with bug inconsistencies like not being able to turn of mails, not being able to create posts, ...

17. NesterTheLark

NesterTheLark Member

I have no idea if this is just on my end or not, but I thought I'd bring it up.

I've been messing around with different browsers lately, and I'm unable to sign into the forum using Opera. I put in my username/email and password, and the forum refreshes as if I'm being logged in, except I'm not logged in. I don't get any error messages of any kind (as I do if I put in an incorrect password), it just doesn't log in. Opera does give me a notice that the connection is insecure (as mentioned in another thread), but I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Anyway, not a big deal for me, as I have no trouble signing in with other browsers (Firefox, Edge), but just wanted to mention it.

18. Yuri

Yuri Well-Known Member

I kind of wish there were variants of the current forum skin - a dark skin with a narrow layout would be amazing.

saldite likes this.