Help Me Build/find A Gaming Pc?

Discussion in 'Mostly Harmless (Serious Discussion)' started by ShikouNagakura, Jan 5, 2016.

1. ShikouNagakura

ShikouNagakura New Member

So when I start working again I plan on getting a PS4 while on the side I plan on saving up to get a new computer (ether desktop or laptop). I need a new one anyway because my current one is a Windows Vista and its like 8 to 9 years old. I believe most new updates do not support my computer anymore and there was one a few years back that made my computer unstable and barely usable because of abnormal lag until I wiped my hard drive with a reboot disc putting everything back to factory settings (as if its brand new again when i first turned it on).

What I plan to do on my new computer (ether desktop or laptop) is video editing, PC gaming, streaming on twitch, possibly recording off video game consoles and having a second monitor. I also would like to screen record off my screen when I do gameplay videos of PC games with high settings. I talked with somebody on a chat, I told her when I used to make AMV videos a 4 minute video (SD 480p quality) takes about 20 - 30 minutes to render then I told her a 4 minute video widescreen with HD 720p quality video takes about an hour or an hour and a half to render. For her she told me it takes 15 minutes to render a 30 minute HD 1080p video. I want something like that because as somebody that likes editing something like this is ideal. Most of the time I dont do videos anymore is due to rendering times.

If it helps what kind of PC gaming I plan to have, I have the specs of some games I have on my steam that i currently cant play on my current PC.

http://i.imgur.com/nkywDNM.png

This is the type of games on steam I have I can play

http://i.imgur.com/mIpekkP.png

Of course, these are my specs. Keep in mind, I had no knowledge when it came to good computer specs at the time. THis was like 2007 or 2008 and I was like 13 at the time (now 21).

Product details
    Installed memory: 1 GB RAM
    Graphics processor: Intel GPU
    Processor speed: 1.6 GHz
    Operating system: Windows
    Drive capacity: 250 GB Drive
    Style: Tower

So if anyone has any suggestions for an already pre-built computer that would be good. If not and I have to build my own then what should I have? Also can someone explain what V RAM is? Should I be worried about it even if I have the best performing computer?

2. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

VRAM is the graphics card (GPU) memory. It's extremely important for gaming.

Prebuilts are generally a bad idea if building is an option, outside the very rare exception when a good prebuilt is very heavily discounted or has some huge rebates. Depending on how much you spend, prebuilts can cost literally twice as much for similar specs to something built yourself.

So you basically want to do video editing and gaming. Streaming isn't really hardware intensive and recording console games will require an accessory, so neither of those will affect your core specs. The sky is the limit here, or really, your budget. Video editing is very CPU and RAM intensive, a good i7 processor would be beneficial but is probably outside your budget. Modern software does have the GPU help out in video editing, but it's still mostly a CPU oriented task, and the better the CPU the faster it's going to be. So for gaming you just need to add in a good GPU.

What's your budget? That would be a good starting point.

And what's the game on the bottom left of the first image? Because that has some pretty high requirements.

3. SavannahBlossom

SavannahBlossom New Member

@Chaosblade77: That game on the bottom-left is MGSV: The Phantom Pain.
    ---------------

Aye, VRAM is very important for gaming. That's where all your textures are stored for quick access without the need to read and swap from your RAM or HDD. A VRAM bottleneck will massively hinder your video games as they have to cache new textures every time it needs to swap. In this day and age, 2GB is minimum, 4GB is ideal.

As Chaosblade said, a budget is a good point to start from, however, even without a budget, you did give me enough guidelines with what you want to do to help you out a bit. As you DO conduct video editing, you're looking at a i5 MINIMUM. Preferably an i7. i5 is ideal for gaming, as hyperthreading does next to nothing for the average game. But since you do perform video rendering and edits, an i7 will actually cut down significantly on your render times. Sadly, until AMD unleashes their Zen CPU set, I cannot recommend an AMD processor. They were already suffering back in 2014, and now, versus Skylake, they're ancient in comparison and not worth the cost savings. (Not trying to diss any AMD fans here, but their CPUs need a refresh, which Zen will provide)

Here's some builds from varying price points:

Budget Build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GZTGyc

Use this as a guideline. You don't have to get every part specifically listed here, but it should provide you with a good starting point. (Or you can literally just get everything here and follow it to a T, if you'd like) The i5 is pretty much minimum for what you want to do. Since you're going to be doing video editing and some gaming, you really can't go much cheaper than the $750 here.

High End Build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KQWgVn

This is literally just a swap of the i5 for a top-of-the-line Skylake i7. It bumps your cost up to around $1000, but it will DESTROY video editing in the fastest possible time for you. If saving some video rendering time is super-important for you and will incentivize you to do more video editing and producing, then this is what you want. Otherwise, the i5 above will also do the job just fine, doubtlessly much quicker than what you have at the moment, just not quite to the level of what the i7 with its 8 threads and quicker clockspeed will do. At this point, you have to judge whether you want to save some money and go for the i5 or pay the extra $300+ bucks for the i7.

Normally, I would never recommend someone an i7 since, ordinarily, the cost versus performance isn't worth it for most gamers, but as I said, you're a video editor, so you will see a nice bump up in performance with an i7. So ultimately, it's up to you and your budget.

Last note:
    I would never recommend a prebuilt to anyone. Ever. Only time I'd do that is for a low-end consumer who only wants to web browse. Anyone who wants to do something more intensive WILL be disappointed by what prebuilts offer. I also caution people away from sites such as Cyberpower, IBuyPower, FalconPC, etc. They DO offer custom PCs at a moderate premium, but the ugly nature of this beast comes out if you have any issues or need to return faulty parts. They will NOT honor their warranty and will try to put the fault on you, their customer. It's MUCH better to look up some youtube videos and build your PC on your own. NewEgg and Manufacturers are MUCH better at honoring their warranty on individual parts versus sites such as the ones listed above that offer custom builds. Also, PCGamer this month (January issue) has a half-way decent article on how to build your PC from scratch. It doesn't offer part recommendations or whatnot in the article itself (though it does in the back), but if you want a half-way decent guide on how to build a PC from scratch with pictures, it's not a bad way to go about it as a reference.

EDIT:
    Fixed broken PCPartPicker links.

Bonus Round:
    I kept it off to save cost, but I do highly recommend grabbing a SSD drive. You'll be ASTOUNDED by what they can do for your PC performance and especially boot-up times. Crucial has a heavenly SSD drive at a great price here. http://goo.gl/en9CnG

You'll also notice an OS isn't listed. My personal opinion: It's better to get OSes off Grey Market sites. Such as this: http://goo.gl/KXmUTX . Saves you a ton of money as a whole, and in my experience, they're reliable. This one is up to you as people have MANY different thoughts about the grey market, but I've used them to save money in situations like these where paying more just isn't beneficial. [And no, they're not illegal or 'fake', but again, using the grey market or not is really up to you]

If you're wondering 'well, it's great to have a key, but how do I install the OS itself?' : https://goo.gl/ho540r Windows has an official 'make the latest build of Windows 10 to an ISO' tool. All you gotta do is burn it to a DVD and pop it in, or it'll even give you the option to put the installer onto an USB drive if you have the USB drive in before you start the tool. Pretty snazzy.

4. Chaosblade77

I think you could shave off some of the price on that. A good 550W PSU would be fine for any single GPU build, especially of we assume he isn't overclocking. Also don't know that he needs a Z170 board, budget boards from good manufactures are fine, just no overclocking.

Personally wouldn't recommend a Seagate either, but all hard drives suck regardless.

I also remember the days when that case ran for like $25.

Worth checking out sites like Slickdeals, occasionally some good component deals pop up. PCpartpicker doesn't always pick up some short lived discounts.

5. ShikouNagakura

Wow, thanks a lot you two!

About AMD:
    Yeah, when I shared a link to a laptop to a friend he said it was decent but he was iffy about the AMD processor because he doesn't have any good memories with AMD.

I would prefer a i7 since it seems to be the best. I dont really have much of a budget, I wouldn't mind waiting a bit longer before building the PC but everything you guys have been saying sounds good. But if I really cant do it then I'll go with a i5.

If you're still wondering what I have planned well I'll just make a list

-Gaming
    -Video Editing
    -Possibly make character model renders
    -Web browsing (of course)
    -Second screen (to make editing easier or use netflix while browsing)
    -I like watching movies so a Blu Ray and DVD drive would be nice
    -Possibly burn all 3 CD, Blu Ray, and DVD discs
    -Streaming games on Twitch ether its on a console or a game from my computer
    -Screen recording (like games and such)

About recording off a console,
    Somebody I know from another forum uses a capture card installed to his computer (if I remember right) am I better off with an accessory like ChaosBlade said?

I think thats all I plan on doing.

Since we got making a desktop PC out of the way, is it possible to build a laptop?

Can somebody explain why disc drives go very hot? Also can someone explain why my current one cant read some DVDs? Maybe the quality of the DVD disc is too high for the drive? I often buy DVDs that are recently released so maybe it cant handle new ones all that well? I dont know exactly what DVD drive my computer uses but its a model SR5310F

6. Chaosblade77

You can't really build a laptop, no.

A capture card is what I was referring to as an accessory, since it's not a core component. You can get internal or external capture cards, which is ideal for you depends on what you want to do with it. If you just want to record over HDMI, the HD60 is well regarded. If you want to record older systems via other signals you probably want to look into something else.

Can't really answer about discs, I basically never use any discs on PC anymore and don't remember them being warm. If the drive is old it might be going out though, which would be why it can't read some discs.

7. SavannahBlossom

There are custom laptops out there (Sager and Cyberpower jump to mind), but I also urge you away from those as well. My recommendation for what you need is this laptop, if you choose to go the portable route: http://goo.gl/tjB0Nt

I've had three separate laptops over the years, and ASUS ROG is the only one I'd recommend for one primary reason: Heat dissipation. I've had a Dell and Toshiba laptop and both had issues with their processors hitting the thermal ceiling with a light load within 15 minutes. Just awful. My ASUS ROG, on the other hand, sits happily at 55c at real world load and only skirts around 67c synthetic 100% load induced by benchmarking. A world of difference from my past laptops, which loved thermal throttling themselves over nothing. Not to mention the heat underneath your poor hands on the keyboard. As you can see from the pricing, however, you are going to pay a hefty premium for portability. However, this laptop will come close to trading blows with the above desktops setups I listed.

Note about your DVD issues:

Hard to say on that. My first thought is, if your DVD drive is old enough, it might struggle reading dual-layer DVDs. Second thought is that it just might be its age.

Final Note:

The main thing you'll be sacrificing by going portable is your graphic card performance. The 380 is significantly more powerful than the 960M. You won't get desktop type performance (graphic-card wise) without paying closer to $2,000. The 960M is an extremely competent 720p gaming card, but you won't get 1080p gaming @ 60 FPS without turning the settings down with modern games. But if you don't mind gaming at 720p, then this is a non-issue, just something to be aware of.

8. ShikouNagakura

About PC
    So Im pretty much going the i7 route. I've noticed that nether links had a disc drive. What disc drive would you recommend for using and burning CD, DVD, and Blu Ray? Hypothetically I buy all the parts, all parts should be compatible with each other right? I remember that there seems to be a war like Intel vs AMD but can AMD parts really work with Intel? This is my console mind being skeptical about buying parts from a different source/brand and mixing them together like trying to use a PS4 controller on a XONE and vice versa.

Whats the best monitors to use if I want two screens?

About Laptop,
    I think I would be fine if a laptop can run Dead or Alive 5: Last Round (game specs here) I remember seeing somebody post a picture of being on a plane and having the game running as he's on so I thought the idea of playing DOA outside of your home is pretty cool or if I get around to getting back to school or whatever. I can use it when my PC is rendering or whenever I rather be in the comfort of my bed than sit on a flat wooden chair using Skype, FB chat, etc.

Btw, thank you both a lot. I really like what you two have been saying for the past few days. Sorry if Im asking so many questions, Im like so new to this and my console compatibility mind is getting in the way in it all x__x

9. Chaosblade77

It's good to be informed, so questions are good.

Most builds don't include disc drives these days since many people don't use discs with PCs anymore, or they have an old drive that works just fine. I can't personally recommend a drive because I haven't bought or paid any attention to them in probably almost a decade. But optical drives are pretty straightforward, there's a LG BD r/w drive for $43, I'd probably just go with that. Might not be the fastest or best, but it should do fine unless you plan to burn a lot of discs.

Compatibility is mostly a non-issue. There are only a handful of things that you really need to worry about as far as functionality goes - CPU socket, RAM type (for right now), power supply capability, and of course whether everything will fit in the case. A few minor things too (like case USB support vs motherboard USB) but they don't matter too much and are easy to work around. As far as your concern, you can use an AMD GPU with an Intel CPU just fine. Or an Nvidia GPU with an AMD CPU.

And monitors aren't really my strong suite either, but any will be compatible with each other. It comes down to preference, some people like to have the same monitor for consistency, since different types of panels will have slightly different appearance. Some people just want the same size. Other people like different sizes, or want a horizontal + vertical orientation, or simply don't care and take whatever.

Outside of general quality, you want to consider what sort of features you want in a monitor. 120/144hz for high refresh rates (smoother image), Gsync/freesync for variable refresh (smoother image, primarily for gaming), ultrawide/21:9 aspect ratio, high resolution/PPI (4k, etc). More/better features are going to cost more, both in terms of the price of the monitor and the price of the GPU needed to take advantage of it. Of course there's nothing wrong with "settling" for one or two solid, basic 1080p monitors.

10. SavannahBlossom

Gotta run to work, so I don't have time to reply in full depth this round. Chaosblade covered most of it pretty well, but I'll cover what I can.

First off: The laptop.
    I did some quick research to double check, and there's reports of people running the game (Dead or Alive 5: Last Round PC) on a laptop with an 860M (Last generation's 960M) at max settings 1080p @ 60 FPS. So the above laptop I mentioned would run it at 1080p max no problems whatsoever based on that. In general, that ASUS laptop will run everything at 720p Ultra @ 60 FPS without issue and also run a few titles (either old or not-so-demanding ones) at 1080p High/Ultra @ 60 FPS. However, if you are also considering other laptops than the one I listed, make sure it has a discrete (non-CPU bound) graphics card and make sure that graphics card is at least as powerful as the 960M. You probably won't find a competent gaming laptop that can actually run modern games short of $1k, though.

Second:
    As I said, most of what Chaosblade said covers the rest. I would normally say "Just pop any old disk drive you have lying around into your current build", but as you said in the past, your current DVD drive is having issues, so your best bet is grabbing any non-Generic cheap DVD/BluRay drive and pop it in there. There's not that much quality differences in disk drives these days, so just get a reliable brand like LG and pop it in. Monitors are, as said above, more personal taste and what you want out of them. There's tons of options, including super-low latency monitors, G-Sync, etc. So this is the point where you'll really have to start googling and reading up on it and deciding what you want. However, if you really don't care about all that and just want a decent, all-around monitor without all the bells and whistles, just go with reliable brands and a smart price point and just focus on the size you want.

11. lail

lail Well-Known Member

High end laptops also tend to be quite heavy, so they are not really the most comfortable option always. Just something that should be considered if you are going for laptop.

12. akito666

akito666 New Member

Although I am late to the party but I will input my share:

http://store.asus.com/us/item/201510AM090006012

I suggest buying the Asus ROG (Republic of Gamers) G752VT-DH72.

Intel i7 quad-core @ 2.6ghz with turbo speed of 3.5ghz
    16 GB DDR4 MHz SDRAM, up to 64 GB
    17.3" 16:9 IPS FHD (1920x1080) Hardware supported G-Sync
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 970M with 3GB GDDR5
    1TB 7200RPM + 128GB SSD (PCIEG3x4)
    1 x HDMI
    Built-in Speakers And Built-in subwoofer
    66WHrs, 3S2P, 6-cell Li-ion Battery
    Weight=8.8 pounds

I recommend buying Windows 7 Professional OS and do a downgrade after backing up all the pre-installed programs that you like or is expensive.
    Before you do a downgrade, you should do a little research and read some tutorials as that downgrading Win10 may be a bit of a hassle but if you succeed, it would be fantastic!!