General Gaming News Topic

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by Ammy175, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Kintoki

Kintoki New Member

I think its hilarious, because (if it's true), of all the choices they could have made, they decided to change the job title from something referencing native americans, to something commonly correlated with the genocide of said native americans.

Edit: Seeing that the name of the attack shown in that picture is called Sidewinder, it seems like the job got its name from the tomahawk missile, and out of the missile names, they probably thought this was one they could create an outfit themed on.

2. Aluja

Aluja New Member

How did they collectively agree on this change? It also looks absolutely awful.

3. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Well-Known Member

What is this Redskins controversy happening at Nintendo's doorstep?

4. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was wrong. That sort of shows how little I care about the NFL, I was always under the impression Washington refered to the state and not DC.

So not at their doorstep, but still, I'd imagine it's for similar reasons.

(It's funny, I watch a lot of college football but I couldn't even name and place 5 NFL teams.)

5. Theswweet

Theswweet Active Member

I swear, it's like we've regressed back to the 90's nowadays. What the hell happened?

6. Kintoki

Kintoki New Member

Nintendo reads too much Neogaf.

7. Theswweet

Theswweet Active Member

It would be bad enough if it was just Nintendo, but I've also been hearing about stuff regarding Blade & Soul.

8. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Well-Known Member

I have the opposite problem. Could always name and place NFL teams, but always been really confused about some colleges. Couldn't have told you where Tulane, Northwestern, Duke, Rice, Seton Hall, Villanova, Creighton, or Ball State were until I was an adult. Still couldn't tell you where Quinnipiac or Bemidji State are.

9. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

To be fair, I only watch FBS football, and even then I don't pay toooo much attention to teams from the minor conferences, generally only the ones with regular success. That ends up being like 60 teams, and even many of those aren't really relevant on a national scale and worth paying any attention to. So yeah, I know Northwestern and Duke, familiar with Tulane, Rice, and Ball State. Some of those others I've never heard of though (I know Villanova is a basketball school, at least).

10. Kintoki

Kintoki New Member

Apparently KT isn't going to be bringing DOA Extreme 3 to the west because...reasons. : /

11. Ryos

Ryos Active Member

Nintendo's been whiffing a lot lately on their censoring decisions lately and this is certainly one of their screwier choices. So yeah, clearly we can tell based on the original outfit that this was hardly an appropriate homage in this completely PC climate, but going with an alternate version based on a far darker historical reference? Really. Does make you wonder if Shadow Hearts: From the New World would have had to have significant changes were it released now because clearly Shania and Natan are totally offensive. Hell, Shania's got that whole underboob thing going and we can't be having underboob in the US. Gratuitious violence, though? No problem.

I KNEW Marie Rose would kill DOA! But on a more serious note, I wonder if KT might be willing to let some other company release it here if they wanted to since KT clearly doesn't?

12. Kintoki

Kintoki New Member

Someone has to be willing to fight for life and hometown, lol.

13. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Lots of companies are really scared lately about outrage. It's really getting out of hand. How much worse can DoA3 be? I mean, really...

Edit: Just saw the official word on it and literally they are skipping it in fear of western outrage because of "issues with women's image in games". If it was a big issue globally, Japan wouldn't be making them. But because this all got out of hand, the censoring is starting up again :/

I really wish those that are online outraging at video games would go help out with charities or womens' centers or something if it means that much, instead of talking about how gross fiction is.

Ramble ramble

14. kopykatx

kopykatx Active Member

For the first point, I disagree. All that would happen IMO is they'd stop releasing games internationally. Japan has a big isolationist streak, and really doesn't care much for the rest of the world.

For the second, I agree. But that's the whole point; they don't stand for anything. They just stand against everything they decide they don't like. They are essentially nihilists, IMO.

15. Theswweet

Theswweet Active Member

I've been watching Play-Asia have a ball with the news all over twitter; I'm guessing they're ready to take advantage of the fact that every system that DOAX3 is on is region-free, and there's an Asian English release.

[twitter]Playasia[/twitter]

16. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Yeah that is true that Japan still gunna Japan. I mena ultimately nothing will really come out of the "change womens' roles in games" because sexy stuff will always come out, in EVERY medium.

And yeah I just finished reading on GAF how Play-Asia did their whole joke, which although was unprofessional, has many people wanting to: boycott them, assume they are a hate group, assume they are from Gamergate, and so on. Both side of the whole Gamergate thing is just :/ I'm on neither side cause as one person put it on GAF, even on 4chan with GG people talking about SJW, the argument is the same from opposite ends. I feel that happens a lot :/

Still, I get how people are saying that K-T pulled this out of their butts and made a controversy when there was none, which is true, but they are doing it out of caution because of all the stuff going on in the past year. DoAX is a step above in lewdness, sure, but companies are being more cautious (see: Nintendo, SE, etc.) XSEED of course wouldn't go that way (see: SK: Bon Apetit!) Not that they made a good decision, but everyone is walking on eggshells right now, and it's dumb on all sides :/ I mean, if people freak out over a red Starbucks cup... >_>

Imma ramble too much cause it's all blehhh

17. Theswweet

Theswweet Active Member

The whole GG thing is just... I wrote an editorial basically saying that the controversy itself has become much more toxic than any one "side" on its own a year ago, and it's really only gotten worst. Everyone is a goshdarn reactionary, especially the ones that like to use the word "reactionary" the most.

As for imageboards... I don't go on 4chan much anymore besides /vg/ and /a/, but at least on 8chan I can see what you mean. I can understand being beyond frustrated with all this censorship recently, but I freaking posted saying that I was worried about how they were going to localize Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon before the western release, without saying for sure that it was going to be censored or anything (and it didn't) but because someone said that they were worried about the localization on the internet, not even a week later any discussion of the game was half-filled with people acting like the translation was going to be horrible.

It's just... frustrating on every side.

18. Akeashar

Akeashar Active Member

And thats the thing, really, more and more companies are just going to do stealth localizations through English releases on the Asian consoles. That way the people that want the games can get them region-free, the companies can have their worldwide sales, and the prudes can live happily with the knowledge that the West has (supposedly) been kept free of that lewdness. (and continue avoiding beaches because of the swimsuits and sunbathers)

Called it when we got MoeChro, was justified with DoA:X, just need to have it proven with a MoeCry english release. ^~

19. Theswweet

Theswweet Active Member

http://nichegamer.com/2015/09/moero-crystal-getting-english-translation-in-asia/

20. kopykatx

kopykatx Active Member

How long til they start screaming for region-locking, though. <_< They really are the modern-day version of the Temperance groups(and that worked so good back then :rolleyes:)
    Yeah, I don't like either side, too. But that's the problem with radicals. They try to get everyone on a side. All Black-and-White. It's all so obnoxious. I just wanna play games :(.