General Gaming News Topic

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by Ammy175, Oct 23, 2015.

1. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

I think that could be exactly the way they work if they think sales are impacted enough, and with a release like FF7R I wouldnt bet against it. I think Delays work in what ever way they need to make sure the product comes out healthy in the market, whether its for monetary or game development/QA reasons.

2. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

Game aren't delayed to hit certain dates, in fact, quite the opposite, they're usually rushed for whatever date was originally planned, they're not like movies that held back, sometimes for like a year, to hit a certain time. They just come out when they come out, as otherwise your team is sitting around not doing a lot. Got to have the next thing rolling and this one making money.
    I also don't think the overlapping venn diagram between the two games is actually that big?
    They both are very different games.

3. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Not to pick on you or this situation specifically, AnimeGamer183, because I've never understood this. This is not an idea I can get behind, as I don't see the logic of it. I DO think it's a coincidence that the delays happened within days of each other. I'm not sure what reason you have to think it can't be one.

I see people saying it a lot in comments on articles, too, saying that 'Wow, Y Game releasing on the same day/week/month as X Game is suicide! They're just sending it out to die!'...but I don't get it. Those statements always sound crazy to me. Why would a game need to be delayed because another game is releasing near it, even if there were a lot of fan overlap?

For example...I really, really want RF4S. Almost as much as I want Animal Crossing. If they released on the very same day, I would still buy them both, day one. Now, if I had twelve games releasing in the same month, yeah, I'd have to stagger when I bought them, cuz I can't afford that. That has never happened, of course. It's very rare for me to even have three games I want release in one month. Most months I'm lucky to get one. But even so, if they were all games I really wanted, I'd still buy them all eventually. But knowing half a year in advance would give me plenty of time to save up, too, so even though I normally would hold myself to not buying more than 2 games a month, I could afford more than that if I knew to expect them, and I'm as poor as dirt. So I just don't understand where the idea that people will only buy one game they want per month is coming from.

I also think the popularity of Final Fantasy VII is being severely overestimated if people think it's going to be the only thing anyone wants to buy for five months. I know a bunch of people who, like me, want the game...but mostly fairly casually. None of them (maybe one) has it on their 'most anticipated game of the year' list.

Naturally, people can think what they want, but I've never been able to be convinced of this whole idea. No one has ever shown me any proof of a highly-anticipated game ending up as a financial failure because it released in the same month as another highly-anticipated game. Should this proof actually exist, that'd be interesting to see.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Ammy175 likes this.
  4. AnimeGamer183

I am not saying it cant be a coincidence, I just find it hard to believe given the circumstances. For example one thing that makes me think it might not be is the fact the delay happened on January 16th, exactly 3 months before release, but even then, it may or may not mean anything. We'll never know and it all is just speculation and conjecture.

But to reply to your other comments, I think it just comes down to each persons individual situation, how much time they have to game during any particular duration of time, or between new games coming out, weighing the pros and cons to make a purchase, buying games at full price on launch, waiting for sales. The impact on the games health buying on launch vs buying on sale later, all of these impacts the developers company profits and it does make a difference. And from the developer side, PR and reasoning that will likely be the most publically accepted for a delayed game to not hurt the game later on, For example KH3's delay last year where they moved the release from the very busty holiday time frame to January. If you are a gamer and see that 4 or 5 games you are interested in are coming out at around the same time, and depending on the length of the game as well, you might have to make a decision of what you will buy first for full price vs what you buy later for probably cheaper. Also you have to factor in hype and how bad you want to play a game on launch and converse with your friends or peers about said game to enhance the "playing on launch experience" which some people really enjoy. There are just so many factors to why these things happen, every on is different and it all varies from company to company and game to game, and developers have formulas to anticipate this based on market trends etc but when dealing with big AAA games like these, I think these are the most likely to fall into these categories of devs wanting to get out of each others way and release games during a much less crowded time frame for the health of the game. There is also Gamer Wallet Fatigue this list of factors goes on and on and on.

5. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

What, exactly, is the logic here?

6. AnimeGamer183

who knows? You'd have to ask CD Projekt Red why they chose an even exactly 3 months before the initial release date. I am just saying because it was exactly 3 months that may have meant something? Its really grasping at straws on that one lol

7. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

I think that's just coincidence, or they decided internally that was when the announcement was going out save some sudden turnaround.
    Also they're a publicly traded company so shareholders are a whole Thing.

8. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

CD Projekt Red would not delay their game due to FFVIIR moving closer to their date. Simply put, if it was FFVII head to head with Cyberpunk, I think Cyberpunk would've stomped FFVII into the pavement. Especially here in the West. But no, I'm sure the delays come from there being bugs and such still present (probably moreso than CDPR want).

9. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I don't have a huge pool of people to get a good statistical sampling, but among all the gamers I know, I'd have to say that Cyberpunk has more hype going, and if any of those interested in both games were for some reason forced to choose only one game to buy, they'd go with Cyberpunk. I think people are less hyped for FFVII because it's not just a remake, it's only part of a remake, which reduces its value compared to an all new and totally complete game that they're really liking the look of. So basically, from what I personally have gathered, I agree that they have no reason to delay their game out of fear of being overshadowed by FFVII Remake. Most of those I've talked to do want the game, but not urgently...like they'd be okay with waiting a while to play it if they had reason to.

10. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

Speaking of FFVIIR:

Gotta say, this trailer's done the most of all of them so far to sell me on the game. At this point, I'd almost prefer a Squeenix-produced FFVII CG anime, but hey, if there's one thing you can count on from Final Fantasy these days, it's huge production values. And this guy looks like it'll have a bit more personality that FFXV to go with that (which, don't get me wrong, I liked FFXV a lot, but it didn't really leave an impact on me). Still probably not a day one for me, but at this rate I probably won't even wait for a significant price drop (which is big for me).

Ammy175 likes this.
  11. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

Yeah, definitely liked that trailer; showed off some pretty interesting stuff (keeping in mind that I haven't played the original FF7, so it's entirely possible that that stuff was uninteresting in the grand scheme of things). Part of that's probably just cuz it was something that we haven't already seen in, like, every other trailer, but still, definitely looking forward to April.

SMH, not using my FF7R thread to post that in.

AttentionDeficitGuy likes this.
  12. AttentionDeficitGuy

Oh, um... yeah, I TOTALLY meant to post it here instead of on your FF7R thread to snub you! Yeah! Because I REMEMBERED that thread exists, and just chose not to use it! It's not like I have a bad memory or anything! My mind is a PERFECT, FLAWLESS instrument of PRECISION. YEAH! I'M GOOD AT FORUMING!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna... NOT post this video on the FF7R thread! Yeah! Continue taking that, Ammy! I'm gonna... I'm gonna... shit.

:D

Ammy175 likes this.
  13. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

So I know a few of you, at least, like Animal Crossing and are looking forward to New Horizons. I haven't been following the news super close, as it makes me twitchy for release day, so I'm not sure how fresh this news is. But since they showed us the game at E3 and I saw that we could make paths, I've been dying to know if they'd let us put down more than dirt, for paths. I want to know this even more than if they're going to end up giving us any amiibo compatibility or cloud saves, lol. And something surfaced on...Twitter, I think. An advert in Taiwan, which shows not just brick paths (or possibly a terracotta path?) but also staircases, built to access the higher level of terrain. You can see where that news comes from in this video (it's a 5 minute video but the information starts at 15 seconds in, so it doesn't take long to get to the good part.)

This news is probably only of interest to a rather small group of people, but it made my morning, lol.

14. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

This news interests me highly.

Also that new Animal Crossing Switch is murdering my soul because I can't justify it.

Kikki likes this.
  15. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

How about decals? There are already at least two officially-licensed skins available. :) (See them on Amazon.com)

DustyStarr likes this.
  16. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

That first one is nice... but I don't trust myself with decals, I'm nervous they would get put on all sloppy. X3 I would also need new joycons since I am currently using the Hori Left one since ALL my left joycons currently suck.... maybe I should send them into Nintendo now that I think about it, I think they fix them no matter what...

17. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Because of all the cutouts for the sticks and buttons that you have to align with to press the decals down, it's actually pretty hard to put them on wrong as long as everything is clean. I put decals on mine. In fact, in that link I gave above, the third one down is a BotW sheikah decal set...I have that one on mine and it looks great...irl it's even better than the pictures. Looks very natural in person, like they aren't decals at all.

[​IMG]

But if you're nervous anyway, maybe a friend or family member could do it for you?

I have 3 sets of joy-cons and none of them have drift (though in all of them, the battery depletes MUCH faster in the left one. I don't know if that's an issue, or if the left side depletes faster because it uses more energy through being the movement or direction stick.) But I have heard that just cleaning the bit under the control stick often solves drift (until/unless they become grubby again). This video shows how, but to be clear, you're meant to use electrical contact cleaner, NOT the form of WD-40 he's got there for demonstration purposes. :eek: (Grease would seriously not be good, lol.)

Seems worth a try. I have a friend who had drift problems, did the cleaning thing, and so far has not had the issue reoccur at all. Though if it worked for even a few months, it doesn't seem like a big deal to spend a few minutes cleaning them that often. I'll be trying it if mine ever start to drift, anyway.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  18. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

*flapflap* Double posting may be slightly naughty (?) but I'm doing it anyway!

I just saw the new Nintendo commercial for New Horizons, showing the game being played on the Lite. At first all I really noticed was the fenced pear trees, but thanks to an AC blog-type fan site's screenshot, I've now realized that we have proof of different town maps, now. (See the site and commercial here.) That was one of my worries so far, was that we only ever saw one type of island. I thought it was probably just the developers island that they work on, but we had no proof and a bunch of people speculated that everyone would have the same type of island (all with an identical map.) But the map in the screenshot is definitely different, so...woot! :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  19. AttentionDeficitGuy

In case you didn't already know, it turns out you'll be able to buy the dock and joycons separately from Nintendo's Japanese online store! [link]

20. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

There's also been news that we will have very limited ability to back up the game. It seems that it won't be an option unless your Switch is lost or damaged (no word on if 'damaged' includes corrupted data, or if your Switch has to be stomped to smithereens or something.) I believe they're doing this because save data for ACNH is not under a user profile, but under the Switch itself...everyone shares the same save data. So you can't just replace one person's data. I guess that's also why they've told us we won't be able to transfer ACNH to a new console if we were to buy a new one some day.

This is better than nothing, but I wish they hadn't arranged it this way. Maybe it was the only way they could do it without it being massive trouble, I don't know, but...I wish it could save to the cartridge, like it did in New Leaf. That way you could still have multiple towns too, if you bought more than one copy. But I don't know how it works.