General Gaming News Topic

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by Ammy175, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, it's all self-inflicted to various degrees.
    But it's because big publishers, at the behest of their shareholders, are all in on the "go big or go home" approach which, errr, doesn't really make for a sustainable model.

And this is probably why I end up mostly playing smaller stuff, it's often more interesting as they can afford to be so.

2. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

I generally do either first party stuff (since it is USUALLY less subject to the AAA shit......... usually...) or smaller games, same. I can not remember the last big third party AAA game I really got into.

3. DustyStarr

Suda and Swery livestream at 3AM PST tonight, they will be announcing a collab and giving NMH3 and Deadly Prem 2 info.

4. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

So it turns out the new Xbox (the Nextbox, as I insist on calling all new Xbox consoles until they've been around for a bit) is called the "Xbox Series X" (link here because links are pretty much invisible on this forum). Which might be... just about the clunkiest name for a video game console since the New Nintendo 3DS. Also, I fear it might have a bit of WiiU syndrome with that name being so similar to the Xbox ONE X. But hey, it's backwards compatible with XBONE, 360, and OG Xbox games, which is kinda insane. Between this and the tiny amount we know about the PS5, I have a feeling this next generation will be the backwards compatibility generation, as a correction of the current gen's launch with zero backwards compatibility and the pushback that received. (Oh, also I guess it is capable of 8K, which only makes sense, seeing as most households haven't even upgraded from 1080p to 4k, so, you know... LOTS of use from that feature).

But the news from the game awards more interesting to me personally is that we finally have a release window for Ghost of Tsushima (link here, summer 2020).

5. DustyStarr

I had the same thought with XBOX Series X's name.

Also is it 100% BC?

6. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I think Xbox and PlayStation both have to do something to combat the Switch's flexibility. Being able to use it on the go OR as a home console is a huge perk in a lot of books (not for everyone, but a lot of people. Even people who use it almost always as a handheld, or almost always as a home console, seem to still express a liking for the fact that they can use it the other way if they want to. I'm the same. I always use mine docked, but I like that I could pick it up and take it to the doc's office to play while waiting for my appointment, if I want to...even though I never have. I find having the option to do so...reassuring, I guess.)

Backwards compatibility is a good card to play, imo. If Switch had been BC, even with just the 3DS, it would have been an even bigger hit than it was.

I don't think anything like that has been confirmed, yet, though it does sound pretty likely since they're promising four generations of BC and even compatibility with some past accessories. But Sony was initially giving the impression that the PS5 was completely backwards-compatible, and now they're saying...well, maybe not completely. They're trying to get it there, but haven't, yet. So even if they gave confirmation of 100% BC on the Xbox X series, I'd consider it too soon to trust that, until they spoke about it at length. It does sound good so far, though, like that's how it is.

I'm grateful to not be interested in Xbox...two new consoles in one year is too pricey for me. Though...I doubt I will get EITHER of them in their launch year. I'll get the PS5 in 2021 or 2022, more likely. Any of you guys planning to pick one or both up on launch?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  7. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

On launch? Definitely no. My next new console will most likely be a Switch, in any case.

Pretty sure I'll end up with a PS5 eventually, but not until a must-have exclusive comes out for it. Which, for me these days, basically means the first PS5 exclusive Falcom game, which is at minimum another 3 years down the line.

8. DustyStarr

The only reason I am even thinking about the Xbox SeX is just striking while the iron is hot on trading my S towards it if they have any good trade-in promotions, but otherwise, I have no interest in next-gen systems at this time. Honestly, I would be more interested though if it had full OG and 360 BC because I'd love to easily be able to record and stream games from those systems and just play them a bit easier. I hope SharePlay exists next generation because that has proved to be extremely fun and one of my favorite PS4 features. Being able to share play old games would be dope.

9. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

IDK if everyone heard about the Xenosaga News... but here is my hot take about it... :(:mad:

10. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

Was sad to see this too, but I totally understand and support Bamco on this one. In business, and especially corporate business, shareholders don't just need to be pleased, they straight up get to vote on things the company does. This probably failed their profit analysis for multiple reasons (.Hack GU Recode being one of them). They are a large company, so it makes sense they want to devote their resources to things making them more money than those making less. That, and I don't know if you remember, but Xenosaga II was not viewed favorably at all (by far the worst of the trilogy) and III was so scarcely available nobody played it. This is a series with some diehard fans, but not enough to justify this in their minds. Also I don't think Xenoblade alone is going to sell three fairly outdated JRPGs, I just honestly don't think fans are being honest enough with themselves about that aspect. This would have been great, but I just understand where Bandai Namco is coming from on this one, so I don't personally hold it against them.

11. AnimeGamer183

Thats not the whole picture though, there is also the fact Bandai Namco is just sitting on the license and doing absolutely nothing with it. And you say they are outdated, and fans arent being honest enough with themselves, but how many cameos in other games have Xenosaga characters been in? Ill just let you have a look at this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KOS-MOS#Other_appearances

Not to mention the other Xenosaga games we didnt even get here, its easy to say, its just 3 games but there was actually Xenosaga Freaks, Xenosaga I II DS, Piped Piper. Oh yeah and an Anime. Bamco absolutely does not get a break here, Xenosaga was big in japan and abroad. It lost traction after the second game, but it still sold millions, people know and love KOS-MOS, especially after Xenoblade 2, now is the time for these remasters. I could go on and on and on.

12. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

People are really mad at a lance and axe wielding character in Smash.

13. AnimeGamer183

Yeah... I am pretty glad I have no interest in that game and dont understand why characters being in it is such a big deal. Feels like there are a lot of fan bases that are grasping at straws about it and I just dont understand it at all.

14. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I've mostly seen people being mad because the new character is another character from a series that is already amply represented. Though I don't play either series, so I don't know anything about any of the specifics people are talking about.

What I want is a REAL Nintendo Direct. Not a Pokemon Direct or a Smash Direct.

15. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

Basically, people like complaining about the overabundance of sword wielding characters in Smash.

So now there's a character that wields a lance and an axe, among other things, which are weapons that aren't exactly in that game.

But no, that doesn't matter; that's character's from the wrong series.

Don't get me wrong; I feel there are enough FE characters, and introducing another one to end off the first wave of DLC makes it a pretty weak way to go. But it amazes me nobody brings up what was done with the shit hand that was dealt to Sakurai and company because remember: Nintendo selected the DLC characters in advance.

16. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

17. AnimeGamer183

The FF7 Seas are parting... So did CD Projekt Red delay for FF7? I am suspicious about their claim that the game is done and they just want to polish it, isnt the industry standard to release unfinished then patch later? Is that what they were planning to do before the FF7 delay and since its happened just delay it and do the patching internally instead? Seems reasonable to me.

18. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I really can't believe that they'd delay their game five months just to avoid the release of the remake. I never really understand that line of thought anyway. I buy more than one game per month. Even if I wanted both games and they were coming out in the same month, I'd still buy them. I just don't really get the idea that these games, or most other games, are competing just because they release at a similar time period. The only time that'd be true for me is if the game was going to take me hundreds of hours and demand all my game time for weeks, and then I'd simply wait until the next month to buy the other game. It's not like a game's success depends solely on day-one sales.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020 at 11:28 PM
  19. AnimeGamer183

There are reasons for them to delay it any where from 1-5 months, im sure. I mean delaying it mere DAYS after the FFVII announcement which was only 6 days earlier cant be coincidence. I am sure plenty of people predicted this delay because of that too. I think both ways of looking at it are solid, which makes me really wonder why it happened.

20. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

That's not how delays work.
    You don't delay a game just because something else is releasing nearby.
    Especially not for half a year.
    Though I imagine the game is a big ol' box of weird interactions as all games are tied together with string anyway and they want to be pretty ambitious in scope, and that's just adding more variables to go wrong.