General Gaming News Topic

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by Ammy175, Oct 23, 2015.

1. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

It never really crossed my mind that they wouldn't - I just figured they would function as pro controllers without analog sticks and missing a few buttons. But now you have me wondering...

2. Gintoki

Gintoki Active Member

First off, I didn't expect to see a VR game while browsing the Switch shop. Secondly, I even less expected it to be a VR game for Spice and Wolf....Is this real life?

3. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Was a Kickstarter (that I backed). Successful enough that they already have a sequel in the works! ...would be nice to get an S3 of the anime, though.

4. Gintoki

Gintoki Active Member

You know it's good when they make what Lawrence does for a living fascinating, lol.

5. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

NES controllers can be used for other games, so I am sure these ones can too.

6. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

My spicy take right now is am more excited for the Xenoblade 1 Remaster than the FFVII Remake.

7. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Comparison video of Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition:

8. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem that hot to me.
    But I also have zero attachment to FFVII (or really much of Final Fantasy at all).

9. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I'm interested in both :) Though I love Xenoblade and am not invested in Final Fantasy, so if I could only choose one, it'd be Xenoblade without a second needed to think about it. Even though I've played it multiple times, both the 3DS version and the Wii version.

10. DustyStarr

I'm excited for both too. I love Xenoblade a lot, it's one of my all time favorite games, but so is Final Fantasy VII. Outside of Pokemon it was more or less the game that got me into RPGs.

Kikki likes this.
  11. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

12. DustyStarr

Generation 8 is like the most incomplete generation IMO. It feels like when Sega had those half generations.

13. KlausRealta

KlausRealta Well-Known Member

It's weird since the generation would've been for 8 years by the time the PS5 releases, but I feel that way too. Maybe it's just because I haven't played a lot of current games despite owning them, but it's as if we just got all of the hit games for the system in only the past two years or so.

14. Ringwraith

It will have been 7 years since the last generational console release.
    Seems pretty standard.

15. DustyStarr

It is not length of time if anything we have had a slightly long console generation, but I compare the number of standout games to Gens 7 and 6 and8 just feels like... incomplete. The first couple years of this generation were cross-gen releases, a large chunk of the generation were ported and remasters, some from games that were not even that old, and with the death of so-called AA games and AAA incomplete, predatorily monetized, or otherwise fewer and further between. Like Klaus says, it feels like a lot of the heavy hitters really only came late in the generation, and now it's time for the next one.

16. AnimeGamer183

i have heard rumors sony is super anxious and as uncertain as they have ever been about the PS5, thus execs resigning and a recent shift in who is running the show at playstations various regional branches and balances of power shifting. Some say it may still be a bit too early for PS5, maybe by this time next year it will make more sense, maybe they screwed up this gen in terms of future proofing and just need to move on. I think it really comes down to PC gaming if you ask me, PC gaming is on the verge of totally eclipsing the current gen consoles so consoles are racing to catch up, also implementing new tech like ray tracing and ssd console gaming are huge QOL improvements for consoles. Maybe they released the current gen hardware (as successful as it was) a bit too early, but it really seems like gaming tech is advancing at such a rapid rate that consoles just cant keep up with new consoles only coming every 5+ years. Its gonna be interesting how consoles adapt moving forward.

17. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think AnimeGamer and Dusty both hit it on the head. It's PC gaming getting more popular, combined with the current mindset of AAA publishers in releasing these massive, extravagantly expensive games (usually with large amounts of paid DLC and microtransactions), resulting in publishers putting their eggs in multiple baskets for each release. The concept of the console exclusive, especially among western developers, is slowly fading away, creating an illusion of lack of variety and standouts on top of the already existing lack of variety and standouts caused by the fact that the AAA industry (which gets by far the most marketing and attention) has been pivoting toward more easily monetized models this entire console generation.

(Also the old man in me kinda wants to attribute some of it to the speed at which pop culture has been cycling over the past decade due to the rise of social media, not giving any but a bare handful of this gen's standout titles a chance to properly percolate in the collective gamer conscious and start the road to becoming considered classics.)

18. AnimeGamer183

Oh yeah and we cant forget to mention Nintendo is laughing all the way to bank in the wake of all this lol

AttentionDeficitGuy likes this.
  19. Ringwraith

It's almost like the increasing cost of development when they want to leverage every bit of power of increasingly beefy hardware means development times get way longer (and riskier).
    That mid-budget range funded by the big publishers being pretty much dead really hasn't helped either.

20. DustyStarr

Nobody asked for hyperrealistic graphics or realistically animated horse dicks (RDR2) or whatever. Nobody asked for most AAA releases to be live services or have unnecessary multiplayer modes. And no one asked for Hollywood celebrities and other big-name voice talent. The increased costs of development are the publisher's own fault.

Not to mention the problems with a lack of variety or games without predatory monetization is solely the fault of greedy corporations. There being fewer games because games take longer to make is one thing, but it is hard to feel good about the generation when most of the games we do have are both indistinguishable from each other and geared to fleece money out of children.