General Gaming News Topic

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by Ammy175, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

I think they didn't do well, due to the multiple parts and it caused some volumes to be more rare/have less prints than others. Niche games wrere VERY niche back then, barely on online presense, so it was very tough to get them all, in general.

Funimation has also re-licensed the anime, having them up for streaming and to buy, making it easy to get the prequel portion of the story. GU is still very separate, the rest is additional background, but on it's own still works.

2. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

Yeah, but I think they failed for a reason (not one I completely agree with). I knew many people who bought Infection, hated it. Some liked it, moved onto Mutation, got burned out quickly. What I was getting at is .Hack isn't a common name like it was in the early 2000's, especially to the younger audiences. Heck even the movie didn't get translated over here.

3. Akeashar

Akeashar Active Member

On the other hand, I knew people addicted to /SIGN, and I loved the original game series. However, GU never got a release internationally, which wouldn't have helped. That and having the MC being a PKer turned off the MMO playerbase that would have been into it, since who wants to play an asshat? The original quartet also had the whole having the anime bundled with the games that you were meant to watch either before or after playing the game. (Never quite knew for sure which)

So I'm guessing you won't be able to have the old save game bonus in the GU Remasters that came with having a complete save of the original quartet? :p

4. SilentThisSide199x

SilentThisSide199x Well-Known Member

Well, he only ganks other PKers, that's his entire thing, "PKKer" in the opening scene at least

there's some lore before Roots that's a bit different but it's just extra tidbits that don't affect the games' or Roots' story at all

5. KlausRealta

KlausRealta Well-Known Member

6. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Well-Known Member

Yeah they don't charge you til it ships. I think there are some authorizations on the card here and there though.

7. banballow

banballow Well-Known Member

I would say the fact that they're putting it out on PC, in addition to the PS4, is a pretty good indicator that it will come over.

8. commodorewheeler

Yeah, plus it's already been trademarked in EU is another reason for hope.

9. Ryos

Ryos Active Member

For those who didn't play Moe Chronicle, it's actually a surprisingly fun game. I'm sure people will be turned off by the fanservice elements or Compile Heart (or both) but it's actually a HILARIOUS game with surprisingly good writing. The gameplay itself is pretty easy DRPG fare but I'd absolutely recommend playing it for the writing alone. I'm not sure how the touchscreen elements will transition to a mouse but I am also hoping this could lead to a Moero Crystal localization (which I could see happening if the PC port of Moe Chronicle does well enough). Of the many Vita titles that have since made the transition elsewhere, this is NOT one of the games I thought would.

Yeah, the biggest rub against G.U. was the people who played some of the previous series (and hated it) and felt G.U. would be more of the same. There was a lot of grinding even by RPG standards to unlock areas in the original .hack series and while I didn't have a huge problem with that when it's meant to be like an MMO, it did get absurdly grindy as the series went on. G.U. toned back a lot of what people hated about the original series and added some very nice additions. I'm not sure I'm particularly interested in the remake myself but I guess it depends how much (or little) is changed.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  10. saldite

saldite Most Incrediblest

11. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

I'm content to get the standard edition of Samus Returns I guess. Probably would have gotten the limited edition but it already sold out.

12. KlausRealta

KlausRealta Well-Known Member

It is still available from Gamestop (but with tax and shipping for me, it cost ~$60), and might be available on Amazon sometime.

13. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

Not bothering with that. Will cost $11 more from Amazon and more from Gamestop.

14. commodorewheeler

The .hack PS4 remaster was announced for localization. I played the very first game in the series (Outbreak? Infection? Can't remember) and thought it was incredibly repetitive, but I'm ready to give the series another chance. So I'm happy to see this news.

15. Leon Tekashi

Leon Tekashi Active Member

I just hope my laptop can handle it when it's released on steam. If not then I'm going to have to get it from Play-Asia. What I hope IFI does with this series is make physical copies and sell them on Play-Asia with English and Chinese Subs while also porting it to PC. That way, those that doesn't have a good enough computer can still play these games.

16. Cryrobinson

Agreed. I personally loved the original tetralogy. I found them to be very immersive, and I enjoyed the story a lot. G.U. I didn't enjoy as much, but I did still love those games.

17. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

The original quadrilogy was indeed a very repetitive dungeon crawler. Story was... ok too. GU improved on absolutely everything. Better gameplay, better characters, better story... I just hope with get a Japanese option. I wanted to kick Gaspard in the face (please stop getting grown men to voice little boys, it's weird).

18. Leon Tekashi

Leon Tekashi Active Member

Let's assume that these .hack games do sell well all over the place. What are the odds of them working on remastering the original quadrilogy?

Cryrobinson likes this.
  19. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Hard to say, but it does kind of suck that GU is first, because they would really be a step down.... unless they reworked it a lot, since GU is getting some changes. Won't be easy to get Liminality with it, but those were sure great tie-in bonuses.

20. Cryrobinson

Liminality, I think, only furthered the immersion, for me anyways!