Gaijinworks

Discussion in 'I H8 XSEED' started by BenoitRen, Feb 26, 2014.

1. BenoitRen

BenoitRen Member

Strictly speaking, that's true, but the way Gaijinworks words it is as if there are several of them instead of PEGI plus a different one for a sole country. They're grasping for every possible excuse as to why they don't have their game out on the EU PSN (yet?), and it's ridiculous.
    I've been told German gamers usually scoff at any game that isn't available to play in their language, so I can't imagine it'd be a huge loss.

2. Legion1X

Legion1X Member

Add Australia and New Zealand to that list too, while obviously not in Europe, we are included in the European side of Sony, and sadly do not recognise PEGI either

btw, while on the topic of Gaijinworks, signups are open now for expressions of interest in a physical edition (with digital download code also) of Summon Night 5, I think it has another 3 weeks left to get the numbers for it to go ahead

3. BenoitRen

BenoitRen Member

I know Australia has its own messy ratings board, which is why niche publishers generally don't bother with them. What ratings board does New Zealand uses?

As for the Summon Night 5 poll, I did my part. Just because I don't like how Gaijinworks does business doesn't mean I don't like what it's trying to do. :)

4. novurdim

novurdim New Member

Russia too has its own half-wit rating board (starting from literally a year ago or so). Which is an absurd and at times almost tragic thing.

5. Akeashar

Akeashar Active Member

Amusingly enough, I tend to see NISA titles on the shelves of ebGames in Oz before I get notification of them shipping my game from their warehouses in the US. The best example of the insanity of the Australia rating board is the ratings for the Atelier games. That most of the recent ones have been rated 18+ is... I have no words!

6. BenoitRen

BenoitRen Member

(Disclaimer: I bought two copies.)

Gaijinworks: Why isn't everyone buying our Summon Night V physical release? It's such a great value with the added digital code for PS Vita owners!

European fan: It's of no value to European customers with a European PSN account. They can't even buy the game digitally or swap codes.

Gaijinworks: Don't worry, we'll release Summon Night V on the European PSN too!

European fan: Given that Class of Heroes 2 still hasn't been released on the European PSN, that seems unlikely.

Gaijinworks: ...

(Half a year later...)

Gaijinworks: It's happening! We're finally going to ship out the physical edition of Summon Night V after having you beta tes- I mean, after having ensured that the physical release will be the definitive version!

(And still nothing on European PSN...)

7. Ryos

Ryos Active Member

I agree with your other comments too but I especially found this baffling. I did think it was interesting timing that this release status popped up right after many customers started hypothesizing that Gaijinworks ran off with the preorder money and was going to announce their bankruptcy or something. :p Though to be fair, at least they are fixing their bugs (that never should have happened...). Plenty of companies still haven't even with patching now being an option on modern consoles.

8. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

I still have no idea how they stay afloat, releasing ONE whole game a year (sometimes two).

9. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

Vic sells some of his organs on the side.

10. tilinelson2

tilinelson2 Active Member

Not to mention they are releasing mostly PSP games from series that are not even popular in the west. They must sell 10k copies of each game.

11. BenoitRen

BenoitRen Member

12. Ryos

Ryos Active Member

Vic's brand of localizations is better termed rewrites. :\

13. tilinelson2

Whatever, at least Summon Night 5 was good. It would be better if they released more games instead of betting only on expensive CEs.

That is the same mistake as those companies (like Square Enix) that believe in giving AAA budget for 15 games/year thinking each one will sell 10 Million copies. Even for most die-hard collectors, there is a limit of how many CEs they can buy, and lately there are much more companies investing on CEs.

14. BenoitRen

BenoitRen Member

Such butchering warrants more than a "whatever".

There are so many games to play as it is that if I had to choose between a game being localised by Gaijinworks or not at all, that I'd choose the latter.

15. tilinelson2

For you? For me it deserves only a whatever.

Since Summon Night 5 was much better than most of the games I played in 2016, I don't see what I could benefit from making a fuzz over a few selected lines that have no influence in understanding the plot.

16. BenoitRen

BenoitRen Member

I doubt that the rewrite was restricted to a few selected lines. Also, it may not have had an influence in understanding the plot, but it does affect characterisation.

We already got enough bad translations in the past. We don't need more of those by going "whatever" and letting them get away with it.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  17. tilinelson2

If you can understand most of what is going on, it is a lot better than not understanding anything. Most of the time, even Engrish is better than everything in a Language I don't understand a word. What is the use of people talking about how wonderful a game like Legend of Heroes: The prophecy of the White Witch if I will never be able to understand a word of it in Japanese? I'd rather have the bad Engrish translation and get most of the plot, and some hints of the charm. What the game doesn't provide, imagination and instinct can fill the gaps. We were able to love old RPGs despite the lack of development and characterization. And, in the end, it is more a matter of taste. There are translations that change the personality of some characterization and made them more intetesting that they were in the original.

Every time people decide to fight against some aspect of localization that they didn't like, the result is having less games localized.