Freedom Planet for Switch announced!

Discussion in 'Freedom Planet' started by Wyrdwad, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

And it will be playable at E3!

I figured I'd fanboy a little and post the first topic here, as I absolutely *adore* this game. I played the PC version back when it first released in 2014, and it was my pick for Game of the Year 2014, as well as my Soundtrack of the Year -- it's an outstanding experience from beginning to end, and joins the ranks of titles like La-Mulana, Owlboy, Shovel Knight, and UnEpic as one of my favorite modern indie games.

And I'm going to be one of the presenters showing it at E3, so I'm pretty excited to geek out about it with people! If anyone here will be there, be sure to swing by the XSEED booth and seek me out, and I will gladly extol its virtues to you at length. ;)

In the meantime, check out the original Kickstarter PC trailer for the game (we have our own Switch trailer that we're working on now, which will be debuted at or around the start of E3!) for a good indication of what you're in for with this one:

And while you're at it, here are a few of my favorite music tracks:

Super-exciting! Can't wait to hype this game through the roof next week. ;)

-Tom

Battlechili likes this.
  2. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

Very interesting choice for you guys to take on - is this the first Western Indie game XSEED's published?

In any case, this has been on and off my radar for a little bit, but I'm just now noticing how super-positive this game is reviewed. Won't be picking up the Switch port (for the simple reason that I don't have a Switch) but I should probably look into getting it for PC.

3. Wyrdwad

Technically, this would not be the first Western indie game XSEED has published, assuming you count Shantae: Half-Genie Hero as an indie game. There's also Exile's End, which was developed largely by Westerners living in Tokyo, so it's KIND of a Western indie game, but also kind of Japanese. ;) But yeah, this was a real surprise acquisition for us. We've been keeping an eye out for good indie game devs to help out, and I suggested Freedom Planet's dev GalaxyTrail a while ago, being the huge fan of the game that I am. Never expected us to actually end up working with them, but I'm really thrilled that we are!

Fun fact, too: our Steam/GOG programmer, Sara, assisted with the programming for Freedom Planet as well, as a freelancer. So this game has kind of come full circle, in a weird way. ;)

EDIT: Also worth noting, Sean Chiplock (Rean!) is in the voice cast for this game, as the brooding antagonist Spade. I think that's where we first heard his voice, in fact, so Freedom Planet may be partially responsible for us casting him as Rean!

-Tom

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    AttentionDeficitGuy likes this.
  4. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

Okay, now I really need to play it. Chiplock might be my favorite actor in the industry right now.

5. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

Well, I will be buying this game a second time, I can't wait to see how it looks on the Switch screen!

Battlechili likes this.
  6. Sara

Sara New Member

Hey! I'm not just a Steam/GOG programmer! The games go on Humble Bundle too! :p
    Teasing aside, Freedom Planet is an awesome game and it was a pleasure to get to work on it back in the day.
    I highly recommend it to anyone who likes great music and retro sidescrolling action!

Battlechili likes this.
  7. Wyrdwad

Oh, man. Apologies to Humble Bundle for leaving them out!

But yes, please welcome our programmer extraordinaire, here -- our PC offerings would be a pale shadow of what they are now were it not for her efforts. And it's just kind of a cool coincidence that we're now working on another project she was previously part of, independent of XSEED!

Always a pleasure to work with you, Sara -- even indirectly. ;)

-Tom

8. Battlechili

Battlechili Member

Its super cool that you guys are giving this a Switch release! Freedom Planet is my favorite indie game and quite frankly reminded me how much I liked video games. I was kind of in a gaming slump in 2014 and this game was a real treat. I couldn't stop playing it. Wound up putting 50 hours into the game once everything was said and done. The music was phenomenal, the gameplay was fast paced and challenging, the pixelart was gorgeous, and the story got a little intense at parts (you know the part I'm talking about). Brevon made for a really cool villain and those scenes showed he meant business. Best music tracks imo:
    I can't wait for the sequel to come out, although the wait is painful.

I don't suppose you guys will try and get it a physical release will you? I love my Switch and I wouldn't mind buying this again, but a physical release would make such a thing that much more attractive since I already own it digitally on PC, and I'm sure a lot of fans already do as well. If nothing else, would it not be possible to maybe work with Limited Run Games?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  9. Wyrdwad

At the moment, we've only got a digital release planned, I'm afraid...

-Tom

10. Battlechili

Battlechili Member

:(
    Well, I hope things change. I'll keep an eye on this regardless since I love the game, but for now I'm gonna be patient and wait and see.

11. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

If there is one system I do not mind digital games on it is the Switch, just because as a portable it is really convenient to be able to have it anywhere I go, though for a game like this that I am passionate about a physical edition would be nice. Honestly I have mostly moved away from limited editions but this would probably be one I would get (so sad the Indie Box one sold out ;~; ).

Is the sequel confirmed to be coming to the Switch yet too?

12. Wyrdwad

No news on the sequel, unfortunately! But I'm awaiting that one with bated breath myself. That reveal trailer on Christmas Day had me SO HYPED, and that last gameplay video they released looked incredible as well.

-Tom