Four Corpse Party Titles Releasing on PC including Sachiko's Hysteric Birthday!

Discussion in 'Corpse Party Series' started by KlausRealta, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Cqef

Cqef Member

I remember that there was a carry-over save feature between BR and BoS that allowed you to access BoS's last chapter without having to painstakingly go through every single ending from previous chapters. With the lack of BR on PC (...yet???), how will this work?

2. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

Don't worry, we thought of that!

Save data from the Windows PC version of Corpse Party can be imported into Book of Shadows in lieu of the PSP version. Exact same unlock condition, accessed exactly the same way, but using what we've already got available. Clean, simple, and elegant! ;)

(One note, though: on Steam, at least, you may need to briefly boot up Corpse Party 1 and then close it again before Book of Shadows will recognize its save data -- it seems if you haven't played Corpse Party for a while, the game needs a bit of a refresher for whatever reason before Book of Shadows can "see" it. Evidently this is something relating to Steam updates or some such thing? I dunno. Either way, it's something Sara's looking into, but this little quirk is still present in the current build for the time being.)

-Tom

Cold_Steel_IV likes this.
  3. Gintoki

Gintoki Active Member

Ah, don't remind me about Cemetary0, lol.

4. Cold_Steel_IV

Cold_Steel_IV Member

Thank you very much Tom! And sorry for the late (and lengthy) reply!

Thank you for the answer here, and sorry for asking again, but I just want to be sure, after these release the whole series be available on PC? Should any of those new Corpse Party 2 Chapters release, will those also be on PC? Or if you can't answer that/don't want to make any promises, is there simply a chance we could see a PC release?

I'd very much appreciate it if you could! If it isn't too much trouble, that is, I'd like to know what the differences are between these versions.

I certainly will! ;)

Thank you again for the rundown. It was very helpful! I think this is a series I will definitely keep in the back of my mind for now, but I'll definitely look more into getting into the series sometime in the future (Too many games coming out so soon!).

Thank you for the details here! I forgot to ask about a couple other things, so if you don't mind, I'd like to ask them real quick as well. Is there any nudity? And is there any strong language, and if so how much? Speaking of language, I remember hearing that the first game had Japanese audio and that dubbing the game in English would have been too expensive, if I may ask, do all the games feature voice acting, how much if so, and are they all Japanese audio only or do any of them also feature an English dub?

You did answer them all very nicely, thanks again! And congratz to Sara for her work!

Sorry again for bombarding you with all these questions. I also have two more I wanted to ask, though they are a bit off-topic and not related to Corpse Party. Is there a particular thread on the Forums I should ask them in, or a place you'd prefer them to be asked, or can I just ask them here?

5. Wyrdwad

Hey, I ain't goin' anywhere. ;)

Yes, the entire series will be available on PC after these releases, with the only exceptions being the original PC-9801 RPG Maker version of the game (which is no longer canonical anyway) and some of the added content in the PSP and 3DS versions of Corpse Party 1 that isn't found in the PC version (which I'll go into more detail on below).

Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient is EXCLUSIVELY a PC game, so no worries there -- the question isn't whether or not you could see a PC release, but whether it's even possible to see a release on anything *but* PC. The game is coded in an unusual programming language called HSP (short for "Hot Soup Protocol"), which is notoriously hard to port, so for the foreseeable future at least, it will remain a PC-exclusive title.

That goes for all future chapters, too -- while it's possible Team GrisGris could try to focus more on console or handheld development in the future, the fact that they've already started releasing the game on PC means that they WILL finish releasing the game on PC eventually. They would never leave their fans hanging like that (no pun intended). ;)

The original Corpse Party went through a similar process -- although we released it all as one game on PC, it was actually released episodically over the course of several years in Japan, and the PSP version of it came out before the final chapter of the PC version was made available. So for a little while, if you wanted to complete the story of Corpse Party 1, your only recourse was to play it on PSP or... wait for the PC version to catch up.

The PC version *did* catch up, though, and made up for the wait by adding a little bit of content to its final chapter that was not present in the PSP version.

All right! Well, the most notable difference is between the PC version and the PSP/3DS versions, so we'll start there.

I mentioned the art and voice-acting, I believe, and that is indeed COMPLETELY different after the PC version -- all character art stills were redrawn by a different artist for the PSP/3DS versions of the game, and all voice-acting was re-recorded with a cast of professional voiceover artists (save for one side character, who's actually the same in all versions). Additionally, MORE of the game was voiced in the PSP/3DS versions -- I mentioned that the PC version of Corpse Party 1 was released episodically in Japan, and as a result, the first 2 or 3 chapters of it have far less voice-acting than the rest of the game. The PSP/3DS versions are FULLY voiced, whereas only the last few chapters of the PC version are (more or less) fully voiced; the rest just have a few voiced snippets here and there.

The PSP/3DS versions also introduced dozens upon dozens of full-screen art stills for notable moments in the game (and the 3DS version even subtly animated a few of them, also adding stereoscopic 3D support in spots), whereas those moments are depicted 100% with sprites and tiles alone in the PC version.

Basically, the PC version is all done in-engine, whereas the PSP/3DS versions cheat a little by artistically rendering key scenes. ;)

Probably the most notable change among the three versions, however, is added content. The main story is baaaaaasically the same among all three -- I noted that the PC version added a little bit to the final chapter that isn't present in the PSP version, but that little bit is genuinely a LITTLE BIT, amounting to one new scene that's less than 5 minutes long and (I believe) two new Wrong Ends (or is it only one?). Since the 3DS version was released much later, these scenes are present in that version (or the added scene is, anyway; I'm not sure about the Wrong End(s)), so it's only the PSP edition that's missing them.

The place where content differs the most, though, is in the "Extra Chapters." These are unlockable mini-chapters ranging from 1-30 minutes in length, though most fall well under the 5-minute mark and consist almost entirely of dialogue. The PC version has 4 Extra Chapters, the PSP version has 10, and the 3DS version has 14... and they don't QUITE all overlap as you'd expect.

3 of the PC's 4 Extra Chapters are present in all three versions of the game, but the fourth PC Extra Chapter, titled "Tooth," is exclusive to the PC version -- even the 3DS version doesn't have it. Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, however, does... as a REGULAR chapter. But the events play out quite a bit differently, due to the differing gameplay styles between Corpse Party 1 and Corpse Party: Book of Shadows -- so it's very much worth playing both versions of Tooth, as each has a little something to offer that the other does not.

On top of the other 3 PC Extra Chapters, then, there are 7 more added to the PSP version (all of which fall into the "less than 5 minutes long" category, however).

And on top of THAT, there are 4 more added to the 3DS version, all of which fall into the half-hour-long category -- they're pretty significant, and add a lot of content to the game! Though you can definitely tell that they're new, since all 4 of the 3DS-exclusive Extra Chapters are UNVOICED. I guess they couldn't get the voice-actors back into the studio to record them, so they just chose to leave those chapters completely unvoiced instead -- which is admittedly a bit jarring, after playing through 5 full-length chapters and 10 additional Extra Chapters that are all fully voiced!

...Aaaand, on top of all of this, there are some other minor aesthetic differences among the versions. The PSP version doubled the resolution of the background tiles, but didn't touch the character sprites -- so the character sprites remain lo-res, while the backgrounds are all hi-res. The 3DS version fixed this by doubling the resolution of the character sprites as well, so the characters look a bit more fitting for the world around them.

Then, there's the music. While 90% of it is the same among all three versions, EACH of the three have a few exclusive tracks that you won't find in either of the other two. Which version's 10% unique tracks you like best will be entirely up to you -- I prefer the PSP version's take on the chapter 1 BGM over the PC or 3DS versions', but the PC version has some absolutely STUNNING original tracks late in the game that are leaps and bounds better than their equivalents in the PSP or 3DS version. And the 3DS version's unique Extra Chapter music is outstanding, as is its take on the chapter 1 BGM (I may like the PSP version better, but that doesn't mean I DISlike the 3DS version!).

So, yeah. It's pretty complicated! Tl;dr version:

- PC version has indie voice-acting and art that differs from the voice-acting and art featured in the PSP and 3DS versions, not quite full voice-acting for its early chapters, and is lacking full-screen art stills altogether, but has one exclusive Extra Chapter and some amazing music, and probably best represents the creators' original vision for the story -- and definitely feels the most "indie."

- PSP version has professional-grade voice-acting and art, full voice-acting all around, some great BGM arrangements (but some others that are lacking compared to their PC counterparts), and 7 additional (but very short) Extra Chapters.

- 3DS version has everything from the PSP version, but with 4 more additional (yet unvoiced) Extra Chapters of considerable length + some upgraded visuals.

Yes, though it's undetailed -- no "naughty bits" are shown, as it were.

I guess I might as well go into some detail:

- Corpse Party features a scene later on in which one girl is bathing with her younger brother, and teasing him a bit. In the PC version, we see fully nude sprites for both characters, but there's no visible detailing. In the PSP/3DS versions, we see a full-screen art still depicting them both nude, but again, their "naughty bits" are concealed behind arms or conveniently placed steam.

- Corpse Party: Book of Shadows is the most front-loaded with nudity, as there's a bath scene featuring two of the series' female protagonists within the first 10 minutes of gameplay -- and it contains not one but TWO full-screen art stills! Again, though, there's no visible detailing due to conveniently placed steam.

- Corpse Party: Sweet Sachiko's Hysteric Birthday Bash actually contains no NUDITY nudity, though you do get to see basically every one of the female characters wearing a skimpy bikini (or something similar) at some point or another during the story, as well as most of the male characters shirtless.

- Corpse Party: Blood Drive... has a LOT of nudity, actually. Multiple bath scenes shown via full-screen art stills from multiple angles, one scene showing a full-screen art still of a rich girl lying on her bed naked as her maid exfoliates her skin (plus her standard outfit is the skimpiest of any character in the series to begin with, I'd say), and a scene which I can't describe without plot spoilers, but it does involve a fully nude character depicted both via art stills and with a 3D model. In all cases, no naughty bits are shown: the art stills conveniently mask them, and the 3D model is basically a Barbie doll.

- Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient has no nudity to speak of whatsoever just yet... but Book of Shadows aside, Corpse Party games typically do not feature nudity as early as chapter 1, so I wouldn't be surprised if we get an eyeful or two in future chapters. ;)

Yes. A lot. Especially in Blood Drive, where two of the main antagonists swear like sailors.

Every game features voice-acting, and it's all Japanese-only -- no English dub for any of them.

Book of Shadows, Hysteric Birthday, and Blood Drive are FULLY voiced. Corpse Party 1 is fully voiced on PSP, almost fully voiced on 3DS (save for the last four Extra Chapters), and not QUITE fully voiced on PC (but it gets closer and closer to being a fully-voiced game as you progress through it).

Er, you're not giving me much to go on, exactly! ;) I'd say just ask your questions here. Or look around to see if any of the other forum sections sound appropriate, and ask there! You won't get in trouble for posting in the wrong place, so it really doesn't matter where you post, ultimately. Feel free to just ask away!

-Tom

6. Cold_Steel_IV

Cold_Steel_IV Member

Thank you very much for the response, Tom. And thank you as well Jackkel Dragon!

Thank you very much for going into detail here, it's helped me to make a decision. I think in the future when I get into the series, I'll try out the first Corpse Party on 3DS and, if I like it, I'll then pick up the whole series on PC (including the first Corpse Party again).

I think I only have one Corpse Party related question left: Where would you say is the best place to purchase Corpse Party for 3DS? And it's called "Corpse Party: Back to School Edition", right? (I'm assuming it's like the PS4 ports of CS I and II?)

Ah, I probably should have given more details about what I was gonna ask. Sorry about that!

For the questions: The first thing I wanted to ask has to do with some Trails-related write-ups I'm doing. I'm currently making a spoiler free write-up for newcomers to help explain the series, the games in it, a little of its history, and what play orders there are. It's sort of a guide to the whole Trails Series. I'm also working on spoiler free FAQs for each of the currently localized games in the series. I wanted to know if it was okay for me to make a thread for them on the Legend of Heroes portion of the Forums? Like one for just the guide and one for all the FAQs (or one thread for both the guide and FAQs if you want). It wouldn't contain links to any other site either. While I'm at it, if you allow me to post it, how much text can fit in a post here? The write-ups are quite long! :oops:

My second question is kind-of a two-part question: Do we know if there's any chance of a bundle for any of the Trails games, particularly the Sky Trilogy? And can you say when the Trails games will go on sale next? I thought I remembered it being said that there were temporary legal reasons that kept a bundle of the Sky Trilogy from happening but that we would eventually get one? Is that something that isn't likely to happen, or at least not anytime soon, or is it something to look forward to? As for the sale, I know the games go on sale relatively often, but a few days ago/a week ago I remember there being a Steam sale for games starring female protagonists and I remember thinking that FC and SC at least would be on sale then for sure, but they weren't. Or at least I didn't see them go on sale at the time. I watch two different streamers who have recently gotten into the Trails games, one with the Sky Trilogy and one with CS I and II, and both of them are waiting for sales before getting into the other Arc since money is tight for them, so I was wondering whether you know or are even allowed to say when the next sale might be, or even which month it could be. I know the Holidays are coming up, but since they don't go on sale for every sale, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

EDIT: Alright so since I'm already bothering you too much as it is, I figured I have nothing to lose by asking juuuust one more question lol: Since it's something that's being discussed elsewhere on the Forums, is outsourcing console ports through 3rd parties something Xseed might look into/be able to do in the future, similar to how you guys have been doing PC ports (either through 3rd parties like Durante and Hyde, or in-house like Sara's been doing with Corpse Party)? Like, for example, is porting the Sky Trilogy to PS4 something you might consider? Or is it possible it's already been looked into and deemed infeasible? I know you sometimes can't answer certain things (and that's probably the case with some of my questions), but I suppose I felt I should at least ask to see if there's anything at all that you could say that could maybe clear up anything or... I dunno. Sorry again for the most likely annoying questions.

Anyway thank you very much for any answers you can give. Your answer are not only always helpful, but also always appreciated!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  7. Wyrdwad

That's the one. It's called that because we released it in an LE with figurines and a soundtrack CD, so you'll have some nice swag to go with your game if you pick that up! ;)

As for where the best place to get it is... I'unno! It's widely available, so just take a look around and see what you can find, I guess. I'm afraid I don't know much about domestic game sales, as most of what I personally buy these days gaming-wise is either incredibly niche or comes from Japan. Heheh.

I... don't actually know what our post size limit is here off-hand, but I do believe I set it to be pretty high. I doubt it's high enough to account for an entire FAQ/walkthrough, however, so you may need to split it up into smaller posts -- or better yet, just link to it off-site! That's not against the rules unless you're a spambot, and I think I can say with certainty that you're not a spambot, so you've got nothing to worry about. ;)

Future sales and bundles and things are unfortunately not something I'm ever able to discuss due to my NDA -- and it makes sense from a business perspective, if you think about it, because if I could alert people that, hey, there's going to be a sale in X number of weeks, the only effect that would have on our bottom line would be a negative one, since people would just stop buying the game at its regular retail price and wait for the sale. All of a sudden, sales would drop off to practically nothing for X number of weeks! And that wouldn't really look too good to the top brass, as you might imagine.

So, yeah. As much as I'd love to reveal any plans we might have, that's just not something I or anyone else from XSEED would be able to tell you. Not unless we've already publicly announced it.

(Fortunately, any guilt I might feel about that is nullified by the fact that I don't even actually KNOW the answer to your question -- I'm pretty out of the loop with the business side of things, usually finding out about our sales and such myself only when they happen, rather than beforehand. So, yeah, you're kind of double out of luck asking me this. Sorry!)

Nah, it's fine! I like answering questions -- makes me feel like I'm helping! ;)

Obviously, I can't give any SPECIFIC information, but yes, on the recommendation of fans, we've looked into porting games from PC to console/handheld before, and will likely continue to explore any such options that may present themselves to us. It's a much more specialized skill set than porting the other way around, though, so options are quite a bit more limited -- and very much in demand throughout the industry, so even if we were to find the perfect candidate for such a job, it's likely we'd have to get in line... and it probably wouldn't be cheap.

Still, it's certainly something to consider!

-Tom

8. Cold_Steel_IV

Cold_Steel_IV Member

Thank you very much for your reply!

Thank you, but I think I'd rather just post the whole thing, if possible, even if it has to be in smaller posts. Since the write-ups are meant for newcomers I know that most posters here wouldn't find it useful, but I do know there are a couple users here who might and I like to think of the Xseed Forums as a good place for Trails fans to look for news about the games (I've been lurking here since 2011 in fact! And while I originally came here to keep an eye out for Sky SC news, right after beating FC, of course ;), I've stayed lurking here long after to keep a look out for whenever there's more Trails news), and as such I'd like to think people who are new to the series or looking to get into it might find the write-ups helpful. The main reason I'm making them anyway is to help spread the word about the series and help newcomers to know about the games. So my hope is it'll help newcomers who visit here, though I won't deny since there are many Kiseki veterans here that I'd hope if there's anything that isn't accurate, as far as my knowledge goes, the veterans can school me on my knowledge -- or in this case, lack thereof! ;)

But what if I'm a super human-like robot made up of sliced SPAM? ;)

Ah, I thought so, but I figured it was least worth asking.

Nah, you shouldn't feel guilty about it at all, ahaha. It makes perfect sense, so you really shouldn't feel bad about it. I wouldn't want you or anyone else to get in trouble for breaking any NDAs anyway!

I'm glad it's something that's being considered. Even if it doesn't work out, at least it wouldn't be for lack of trying or of good reason. I just hope that good options will present themselves in the future for you, regardless!

Anyway, thank you again very much for the help and the answers! I hope you have a good day/night! :D

9. Jackkel Dragon

Jackkel Dragon New Member

I feel like the existing answers probably were enough for most people, but since I remember some of these details better I thought I'd list out some of the little changes in content between BC/BR/BR 3DS.
    • Chapter 1 opening is slightly different between versions, with BC having one variation of the first segment while BR/BR 3DS has another. (BC is closer to original game's opening, BR's adds in an "accidental pervert" moment.)
    • Chapter 1 has one new Wrong End in BR 3DS, for finding all of a new set of documents.
    • Chapter 4 has a tricky to trigger bonus scene in BR/BR 3DS that does not exist in BC.
    • Chapter 5 has a new scene and related Wrong End in BC and BR 3DS, not in BR PSP.
    • Chapter 5 has some new gameplay elements (science lab and principal's office) and a related new Wrong End in BC. Also, an ending that was in BR/BR 3DS is extended.
    • Chapter 5 gives a hint for a confusing gameplay element in BC and maybe BR 3DS. (Don't remember the latter off the top of my head.)
    These changes ultimately come to a total of maybe 15-20 minutes of divergence, so it's more of a thing to keep in mind if you want to see everything the game has to offer. If you end up getting only one game, the PC or 3DS version is the way to go.

10. Fuepepe

Fuepepe Active Member

Huh. I didn't know that the 3DS version differed that much from the PSP release I completed. I may have to open up my copy and try it out as a refresher before Book of Shadows. :)

11. BachU8

BachU8 New Member

Ok, Tom's left, so who is going to talk with us now?

12. Sara

Sara New Member

If you have any questions I'll be more than happy to answer them.

13. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

If we are allowed to ask questions is everything alright over at Xseed ?

14. Sara

Sara New Member

I really meant questions about the game and such, of course. :p
    Internal affairs aren't something we can ever really say much about no matter what the time or situation.

Omage_X likes this.
  15. Omage_X

Omage_X Active Member

oh okay but thanks for being honest :)

16. Trails of Persona

Trails of Persona Active Member

I'm very interested in Corpse Party 2, but I'm concerned how it's being released episodically with no idea how many chapters there will be and when we will get the other chapters. Guess the main question is how meaty is the one chapter that will be released? I remember the first chapter of the first game on PC being pretty short, I think it took me an hour or so, with later chapters being longer.

17. Jackkel Dragon

Jackkel Dragon New Member

Chapter 1 of Dead Patient is roughly as long as a chapter of BC/BR. It has about the same complexity as Chapter 3 or 4 from those games. From my playthroughs and ones I've seen done, it takes 1-2 hours to finish at least one ending (of two).

I remember someone asking about how the price will work a while back, as well. I don't know what the plan is for Dead Patient, but when BloodCovered was releasing episodically each chapter was sold separately. (Or, to be more accurate from what I've seen of the old builds, each version had to be bought again and was slightly more expensive than the previous.) Since the game is releasing digitally now, it would not surprise me to see each new chapter update to be a DLC purchase. I feel it's unlikely it would have a "season pass" that promises access to all content, though. Unless Team GrisGris/GrindHouse pays for everything out of pocket from their other jobs, they will need some profit to put back into future development.

Now, the thing I came here to ask: I noticed that Steam now classifies BC and BoS as "adult only" games when I look at their store pages. Was this a choice by XSEED, or something mandated by Valve? I'm a bit surprised, since BC was previously fine on the storefront and BoS was originally rated M for the PSP version. (I also made a thread about it on the BC Steam forum.)

18. Sara

Sara New Member

That message simply appears on all store pages with age gates now. For example, DOOM.
    If you accept an age gate, the message appears on the following page.

19. Ryos

Ryos Active Member

I'm late to the (Corpse) party but I'm totally game. Definitely wasn't expecting Sweet Sachiko's Hysteric Birthday Bash but definitely will pick up at least the ones that I don't have already.

20. E5rael

E5rael New Member

Hi!

First of all, thank you so much for porting BoS to the PC! Even though I've watched (and rewatched) numerous playthroughs of the PSP version, I still wanted to buy the PC version to support the series. Plus, getting to see the art now in crisp full HD is a nice bonus!

That being said, I've been having some audio problems with Book of Shadows: I noticed that many of the sounds, such as some of the ominous background noises don't loop once the sounds have played once. A more noticeable omission was most of (presumably) Hina Hirose's spirit's mumblings when you first find her corpse at the main school entrance while playing as Mayu. I hear her first line of dialogue but the rest of it (which I have heard in other YouTube playthroughs) doesn't play. At least one other person on the gog.com forum has this issue. Anyone else?

Another small thing that I noticed was that the image of Naomi's house at night isn't in Full HD, but instead looks quite pixely. Probably the resolution of the PSP version, I presume. Could the problem be fixed with a simple image replacement?

Thanks again for all your work. Just wanting to help make this definitive version of BoS even more definitive by reporting any possible bugs.