Four Corpse Party Titles Releasing on PC including Sachiko's Hysteric Birthday!

Discussion in 'Corpse Party Series' started by KlausRealta, Oct 15, 2018.

1. KlausRealta

KlausRealta Well-Known Member

Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, Sweet Sachiko's Hysteric Birthday Bash, and Blood Drive are all releasing on PC via Steam in the near future along with the already announced Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient. Book of Shadows is already dated for October 29th while Sweet Sachiko's Hysteric Birthday Bash and Corpse Party 2 are slated for winter 2018.

Wow, I certainly did expect this... getting Corpse Party 2U in the west (was this what you teased at your AX panel, Tom?).

All of the information on this is here (with a trailer inside): https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/10/15/exclusive-four-corpse-party-games-are-coming-to-pc-soon

Corpse Party: Book of Shadows: https://store.steampowered.com/app/778390/Corpse_Party_Book_of_Shadows/

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  2. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Wow we finally get Sachiko's Birthday in some form! That's great! Can't wait to get a tablet so I can actually play VNs on the go!

I know it's a gag game, but curious when abouts it's supposed to take place? I assume just alternate timeline?

3. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, this is the game I mentioned in the panel as the most difficult localization I've ever done. Also only the second Corpse Party game (the other being the original) to be 100% translated and edited by me, so hopefully you'll find my efforts worthwhile. IT WAS NOT EASY. Heheh.

As for when it's set, it's set kind of... during? the events of the original game and Book of Shadows. And while it is an alternate timeline, IT IS ALSO CANON. I repeat, IT IS ACTUALLY CANONICAL. Events from it are directly referenced in Blood Drive. A few more than I thought, actually, which has led to some localization adjustments in Blood Drive PC for parity.

So, yeah. This is what I've been working on for like, the last half a year, if not longer. Like, all of this. All four of these games. I didn't translate Dead Patient, but I did edit it, and I've also done QA and localization tweaks for BoS and Blood Drive to correct typos and mistranslations, bring everything up to code with our current style guide as best as possible, and make sure every game's terminology and speech quirks and such line up with every other game's.

These are gonna be the definitive versions of all four of these games. I've been working hard to make sure that's the case. So hopefully, when you guys play these, you'll like what you see! But I'm pretty sure you will. ;)

-Tom

4. KlausRealta

KlausRealta Well-Known Member

5. Wyrdwad

I don't know if we're supposed to say just yet. It's someone we've never worked with before, though -- always expanding our Rolodex, so to speak. ;)

-Tom

Cold_Steel_IV likes this.
  6. Wyrdwad

For Book of Shadows, BTW, an absolute game-changer feature Sara implemented: FULL MOUSE SUPPORT. As in, you can play THE WHOLE DAMNED GAME with a mouse if you want.

And if you're familiar with Book of Shadows, I'm sure you know just how big that is. It seriously makes the entire game feel "complete."

-Tom

7. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Oh wow it's canon too? I feel like I remember hearing about that years ago, when we found out we couldn't get the PSP versions. I guess it's a good thing I haven't had a chance to touch Blood Drive yet, so I can actually play Sachikoxs Birthday first. Think it'll play ok on a tabletn like an iPad or something? I hear some Steam stuff works on it ok, if it involves simple buttons like a VN. I don't get too much PC free time, so thus might help me get through some Steam backlog.

8. Wyrdwad

The game runs smoothly at 1080p/60fps on my work PC. And my work PC is almost literally a toaster. So you're probably fine. ;)

-Tom

9. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

I guess Steam on tablet is more dependant on graphics that touch control buttons, then? I think that was more what I was thinking.

10. Wyrdwad

Honestly, that is a good question. I know virtually nothing about tablets, as I've barely ever used them. But you do have mouse emulation on tablets, right? If so, then you should have no issue with Book of Shadows in particular, since that game seriously was MADE for a mouse... even though it was originally released on PSP and used the analog nub in lieu of one. ;)

Hysteric Birthday being a pure visual novel means you can get away with using only a mouse on that one as well.

Blood Drive and Dead Patient, however, are a bit trickier. Both will likely have higher minimum specs, and both will more or less require a controller or keyboard to play, so I'm not sure how well you'll be able to play them on a tablet. Hopefully we'll have more info on that as those releases draw closer, as they'll almost certainly be the latter two releases, with BoS and Hysteric Birthday coming first.

-Tom

11. banballow

banballow Well-Known Member

*Throws money at screen*
    ... my guess is gonna be Ghostlight for the Blood Drive port. I know they port JP games to PC, and recently started working on Switch games as well (we all saw that ESRB Rating!!).
    Will continue to support all things Dead Body Fiesta!!

12. Fuepepe

Fuepepe Active Member

Mouse support definitely sounds huge to me for Book of Shadows. Anyone even remotely interested in a visual novel style Corpse Party is going to expect that on PC and I can't think of any recent releases that didn't have it other than 428 Shibuya Scramble which was a port of a Wii VN.

13. Wyrdwad

Well, and remember, Book of Shadows isn't just a VN -- it is, more than anything, a point-and-click adventure, what with Search Mode and the school map and all that. And now, you can ACTUALLY POINT AND CLICK. No more using the analog nub to slowly direct what is, essentially, a mouse cursor around the screen.

Mouse shortcuts abound, too. Right-click for menu, mouse wheel down to skip text, mouse wheel up for message log, press in the mouse wheel to bring up the school map, etc.

I normally HATE using the mouse in video games (I'm a console player first and foremost), but in BoS? The mouse works SO BLOODY WELL. This really is one of a very rare breed of games in which I would absolutely pick mouse gameplay over controller, even (though the game fully supports controllers too, of course!).

-Tom

14. Jackkel Dragon

Jackkel Dragon New Member

Based on the Steam listing for BoS, it appears both English and Japanese will be supported for the game. Will this also be true for 2U/BD/DP? (Also, I didn't realize that was listed for BC. I might need to look into that.)

Also, how extensive were the changes to the BD script? I remember a discussion about the lost references and such a while back, but I only recall a few specific details. And would there ever be a patch to the Vita version, or would backporting those changes be too annoying with the Sony patch system?

At any rate, I'm really glad that we're finally getting 2U. Getting all of the series on PC is an amazing bonus. I was actually thinking of replaying Blood Drive, so I'll probably hold off until the PC version comes out.

Lastly, I'm going to ask this because I know someone else will no matter what: Are there any plans to bring either version of BR to PC? I'm guessing not due to BC (and I honestly prefer BC in a lot of ways), but now that the rest of the series is coming to PC that's going to become a very common question. (And to be fair, the map sprites for the characters in BR 3DS are really good. Except for Tokiko, who is literally just a headless Ryou.)

15. Wyrdwad

2U uses the same exact engine as BoS and is being worked on in tandem with it by Sara, so you can expect all the same features in 2U as in BoS, across the board. That includes the Japanese language option (which is not togglable in-game, BTW, in case you were having trouble finding it in BloodCovered; rather, it has to be set via the Steam properties for the game prior to booting it, with a boot prompt being used when playing DRM-free versions through GOG and the like).

Blood Drive and Dead Patient are still a bit earlier on in their localization programming, but obviously we want to try to keep the feature set as consistent as possible among these four releases.

Regarding Blood Drive's script, the changes are fairly minimal, but yes, the mistranslation in chapter 8 that was discussed on this forum back when the Vita version came out HAS been addressed, as have a couple other minor mistranslations here and there (most notably in the name tags, which had quite a few errors that I missed in editing). The translations that were changed for parity with 2U, then, mostly revolve around Azusa and Sayaka -- Azusa's clumsy "Mr. Knight" nickname for Yoshiki has been changed to the more sensible "Sir Knight," for example, and Sayaka's catch phrase of めろは~ん has been adjusted across the board to variations on the word "melt" (it just makes me MEEEEEEELT) so that a particular play on words which utilizes this catch phrase in 2U is better able to land in English. ;)

(While I'm at it, it's worth noting that there have been localization changes made to Book of Shadows as well, to correct some erroneous name tags and mistranslated passages -- the BoS script has quite a few more changes than Blood Drive's, in fact, as there were numerous passages that had some pretty significant mistranslations, including one consistent mistranslation that made it sound like Sayaka was a newbie in matters of spirituality when she's actually quite proficient!)

None of these localization changes will be back-ported to Vita, though (or PSP, in BoS' case) -- it's just not viable, and in Blood Drive's case especially it would be hard to justify since most of the changes are extremely minor (even the mistranslation in chapter 8 is basically cleared up via the already correctly translated extra chapter 6).

And finally, I can't comment on anything we haven't announced, so you'll need to keep your questions specific to these four titles, I'm afraid. Even if we were planning something with BR, I couldn't say anything -- but as you noted, it would be a bit of a long shot anyway. It is good to know there's interest, however!

-Tom

16. Cold_Steel_IV

Cold_Steel_IV Member

Hello! I am new to posting here (though I have been a long-time lurker since 2011) and was hoping to ask some questions about Corpse Party after seeing this news. Though firstly I would also like to say thank you for porting the games to PC! Though this

I've never played this series and don't know much about it, but it's a series I have considered looking into and, since you're here Tom, I figured this might be the best place to ask about it, assuming it's not a bother.

Some of the questions I had were:

• Are these all the games? I play mostly for story and prefer to play all the games in the series that are canonical to the story/main games. So I was wondering if these 4 games are the only games in the series, or if they are just the only ones coming to PC and I will have to play any of the other games on a different platform (and which platforms if so?) in order to follow along with the whole series.

• How interconnected are the games and are any of them stand alone? I like games with interconnected and ongoing stories and I think I remember hearing that this is an ongoing series with more "parts" to it in the works, so I'd like to know if I should start with the first game in the franchise (I would also like to know which game that would be! xD) or if there are any other "entry points", so to speak? And just how much would you say the stories of the games are connected (without giving anything away about said stories, if possible), and are any of the entries direct sequels to any of the previous games?

• What kind of "Mature" content is in the games and how much is there for each entry? Does it vary from game to game? I have heard that one of the games is relatively tame in regards to "Mature" content and simply has some blood, but I've heard that some entries feature excessive amounts of blood and gore. Meanwhile I have also heard that the series contains large amounts of sexual content and/or nudity? I know the general premise of at least one of the games, and with a name like "Corpse Party", I certainly expect there to be blood to a notable degree, or at least some form of "horror" content, but I have heard very different things regarding the kind of content in the games and am unsure if I am getting this series mixed up with other games or if some entries simply have vastly different kinds of content in them. It's a bit confusing to me so if you could help clear it up a little for me, I'd appreciate it.
    This last one's not directly about the game, but:
    • Is Sara porting games to PC now? I remember that she did a fantastic job of working on many of your PC games and has even back-ported many great features into the PC releases from various console versions, but, to my knowledge, she wasn't able to port whole games in the past. So is she now able to port entire games to PC? If so, I am pleased to here just how great of a job she's been doing! And also, can we expect any more ports from her in the future? *coughlikemaybeCrossbellcough*
    *Ahem* Anyway... I don't really know if this series is for me or not or if I'm ready to jump into another franchise right at this moment, and as I said before and as you can probably tell from most of my questions, I don't really know anything about this series, so anything you could tell me about the games would be appreciated!

Also I'd like to say: Thank you very much for all the work you guys have been doing over the years! The first game I've played from Xseed was Trails in the Sky First Chapter on PSP back in 2011 (though it was a few months after its release) and your posts, Tom, as well as many of the others' here, proved to be very informative and helped lessen the wait for Trails in the Sky Second Chapter. Since then I've picked up a good handful of the Falcom games you guys have translated, alongside all of the Trails games (which quickly became my favorite video game franchise!). As such, I would like to say again: Thank you for all the work you and the others do at Xseed! Please keep it up!

Anyway, I apologize for all the questions and for taking up your time. As this is my first post here, I hope I managed to, well, actually post this correctly. xD

Thank you again!

17. Wyrdwad

First off, welcome to the forums! ;)

The quickest and easiest answer to the majority of your questions is, this + our already-released game simply titled "Corpse Party" represents the entire series, and it is very much an interconnected series overall. There's a bit more to it than that, but that's basically the short answer.

The long answer is... well, I might as well just go game-by-game, in chronological order. And don't worry, I'll avoid spoilers!

1. "Corpse Party" -- Simply titled "Corpse Party" in all Western releases, though the Japanese releases have a number of subtitles depending on how deep down the remake rabbit hole the games go. The very, very first game in the series was made in RPGMaker Dante98 for the NEC PC-9801 microcomputer line in 1996, and that game was legitimately JUST called Corpse Party, even in Japan. That game is NOT available in English (not officially, anyway), but it's also no longer canon -- it's been remade for Windows, then further remade for PSP, then further remade for 3DS. In Japan, the Windows remake is titled "Corpse Party: BloodCovered" (often abbreviated BC), and the PSP and 3DS remakes are titled "Corpse Party: BloodCovered: ...Repeated Fear" (often abbreviated BR), but all three of those remakes were released in English by us (the Windows version on Steam, GOG, and Humble, the PSP version digitally via PSN, and the 3DS version both physically and digitally), and all three of them are simply titled "Corpse Party" in English, to avoid the massive amounts of confusion that the Japanese subtitle bloat might otherwise cause. ;) Regardless of which of our three versions you play, you're getting the same story, though there are slight variations. It's generally accepted at this point that the 3DS version is the most complete, but you really can't go wrong with any of them, and they each have their positive and negative aspects that I'd be happy to go into in further detail if you'd like. But regardless, if you plan on getting into the series, some version of this game is pretty much where your journey should begin -- and it also happens to be arguably the best game in the series (it's still my favorite!), so you really can't go wrong with it. Just be sure to play with headphones, because the 3D binaural audio is a major selling point, especially in the PSP and 3DS versions!
    2. "Corpse Party: Book of Shadows" -- This is a prequel, sequel, and midquel to "Corpse Party" all in one. It's basically an anthology of short stories, some of which take place before the events of Corpse Party, some of which take place DURING the events of Corpse Party, some of which take place in alternate timelines (basically following one of the Wrong End paths from the first game), and one of which takes place two weeks AFTER the events of Corpse Party, presenting some of the most crucial plot details in the entire series. You absolutely SHOULD NOT play Book of Shadows without playing Corpse Party first, and you absolutely SHOULD NOT play Blood Drive without playing Book of Shadows first -- this game will spoil the hell out of Corpse Party almost immediately if you don't play the first game before it, and Blood Drive will spoil the hell out of Book of Shadows if you don't play BoS first.
    3. "Corpse Party: Sweet Sachiko's Hysteric Birthday Bash" -- Generally just called "2U" because the Japanese title of this game is basically "Corpse Party The Anthology: Sachiko's Game of Love -Hysteric Birthday 2U-." We dropped the "2U" for the English release, though, because that's just very confusing! This game is an alternate universe romantic comedy side-story anthology. That happens to be canonical. And is every bit as weird as that makes it sound. ;) The weirdness of this game cannot be overstated. It is NOT required playing -- if for some reason you have to skip one game in the series but still want to get the full story, this is the one to skip. But despite being an alternate universe tale, this IS technically canonical, and events from it ARE referenced in Blood Drive, so you should probably play it anyway. It's worth it just for the WTF factor, really! Heheheh.
    4. "Corpse Party: Blood Drive" -- The end of the "Heavenly Host Arc." Basically, the end of Corpse Party 1. Takes place 2 months after the events of Book of Shadows' final chapter, and presents a firm (if extremely convoluted) finale to the storyline thus far.
    5. "Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient" -- The beginning of a brand new storyline with a brand new cast, though it is not completely disconnected from the previous games. It actually takes place 5 years after the events of Blood Drive, and does make some reference to characters and events from the previous four titles -- though you're safe to jump in with this entry if you so desire, as all of the characters and events referenced (as of chapter 1, anyway) are basically non-spoilers. I say "as of chapter 1," however, because this game is still in development -- only chapter 1 and "extra chapter 1" exist thus far, so that's all we're going to be releasing this winter, with chapter 2 slated to be released as... DLC, maybe? whenever it's finished and released in Japan. I guess as far as how standalone this game is, think of it like the Trails of Cold Steel to Corpse Party's Trails in the Sky.

So, yeah. That's the basic rundown of the series. And although we've ordered them a bit strangely in some of our press releases and in our trailer, the plan right now is to release them all in this chronological order -- Corpse Party is already out, Book of Shadows is scheduled for release on the 29th, and then Hysteric Birthday, Blood Drive, and Dead Patient will be released in that order (theoretically) this winter.

As for mature content, every game is EXTREMELY bloody, violent, and disturbing, as you could probably guess. Some actually take this to extremes, with Book of Shadows in particular having some rather... brutal deaths compared to its predecessor (which already featured some REALLY nasty ways to go!). There is no outright sexual content in any of them, though there are acts of sexual violence referenced in passing as part of major character backstories in a couple places, so do beware if that's something that might bother you. Overall, I'd say these games are all firmly in M-rated territory, never venturing anywhere near AO -- though that isn't to say the games are completely without suggestive content in one form or another. This is a series that loves a good panty shot or bath scene with strategically placed steam, featuring ample examples of both of these things in basically every entry (well, Dead Patient is pretty tame on this front as of chapter 1, but I assume we'll be seeing it eventually!). You also get some anime tropes from time to time, including the ever-present boob grope. And the creators of Corpse Party seem to really like bodily fluids, as there are a surprisingly large number of characters peeing themselves, vomiting, etc. In a way, this all adds to the disturbing and unsettling nature of the games, as there's always a hint that they might go just a bit too far, even though they never quite do (even if this post makes it sound like they do!).

The most suggestive content definitely comes from Hysteric Birthday, as you can probably imagine from the premise. A romantic comedy spinoff of an extremely gory horror series is bound to have some "hijinks," after all, and BOY DOES IT EVER. ;) Again, though, it never crosses any lines, even though it comes DANGEROUSLY close at times. Heheh.

And yes, Sara is the one responsible for porting Book of Shadows and Hysteric Birthday from PSP to PC, adapting her "Blood Cookie" engine (as she calls it) from the first Corpse Party game to help smooth the transition. These games are her first ever ports from console/handheld to PC, and I've gotta say, she's done an absolutely stellar job. They run beautifully, even on my... shall we say, less than superb work PC. ;)

So, yeah. That was a long post! But hopefully, I answered most of your questions. I can go into more detail later, but I figure I'll let someone else have a go at explaining things too. Let's get some discussion going, shall we?

-Tom

18. Gintoki

Gintoki Active Member

Hey man, I told ya so. ;) Knight-kun approves!

19. BachU8

BachU8 New Member

Heard the news yesterday, been incredibly happy since then. Corpse Party is my favorite game of all time so this is very important to me. I've wanted to give Book of Shadows since a looong time and this will be the perfect chance. Won't bother with Blood Drive, though.

This is very interesting. I really like the original art, music, and voice acting, but it's always nice to have more options. Add to that all the content from both, the PSP and 3DS versions. Now THAT would be a definitive version, which is perfect considering Tom said we're getting the definitive version of the rest of the games. You could sell the extra content as DLC and turn the main purchase button for a "Definitive Edition". That way the DLC would be only for the people that purchased the original game, also allowing you to post screenshots of the extra content on the main page.

Anyway, I'm saying it again but I'm incredibly happy with this announcement.

20. Jackkel Dragon

Jackkel Dragon New Member

I like the sound of having the games not only available on PC, but also having both language scripts. I'll have to check out that setting for BC when I get a chance. I also am glad to hear some of the mistranslations were fixed in BoS/BD. (I didn't even recall the stuff from BoS you mentioned, though it seems obvious to me in hindsight now that I've read the summary of CEMETARY0.) I'm a little curious what the technical plan is for DP, due to it being an actively episodic game, but it sounds like it's far enough away that no information can be shared about that.

(As a side note, I got a little more miffed than I should have when I read an article calling DP being the first episodic Corpse Party game. Some people didn't have to deal with the 3-year wait between BC Ch4 and Ch5 that Japan had.)

As for Cold_Steel_IV, I think Tom answered most of the questions, but just a few additional notes:

Are these all the games?

When you include the existing Corpse Party for PC (BloodCovered in Japan), this is pretty much the whole existing series, game-wise. There are some spinoff novels/manga, but most are adaptations or sidestories. The only one that ties in directly to the game series is CEMETARY0, but most of its important information is introduced in the games as well.

There are also two more remakes of BC (BloodCovered:...Repeated Fear in Japan), one for PSP/iOS and one for 3DS. The PSP one has mostly redone art assets and a new voice cast, while the 3DS one has fully redone art and all the other features of the PSP game. Each version of the game also has its own set of bonus chapters, based on the version:

BC: 1 2 3 [Tooth]
    BR PSP: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    BR 3DS: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Basically, the PC version (BC) or the 3DS version (BR 3DS) are generally the best entry points into the series. I'd honestly recommend both, since they have different content (slightly) and visuals, but not everyone has the time or money for that.

As for the original PC-98 version of Corpse Party, it's still floating around somewhere if you can find it and have an emulator, but it's only in Japanese. (Also, I think the original site for the contest it was part of went down, so it's harder to download now.) A remake that changed only the graphics and one of the endings, Corpse Party -Rebuilt-, is also around. That should run on modern computers a lot better, since it was made in RPG Maker XP. It also has an English translation by Memories of Fear, and I hear it got some other translations later on.

How interconnected are the games and are any of them stand alone?

The games very much build off each other as they go on, so playing them roughly in release order is strongly recommended. Only Dead Patient can be really be seen as standalone, but may become more reliant on the previous games in future chapters. (It also follows from Blood Drive, so can spoil the ending of that game if you haven't played it yet. Ironic, since DP came out first.)

I don't really know anything about this series, so anything you could tell me about the games would be appreciated!

My best way of describing this series is that it's kind of like a slasher movie with a mystery and really developed characters. It gets pretty gory in a "guro" (eroticised gore) kind of way like slasher movies do, but you generally will feel bad for at least some of the victims because they're developed characters. The first two games and Dead Patient also have a sort of Zero Escape "find a way out" vibe.

A key thing about the series is that you're trying to survive and escape or accomplish some objective, but you have very little in the way of fighting back against the dangers of the haunted locations. Even the most action-y games have very little in the way of combat. (Blood Drive has running into cabinets or collecting protection items, Dead Patient has throwing cans as distractions or hiding in closets.) Most of the games have puzzles of some kind, and while there are technically always hints, they are often very vague or confusing. (Like expecting you to follow a dangerous ghost to get a key item.)

Another major theme in the series is the supernatural, which is fairly low-key in the first game but picks up a bit in Book of Shadows and comes to a head in Blood Drive. As such, the first two games and Dead Patient are mostly about small-scale horror happening to a group of people, while Blood Drive and the implied bigger picture of Dead Patient are worldwide, almost cosmic-scale horror. (Then we have 2U, the birthday party game.)

-----

At any rate, I feel like I've typed quite a bit for now. Hopefully that will help you decide if this is a good series for you. I really enjoy it (and I feel it shows in my own projects), but it's certainly not for everyone. (Even some of the voice actors mentioned that they are afraid to play the game.)