Finished Pc Version -Spoilers-

Discussion in 'Corpse Party Series' started by Catasplurge, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Catasplurge

Catasplurge Member

All in all I enjoyed it a lot. The horror reminded me a lot of the Higurashi VN, although this might be even more unsettling since you have to explore everywhere yourself. The whole interdimensional nexus bit, as weird as that sounded at first, I feel almost made the game how scary it is, cause by chapter 2 I was just looking at a guide but still felt scared that some random thing could just happen. Story was very interesting with how it just kept showing off new angles to it every step of the way.

Now for the real reason I made this thread since I probably don't have any original thoughts on this, there is some questions I have.

1. Do the sequels for these games have any jump scares at all? I'm interested in getting them now and would be sad to hear if they did have any cause I felt like the game had better horror to it cause it didn't use any. Based of this game I'm not entirely expecting that they do, but you never know with the horror genre.

2. I heard the PSP version didn't have chapter 5 at all. How did that even work? I'm guessing the chapter 4 ending was different, but did it just have Yoshiki and Ayumi escaping and just didn't have the scene where they go back or do all of them get out then? Or was it just completely different?

3. Quick plot question, is the reason the principle killed Sachiko's mom ever expanded upon more? Maybe in the extra chapters or sequels. In the main chapters, as far as I know, the only thing that was said about was in the principles room when he was murmuring "It was just a temporary lapse in judgement" which I don't know entirely know what that means in this situation. Now that I'm writing this I'm wondering if it was maybe just him going crazy for a second but now I don't remember if he started being weird before or after his whole deal with Sachiko.

2. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

1. Not really. No more than the first game did, anyway -- meaning there are probably a few I'm forgetting about, but they're very inconsequential and not particularly numerous if they are there. Also, as an aside, if you're a Higurashi fan, you should DEFINITELY play Corpse Party: Book of Shadows -- it's basically Higurashi Kai, and is a wonderful follow-up to the original. (Blood Drive, on the other hand, is a bit of an odd duck, eschewing horror in favor of supernatural adventure. It feels very "animu" in its execution, and might be a turn-off if you go into it not expecting the huge tonal shift.)

2. The PSP version definitely has chapter 5! Apologies for any confusion. The PC version was released episodically in Japan, and when the PSP version came out, PC chapter 5 didn't exist yet, which is probably the source of this rumor -- but even though the PC version didn't have chapter 5 yet at the time, the PSP version did, so people playing the PSP game at launch in Japan were able to experience chapter 5 before anyone else. The downside to this, for PSP gamers, is that the PC version of chapter 5 had more time to "cook" as a result, and is arguably a much better telling of chapter 5. Certain scenes, like the pool of bugs, weren't present in the PSP version of the chapter at all, and a lot of the best music in chapter 5 (including the mid-chapter vocal theme and the bomb shelter music) was arranged very differently in the PSP version (and were IMHO not as good as what's in the PC version).

3. Actually, PC Corpse Party should've had all the info you need to know about that.
    Basically, Takamine accosted Yoshie when she was alone and tried to sexually assault her. She ran, and he pursued. And while running, Yoshie tripped and fell down the stairs, breaking her neck and dying instantly. So I guess that would be, what, murder in the second degree? Even though Takamine didn't directly kill her, she died trying to get away from him, so he would've still definitely been held responsible. Sachiko's death, on the other hand, was straight-up murder in the first degree -- she witnessed Yoshie's death, so Takamine killed her to keep her quiet.

-Tom

3. Catasplurge

Catasplurge Member

All this is making me think about is how I want mangagamer to just get done with the main chapters already so I can read Kai and the extra Hou chapters.
    But yeah I was actually just reading another thread that talked about the tonal shifts, which I don't really care too much about as long as the writing is still good. But good to know in advance though.

What's weird is that the VNDB page for the PC release says that it's not in the PSP version, but it could just be the they got the information from your blog. https://vndb.org/r34423 Although I could see the wording of "5th chapter missing from the PSP version" somehow meaning it's a different version, it's not really something anyone would pick up on if that's what was intended (which it probably wasn't.)
    Edit: Looking at the edit history, it seems the differences between versions description got added on the 25th so it seems like it was definitely from the blog.

Huh, for some reason I didn't even figure out that he was trying to do that. Well I mean I knew he doing something weird but not to that extent, might have been focusing more on what happened next. So I guess the temporary lapse in judgement line was either him trying to cover it up or lying to himself.

4. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

I don't honestly like the story in Blood Drive all that much. Not most of it, anyway -- I like the new characters a lot, and I like some parts of the story, but its reliance on anime tropes and its general "off-the-rails" narrative make it probably my least favorite Corpse Party game.

The writing definitely has its moments, though, to be sure!

The lapse in judgment line, along with the other lines he mutters in his office, are suggestive of him basically victim-blaming Yoshie. He seems to think that he did nothing wrong -- that his advances on Yoshie were just the result of bad judgment in the heat of the moment, and that it's her fault she died because she shouldn't have run from him.

Basically, it's the game making him into a total scumbag. And doing a rather nice job of it! ;)

-Tom