Final Fantasy 7 Remake Discussion

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by Ammy175, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

2. DefeatableAirMan

DefeatableAirMan New Member

Seems like a good plan. The FF7R talk is already starting to encroach on the general gaming thread.

Not to pile on to the negativity heap, but the one thing I'm concerned about, setting aside the more obvious complaints, is that Square-Enix would dumb down or omit some of the defining character moments (defining to me, anyways) in lieu of more fast-paced scenes to appeal to the "modern gamer." For example, cutting out Barret's story-line with North Corel and Dyne because, hey, Barret's supposed to be this big tough guy, what's with him looking all contrite and upset all of a sudden? Or, them leaving out the deal with Cid and Shinra and the old rocket. Why have that when they could introduce Cid's long lost-twin brother who turns into a giant demon dragon and you have to fight him while falling off a 200-foot skyscraper onto a trampoline?

That's what really, really bothered me about all the spin-offs. The core essence of the characters were distilled and put on display in the most straightforward way possible. They were turned into silhouettes, where you didn't have to spend more than two seconds looking at them to understand everything you needed to know about them and their character motivations. You didn't have to sit down and think about it. Anyone who heard anything about FF7 past the 00's knows that Barret's the huge dude with the gun, Cloud's the emo punk, and Aerith's the super good girl! These aren't the characters I know. But they're the ones a lot of people do know, and that's why I worry that S-E might try to (to paraphrase an old sculptors' saying) chisel away anything that doesn't fit that silhouette.

Of all the things to worry about regarding the remake, this probably is the least concerning (actually, given what we've seen since, it might be more likely they would ADD to the backstories of Cait Sith/Reeve, Red, Yuffie, etc.) But given certain characterization choices in subsequent Compilation games (and FFXIII,) can you blame me?

3. Chaosblade77

Chaosblade77 Well-Known Member

The only things events I really expect to be removed or heavily altered are the Wall Market/Honey Bee Inn segments.

But yeah, pretty much the entire compilation is garbage and retroactively damages FF7 more than it helps, so the best case scenario is that they ignore all of it. Of course that's not going to happen though.

4. kopykatx

kopykatx Active Member

Pretty much a given that the world map will be gone now. I'm thinking the first episode will be the Midgard stuff, ending with the motorcycle chase.

As soon as I heard who the Director was, my hype deflated. Does S-E have any good director's left. Really wish Ito would do something, as he's the only one left I have any faith in.

Kawazu's the other, but he's better suited for SaGa, which I like more anyway.

5. Chaosblade77

Somebody has to clean the toilets. Might as well be the guy who doesn't see eye to eye with SE's cinematic approach to RPGs.

6. kopykatx

kopykatx Active Member

Sad thing is that almost sounds plausible. Boy, how the mighty have fallen.

7. Ryos

Ryos Active Member

Meh, as soon as I saw the "game" was now going to be turned into a series, any and all limited hopes I had in the remake were squashed. Call me anachronistic all you want but I enjoyed back in the days when games were a full experience unto themselves.

8. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

I honestly have a hard time picturing fem-Cloud in HD :p Just him with the seriousness and deep, masculine voice, try and pull that off... Bonus points if they keep in the uhhh antics of that part.

9. TiamatNM

TiamatNM New Member

Can anyone else think of another remake that was split into multiple parts? I can't think of anything.

10. Nyaon

Nyaon New Member

[​IMG] Call me gullible but I'm actually excited about this. I like the new battle system!

They did say the reason it's split into parts is because they're going in-depth with everything. Seems like the parts might be divided like the original game's CDs were from what they're saying. I'm not a FF7 fanatic nor am I happy with SE's recent games, I just like to give people the benefit of doubt. I hope they can maintain the original game's lighthearted moments because the remake looks so dark and gritty right now. Kind of like everything else they do these days.

My only concern right now is the pricing. I hope they're fair, because they're going to make money off of this regardless.

11. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

Especially if you're correct in that there'll be 3 discs that go as far in as the PS1 version, meaning disc 3 would just be the final dungeon.

12. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

maybe they'll make...NEW content? ...Naw.

13. Chaosblade77

Realistically, I don't think we can judge where splits will be based on the original game, since they said they want to expand on things and add to the game. They already said that the explorable parts of Midgar will be bigger and include areas that weren't in the original game, for example. Midgar alone could end up being a 20-30 hour story on it's own and serve as the first act.

14. dunno001

dunno001 Member

Supposedly they are, but I've no faith in them doing it right. It'll be just like Chrono Trigger DS- so blatently tacked on that it's easiest to, and should be, ignored.

15. kopykatx

kopykatx Active Member

Gotta call BS on size being an issue. PS4 can read up to 128 GB 4-layer BluRay disc. No way it would be bigger than that. It's all about the money.

16. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

Probably all them super graphix cutscenes they won't compress at all, if anything.

Adding to midgar sounds nice though because I always wanted to explore more of it. I actually thought the whole game would take place there... it was my first RPG that was not Pokemon, so imagine my surprise at the World Map concept. X3

17. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Well-Known Member

Yeah it's gotta be a money issue. It probably is a big game with a huge development budget so they want:

A: to get back more than the standard $59.99 per copy sold for it

And

B: to start getting money back for it before the whole thing is complete

As a businessman, I understand it, as a customer I'm not thrilled about it. Still going to buy it day one though.

18. Akeashar

Akeashar Active Member

Read an interview where the multi-part thing was clarified, and the combat system was clarified. Its described by SE themselves as 'Dissidia meets Kingdom Hearts with a bit of Final Fantasy' with the emphasis on Dissidia combat.

Yeah. No buy if they stick with that.

19. Poshakitoo

Poshakitoo New Member

Well it totally depends on which one of the Dyssidia battle systems they will choose. If they pick the one that was developed for 012, for which you can turn it rpg-style or free combat style, then i think it can be good. If they're heavily charging it to Kingdom Hearts one, then i'm for sure that it will suck.

20. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

My goodness have I seen mixed reactions to this, it is said Final Fantasy is one of the most scrutinized franchises ever. Me pesonally? I think I can live with the battle system, I can wait till all the parts are out THEN play them (wonder if it will be digital only in the beginning, and physical later with all the parts included? Or digital and physical through out?). I am in no rush to play this at all, Final Fantasy has been on "read reviews first" since XIII smacked me in the face and woke me up to how square is now. There is no way it is going to be better than the original game, there is just no way imo, that said it could be a great modern game despite the unusual release model, the length (it sounds like the collective of all the parts could be 150+ hours, and maybe thats being generous to the low end). More information would really be helpful to help clear the air about it, but I know square is going to dangle the string in front of the kittens face for as long as possible to build the hype and chatter about it. Some others have said it, I would also rather see an actual new game from square than this, and I am kind of aggrivated with the FFVII fan base in general wanting them to remake it so badly because I didnt ever think it was necessary and I wish new comers to FFVII need to understand how good the ORIGINAL games is and not just cheat and play a remake that is so modified from the original game. Guess all we can really do it wait...