Fighting Games: Heaven Or Hell! Let's Rock!

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by Captain Falcon, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

It's not like any other kind however, and really, it's not a serious fighting game, no matter what anyone says, as it really wasn't designed for it. It was built for random chaos, and that's what it does best.
    I think the thing with those is that they actually try, which counts for a lot, even to the point of making fights make sense, or weaving additional challenge into them with the story.
    I've only played Persona 4 Arena out of their efforts, which I bought purely for the story, and that even worse on the story:gameplay department, seeing as having about half an hour between a fight of text is a baseline and all fights are just one-round matches.
    Incidentally, I like fighting games which are designed for people who are terrible at them, like me, so I really like having a random bash on Persona 4 Arena. Although anything I had which resembled any sort of competence has long since gone as I've not done it for a while.

2. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

I like fighting games, but I... tend to suck at them a lot, which often times makes me discouraged and not buy/play them often. I am not sure what it is, but I just have trouble getting good at them... maybe I need to practice more, and try to actually learn the controls and not just mash and hope for good results. X3

I enjoy Soul Calibur (2), Super Smash Bros., Street Fighter 2, and Guilty Gear (more for it's characters and world; been thinking of getting into BB for the same reason).

I might just not put enough time into them... hmm, maybe one day. :3 I am thinking of going back to Street Fighter 2 and trying to get good.

3. kknd2002

kknd2002 Member

I like fighting games and I'm half decent at some of them (ie KoF, SF, GG, SC) but it takes too much practice and between that and music games, I chose music games.

4. KlausRealta

KlausRealta Well-Known Member

Even if it is an unconventional fighting game, is still is a fighting game though, right? I term I like for it that I heard it being called was a "party fighting game", but I forget who used that... I will definitely agree that it isn't a traditional fighting game though.

5. TiamatNM

TiamatNM New Member

I think it's a fighting game.

6. Kintoki

Kintoki New Member

Blazblue is worth it for the gag reel endings alone.

7. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

It is, but it sort of exists in its own subgenre simply down to how weird it is comparatively.
    Just look at the damage system, that's just bizarre compared to any other fighting game really.
    Not saying it isn't a fighting game, but neither is really like most of them. Mostly an outlier really.

8. Captain Falcon

Captain Falcon Well-Known Member

So, who got BlazBlue CP? Just picked up my LE today. Looking forward to diving in.

9. KlausRealta

I'm getting my LE later this week. I hope I can actually learn how to play the game this time... I probably should finish tutorial mode in BBCS EXTEND in preparation so I'm not too lost..

10. Captain Falcon

I've been playing since Calamity Trigger. I got a chance to play CP once in Japan.

11. KlausRealta

I want to play CT, but I'll only get the LE since I want the OST and I don't want to buy the game twice. You went to Japan, Cpt. Falcon? That's cool. How was playing CP?

12. Captain Falcon

Yeah, me and my brother went for vacation last summer (he's been there like five times now for various reasons). I only got to play one round through Arcade as Izayoi since she's one of the new characters. But it was interesting; I'm looking forwards to playing the game properly.

13. Captain Falcon

I've really not played nearly as much BB as I've meant to since it came out. Actually, I think I've played more P4A since then, although that's because I finally finished P4G and so felt like I could now jump into Arena's story mode.

I'm still really looking forward to GG Xrd.

14. KlausRealta

I haven't played Chrono Phantasma at all, even though I got the Limited Edition... I didn't play Continuum Shift EXTEND like I planned to either...

How is Guilty Gear compared to BlazBlue?

15. Captain Falcon

The attack buttons are, instead of A B C and Drive, are Punch, Kick, Slash, and Heavy Slash. In addition, it uses a fifth button called Dust. Basically, when you hit the opponent with that, it sends them up into the air and allows you to follow for an aerial combo. For the most part, the two series use similar mechanics. Both give you a burst. Both have their force cancels in exchange for 50% meter (Force Cancels in GG, Rapid Cancels in BB), except GG also has certain moves that let you instead use a Force Roman Cancel, which only takes 25% meter. Unlike BB, GG has actual Instant Kills; that is, you can activate IK mode, where you can then try for it. This mode takes meter while you're in it, and then health if you have no meter. And if you use your IK and don't succeed, you lose your meter for the rest of the round.

Again, they play similarly, but have their own quirks that make them different that I don't feel qualified to try to discuss. And I'm sure there are additions to Xrd that makes some old mechanics outdated. Some of what I said about GG was added to future versions of GG XX. If you want to try, I do believe GG XX ^ Core + R is on the PSN. That would give you a feel before Xrd.

16. Raikyn

Raikyn New Member

I love fighting games but i'm so bad it makes me sad x)

Did you pass the score attack mode of P4A ?

17. TiamatNM

TiamatNM New Member

A big difference between Guilty Gear and Blazblue is the wakeup system. When you get knocked down in guilty gear you just stand up automaticlaly after being grounded for a sec (most 2D fighters are like this). In Blazblue you can do tech rolls and stuff so it's totally different.

18. Raikyn

Raikyn New Member

2 new trailers for P4AU (don't clic if you didn't finish Persona 4, this can spoil)

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjZVWCQOPec[/media]

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP8UuRFuO30[/media]

So Adachi is a DLC character huh ? ... I hope he'll be included with the first print bonus :/

19. MasterNemesis

MasterNemesis New Member

20. MasterNemesis

MasterNemesis New Member

If I would do a list of fighting games mine would be like this :

1. Street Fighter Series
    2. Tekken Series
    3. Persona 4 Arena / Ultimax
    4. BlazBlue Series
    5. Arcana Heart Series
    6. Mortal Kombat Series
    7. Guilty Gear Series