Fate/extra Ccc

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ChestnutBowl, Oct 29, 2013.

1. SpaceDrake

SpaceDrake New Member

It's... a number of things. Each one is perhaps not a deal-killer by itself, but when added together, and when you realize that trying to change any of them would ruin the game completely, you understand the issues that would be involved in trying to bring the game over.

First and probably most obvious are the "SGs", and the related "punish" sequences. Yes, these involve a lot of nude imagery. These are, amazingly, the smallest problem they have. It is very easy to misinterpret the "punish" sequences at the end of most chapters as a kind of voyeuristic tearing-down. They aren't, though; they're about confronting a character with their problems and making them realize their issues. Perhaps not accept them at once, but it's ultimately an attempt to help. There is probably a bit of tragic (in a meta sense) use of arousing imagery to get the otaku cadre in Japan to care about the game, but these sequences are ultimately not about the visuals at all, and the game makes the jarring disconnect work for it. But all a lot of critics will ever see are revealing images and the player character being "cruel" to other characters. (The images themselves, of course, are a ratings-board minefield, but that's a separate issue.)

Second is the nature of the antagonists... and you'll forgive me if I'm very vague here, as I don't want to spoil anyone on this, even in a spoiler box. The antagonists, needless to say, fit the game's advertised theme of "eros" very well. Exactly well, in fact. To the point that they serve in some fashion as a counterpoint to antagonists in Fate/SN and the original Extra. Their arcs ultimately offer up a number of ruminations on the nature of attraction, on the nature of desire, and yes, the nature of love, in the romantic sense and other senses. It's very obvious Nasu wanted to ruminate on a lot of things in the narrative of this game - and yes, the game is written by the man himself.

But. Due to the way they are portrayed in parts of the game, I am absolutely certain that may critics would - willingly or otherwise - interpret the antagonists as a broad "attack" on women. That the game's message is that women are to be feared and fought. Which, if you're paying an iota of attention, isn't the point at all and is nearly the opposite of the point - but I can already see the arguments in my mind's eye, and they are ugly and damaging to the company that dares to attempt to sell CCC.

Finally is the game's violence. Ironically, this is more a problem for Europe than it would be for America, since America is completely inured to violence at this point, but some sections of the game are disturbingly violent. Ironically, it isn't always graphic violence or isn't shown in the worst way it could be, but it's there and sometimes it can be very unsettling. Let me put it this way: at one point a character is impaled through the chest (and this is quite graphic), and another time a character is torn in half by an assailant. These events are common to all routes in the game. It's not quite Fate/Zero levels of brutality, but it gets close at times.

The short of it is, there's all kinds of issues that make the game a poor fit for export - and many of these are, ironically, the things that make the game so great. To try and change them would deface the game... but it's easy to see how the modern criticism apparatus, and even modern American (in particular) culture, would badly misinterpret the game, often without bothering to finish it. There's simply no way it would be worth the heartache and bad press, especially given how much work would have to go into the localization effort.

2. Damien

Damien New Member

I want the game even more now ...

I wonder what ever happened to games as an artistic medium. Right now it's almost like "Games are art but well... we like money too much"

3. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

Thank you for the details, Drake. Now I get a better picture as to why it'd be a pickle to localize the game.

4. LongTimeNoSiege

LongTimeNoSiege New Member

The sort of people who make a fuss about this sort of thing - the people who take such things out of context and misinterpret them as an "attack" on morality or equality or what have you - don't matter. Those sort of people are completely ignored by the entire possible audience of CCC, and I'd go so far as to say that the publicity couldn't cause any real damage to any possible publisher who would try to localize it, because all the possible groups that would don't usually market their other games to the sort of people that take such bilious drivel seriously.

It could potentially be a marketing nightmare. However, I think that in this case, it would be a case of all publicity being good publicity. The sort of people who would take the words of "journalists" that would misinterpret the imagery seriously are the sort of people who wouldn't buy it in the first place. The controversy that would be caused would be enough to spread word about the game to people who are interested in it, or people who wish to form their own opinion on the subject matter themselves rather than accepting the words of "journalists" that are known for horribly misunderstanding the content of games or outright not playing them and forming opinions based solely on second-hand information.

Not to mention the game itself would cause a split even amongst the mainstream. The sensationalist "writers" would attack the lewd imagery, using falsehoods, straw men, and out-of-context evidence like they usually do, but there would also be a very vocal opposition that sees the game for what it is - a dark, but excellently-written and thought-provoking work that covers some extremely controversial themes and uses extreme imagery effectively.

5. akito666

akito666 New Member

I have the Japanese version of the game, standalone without the figurine. Haven't play it yet though.

6. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

In the midst of a new interview with Aksys posted on Siliconera, the subject of whether or not they will handle Fate/Extra CCC was raised. (Un)surprisingly, a straight answer was not on the cards:

7. akito666

akito666 New Member

Boo, what kind of an answer is that. I like curry too!

8. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

Oh, my heart can't take this! It just can't handle another disappointment! If Aksys localize CCC, I don't know if my body can handle this.

9. tilinelson2

tilinelson2 Active Member

Well, if nothing, at least his answer is better than no. I would not hold high hopes, though.

10. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

But if they aren't really working on the game, I'd rather have that "no".

11. Mavrickjubei

Mavrickjubei New Member

A MarvelousAQL title! I don't see why not! Fate/Stay Night is a long running series now on their 4th anime release!

12. LongTimeNoSiege

LongTimeNoSiege New Member

It's only their 2nd if you only count good releases.

13. sorenman1

sorenman1 New Member

Let's hope this brings in more fans to the Fate series.

14. GuardianOfDarkness

GuardianOfDarkness New Member

yea i would totally buy it even limited edition if Zseed localizes it, i believe the first game sold well with Aksys so anyone at Xseed have a base to convince the managers at Xseed to pick it up *looking at Tom* :p

but seriously i'm a hardcore Type Moon fan so it saddens me to see the game not localized or fan translated yet

15. TiamatNM

TiamatNM New Member

this game was doomed the minute Aksys announced that curry game lol...

16. Ryos

Ryos Active Member

Normally I'd say there's always a chance but I think we're past the PSP expiration date for any new announcements at this point (barring the unknown PSP title at Gaijinworks). I'd be surprised if there isn't a fan translation at some point but part of it is someone doesn't want to waste time translating something that could end up being localized. Type-0 didn't show much in the way of activity until after it was basically shown that Square-Enix had no intention of releasing it or allowing anyone else.

17. KlausRealta

KlausRealta Well-Known Member

Is anyone at XSEED a Type-Moon fan? If not, while I don't XSEED's ability to produce quality translations, I'm not exactly sure if I would want them to handle this since there might be references to other previous Type-Moon series.

We did get a character from Tsukihime and Kara no Kyoukai in the original Fate/EXTRA after all although I'm not sure how many, if any, are in CCC.

I guess I might happy if this game was picked up, but unless there's someone supporting to get this game from XSEED and since the PSP boat has sailed as Ryos said, I doubt that XSEED would actually pick up this game.

18. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

Have some hope, people.

19. sorenman1

sorenman1 New Member

I haven't lost hope yet.

20. tilinelson2

tilinelson2 Active Member

I am a Brazilian and I never give up!