Fate/EXTELLA is coming to the Switch in July

Discussion in 'Fate/EXTELLA' started by Battlechili, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Japanese games in general do it ALL THE TIME, but since we don't always get the vanilla AND plus version of all of the games localized, we don't see it as much. It's the same thing there, for the most part, with the plus version bigger, better, and DLC included a lot of the time, too. I do hear that argument sometimes even when a plus version gets localized, but not too often.

2. Renari

Renari New Member

The switch wasn't even out when the game launched check and second, this game only launched 5 months ago. This is a very short time period for all the DLC to be included. So anyone that spent >$100 for this game and all of its DLC feels as if they wasted a lot of money by purchasing this game. Furthermore there is an exclusive outfit that we won't even have access to.

ChaosAzerothCat likes this.
  3. strife.v1

strife.v1 Member

Ya'll act like Game of the Year editions of games haven't existed since DLC was a thing. This happens all the time.
    I'm sorry you spent a small fortune on costume DLC but by the time the Switch version comes out, it'll be 8 months from the Japanese release. That's a pretty good amount of time.
    Honestly, it seems you guys are more mad about the exclusive outfit.
    NOW YOUR COLLECTION WILL NEVER BE COMPLETE!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  4. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

It's still not all that new. I just looked up one game that I remember coming out fairly quickly. Akiba's Trip 2. The difference in time between the PS3/Vita version and the new, improved, and full of DLC version of the PS4 version, was 8 months. Senran Kagura: Sakura Edition came out a year later, had a bunch of DLC, and was cheaper. This really isn't much difference.

EDIT: As I was posting this, the above post happened. Yeah, even in western games GoTY editions happen with EVERYTHING together. Doesn't really matter with the time difference, because regardless, it will still include extra stuff. You pay for immediate access and ability to play and beat the game right away. These things are never a sure thing to even ever COME out.

5. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

That, and also almost all of the DLC just outfits?
    Pretty low on the "worthwhile addition" list usually.

6. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

The butthurt is strong with this one.

DLC is cosmetic only for this game, as far as I know. Do people really get THIS bent out of shape over making a character wear a different dress or something so mundane and unimportant? Jeeeeeeezzz Louiiiiiiise.

Props to all of the rational, level-headed persons in this matter.

7. Wargamer

Wargamer Member

My main concern is that you always make definitive editions for every consoles except the one the game came on originally.
    Say I want the definitive edition, my only option is to get it on Switch even though there's nothing that's preventing the definitive version from coming on PS4/PSV as well.
    As always, I didn't buy it because I knew you'd pull that stunt again and I'm fine with it. It was written in the sky that it was going to happen, people that felt for it again have no one but themselves to blame.
    Right now there's 2 versions of the game at the exact same price, one with free DLC and the other with 70$ worth of DLC. I don't have a switch so I'm not getting the first one and I sure as hell will never buy the one with 70$ worth of DLC when there's a version with free DLC.
    Release the definitive edition on playstation and I'll get it as long I don't feel there's going to be definitive v2 edition.

8. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

^ Tell Japan to make a definitive edition for PS4 then. All of these issues are a Japanes publisher decision. XSEED doesn't make these things.

Once again, nothing is ever certain with games that a definitive edition will or won't come out.

9. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, pretty much what Terro said. We don't make games, we just publish them. And there isn't nothing preventing the definitive version from coming out on PS4/PSV: it's contractual. It was basically a matter of, publish things the way we are, or don't publish them at all.

We're not big fans of this sort of division either, but in the end, we'd rather offer the game on more platforms than fewer so a wider audience is able to play it. And ultimately, as others have pointed out, the DLC is all cosmetic -- none of it affects the gameplay or story in any way -- so the actual gaming experience PS4 and Vita owners are getting is really no better or worse than that of Switch owners.

I'm not trying to discount your objections, of course, as they are perfectly reasonable and perfectly understandable. But in the end, all we can do is voice them to the Japanese developers and hope that next time around, they're taken more into consideration.

-Tom

10. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Personally, I see it like this: it stinks that we get a definitive edition period (especially as a hardcore collector, I have to decide if I want to get this too or just play the PS4 vanilla). BUT, seeing publisher support and having more niche games do well on Switch is also awesome. PS4 is my main console, but Switch has plenty of advantages too. It's nice to see the quick niche support, and with the additions, it's not just a straight port. Disgaea 5 is a perfect example. That had an original pricetag season pass for $35. Switch version gives it all. And that actually gives you extra characters to use!

11. strife.v1

strife.v1 Member

I definitely plan on getting Disgaea 5 on Switch.
    I've never played.

12. Clessy

Clessy Member

Just provide a 70% - free off all DLC from this point onward as a face saver from now. Or if you could get anyone who bought the DLC a psn voucher code for $5 it would go a long way in the department of showing you dont just wanna screw fans. Even though its not xseeds fault per say.

Also confirm that this port is 1080p/60fps in docked mode or its already a let down.

13. Clessy

Clessy Member

I get that death threats are a moronic way to express yourself but, I do have to say people being upset and mad at a lot of those issues are real. Im a especially a huge hater of "diversity" because its not. Its mostly pandering. I was just going threw my steam reccomend list and had so many games with "FEMALE PROTAGNIST" as a selling point tag. Cmon stop pandering to feminism. Theres been tons of amazing games with female leads forever this whole "inequality" thing is a myth made by sjw and white knights who dont know how to be men and rather kiss ass and totally lose all respect for themselves.

This post is stupid. Period. You should voice to the localization company because they are your bridge to the publishers in Japan. People shouldnt have to go to japanese sites, write responses in Japanese and comunicate to a partern company. You get thats why they have branches for localization right?

I dont think its appropriate to trivalise things that matter to people. If people want all the DLC but cant even give a company money because its exclusive they can be upset about it. They can also very much be upset about being burned on over priced DLC. It feels like they where suckered into it. GOTY editions normally come out at least a year later and are normally on avaliable on the same platforms and for less. Example you could buy a GOTY edition for $30 on the same system you bought the original. In this case you dont even have the choice of a definitive version on the system you original bought it for. There is plenty of reason to be upset here. Just because it doesnt matter to you doesnt mean you need to belittle people.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  14. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

When companies don't back-port stuff it sucks, platform exclusive-content isn't a win for everyone, mostly a loss, actually.
    Although, sometimes there's just long gaps, and sometimes bundling it all together encourages people to buy another copy.
    I've gotten bundles well after the fact that were cheaper than buying the stuff individually again, and that's okay I guess?
    Being a different platform makes that trickier, but it also depends if you wanted to play it on that platform in the first place, and it's a pretty big no-brainer to include it to get some adopters in.
    Otherwise people who never picked it up to begin with might not buy the version you just ported if they can get the original one for cheaper, and businesses frequently don't care so much about old release sales compared to their latest new thing.

15. Captain Falcon

Captain Falcon Well-Known Member

First off, using "SJW" unironically already hits your credibility fairly hard. I'm not going to sit here and argue that there haven't been amazing games with female protagonists or that there aren't instances of pandering, but you can't seriously try to tell me that the "AAA" game industry hasn't traditionally overwhelming pandered (see, I can use that word too) to white, heterosexual males. Certainly the western sector of the industry, in any event. You don't like the games that are "pandering" to the "white knights" or the "femanazis' or whatever dumbass other groups you've concocted, then don't play them. Those games existing don't take away from your manly games full of men.

Onto the actual topic at hand:

And you realize that XSEED publishes for more than just their parent company, right? While in this case, yes, XSEED's parent is the company that developed the game, there are plenty of other instances where they are only connected to the dev insofar as it relates to getting the game to Western market. That's not to say they don't have contact with these companies in such way that they could make customer concerns known; I merely suspect that it would make things more difficult.

As for the overall point; it's certainly understandable to be upset about things like this. As long as one understands that this isn't XSEED's fault, it's fine to, you know, express your frustrations in a reasonable manner, and request that they might be able to express said concerns to their Japanese overlords.

In other words, don't be a dick.

Leon Tekashi likes this.
  16. SilentThisSide199x

SilentThisSide199x Well-Known Member

I'm getting the feeling some things are too predictable

17. Wyrdwad

Again, we can't just unilaterally do that. Pricing is largely set by the developers, not by us. We do have a say, and we do try to give players deals whenever we can, but any pricing changes or sales we suggest MUST be approved by the original developers before we can offer them to fans here.

Genuinely not sure, as I'm not personally involved with the project. I'm quite certain that information will be released well before launch, though.

I do agree with you that there have been amazing games with female leads for a long time, but it certainly hasn't been a proportional amount -- throughout gaming history, until VERY recently, female protagonists could be found in *maybe* 5-10% of games (and that's a very generous estimate), and a sizable percentage OF that percentage consisted of "girl games" which saw our protagonist doing things like... her hair and make-up, finding dates, playing dress-up, etc. It's only in recent years (the past 10 or so) that the indie scene in particular has provided a much larger swath of games featuring strong female protagonists, and I think it's great that the Steam tag exists to help let people know about that. I have a lot of female gamer friends who really enjoy playing as strong female protagonists -- and truth be told, I do too! I like seeing the "other side" of classic gaming adventure stories, since growing up, the vast majority of games I played cast me either as a battle-hardened adult male or a plucky young boy, and any girls who joined my party typically existed solely as love interests and took on the role of healers. And it's cool to vary that up, and play games that take a different approach!

Besides, there's no harm in letting people know that the game in question has a female protagonist. That tag isn't hurting anyone! It's just informing people that hey, if you're looking for a game with a female protagonist, then hey, you've found one.

I've said before that I do believe the "SJW" mindset is a real thing (though it's a term I don't personally like to use, as it has a lot of baggage associated with it right now), and can be seen very clearly in the whole Akiba's Trip "trap" situation around 2 and a half years ago. But including a tag on Steam games to let people know they have female protagonists? That is not an "SJW" move in any way. That's just informing people that your game has a female protagonist. And there ain't a damned thing wrong with providing more info, under any circumstances.

I don't like you calling someone's post "stupid," as that's getting awfully close to flame-baiting -- so please, don't do that again.

But you are correct in the point you're trying to make here: as I said previously in this topic, we pass along all feedback we receive about things like this to the Japanese developers, in hopes that it will influence their decisions on future games (or help influence them to concede to a price drop, sale, bundle, etc.). So please do keep posting your objections here -- your voice IS being heard! Just... try to be respectful about it, OK? As I said in my first post in this topic, we're doing the best we can.

I agree with this as well. Be good to your fellow posters! This is a very understandable thing to be upset about, and the fact that we can't really do anything about it at the moment does not in any way mean we don't WANT to do anything about it, nor does it mean that we're not trying to do something about it.

Yeah, that's pretty much why I don't use the term myself. It really is true that when someone calls someone else an "SJW" in a post, it immediately causes a large chunk of the audience reading that post to assume the poster is an "alt-righter" or a "GamerGater" or some such thing, and the rest of their post will be completely tuned out or dismissed, even if it has some very poignant or relevant content in it.

I don't agree with that approach, though: one should not have their opinions dismissed simply because of the terminology they're using, as there are plenty of people who use the term "SJW" but also make excellent points that are worth discussing. So, yeah... in short, I feel that people who use the term "SJW" should probably stop, since it's doing them no favors. But on the other hand, I feel that people who completely dismiss people who use the term "SJW" should also stop, as they're potentially shutting out someone with a different but still very valid viewpoint.

Actually, there's very little difference -- Marvelous Japan may be our parent company, but they still more or less allow us complete autonomy, and working with them is fundamentally the same as working with Falcom, or Mages, or Acquire. Feedback from players can be passed along to any company we work with, and we do it all the time, sometimes even translating whole reviews or large comment chains for the developer's reference. It's an important part of the job, too, since Japanese companies often don't really understand Western markets, with things working very differently here than they do there.

-Tom

ChaosAzerothCat and Renari like this.
  18. Captain Falcon

Captain Falcon Well-Known Member

I guess you've seen man more instances of this than I. I'm not saying that I immediately dismiss opinions of such people, but I do let out a sigh in anticipation of what I expect I'll be reading; more often than not, I get what I expect.

19. Wyrdwad

That's certainly fair! Admittedly, the same is true for me. I feel like, if nothing else, the term is horribly overused, and attributed to a lot of behaviors that are in no way even remotely "SJW" in nature.

-Tom

20. Clessy

Clessy Member

This is why Xseed is one of if not my best company in terms of customer service. Direct feedback. They listen, they response and the show open paths of comunications with their fans. Even if it can't be 100% transparent due to all sorts of things you try your best. I know it sounds like a lot of ass kissery but, more companies need to understand having people like Tom who act a barrier / medium between the company and its fans is a ever growing importance in the way we conduct business in the modern world. The more out reach to fans the better.

I'd also like to adress the actual DLC issue so more. I completely get why people are upset and I dont think their plight should be taken as useless whining. I personally don't care that switch owners are getting all the DLC free as I felt the pricing was totally wrong on it anyways and bought none of it. What I feel the biggest issue is however, is that there is even more exclusive DLC for the switch version an no re released budget priced complete editions on other systems. So fans have absolutely no way to have the content.

Things will always be cheap on sales and at later times shortly after. Its just bond to happen, its now screwing the fans. Not allowing them access to all the content however, does come off as such. It's how I felt as a monster hunter player. When monster hunter switched from psp to DS is felt totally screwed. It was a Sony associated ip and now you want me to switch teams for your game to play new versions. Just doesnt sit right.

Also as far as fate goes it brings up something I didnt much care about and in fact im sure people can remember me acting Xseed for. I couldnt get into fate because it didnt offer a English voice track on vita. I said xseed wasted money on english dubbing and it was stupid. A few years later I now realize how much easier and how much more im drawn into English dubbed content. When you dont have to read and you can take the time to absorb the game while listening to it, it brings a whole other level to it. I dont skip any dialog at all in the CS games because it adds so much more to the game for me to listen to it. I also think the dubbing is great regardless of others opinions.