Dinosaur Resurrection (Pc / Falcom)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jdkluv, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Cqef

Cqef Member

I was tempted to post "How can a parent forget his own child", but given the number of children err...
    ... oh screw that, love is stronger than numbers! Of course they remember them!

2. Leilee

Leilee New Member

Actually, a game like this will do fine on PC at Steam or GoG. I bet it'd be better at GoG, but that depends on how much Falcom+XSeed care if the game has DRM or not on it. :p

3. SpaceDrake

SpaceDrake New Member

I actually might debate the Steam side of things - one of the big points of flack Chantelise in particular got was for looking "primitive" because it didn't hide its lo-fi-ness as well as Recettear did, and Fortune Summoners also ate a lot of criticism for "not being HD". The general Steam audience has relatively high graphical and presentation standards at this point, and as fun and well-made as DR is, it just wouldn't meet those standards at this point.

(Now, you can argue whether or not they're being dumb, but that's a rather different topic.)

4. LongTimeNoSiege

LongTimeNoSiege New Member

I think the same could be said of every major platform. The only ones in which that isn't true are handhelds, for obvious reasons. The bigger your userbase is, the more plebs you'll have using it.

The Steam userbase is pretty massive, though. There are a lot of less graphically impressive games on there that have done well.

5. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

We got none of that with Ys I & II Chronicles+, which is decidedly not HD (it's hi-res-ish, but certainly not HD!), so I think it all depends on how well you can play up the "historical" angle. And since Dinosaur: Resurrection is a remake of a game from 1989, it's legitimately historical enough that I think people would be able to overlook the SD resolution.

-Tom

6. Veleskola

Veleskola New Member

In all fairness Chantelise looked pretty bad. It's the kinda game that doesn't age well. I admire EGS for trying but visually it didn't work. Recettear at least worked better because it was top-down.

You really need to stop judging how well a game is received based off how well your doujin games did. Because they're doujin games. Not the same quality as Falcom.

7. LongTimeNoSiege

While I agree that people would probably be able to overlook SD resolution, Ys Chronicles is sprite art rather than 3D graphics, which people are usually more accepting of. However, I don't think Dinosaur Resurrection is that "ugly" in spite of its technical limitations, so people probably won't mind.

8. Wyrdwad

Yeah, quite honestly, I think Dinosaur: Resurrection still looks better than the average 3D dungeon-crawler today. Even our own Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls is at most on par with Dinosaur graphically, and arguably not even quite as detailed.

-Tom

9. Veleskola

Veleskola New Member

I couldn't get into Wizardry: lols from the gameplay. I liked the artwork but could never get into the game. I was fine with the mechanics but nothing pulled me in. Same with Unchained Blades. Taking those into account, would I not like Dinosaur?

10. Wyrdwad

Hard to say. Truth be told, I wasn't that fond of Wizardry either (I liked it, but never really could get absorbed in it), but I DID really enjoy Unchained Blades. Gameplay-wise, Dinosaur is very much the same sort of thing, but with a much faster pace to it -- which could make all the difference for you. Battles in Dinosaur absolutely SPEED by, yet manage to be fun and challenging at the same time. And Dinosaur's most unique mechanic is the exposure and rest system -- basically, two important details that work extremely well together:

- The random battle rate drastically varies based on how exposed you are. If you're in the middle of a room, chances are good that your next step will trigger a battle. If you're hugging a wall, the rate will be significantly lower. Walking through a corridor? Lower still. And if you're surrounded by walls on three sides (read: in a dead-end room or at the end of a dead-end corridor), the encounter rate is practically nonexistent. Which brings me to the second detail:

- You can press Enter or click an icon on the screen at any time to rest, Resting recovers HP and MP for the entire party, but only a little bit each time (and the amount is actually MUCH lower when your HP and MP are low -- resting when you're near-death will probably heal only 1 point of each, whereas resting when you're at half health may bring you back up to full)... and each time you rest counts as one movement, so there's a chance you'll get into a random battle with every click or key press.

Combine these two features, and Dinosaur gains one advantage that neither Wizardry nor Unchained Blades can boast: dead-ends actually mean something. When you're out exploring, if you find a dead-end, that's your chance to "set up camp," as it were, and just rest over and over again until your party is fully healed, knowing that your chances of getting into a random battle are virtually nil. It's a very subtle feature, but one that changes the whole dynamic of the gameplay in a really clever way.

The real thing that might determine whether or not you'd enjoy Dinosaur, though, is the story. It's really good, especially for a remake of a game from 1989. It's basically postmodern surrealist horror -- very dark, ultra-serious, with lots of Shakespearean-grade flowery speech and disturbing imagery around every corner, as well as fourth-wall breaking designed not for comedy's sake, but for the creepiness factor. Plot twists in Dinosaur are the kind that will make you say "whoa," or laugh out of confusion, and they tend to be pretty drastic and sudden. Like, you'll be walking along, and all of a sudden you'll enter a room and have an encounter with someone who robs your healer of her sight, curses you to slowly turn into a spider... then just leaves, laughing maniacally.

It's my personal favorite first-person dungeon crawler, and the reason for that is the speed, combined with the exposure and rest system, combined with the creepy-ass story. ;)

Oh, and the music. This game still has the best forest theme I've ever heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePojGtTyP40

-Tom

11. LongTimeNoSiege

12. Veleskola

Veleskola New Member

Wouldn't it be better to hear the music in-game for the first time instead?

13. Wyrdwad

That is generally preferable, though some tracks are pretty universal, sounding just as good whether you hear them in-game for the first time or just listen to them on your own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co4mvvs4gRs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1ENBxGu_jU

Definitely one of Falcom's most underrated soundtracks, IMHO.

-Tom

14. LongTimeNoSiege

For most people, but I usually find that it's the same to me either way.

Hearing it in-game can make you appreciate it all the more, certainly, but it still sounds great outside the game.

15. Wyrdwad

And of course, if you're more looking for "the Falcom sound," that's present in spades too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM2eoYA-7Y8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thjp_opBN_U

-Tom

16. Veleskola

Veleskola New Member

I think all these awesome music links can be classed as torture unless you actually release the game. Tell Ken if he doesn't give in I'll sue. :p