Dinosaur Resurrection (Pc / Falcom)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jdkluv, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

Sad that they don't sell all that well.

2. Veleskola

Veleskola New Member

By DRPGs do you mean Dungeon RPGs? Because I thought the term was dungeon crawler? Speaking of Xanadu Next though, that game and Dinosaur could go very well together on Steam. They're both pretty awesome games that have a soughta western appeal to them. Then say Zwei or Ys does.
    Both of them also happen to be games I want you to put on Steam. Come on! Do it!
    ...please?

3. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

I think most people here use DRPGs to describe games like Wizardry, Class of Heroes, Etrian Odyssey, Elminage, and this game.

4. Cqef

Cqef Member

Well, D-RPGs actually ARE dungeon-crawlers, obviously. But the opposite is definitely not always true.
    Take Pandora's Tower and Ys Origin for instance. These are dungeon-crawlers, but in no way they are D-RPGs.
    The D-RPG as a genre corresponds to specific rules. I'm not a huge fan of them nor very knowledgeable on the matter (the only "real" one I got my hands on was Pokemon Mystery Dungeon on DS, that's so far I got lol), but what I can say is: the main rule is that when you make a move, all your enemies in your surroundings must do their moves in the same proportion, like the same amount of squares or whatever.

To sum up, it goes like this:
    A dungeon-crawler is specific setting-wise (wandering around a dungeon that is) and that's it.
    A D-RPG is gameplay-wise really specific, and involves to be in a dungeon-like setting first-hand.

5. Veleskola

Veleskola New Member

Is Ys Origin really a dungeon crawler? It's an action RPG sure but I wouldn't call it a dungeon crawler.

Also I do like some D-RPGs then. If you count games like Izuna or Timestalker as a D-RPG. But the games Shizuka listed are first-person and slightly different.

6. Cqef

Cqef Member

You're definitely having a little stroll in a huge-ass dungeon, the Darm Tower, that's enough to make it a dungeon-crawler, but it's also as you say, it's definitely an action-RPG :p
    Like I said, a dungeon-crawler is just setting-wise, and does not involve a specific gameplay to be called like that.

7. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

I think you switched definitions there, Cqef.

8. Cqef

Cqef Member

I... don't think so, but I'd be pleased to be corrected if I'm wrong somewhere ^^

9. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

We have a DRPG discussion topic on the last forum, where the term had a different definition for each person, but in the end, they all come down to "dungeon crawler".

10. Cqef

Cqef Member

I can see why, it's easier to talk about dungeon-crawlers because you don't need to debate about gameplay since you can have everything (you can have the D-RPG-specific gameplay I mentioned earlier, you can have A-RPG gameplay like Ys Origin, or no RPG element at all like in the Zelda series).

11. tilinelson2

tilinelson2 Active Member

If a certain XSEED employee that keeps telling forum members how wonderful Falcom DRPGs keeps annoying his boss daily, urging him to release all Falcom games in Steam, that can change. If those games do so well that Falcom starts receiving fat paychecks, I am sure Falcom wouldn't mind giving Kiseki series a short break to make DRPGs that sell like hotcakes in the west.

Then I fell of my bed, but there is a 0.01% of chances that it may happen.

12. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

Don't forget to release a Vita port of the game, too.

13. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

Come on, Tilinelson, you need to suggest a plan I'm NOT already carrying out! ;)

-Tom

14. tilinelson2

15. Zeether

Zeether Member

I would love to see this localized, same with Zwei and Xanadu Next.

16. SpaceDrake

SpaceDrake New Member

Interesting bit of trivia: this is from the era when Falcom hadn't yet announced the plan to split the game in two (and, given when this was printed, it's possible that they hadn't decided to do so yet). You can see that the game is simply being advertised as "Trails in the Sky", with the "Legend of Heroes VI" supertitle being much, much more obvious than it is on later Trails releases. (It's also the last LoH game to have the number officially part of the title. Yes, Tom, I know about the preview book for Zero, but it was never on an actual retail box or listing.)

Anyway, to simply throw my two cents in here: my personal opinion is that DR is just this side of too old to really be viable at this point. The oldest I've been thinking XSEED can go back into Falcom's catalog is Ark; anything before that isn't going to have quite enough visual and technical polish, compared to what consumers expect today, to really succeed or be a viable sale (with Ys I&II being an exception thanks to having been released on another platform recently and having a surprising amount of nostalgia behind it). It's too bad, because DR really is a neat Wizardry-like; hell, it's mechanically more solid than a lot of similar games that've been farted out in the intervening decade. If this was 2008 or 2009, even, I'd be more inclined to say it's a no-brainer, but at this point, especially on the cusp of a new hardware generation (and its attendent bells and whistles), I'd be hesitant to move on it if I were calling the shots at XSEED.

Of course, I'm sure saying all this will simply motivate Tom even harder to prove me wrong. [​IMG]

17. Wyrdwad

Damn straight.

I think you'd be surprised how old we're willing to go. ;)

-Tom

18. tilinelson2

Galactic Wars? Super Mahjong? Joushi Daisei Private? Panorama Jima?

19. Wyrdwad

OH GOD, OUR PLANS HAVE BEEN REVEALED!!

;)

-Tom

20. tilinelson2

I wonder if people from Falcom still remember those games.