CrunchyRoll Game Censorship

Discussion in 'Senran Kagura Series' started by matrich99, Apr 14, 2018.

1. matrich99

matrich99 Member

I was wondering what you guys thought about the "is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon" game having a minigame about touching boobs being taken out of it. Being how this is the Senran Kagura thread and it has a similar thing in all the games except the original burst.

I think it shows how out of touch the group at Crunchyroll is, and doesn't know the audience that was going to play that game. And the fact that the anime behind the game is considered an ecchi they seem to not really understand the content they are dealing with.

Mobile games aren't really my thing, but I was willing to try the game but when I heard this, out of principle I decided to pass on the game. I really don't even mess with the dressing room stuff outside of customizing my characters in Senran Kagura but the fact they take out something seems wrong. The gaming industry seems to be moving toward an anticensorship mentality recently so all of a sudden something like this seems out of place. I don't want to talk bad about some of the management over a Crunchyroll but they really don't seem to know what industry they are in. I guess to bring this full circle XSeed stand on anticensorship(primarily Tom's firm stance) I really enjoy XSeed isn't willing to censor the Senran games outside of the very small thing about the ages.

2. Wargamer

Wargamer Member

I agree with you but I doubt Crunchyroll will see anything bad come out of it, as Tom proved once and once again, we are a minority that care about censorship. 99.999% of the people will get the game based on pretty pictures and videos, the game could be complete trash, missing half of its feature and nearly unplayable and they'd still get it.

I mean since NISA is still alive it's pretty obvious that the majority of people don't care if the localized games melt their console or are completely unplayable because of added bugs.

3. matrich99

matrich99 Member

I agree, with many people will just get the game because of the content inside. Boycotting the game probably will not hurt them although that being said, the game isn't even cracking the top 100 in google play so that might be a sign of lack of interest in the game. Be that from the backlash of their stupid decision or a sign of lacking interest in those games who knows.

4. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

I think it's more most people don't even check reviews on things anyway?
    People just buy things, they don't usually go and check if there's multiple reports of critical bugs or flaws in the design of any sort.
    Or they're actually playing the games for other aspects and the bits being taken out for whatever reason don't ruin their enjoyment of the rest of it.

5. matrich99

matrich99 Member

I actually think a lot more people than you think do. I would agree in this situation though since hardcore fans might buy (or in this case download) something just because it has the characters they like. After 2016 though gamers, in particular, tend to check reviews or just Youtube videos of games before buying because of how Ubisoft and other developers kept basically scamming consumers on their games. Do not I think that has too much bearing on this, probably not but still something.

Consumers charge into things without thinking, that is why preorders have gotten so bad recently by locking content behind preorder paywalls and what not. This is a more rare case though as part of the original trailers for the game even have the mode that got removed from them. I am guessing the trailers are from the original company just adding the English translation stuff. The reason for the backlash it has gotten has just been an information issue. I might not get the game on principle but I know a lot of people are not getting it because Crunchyroll didn't say anything until right before release which is bad form.

One of the reasons I was mad at XSeed when EV was about to release and they announced that the Ikki Tousen characters weren't originally coming over was because of the timing of the information. I didn't know when they found out it could have been at that point but not letting the potential consumers know in enough time is just bad practice. Because of that XSeed has been a lot more forward with this kind of thing. Also making a bigger presence on their social media about releases and stuff.

Something like removing a mode like a boob touching game could have been a poll or something before just making the decision. Crunchyroll has a pretty good Social Media presence so making a poll to find out what the actual consumers wanted instead of thinking "oh this feature is bad/inappropriate must remove it". They could have put out a message like we are thinking about removing the boob touching mode from the game because we think it is inappropriate what do you guys think. The fans would have said don't do it and they would have known a lot more people wanted than maybe they thought. Also of a side tangent, the fact the community manager for the game claims removing the mode is not censorship is kinda funny and maybe even more proof they are out of touch.

Most of these game modes are harmless. I can guarantee people who play SK games may only mess with a mode like this once or twice just to get the achievement and be done with it. The same thing would more than likely be true for the Crunchyroll game, but it is a principle thing, let the customers make those decisions. Companies should stop thinking they know whats best for the consumers and let them make that decision.

6. Ringwraith

And yet, we still keep getting some games with shonky localisations that some people even go far to defend.
    Even moreso with anime subtitling and such.

Also, it's not always down to the company, sometimes it's not wanting to risk any problems with the ratings boards assigning a rating that will essentially make it unsellable, and getting things re-rated is not cheap, even if you ignore the disruption to the schedule it causes. As there have been rare cases of games getting bounced back out of a region and needing changes to get reliably sold.

7. matrich99

matrich99 Member

I understand this but do you think that game would have put it past a teen rating. It is not like clothes can be ripped off. It seems like Crunchyroll only made the decision because they felt it was inappropriate from all the social media answers. Don't get me wrong maybe this is the underlining reason but the evidence doesn't seem that way.(and why wouldn't they say something along those lines, The anime is rated for mature audiences anyway ) Also even though I am not saying the ESRB is 100% consistent but the Lockerroom stuff in Senran Kagura is not even an issue but maybe that is because that is a drop in the bucket with the rest of the game.

8. Ringwraith

Sometimes it depends who you get on the day at the ratings board.
    Also remember it's not just the ESRB.
    I'll admit I don't know the specific context here much, but there's always multiple factors around.