Corpse Party 2: Dead Patient (Pc)

Discussion in 'Corpse Party Series' started by Shizukari, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

I figured we should have a topic to discuss this, since it's a brand new Corpse Party game. I watched the stream enigmapoeia made a few months back, and it looks as good as any other Corpse Party game. The hospital setting makes it as scary as a school!

2. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

I don't think it's quite as scary, actually. It's a bit more "Halloween" scary than it is legitimately unnerving, largely because the game's story is a bit more over-the-top. Corpse Party's story manages to get under your skin largely because it's weirdly believable, whereas Dead Patient's feels a little "sci-fi-y."

Could just be me, though!

Game is awesome either way, but I definitely think it's the least scary chapter of Corpse Party I've played to date.

-Tom

3. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

How's the story, Tom? The stream was entirely japanese, and I didn't get a lick of the story.

4. Wyrdwad

Well, like I said, it's a bit over-the-top, but it's definitely just as well-written as the original Corpse Party's, with some interesting twists and lots of questions to explore in future chapters. Very, very curious to see where it goes after this, as the chapter ending really took me by surprise.

My only complaint so far is that the characters don't seem anywhere near as well-developed -- I think because chapters 1, 2 and 3 of the original game each focused squarely on two main characters each, whereas chapter 1 of Dead Patient focuses on like, five, so there just isn't as much time to get a feel for who they are.

-Tom

5. VongolaGearX

VongolaGearX Member

i wonder if there aiming to release 1 chapter a year

6. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

At that snail's pace, it'll take years.

7. shymel

shymel New Member

8. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

9. Ryos

Ryos Active Member

Unity is compatible with a lot of platforms. I'd think it likely they'd want to capitalize on the existing player base between the PSN and Vita platforms and go with a Vita port eventually.

10. shymel

shymel New Member

Yeah, I think a Vita port is likely as well. If this gets a Vita port, then the whole franchise would be on one platform (minus the fan games of course).

11. animeftw999

animeftw999 New Member

i wish there was an english patch for this game or something

12. shymel

shymel New Member

13. Aethix

Aethix New Member

^The fact that Grindhouse is switching to the Unity engine might take care of the problem that was making it impossible for MoF to translate the game, too.

14. animeftw999

animeftw999 New Member

anyone know why the translation was stalled?

15. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

XSEED is bringing the game? ;)

16. Aethix

Aethix New Member

If I recall correctly, I believe they said it was something about memory issues. Probably has something to do with the fact that English text tends to take up more space in computer memory than Japanese text.

17. SavannahBlossom

SavannahBlossom New Member

Actually, it's the inverse. Japanese character sets take more space in computer memory than the Western Latin Character set. This is why in the NES days we usually saw games with only Hiragana or Katakana sets, there wasn't memory to include both Hiragana and Katakana, much less common use Kanji. I think I know what you're going for, though. It is true due to localization efforts that at times you'll need to expand lines that were shorter in Japanese into longer English lines, and I believe that's what you're getting at. There was likely issues in trying to force the game to read text lines that were longer than the original Japanese lines and the program isn't liking it. Fixing this issue will likely involve extensively hacking the program in order to force it to read lines that were longer than was originally intended.

18. Wyrdwad

In a PC game, that's usually not too much of an issue -- you generally only have to worry about whether or not the text will physically fit on the screen, which can often be overcome through sheer font manipulation.

And even in rare cases where you do have to limit the English to the same memory constraints as the Japanese due to some sort of weird coding, you still typically have twice as many characters available per line due to the fact that Germanic letters only take up one byte of memory each, whereas Japanese characters take up two.

I'd think the programming itself is more the issue, since I believe a non-standard programming language was used to create the game. Once it's been converted to Unity, that should open up a lot more doors for fan-translations, ports to consoles and handhelds, etc. Could really be a huge boon to the game.

-Tom

19. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

What's going on with the second chapter? I feel like Team Grindhouse is too busy with Blood Drive.

20. Tsuko85

Tsuko85 New Member

I just hope Corpse Party 2 gets a VITA version and Corpse Party 1 part 3 is completed and released as quickly as possible