Corpse Part Pc Is Getting Released In 2014 By Xseed!

Discussion in 'Corpse Party Series' started by Shizukari, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

It wasn't made for Windows 98 -- it was made for the PC-98. Which is a very old computer system that's not directly compatible with Windows at all.

More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC-98

It was ported to RPG Maker 2000 (I think?) under the name "Corpse Party Rebuilt," and that version runs under Windows without any trouble -- but it's also 100% freeware, and already has a readily available English fan-translation. So we really couldn't localize it -- there's no money to be made in something we can only sell for a maximum of $0, and no real reason to localize it when the fan-translation gets the job done so nicely.

-Tom

2. JackkelDragon

JackkelDragon New Member

The original PC-98 game is also entirely free (though the main host seems to no longer have it, so it's only available here now). But as Tom mentioned, it's impossible to run on modern computers without an emulator.

Minor correction: Corpse Party -Rebuilt- was made in RPG Maker XP. Also of note is that the graphics have been "updated"/modified a bit for Rebuilt (most notably adding numerous facial exprssions to each character, as I believe only Yuka had multiple expressions in the original), though I think a comparison of the differences is available somewhere for those who want to see the PC-98 art. (More information and links to English/Japanese/etc. versions here.)

3. Wyrdwad

Thanks for the correction! I have Rebuilt on my computer, but have yet to actually play it, so I wasn't 100% sure what version of RPG Maker it ran under. I assumed 2000 because it looks like a lot of the RPG Maker 2000 games I've played in the past, but that was purely a guess on my part. ;)

-Tom

4. ShikouNagakura

ShikouNagakura New Member

Well thats interesting. Who knew a free game would someday blow up into the series it became today. I personally wanted to play the OG Corpse Party (thanks for the link btw). Too bad the rebuilt doesn't have the original character art work.

The English Corpse Party site seems to have gone down (Error 404). I wanted to get the PDF of the Sachiko charm because I lost it ages ago. Does anybody still have it?

5. Wyrdwad

Wow, you are quick to discover when things are amiss! ;)

We changed the URL, since "corpsepartypsp" is no longer accurate (the game is available on PSP, PC as of next week, and 3DS as of this summer!), so you can now find it at http://www.corpsepartygame.com/

-Tom

6. ShikouNagakura

Actually... I have the link on Steam to thank haha. It links me to this. Im assuming it's unfinished? http://www.corpseparty.com/

7. Wyrdwad

I don't think we own that URL -- somebody else got to it first. So that was probably a typo, honestly. I'll have to correct it on the Steam page once I get into work tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads-up!

-Tom

8. ShikouNagakura

No problem Tom ^_^

9. MrBanballow

MrBanballow New Member

Just realized, I'm off work tomorrow. They must have known I had a Party to attend.

10. Wyrdwad

Corpse Party PC is now live on Steam, GOG, and Humble Store!

-Tom

11. SavannahBlossom

SavannahBlossom New Member

http://steamcommunity.com/app/251270/discussions/0/364039785167519831/

Jackkel Dragon has noted a couple of typos in the PC Corpse Party within the Chapter 5 Credits.

12. Wyrdwad

Damn. How'd I miss that?

To address the comment on that post, I'm not the one who initially translated the credits -- they're graphic text, and I was busy with another project at the time, so one of my coworkers who's never played Corpse Party (a native speaker, which we felt was necessary in order to translate all the voice actors' names) translated all the credits (and the game has, like, 25 credits files!). I then very briefly looked over them before passing them along to another coworker to Photoshop the English.

I definitely should've caught these issues, though, and it's rather embarrassing that I didn't. I've sent the corrections over to my coworker now for re-Photoshopping, and will send the resulting English PNGs to Sara to implement in the game in the next patch (or, if it's too late for that, the NEXT next patch).

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

-Tom

13. MrBanballow

MrBanballow New Member

Bad storms supposed to be rolling through tonight... everybody hoping that the power doesn't go out.
    Secretly, I'm like "Let it. I have a fully charged Surface, and Corpse Party. Strong storm and a power outage can only improve the mood."

14. Akeashar

Akeashar Active Member

I'm enjoying the PC version so far, despite to my embarrassment getting stuck on Chapter 1 for far longer than I should have being an old hand at the PSP version, but one thing I'm wondering is whether the voice acting is meant to be sporadic? I've got a 5 speaker setup and I'm finding that only occasional lines are getting voiced. Occasionally there'll be a burst of all the lines voiced, then a number of unvoiced, and then there'll be another voiced line. Or where one character's line is voiced, the response unvoiced, and then their next line voiced again.

Just curious if that is how its meant to be?

15. Wyrdwad

For the first two, maybe three chapters, yes.

The game was released episodically in Japan from 2008 through 2011 (chapter 5 didn't actually come out until after the PSP game!), so the early chapters are kind of lacking compared to the later ones. Once you get to chapters 4 and 5, virtually every line is voiced, and there's even some binaural mixed in there IIRC. Plus, you get a lot more character portraits, and the art is of a generally higher quality.

It's interesting to watch the game evolve before your very eyes as you play through it.

-Tom

16. Akeashar

Akeashar Active Member

Oh good! Not just me then. One reason I prefer my consoles to PC is not having to deal with my speakers going out of whack.

The art is interesting, and I’ll look forward to seeing how it evolves. I’m running it @ 1920 x 1080, and the full body sprites seem to upscale with it, and look good, but the smaller portraits really are a blurry mess. So many resolution options tho! I think I spent the first couple of minutes pressing right until I got to the mix I wanted. :D

The high point is definitely the music as always. That’s when I know I’m back in the Heavenly Host I know and love.

17. Wyrdwad

Wait'll you get to chapter 5. The music in PC chapter 5 has a number of remixed tracks that differ considerably from their PSP alternatives, and they are all notably better -- especially the added vocal track!

There are also a couple scenes in PC chapter 5 you won't find in the PSP version. Very, very... erm... "pleasant" scenes, as you can probably imagine. ;)

-Tom

18. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

Hey, if somebody has a guro fetish, I'm sure they'll be just that.

19. ShikouNagakura

The Steam community is pretty.... toxic. People are mistaking this for the Original Corpse Party and PSP Party. And constant complaining about the artwork saying it should be a con and lack of CG images. Can we make a drinking game out of it? >_>

I do feel bad for Sara because she has to repeat herself over and over. :(

Regardless, I like it. It was the first Corpse Party game I played (without even knowing it at the time). Thank God for the skip button. Just a heads up for anyone who is gonna get 3DS Party. They added a skip button. I went back to my Japanese 3DS and the skip button is X

20. Wyrdwad

They did, but the 3DS skip button is purely a text-skip, as opposed to the overall fast-forward functionality in the PC version. It's also not as fast in the 3DS version -- it immediately displays all the text in the text box and instantly clears it, all in a brief moment, but the speed at which text boxes appear and disappear, and the speed at which characters move during scripted events, remains unchanged.

As skip buttons go, the PC version absolutely wins, hands down. That's one feature it has to offer that is undeniably superior to all other versions of the game.

(And yes, we did request to have true fast-forward functionality added to the 3DS game as well, but for coding reasons, the developers were unable to do it.)

-Tom