Completed Games / Backloggery Topic!

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by Shizukari, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

Apparently that one's the most boringest, so...

...Probably; let's be honest here. :p

2. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

And then you can end it off with Indigo Prophecy, which I HEAR is the best one, though................ not like that's saying much. X3

3. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

Oh god... David Cage? KEEP IT AWAY!! KEEP IT AWAAAYYYYYY! :eek:

4. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

Are we talking best as in highest quality, or best as in the easiest to riff?

Can never tell in these situations. :p

5. DustyStarr

I THINK the former. X3 I remember it had some cool ideas, before it goes way off the rails.

6. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

@DustyStarr *pokepoke* Did you decide against doing your 'games of the decade' list?

7. DustyStarr

My B homie, I got about half way through it (I was writing one blurb a day) and then my schedule at work changed and I am still trying to adjust, so I sorta forgot. X3 I still intend to finish it.... eventually. X3

Kikki likes this.
  8. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Ah, sorry; take your time, of course. :)

January 11 EDIT: Finished Wandersong. Very cute and sweet at various points, and unique, but just not my thing, in story or in gameplay. So unique though that you kind of have to try it before you can figure out if it's for you, because it's not like anything else that I can think of.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  9. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

First game of the year beaten:

01/14 - Bloodborne (PS4)

Counting this as done despite the fact I'll probably keep playing to platinum it. This is a game I have a LONG (by which I mean, like, year-and-a-half) history of starting and stopping, because the opening dozen hours or so are that infuriatingly difficult. I stuck through it, though, and once I got over the hump, I found a truly mesmerizing experience of a game. The risk/reward gameplay, the chilling atmosphere, the incredible setting and creepy (though hard to parse) story - I loved it all. My main complaints are that the opening is a bit off-putting (I didn't really hit my stride until after the Cathedral Ward section), you have to do a lot of item grinding when you reach a difficult part (which, again, in the beginning is every part), and that the difficulty in the late game is heavily skewed to making bosses stronger, leaving some of the late game regular enemies feeling kinda weak in comparison to their early game counterparts. But that last complaint is very much a nitpick (and might just be because I was kinda overleveled by the time I reached the endgame), and the other two are forgivable for how fun this game turned out by the end. Easily one of the best action games I've played, and the lore and aesthetic is just flat out cool.

10. DustyStarr

I think Cathedral Ward is where almost EVERYONE hits there stride really, so that makes sense. It was the same for me, I SUCKED so HARD at the beginning, dying over and over, but eventually it just clicked.

What ending did you get?

11. AttentionDeficitGuy

I may or may not have looked up how to get the "true" ending and gotten that one.

Though I will say I like Gherman as a final boss better than the Moon Presence. That said, the idea that the player manages to pull off what so many characters in the lore apparently failed to do (ascend to become a Great One) is super cool in a twisted kinda way.

12. DustyStarr

Yeah Gherman is a way better final boss. Moon Presence is a fun enough fight, but Gherman is just so much more climactic and built up. Moon presence has some interesting lore if nothing else, and I always liked that aspect of it. X3 Though in some ways the "bad" ending is better for your characterm if you say no. X3 Did you make a save to get all the endings?

13. AttentionDeficitGuy

... I had no idea there was a way to do that.

14. DustyStarr

So you stop the PS4 from automatically uploading your saves to the cloud for a moment, or make a save on a physical USB device, and have the save right before confronting Gerhmen. You can then do all 3 endings, once where you say no, once where you don't eat the cords, and once where you do. Get all 3 endings in a few minutes.

On the plus side, since most of BB is technically optional, blowing through the game again on NG+ is REALLY fast, that's what I did. X3

15. AttentionDeficitGuy

Aaaaaaand that was fast.

01/14 - Bloodborne (PS4)
    01/19 - Titanfall 2 (PS4)

Granted, it also wasn't that long, but it was probably a good 10 hours, the bulk of which I did in two sittings. Titanfall 2's campaign was an absolute blast. The two gameplay "modes" of wall-runny, double-jumpy, stealth-punchy pilot and a big ol' heavy ordinance mech are both fun in their own ways, and the campaign balances between the two perfectly. Lots of cool platforming, lots of cool gunfights, lots of cool boss fights, and surprisingly a story I was invested in. Like, it was pretty standard sci-fi military story for the most part (with some mecha flair), but what I wasn't expecting was that the protag's mech, BT-7274, really made the story for me. Worldbuilding was surprisingly good, too. Actually, that's a good sum-up for the whole game - I went in expecting it to be pretty good, but it still managed to surprise me with how good everything actually was, to the point that I couldn't put it down.

16. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

January 2020:

Games purchased ~ 0

Games completed ~ 3
    • Torchlight II (quite fun through being weirdly addictive...gives me a hit of nostalgia for FATE)
    • Wandersong (very cute and very unique, but really not my type of gameplay)
    • Minesweeper Genius (puzzle game that's like a cross between minesweeper and sudoku)
    Currently playing ~ 2
    • 7th Dragon III Code: VFD (like Etrian Odyssey, with a story and without the mapping)
    • Commander Keen: Keen Dreams (I played this nearly 3 decades ago and never finished it. I am NO GOOD at it. Really bad! But the sound effects are so nostalgic, I can play a level a few times just to listen to them.)
    I don't actually expect to finish either of my current games within January (Keen is very short but I have to play the starter level 20+ times just to get through it, and 7th Dragon is actually fairly long.) I'll finish them in February, hopefully along with RF2. I'm not sure if I'll have any games to buy in February, either, so the start of 2020 is a good chance to chip away at the last chunk of backlog.