Completed Games / Backloggery Topic!

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by Shizukari, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Do you have trouble with the seasonal shift, @DustyStarr ? (I do. My brain tries to shut down for winter, like it thinks I'm a bear. I could barely feed myself last winter...I woke up exhausted, I always felt like my brain was filled with cement...it was gross. And it's somewhat started up again, though not as bad yet, maybe because I've been exercising, stretching, and using my daylight lamp, but still, it tends to start around late October and get worse as the daylight gets shorter, it seems.) Or is it centred around your birthday only? If seasonal issues are a part of it...

I don't know if you like to play this genre, but for me, in gaming, life sims that allow you to do things like farming, gardening or building contribute to a sense of...not being dead. I'm not sure how to describe it. Dragon Quest Builders, any Bokumono game, Animal Crossing...maybe even The Sims. The only game of this type I see on your list is Stardew Valley, so probably this is not a genre you prefer. But that's my favourite in winter for sure...they take my mind of winter and let me live somewhere sunny with growing things. Sort of. :) Exploration games with gorgeous scenery probably come after that.

I completed DQB2 months ago but I'm gonna play it again. It's probably going to occupy my December, and I really hope that RF4S will be able to occupy at least some of my January...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  2. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

It is a seasonal thing for me, my birthday is just a small factor but adds to my anxiety some. And the seasonal combined with me going from working mornings to working nights and having a pretty bad sleep schedule has given me very little daylight, which is probably compounding it. An interesting suggestion though, that can work for me. Last year I played a lot of Stardew during the Winter, and it is often when I go back to my town in Animal Crossing. Shame Rune Factory 4 Special is not out yet.

Kikki likes this.
  3. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I played the first episode (Cinderella and Red Riding Hood) of Taisho x Alice on the 28th-29th of November. It was quite good, and knowing that those two are the simplest and most self-contained routes, and that the underlying story starts to entwine and get complicated after this, makes me really want to play the rest. I hope it sells well enough to get Primula to localize the rest. So far all the reviews are really positive, at least, but it's a high price for a Steam game that is, in fact, only 1/4 of a game. (There are 5 other routes in the other episodes.)

That's 23 games in 2019. Not sure if I'll be completing anything else. Yesterday was the last day that any of the games I'm interested in were on sale, so I picked up Caligula: Overdose, and Torchlight II (on a whim, because it reminds me of FATE), but I don't anticipate finishing either of them before the year ends, as I'm focusing on winter-survival games from now until March.

Currently toying idly with Warp Shift, which is a casual puzzle game, so I think I will probably finish it before the end of the year. I'd like to have a nice, round 24, so I'll aim to finish it.

4. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

02/25 - Trails in the Sky FC (PC)
    04/22 - Trails in the Sky SC (PC)
    05/09 - Bioshock Infinite (PC)
    06/09 - Trails of Cold Steel (PS4)
    07/04 - Trails from Zero (PC)
    07/05 - Destiny 2: Forsaken (PS4)
    08/01 - Trails to Azure (PSP)
    08/22 - Trails of Cold Steel II (PS4)
    10/17 - Destiny 2: Shadowkeep (PC)
    11/24 - Trails of Cold Steel III (PS4)
    12/12 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC)

Because I HAD to break my JRPG/FPS streak, didn't I? Though I guess this just turned it into an RPG/FPS streak, but whatevs.

Anyway, I played this on and off over the course of the year, and now towards the end, I've finally finished the main quest of defeating Alduin (along with a boatload of other quests and questlines, notable ones including the College of Winterhold, Miraak/Dragonborn, and Dawnguard). Gotta say, it's easy to see why this game was so popular when it came out, and why it has the staying power it does. It takes the evolution of the series with Oblivion (a game I played way too much of back in highschool) and streamlines it, topping it off with an insanely large world filled to the brim with quests.

I could complain about a lot of things - the writing and voice acting range from simply boring to downright bad (a shame as there's a lot of interesting bits going on with the lore of this world), it seems to have no middle ground when it comes to difficulty (at least with the build I was using - you'll either be laying down the hurt with impunity, or you'll be so frail that you and that quickload button will become the best of friends), and the UI is so clunky that one of the first things I did after my first play session was looking up a mod to make it not suck. But that simple gameplay loop of dungeon delve, get loot, level up, use new loot and skills to dungeon delve some more, combined with a massive world full of surprises, distractions, and the occasional really cool quest, all more than make up for it. I can definitely see myself revisiting this character here and there to try out another questline.

5. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

1. Tales of Vesperia Definitive
    2. Farm Together
    3. Castaway Paradise
    4. Doodle God Evolution
    5. Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel I (Decisive vers)
    6. Junk Planet
    7. Nelke and the Legendary Alchemists
    8. Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II (Relentless vers)
    9. Tales of Hearts R
    10. My Time at Portia
    11. Jake Hunter
    12. Gakuen Club
    13. Dragon Quest Builders 2
    14. Ace Attorney Trilogy
    15. Kitty Love
    16. Gardening Mama 2: Forest Friends
    17. Doodle God: Crime City
    18. Plantera
    19. Concrete Genie
    20. Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
    21. Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III
    22. Pokemon Shield
    23. Taisho x Alice (Episode 1)
    24. Warp Shift

So that's it for 2019. I might replay something (actually I'm replaying DQB2 right now) but there's not going to be any more new completions this year. I'm satisfied with 24 games. I did 36 in 2018, but I'm not sure I can ever repeat that...

Really hoping my first new game of 2020 will be Rune Factory 4 Special. Otherwise my first game of 2020 isn't until March. :confused: Though the Atelier Dusk Trilogy DX comes out on January 14th and they're the only games in the Atelier series that I still want to try as they're more heavily story-oriented (or so I'm told), so if I'm dying for something new and nothing else comes up, maybe I'll grab it.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  6. DustyStarr

A nice list. :3 I'm holding out hope that I can beat another game this year at least. X3 I know I will beat Pokemon soon, just wondeing if I can get anything else done...

Also working on a TOP TEN GAMES OF THE DECADE list which I will post here or in its own topic. X3 Seems like it would be a fun exercise for this forum.

7. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Thanks :) I'd totally go for a GotD thread. I played some great stuff! 2011 was probably the most amazing year of my life, when it comes to game releases (though I didn't play them all IN that year.) Plus I didn't become a console gamer until 2011. Though I'd been gaming on PC since 1986. Even back then, I never wanted anything to do with games that weren't story-driven. :)

EDIT: Actually, here. I'm already done with this year, game-wise, so Warp Shift was my last new game of the decade. So I can now go ahead and put up the list of games that had the biggest impact on me in the, er...tennies. (What do we even call this decade from 2010 through 2019?)
    1. Ocarina of Time 3D (2011)
    2. Twilight Princess (2006, but I played in 2011-2012, iirc)
    3. Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice (2008 originally, but for 3DS in 2017...I first played this around 2014)
    4. Harvest Moon: A New Beginning (2012)
    5. Xenoblade Chronicles (the first one, on 3DS, so 2015)
    6. Xenoblade Chronicles X (2015)
    7. Tales of Xillia (2013)
    8. Hakuoki: Memories of the Shinsengumi (2013)
    9. Nameless: The One Thing You Must Recall (2013)
    10. Rune Factory 4 (2013)
    11. Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (series) (2015)
    12. Breath of the Wild (2017)
    I'm not one to rate games based on how technically excellent they are, and the stuff I like best is often kinda niche, so I doubt many others would consider my picks the 'best' of anything. But those are the games that had a huge impact on me this decade. Reasons below, behind a cut because it's likely to get long...

I start with Ocarina of Time because even though I only liked it, and am not particularly into the idea of ever replaying it, it was my gateway game. It was the game that made me think, I really want to play more games like this!

Twilight Princess defined 'hero' for me. Basically, if dictionaries really DID have pictures of something to illustrate a definition, I feel that 'hero' would have a picture of Link. I hear 'hero' and I see green and a stocking cap. I loved the world, the story, and the graphics. I liked OoT, but I loved TP. It may have been my first experience of feeling like I was IN a game world, not merely watching it from outside.

Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice (AA4) wasn't my first AA game. I was introduced to Phoenix Wright in a 3DS demo of Dual Destinies in 2015. But once I tried that, I was hooked, and quickly got the entire series, which had all been on DS before...and AA4 really took my brain over for a while, there. The characters, the intrigue, the connecting plots...the characters. AA: AJ gave me what may be my #1 fandom pairing of all time. (Klavier x Ema. A joy to write because they are effortlessly hilarious.) I replay this game often.

Harvest Moon: A New Beginning. It hasn't aged great, because Bokumono games always improve their mechanics with every new game, so it feels 'rough' when compared to Story of Seasons or Trio of Towns. But it remains my favourite even so. This was the first game (besides Animal Crossing: Wild World) that let me build my own world, and I loved it. I consider myself fortunate that I was introduced to the series with ANB, which gives you the MOST control over your world by letting you build and arrange the whole town. (A lot of people hate that and name it as one of the reasons why they didn't like ANB, but I love it.)

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D. I wasn't far enough into gaming to have played the game where it originated, on Wii, but when awareness of it finally did catch my attention as it crossed onto 3DS (XC is essentially the reason why I bought an N3DS.) This story ate me up. The 450+ sidequests! The awesome antagonists! The huge beautiful world with gorgeous music! The plot twists! I was in heaven. This is the ONLY game that made me start a second play-through immediately upon finishing it the first time. I just never wanted to stop playing that game.

Xenoblade Chronicles X. This game still makes my eyes roll back in my head a little. I have never encountered a more beautiful, unique world. This is the ultimate in exploration, for me. It's not just the beautiful world, or the cool soundtrack for that extra ambience. It's all the things you had to DO. You basically had to make that world YOURS. The human race was driven from Earth and had to comb the galaxy for another home, and only landed on Mira due to the baffling persecution of some alien race. You then have to get yourself naturalized, learn the flora and fauna, and find good spots to plant probes, to extend your network on that world and send information back to your base, to further humanity's ability to survive. So many quests, so many species to meet and try to get along with, plots to unravel. XCX marks the first and only time I ever fell in love with my own avatar character. That probably shouldn't even be a thing, but in XCX, you aren't playing a person, imo. You are humanity itself. Your actions lead the way to uncovering why humanity was nearly wiped out, and how to survive, and how alien races will receive humans. I just...love this game so much. I am even going to buy a second Wii U for this game, because it's such a wonky machine that my original has failed and had to be repaired once already so I want a second one, dedicated solely to XCX, to have on hand, just in case. XCX will be the ONLY thing on that one. I want to be able to play it forever.

Tales of Xillia was my first Tales game. (I have a theory that the FIRST Tales game you play will almost always be your favourite, because they reuse the same tropes SO MUCH that each game you play becomes more and more predictable. I'm very much hoping Arise will be a little less so.) It's hard to describe what's so great about Tales, because no single thing stands out beyond other series. The characters are really good, the story is good, the interactions are good, the world is pretty, and the music is decent. The endings are often quite dramatic. But it doesn't stand above any other series in any single area, imo. And yet, this remains one of my top five all-time favourite games. I also really enjoyed the sequel and felt it was nearly as good, which is a rare thing.

Hakuoki (on 3DS) was my first otome game. I think. The art was gorgeous, the story long and complex, and I got to choose my own path. I LOVE being able to customize my experience. In a way this fits with my love of life sims, because you're not stuck with only course. It was kind of tragic, but also really cool for being based (loosely, though the history was largely correct, even if the details were very much fantasy) on real life.

Nameless: The one thing you must recall was probably my first experience with goosebump-raising 4th-wall-breaking in a game. This game made you feel a bit like you needed to become a psychologist, or something, to manoeuvre the minefields around these now-human boys who were once dolls...several of them used, discarded dolls, at that.

Rune Factory 4 I think this was the first game I ever played so manically that I ended up staying up really late (I'm an early-bird) and even dreaming about it when I finally did go to sleep. The NPC detail in this is wonderful. I still get caught by how great it is to be running after someone to give them their favourite pudding as a gift, only to have the other people shout out hellos and other greetings to you as you pass, and even commenting 'That looks yummy!' as you stream by. It also has the most fantastic variety of things to do, which gives it an edge over standard Bokumono games. Wanna farm? Go ahead! We'll even give you some magical crops right alongside your turnips, and you can explore around and eventually find magical lands with fields that stay in their single season forever. Tired of farming? Go exploring instead. Conquer dungeons and boss monsters. While you're at it you can tame some monsters and raise them up to be great companions who can do some of your fighting for you. Most of it, even, if you choose the right ones. You can fight with many different weapon styles that change how you have to fight. You can constantly improve your weapons and gear, because you make them all yourself and can even enhance existing ones by adding different ingredients when reforging them. So between farming, exploring, fighting, crafting, monster collecting/taming, and unravelling the story, there's always something fun to do, to the point where you can't get bored with any of it.

Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel Not sure what to say, here. Such a HUGE story, it's hard to know where to start. I bought this game on a whim because Amazon kept suggesting it to me based on my purchase and browsing history. So glad I did! This series hits all the spots that most other story-driven games miss, in that it's the romance of friendship, rather than straight romance. Friendship stories always hit me the hardest. No romantic relationship has ever moved me as much as a really well-done friendship story. Plus I love playing Rean, not just because I love nice-guys, but because Rean felt so...uncertain. Like he needed me to help him through the story, or he'd be lost.

Breath of the Wild This game is a non-gamer killer, imo. It can turn complete non-gamers into gamers. The gameplay is so unique, giving you so many ways to achieve your goal, that anyone can play, no matter how clumsy or unaware of gaming conventions. I can't count the number of times I have said, or heard others say, "I don't think this is the way I was SUPPOSED to do this, but..." Like the shrine with the low-hanging maces. I think you were probably supposed to stasis them, or magnesis them to make them swing...but instead I used magnesis to loop them up around the rafters above so that they hung above Link's head height, then simply walked calmly straight through, even though I was probably supposed to use ninja skills to run and jump and time things smoothly. FUN. Great exploration, too, and so many little details. Loved just finding a new type of mushroom or flower, or a treasure chest in a weird place, or something odd sitting somewhere and feeling it was mysterious, then finding that it was indeed connected to something, somewhere in the story. This also made climbing and flying something to sigh over, when other games don't have it.

AttentionDeficitGuy likes this.
  8. AttentionDeficitGuy

Well, since Kikki got the ball rolling, here's my list! (all years are the original release year, with a single exception; spoiler tags used to hide walls of text, not actual spoilers)

10. Bravely Default (2012)
    Like Kikki, I'm normally a "story first" type of gamer, so the fact that Bravely Default made the list while things like Persona 5 didn't is a testament to how amazing its gameplay is. This is old-school JRPG gameplay at its finest, with new layers of build customization constantly added many hours into the game, and a turn-manipulation battle system where not taking as many turns as your opponent can still be beneficial. The story is merely decent, but the real draw to Bravely Default is the strategy of making builds and putting them into action.

9. Majora's Mask 3D (2015)
    I played this game briefly when it was on the N64, but it wasn't until the 3DS remake that I finished it (and indeed at 100%). It easily holds up as one of my favorite Zeldas, if not my number one - the masks, whether nifty like the stone mask, or game-changing like the transformation masks, are an amazing spin on Zelda items, the dark carnival sort of atmosphere is unique and enthralling, and it actually has a timer system that ends up feeling like the player has more control over the game, rather than less. It is, in a word, unforgettable.

8. Shovel Knight (2014)

The fact that a new campaign just released that I got to download for free aside, this is just an incredibly fun game. Probably the most story-light game on this list, its lack of story doesn't translate into a lack of character or charm - Shovel Knight or Plague Knight or all the rest of them won't be on anyone's lists of most compelling or relatable characters, to be sure, but their designs, animations, and dialogue work together to create a cast that is fun to watch, if nothing else.

As for the gameplay, you know you have something good when a nostalgia-bait game hits the sweet spot for someone who isn't nostalgic for the games it's made to reference. Sure, I have nostalgia for Super Mario World and DKC2, but Shovel Knight is more designed to emulate the likes of the pre-SotN Castlevania games (none of which I ever played) or Megaman (the only games of which I ever played I ragequit). It hits all of the wonderful paradoxes of a good 2D platformer - methodical but quick, precise but fair, varied but consistent.

7. Dust: An Elysian Tail (2012)
    Okay, so I haven't played this game in a good while, so it may not be nearly as good as I'm remembering it. Nonetheless, I'm loathe to leave it off the list precisely because I remember it so very fondly. A simple 2D brawler/platformer/kinda-metroidvania-I-guess indie game, with production values almost unheard of at the time, with hand-drawn sprites and backgrounds and fully voiced dialogue. The gameplay, while I remember enjoying, is honestly kinda forgettable, but the rest of the game is anything but. Dust and Fidget's journey was a delight the whole way through, made so especially by the cast of colorful characters met along the way, voiced by a cast of people who were, at the time, largely amateurs or unknowns, but no less skilled or talented for all of that (and most or all of whom have since gone on to bigger projects).

My thoughts on this game may be largely colored by where I was when I first played it, during the beginnings of my fascination with stuff like voice acting and independent production projects, but hell, that's probably reason enough to put it on the list.

6. Destiny (2014)

Basically putting the original game here as a stand-in for the entire franchise. Over the past five years, Destiny has taken the spot from Pokemon as my most-played video game series ever (hell, at this point, another series on this list may have stolen Pokemon's #2 spot as well, but we'll get to that), and for good reason. At its most basic level, Destiny is the best FPS I've ever played. Simple things like moving from point A to point B, jumping, firing your gun, aiming down sights, the sounds things make, the animations they do - Bungie nailed all of these super basic things down to a perfect science. After that, the rest just makes it even better. The world, the art design, the different kinds of weapons, the special abilities of the games' three classes and various subclasses - it's all supported by that perfectly crafted base.

Beyond the gameplay and presentation, I just love the setting of Destiny. I've always been a sucker for fantasy mixed with sci-fi, and vice versa, and Destiny balances that perfectly, giving us a world filled with dark gods, AI so intelligent as to be alien and cruel, time-looping robot hiveminds, and wielders of the magics of growth and entropy. I'm kinda down on the franchise at the immediate moment, given it's currently contributing to the state of over-monetization that has the whole AAA gaming industry in its thrall, but for all of that, there was no way I could leave it off the list, or even put it lower than number six. Destiny is easily one of the game series that will define this decade for me.

5. Undertale (2015)
    Do I really need to say anything about this one? It was a huge hit when it came out, and even in these days of come-and-go internet trends, it still has a sizable and (in same ways unfortunately) vocal fanbase. It's got charming, well-developed characters, a multifaceted story that you can dig into and really look at from multiple angles, an anarchic sense of humor, and plenty of heart. It parodies and deconstructs game mechanics we've largely taken for granted, even while using said mechanics in clever and at times unique ways. It has one of the catchiest soundtracks of the decade. It was all created by a single, quite possibly insane dude. Even if it hadn't turned out to be so influential, to the point that metahumor indie games have become something of a cliche in the latter half of the decade, it would still be one of the funniest, most heartwarming, most thought-provoking, and most memorable games of recent years.

4. Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth (2016)
    As with Destiny, this is actually a stand-in for both games. Mask of Deception provided the perfect setup, which was followed by Mask of Truth's perfect delivery. It's hard to talk about what made Mask of Truth so good without spoiling the end of Mask of Deception, but to make a long story short, it created an incredible character drama and developed protagonist Haku into one of the great tragic heroes, in my eye. The games (especially Mask of Truth) are exceptionally well written, well acted, and phenomenally scored. The gameplay itself (of which there is honestly little - the games are visual novels first and foremost) doesn't even matter, but even so, the final boss of Mask of Truth is one of my favorite ever examples of narrative gameplay.

3. Ys: The Oath in Felghana (2005, but Steam release in 2012, dammit!)

Okay, so as I was making this list, my original intent was to only include games whose original release was after January 1st, 2010, regardless of things like localization or when I first played them. But I just had to make an exception for The Oath in Felghana. Even if the original English release had been in 2009 or earlier (it was 2010, btw), I would have put it on the list. This was the game that not only got me into the Ys series, one of my favorite video game series of all time, but it would eventually be the gateway leading me to the Trails series, which is my number one favorite.

So yeah, even setting aside things like how frantic and challenging but rewarding the simple but compelling hack-and-slash gameplay is, or how well-written and likeable the characters are, or how endearing and pleasing the artstyle (both the sprites of the gameplay and the character portraits of the dialogue bits) is, or how absolutely rocking the soundtrack is - even setting aside how incredibly GOOD The Oath in Felghana is, the fact is that it was the game which set the tone for my gaming this decade. Hell, I probably wouldn't even be on these forums without it.

2. Nier: Automata (2017)

So I honestly don't even know what to say about this one. Nier: Automata affected me on an emotional level that I don't really know how to express. I can talk about some of the parts that make up the whole - the fast-paced gameplay, Keiichi Okabe's beautiful score, the game's almost meditative exploration of themes of emotion vs intellect, of isolation vs community, of language vs communication. But anything I say will fall woefully short of explaining why and how this game affected me so deeply. I literally studied and got my bachelor's degree in storytelling, and I can't explain the effect Nier: Automata had on me. Suffice to say, it was a beautiful experience that truly transcended the sum of its parts.

1. Ao no Kiseki (2011)
    Once again, Ao is a stand in for the entire Trails series here. And what a stand in - it's my favorite game in the series partially because of how well it exemplifies everything about the games I love. A well developed cast of characters with fantastic chemistry who genuinely care for each other. A grand but easy-to-follow plot filled with twists and turns. A believable setting grounded in both science and magic. A perfect soundtrack that hits every beat the game needs to hit. It has drama, it has comedy, it has moments both heartwarming and tearjerking, characters both lovable and despicable. It's one of the longer Trails games, but these games never feel long to me, because I'm always so invested in every moment (yes, Trails is the other series that might have beaten out Pokemon for my most-played video game series by hours played).

The gameplay of Ao is probably Trails at its best, and I don't want to shortchange that either - the turn-to-turn strategy, the introduction of the Master Quartz system allowing more diversity in specialized character builds, trying to manipulate turn order with delay and S-Break strategies, the Burst and Master Arts mechanics that Falcom has (unfortunately) never properly revisited - but the gameplay could have been Final Fantasy 1 and this series would have found its way onto the list. It's no exaggeration to say that the Trails series has practically ruined the entire JRPG genre for me by giving me too high expectations, and among these that I consider among the best gaming has to offer, Ao no Kiseki manages to stand out for me.

Kikki likes this.
  9. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Oh, I should say that mine weren't listed in any particular order. And I decided to go with anything I played for the first time in the last decade, rather than what was released then; it's my decade in gaming, rather than the world's decade in it :) (Though only two of them were actually released prior to 2010, even so. I can't really play older games. Once I get used to smoother mechanics or better looks in newer games, old ones just look like trash to me and then I can't play them unless I already had some nostalgia installed for the game in question.)

I bet you're interested in Bravely Default II, then, @AttentionDeficitGuy :) (Though you can't have much of an attention deficit if you actually read my posts, lol.) I played An Elysian Tail and found I actually liked it, despite disliking platformers, though not so much for the story (which I have forgotten...I'll have to look it up to refresh my memory) as the whippy, jumpy, whirlwind-style combat, where you can suck things up in your wake and nearly fly from using wind power while jumping.

I tried Majora's Mask and wanted to enjoy it, but found the time loop incredibly frustrating. I haaaaaate being on a timer. Stresses me out. I don't play any games that operate on a timer, any more. I may still go back and try it again on 3DS but...not sure. I doubt my tolerance for timers has increased. The only reason I'm still tempted is because it's a LoZ game, and a lot of people list it as their favourite. It's probably a great game and my inability to deal with being on a timer is the only thing holding me back from trying again. I never got much past the beginning because I was so frustrated when time ran out the first time.

Your list is super different from mine. Hopefully lots of others chime in; it'd be interesting to see how broad a range everyone's last decade in gaming has covered :)

10. AttentionDeficitGuy

02/25 - Trails in the Sky FC (PC)
    04/22 - Trails in the Sky SC (PC)
    05/09 - Bioshock Infinite (PC)
    06/09 - Trails of Cold Steel (PS4)
    07/04 - Trails from Zero (PC)
    07/05 - Destiny 2: Forsaken (PS4)
    08/01 - Trails to Azure (PSP)
    08/22 - Trails of Cold Steel II (PS4)
    10/17 - Destiny 2: Shadowkeep (PC)
    11/24 - Trails of Cold Steel III (PS4)
    12/12 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC)
    12/24 - Shovel Knight: King of Cards (3DS)

And for my last game of the year (and indeed, the decade), comes the last installment of a 6 year journey. Gotta say... what a hell of a swan song for Shovel Knight. Both Yacht Club Games' humour and their gameplay were in top form this installment. I think this was the longest of the game's campaigns as well, which is good, because at every step I was thinking I didn't want it to end. I even got the hang of the card game, which if you saw my post in What are You Currently Playing was giving me trouble earlier.

It was kind of a dark note to leave things on, though. Like, even knowing it had to be a little dark, as a Shovel Knight prequel starring one of the Order of No Quarter, it ended up feeling really dark, and was a massive mood whiplash after the silly antics of the preceeding story. But it was also all very in-character for King Knight. Still though... damn.

Anyway, that's 12 games this year! considering over half of them were miles long JRPGs, that's kinda impressive. as for what I'll be playing until the year ends... I think I'll just play more Shovel Knight!

11. DustyStarr

Beaten Games of 2019
    02/08 - Resident Evil 2 (Leon A) (PS4)
    03/19 - Fishing Star: World Tour (Switch)
    04/01 - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4)
    04/10 - Bloodborne (PS4)
    05/10 - Bird Game + (Switch)
    05/19 - Castlevania (Switch)
    05/20 - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (Switch)
    06/03 - Gato Roboto (Switch)
    06/07 - Plants vs Zombies (Steam)
    06/17 - Castlevania: The Adventure (Switch)
    06/21 - Banjo-Kazooie (N64)
    06/29 - The Simpsons Arcade Game (Arcade)
    07/01 - Super Mario Maker 2 (Switch)
    07/17 - Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (Dream Collection) (Wii)
    07/22 - Donkey Kong 3 (NES App) (Switch)
    07/26 - Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled (Switch)
    08/05 - Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Golden Deer) (Switch)
    08/15 - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)
    08/16 - Katamari Damacy REROLL (Switch)
    09/01 - Mega Man 3 (Legacy Collection) (Switch)
    09/03 - Star Fox 64 3D (Easy Route) (3DS)
    09/21 - Stardew Valley (Switch)
    09/22 - Untitled Goose Game (Switch)
    09/26 - Portal 2 (PS3)
    09/30 - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch)
    10/01 - Silent Hill (PS1)
    10/02 - Silent Hill 2 (PS2)
    10/05 - Untitled Goose Game (Again) (Switch)
    10/19 - Team Fortress 2 - Scream Fortress 2019 (Steam)
    11/30 - Cookie Clicker (Browser)
    12/26 - Pokemon Sword (Switch)

Well, this took me far longer than it should have. I beat the game at exactly 39 hours, since I did a LOT of faffing in the Wild Area looking for Pokemon. I think I ended with about 260 Pokemon caught, not as much as I had wanted but I realized that all of my catching Pokemon had taken my team to levels near and a little over the champion's levels (or what I assumed they would be), so this morning I finally set out on doing the last bits of the game before reaching the credits. It seemed like all of the story was hiding in the last few hours, and I appreciated it, but it was a bit too little too late.

But overall, what do I think of Pokemon Sword? I had a lot of fun with it and I think it is a nice game... but it is clearly rushed and that leads it to feeling empty, unpolished, and just kind of lazy in some areas. Some things are very polished, like camping, and there are a lot of quality of life improvements, and there are hints of great ideas like with the wild area, but those just sort of make the other lesser parts of the game stand out even more. I'm not that picky with my Pokemon games, but even I was rolling my eyes at how chained to your hip Hop was, especially with Bede and Marnie vanishing for the middle of the entire game. I did not find the game a complete snore-fest, because I frequently used new Pokemon so I was often under-leveled before the end, but the game sort of did the same lame thing that Sun and Moon did, where most trainers only have 1-2 Pokemon... I can barely remember more than a handful of trainers that had three Pokemon, and this problem extended to the gyms as well. There is only a SINGLE trainer with six Pokemon in the entire main game, the final fight, and that is just sad. Compounded with the routes all being incredibly tiny and linear... it just felt like so much less than even Sun and Moon and X and Y.

There are nice ideas here but there is just so little meat on this game's bones. I managed to make fun for myself and have a good time, and I am happy I did, but not everyone will, and that should not be required. These are the MOST content lite Pokemon games we have ever seen as far as I can tell, and for games that cost %50 more than the previous entries, I am not entirely happy with that.

At the same time, I have no desire for impotent nerd rage. I am displeased by some aspects, but overall I had a good time with the game. I like the characters, I like the world, I love the new Pokemon and the music, I just wish there was more too it. I am still going to go through the post game, and I think I am going to try to complete the Pokedex entirely this time, since I enjoy doing it while just chilling, but I really hope that they take the foundation they have here and build upon it to bring us new, better games through the Switch lifespan.

For those curious, my final team was

Hilde the Cinderace
    Cocoa the Boltund
    Marigold the Riombee
    Fishing Reso the Barraskewda
    Gale the Maractus
    and Dakota the Hat

12. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

March 2019 - Trails From Zero
    August 2019 - Xenoblade Chronicles 2
    September 2019 - Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna, The Golden Country
    October 2019 - Shenmue HD
    October 2019 - Resident Evil 2 N64
    November 2019 - Shenmue II HD
    December - 2019 - Shenmue III

Well I neglected this for a couple months apparently lol Its... been a long past couple months tbh. Anyway RE2 N64, Shenmue II HD, and Shenmue III (I beat on christmas day actually). RE2 was a fun game that I am glad I finally got to play. Shenmue II HD was mostly a decent port of the original game. But about Shenmue III... I am so torn by it and cant really form a concrete opinion on it, its a perfectly playable game its just... got some strange quirks and feels like its lacking and missing aspects that made the first 2 games. And that end... man, it was cool, although the last fight you kind of feel robbed by, but the collective story progression in no way makes a cohesive experience, the games ends right as it finally gives a big story dump, and it feels like there is a third of the game missing. Also too much of a focus on mini games and side content there was SO MANY useless items and systems that were kind of holding the game back. on the good end of things The areas and visuals are stunning, I got addicted to herb collecting some how, just playing a new Shenmue alone is enough to get you pumped, and a lot of the interactions with old characters was a treat. I liked the game, its not a bad a game but it feels a bit off, its worth it just to see the next part of the story if nothing else.

13. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

Heavy Rain (PS4)

Hoo, boy, this game.

I did not give it a fair shot, as I went in it with a bunch of friends in a Discord call to make fun of things. Then again, I think either way, I would've spent the first, like, 20 minutes of the game starting to open things only to stop. Staring at the carton of orange juice contemplating the meaning of life and the universe; there was another part of that 20 minutes.

But anyway, the game was good for a laugh, if nothing else. Only thing I really cared about was the killer reveal, which, even then, was... yeah.

(I also might be streaming Detroit: Become Human with some friends later today)

14. DustyStarr

JASON!

Ammy175 likes this.
  15. Ammy175

16. DustyStarr

What the heck was happening X3

Also JAY-SON.

17. Ammy175

The kid was Jason, I'm pretty sure.

He's supposed to be going downstairs, as that's where I eventually went, but he's just... standing there.

Which makes no goddamn sense, because you (Ethan) are supposed to be chasing/catching up to him.

18. Ammy175

19. DustyStarr

Holy shit I wasn't expecting that. X3 I turned the volume up since it seemed low... so that caught me so off guard. X3 Fuffing harsh brah.

What do you think of all this DAVID CAGE FUN then? You going to do Beyond: Two Souls as well? X3

20. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Completed Torchlight II as the first game of 2020. As is weirdly common, the second-to-last boss was tougher than the last boss by a notable margin. Why does that seem to happen so often? My equipment and level were the same...

~

Working on Wandersong and Commander Keen - Keen Dreams...the latter purely for nostalgia. Never finished as a kid due to being horrible at platformers (though my little sis played the heck out of it and beat it often) and it's harder than ever, lol. I'm gonna have to save and restore a lot.