Completed Games / Backloggery Topic!

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by Shizukari, Oct 27, 2013.

1. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

Beaten Games of 2019
    02/08 - Resident Evil 2 (Leon A) (PS4)
    03/19 - Fishing Star: World Tour (Switch)
    04/01 - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4)
    04/10 - Bloodborne (PS4)
    05/10 - Bird Game + (Switch)
    05/19 - Castlevania (Switch)
    05/20 - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (Switch)
    06/03 - Gato Roboto (Switch)
    06/07 - Plants vs Zombies (Steam)
    06/17 - Castlevania: The Adventure (Switch)
    06/21 - Banjo-Kazooie (N64)
    06/29 - The Simpsons Arcade Game (Arcade)
    07/01 - Super Mario Maker 2 (Switch)
    07/17 - Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (Dream Collection) (Wii)
    07/22 - Donkey Kong 3 (NES App) (Switch)
    07/26 - Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled (Switch)
    08/05 - Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Golden Deer) (Switch)
    08/15 - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)
    08/16 - Katamari Damacy REROLL (Switch)
    09/01 - Mega Man 3 (Legacy Collection) (Switch)
    09/03 - Star Fox 64 3D (Easy Route) (3DS)
    09/21 - Stardew Valley (Switch)
    09/22 - Untitled Goose Game (Switch)
    09/26 - Portal 2 (PS3)
    09/30 - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch)
    10/01 - Silent Hill (PS1)
    10/02 - Silent Hill 2 (PS2)

Second verse same as the first. X3

2. DustyStarr

Beaten Games of 2019
    04/10 - Bloodborne (PS4)
    09/26 - Portal 2 (PS3)
    10/05 - Untitled Goose Game (Again) (Switch)

Beat it again because some homies asked me to show it off for them. <3

3. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

So wait, there's an end to Untitled Goose Game?

4. DustyStarr

Yeah, it's not a very long game too. After you beat the game you sort of go into a freeplay mode though, to get secret objectives and time trials.

5. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

Ahh, alright. I was thinking the entire thing would just be a freeplay kinda thing, like Goat Simulator.

6. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

Games Beaten 2019

March 2019 - Trails From Zero
    August 2019 - Xenoblade Chronicles 2
    September 2019 - Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna, The Golden Country
    October 2019 - Shenmue HD

Torna was a great little expansion experience to go along with XC2 main, if you didnt get your itch scratched just right with XC2 Torna will likely remedy that, it was much shorter, more manageable, more refined battle system and lots of QOL refinements. The story is just as impactful as the original game and I would say the characters are actually stronger and its more focused without the plethora of characters.

Beat Shenmue 1 again for like the hundred thousandth time. The HD remaster is a pretty version of the game, but the combat and audio takes a hit, some of the hit boxes on character models during battle were removed so the combat isnt as deep as the original game, and makes it a little easier since certain moves dont register on certain parts of the models body, so the hard bosses are nerfed from dealing major damage. It feels a bit clunky compared to the original game and it just wasnt as smooth as I remembered, also input lag may have been an issue as well but its not too bad so its not quite the original experience. One thing I can say is for the most part it stays true to the originals look to a fault and I am totally fine with that, it just looks like the original game in crisp HD which was the high light of this Remaster.

7. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Finished Concrete Genie today. Extremely unique game; I'll probably play it again some time to platinum it. Very pretty, though I think the 'message' of the game is on the hokey side. Has a free-play mode if you just want to be artistic and make the town pretty. Came can probably be completed in an average of about 6 to 12 hours, though I'm sure plenty could finish it faster if pursuing only the main story, or take much longer, if doing a lot of painting and searching out every news article (where all the back-story is) and getting every genie feature page.

EDIT: That makes 20 games complete in 2019.

8. DustyStarr

You play VR or not VR?

9. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Not VR. :) Unfortunately I can't deal with virtual reality games...they make me nauseated.

10. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Nekopara vol. 1
    Detective Pikachu
    Warioware Gold
    My Nintendo Picross - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Pokemon Ultra Sun
    Parascientific Escape: Cruise in the Distant Seas
    Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
    Katamari Reroll
    The Simpsons Arcade Game
    Kemono Friends Picross
    Godzilla
    Crystal Crisis

Felt like playing a more casual game like a puzzle game again. So this is similar to Puzzle Fighter, with a few additions. I still haven't totally grasped the special attack thing (skipped tutorial) but ehhh I still beat it :p It's ok for a quick puzzle battle game, but took a bit for me to get used to the system. Some characters do have worse powers than others, though.

11. DustyStarr

Beaten Games of 2019
    04/10 - Bloodborne (PS4)
    09/26 - Portal 2 (PS3)
    10/19 - Team Fortress 2 - Scream Fortress 2019 (Steam)

Now perhaps I can predict some going "Hang on, that's not a game you can BEAT!" and right you are, mostly. What I did was 100% complete the Scream Fortress 2019 contracts, something I have been working on for the last week, and to me it felt like its own game separate from the main TF2. I put a lot of time into it and had a ton of fun so I wanted to commemorate that here, so when I look back at my list of games I can see that and remember all the FUN. While I do have a heckin backlog I want to get through, my list has always been more for me to try to encourage myself to game more and have a record so I can see what I played that year. Though, a list of BEATEN games is not the best record. I am actually thinking of trying something different next year, but I am still working on it.

Either way, the Halloween Contracts are a fun time, you get to tour every Hallowen map, fight every boss, and get a bunch of Halloween loot while at it. Going through all of the old Halloween modes was super nostalgic, reminding me of back when I first got into the game, and the ones I had not played before were surprisingly good. They also added new levels and items this year, meaning a 12 year old game still added more Halloween content than Overwatch (seriously Overwatch Junkenstein is cool and all but give us something NEW).

It was a nostalgic warm romp through TF2 memories.

12. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

Speaking of spoopy updates to shooters with a tenuous definition of beatablility:

02/25 - Trails in the Sky FC (PC)
    04/22 - Trails in the Sky SC (PC)
    05/09 - Bioshock Infinite (PC)
    06/09 - Trails of Cold Steel (PS4)
    07/04 - Trails from Zero (PC)
    07/05 - Destiny 2: Forsaken/Year 5 (PS4)
    08/01 - Trails to Azure (PSP)
    08/22 - Trails of Cold Steel II (PS4)
    10/17 - Destiny 2: Shadowkeep (PC)

Normally I wait until quite a bit longer before counting a Destiny expansion as "finished," but in this particular case... I think I'm just done with Destiny in general for a little while. It's nothing about Shadowkeep in particular - if anything, I think this expansion has been great. The initial campaign was really cool, the return to the series' most atmospheric location (the moon) was stellar, the new weapons and game modes are a lot of fun, and contrary to what a lot of fans are saying I love the overhaul to the armor system and the build potential it brings. And of course it continues to have some of the best gamefeel, audio design, and visual style of any FPS I've ever played.

What I don't love is the fact that, against standard wisdom, Destiny has somehow come out of the Bungie/Activision split with more cynical over-monetization, not less. The franchise has always been in a grey area where this is concerned, being as it is a pseudo-MMO, blurring the line between box releases and expansions and how much of all this stuff is covering what in a more typical MMO would be subscription costs, but the past few months culminating in Shadowkeep it's gone far beyond the grey, in my opinion. A greater portion of cosmetics that can only be obtained through "microtransactions" (though the "micro" part of that word has become increasingly meaningless in a post-Fortnite world of grossly inflated microtransaction prices) rather than having any way to earn them through gameplay, more microtransaction-only cosmetics that visually and thematically should be earned through new activities (and a few years ago almost certainly would have been), more and more corporate doublespeak from Bungie regarding said microtransations, along with that old terrible chestnut of level boosts not only being sold at all but being very prominently advertised, all layered on top of the expected price tag on the new expansion and (smaller) price tags on the upcoming small updates, have all kinda soured me to the game for the foreseeable future.

So I'm counting Shadowkeep as done, I almost certainly won't be returning for the planned content drops over the next year, and probably not even for the next yearly expansion (though I'll keep plugged in to lore updates and the like because I really like where Shadowkeep is taking the lore side of things and the implications and teases for how that will unfold over this year's content), hence earning it a dubious spot on this list.

13. DustyStarr

I know Destiny 2 is FTP and all and I really want to play it because the gameplay itself looks fun when it is not being all about bullet sponges but this kind of news makes me uncertain about playing the game. I like cosmetics and things (and don't like slow grinding) so I know I am potential easy prey. Hell I spent 25 dollars so far in Scream Fortress 2 just on unboxing hats. Destiny looks so cool but I don't want to be tempted OR support that...

14. AttentionDeficitGuy

I love the game, and all else being equal think it's worth trying out for any FPS fan (like I said, the moment to moment gameplay is REALLY fun and has been consistently so pretty much since the beginning of the franchise), but liking cosmetics and not liking grind sounds like you're exactly the wrong person to play the game in its current state. In some respects. In other respects, the issue is that for most of the cosmetics, a long grind isn't even an option anymore. I don't think it's Fortnite or Warframe bad, but it's been inching that way for a while now, and finally inched close enough for me to get fed up. Not wanting to support those sorts of practices is definitely a factor in my decision to step away for a while (I'm the kind of person who'll usually make a micropayment on a game, like, once or twice ever, so the temptation factor isn't as much a thing for me).

15. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Nekopara vol. 1
    Detective Pikachu
    Warioware Gold
    My Nintendo Picross - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Pokemon Ultra Sun
    Parascientific Escape: Cruise in the Distant Seas
    Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
    Katamari Reroll
    The Simpsons Arcade Game
    Kemono Friends Picross
    Godzilla
    Crystal Crisis
    Feed Mii

Been forever since I beat one of my streetpass games! Imma go till the service shuts down!! There's still a couple games that are VERY reliant on passing other people for powerups. I already did a huge focus on this one like a year ago, completing the menu, so from there it was just needing more people (through passing or coins) to get through. Another one I can finally stick into the vault!

16. AttentionDeficitGuy

02/25 - Trails in the Sky FC (PC)
    04/22 - Trails in the Sky SC (PC)
    05/09 - Bioshock Infinite (PC)
    06/09 - Trails of Cold Steel (PS4)
    07/04 - Trails from Zero (PC)
    07/05 - Destiny 2: Forsaken (PS4)
    08/01 - Trails to Azure (PSP)
    08/22 - Trails of Cold Steel II (PS4)
    10/17 - Destiny 2: Shadowkeep (PC)
    11/24 - Trails of Cold Steel III (PS4)

... Well that was a fucking trip.

Spoiler-free thoughts: yet another excellent Trails game. I can easily see why this is many people's favorite in the series. The core cast is one of the best out of the lot, Teacher!Rean has finally reached the pinnacle where he fights for the crown of best protag on even footing with Estelle (I already liked him almost as much, but now he's inarguably on par with her in terms of development and writing), the soundtrack has some really standout pieces (I was specifically wishing at some point that we'd get a Falcom soundtrack with more keyboard/piano in it, not knowing that CSIII's soundtrack provided exactly that), and it had a twisty turny plot on par with Trails to Azure at times.

It does have some of the same issues that the previous Cold Steel games have - the bonding system and all the luggage it brings is still more a detriment to storytelling and character development than a boon, while the core cast was tightened the wider "main" cast is more bloated than ever, and the gameplay gets really easy really quickly. But as with CS1 and CS2, the stuff the game gets right makes all of that easily forgivable.

And for the question that has plagued this game ever since the English version was announced, NISA's localization quality versus what the series has had with XSEED: it was fine. Maybe "fine" is underselling it a bit - it was mostly very good. My main problems with it are a bunch of nitpicks; the problem comes in when you realize that in a script this massive, the little nitpicks just keep adding up and adding up. Other than one particularly memorable line, though, it was all perfectly serviceable at worst. You know, when people weren't calling a prince "Your Majesty" and an empress "Your Highness" (yes, most of my nitpicks are indeed that petty in nature). And if nothing else, the dub maintained the excellent standard of quality set by CS1 and CS2, whether talking about returning or new cast members.

As for whether this will top Azure as my new favorite in the series... right now, I'm thinking no, but part of that might be because I just finished it and the ending made me SO MAD. It might be one of those where when I distance myself from the final tone and am able to more evenly look back on the game as a whole, I'll end up liking it more than Azure, but only time will tell.

And with that, no matter what other games this year, it won't get any more insane than this: this was the year I beat SEVEN Trails games, including three I'd never played before. It's starting to sink in for me that I probably won't play another Trails game until my inevitable replay of CSIII on Nightmare a month or two before the eventual CSIV release, but that could be a year from now for all I know. It's a weirdly bittersweet feeling - especially given the note CSIII's ending left me on.

17. DustyStarr

What about Trails in the Sky TC?

18. AttentionDeficitGuy

I went back and played through the Sun/Moon/Star doors again earlier this year (between playing SC and CS1, if I recall), but didn't really have much intention of playing the whole thing this year - it was the most recent Trails game I'd played before my Grand Replay Project, and besides that, I honestly didn't find the story outside the doors all that interesting anyway - I consider it the "least good" game in the series, no question. I'll certainly revisit it someday, but probably not for a bit.

19. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Hmm, looks like the last time I wrote my list down, it was at 18. Time to update it, then, as it's at 22 now.

Completed in 2019: 22 games

1. Tales of Vesperia Definitive
    2. Farm Together
    3. Castaway Paradise
    4. Doodle God Evolution
    5. Tales of Cold Steel: Decisive
    6. Junk Planet
    7. Nelke and the Legendary Alchemists
    8. Cold Steel: Relentless
    9. Hearts R
    10. MTaP
    11. Jake Hunter
    12. Gakuen Club
    13. Dragon Quest Builders 2
    14. Ace Attorney Trilogy
    15. Kitty Love
    16. Gardening Mama 2: Forest Friends
    17. Doodle God: Crime City
    18. Plantera
    19. Concrete Genie
    20. Link's Awakening
    21. Cold Steel III
    22. Pokemon Shield

So, my thoughts on the last four games, then...

Concrete Genie
    was really unique, both in art style and in gameplay, and after I finished, I realized I missed a lot of story clippings and so on. Plus on my first play I often just want to charge through the main story, so it'd be nice to play again with the intention of being a bit more artistic and picking up all the rest of the bits.

Link's Awakening is wonderfully cute...and I can't say much more than that. It felt like high-quality game made with love...all the animations were perfect, down to the tiny jolt his whole wee body gave any time he whipped out his shield. Not my type of game overall, though, game-play wise, since it's been greatly revamped yet still feels a bit like a 2D side-scroller and vaguely arcadey, and not heavy in story. Dungeons were fun.

Cold Steel III. I wonder if I'll ever be prepared to talk about it, lol. I'm surprised how much I ended up liking New Class VII, to the point where I got bored when OLD Class VII started to take screen time. As usual, that was one heck of an ending. So much so that at the end, all I could really do was say 'wow' and wait for it to digest. I...hmm. I think I don't like it as much as I liked II, but probably more than I liked I. It definitely needs another play-through before I can be sure of how I feel about it over all. After the end of CS I, I felt desperate to play II. After the end of CS II, I felt worried/concerned, but like things were relatively stable, so waiting wasn't that bad. After the end of CS III...I feel weirdly disconnected. I thought I'd be dying to get at CS IV, but for some reason, I'm not. :confused:

I also feel that they spent way too much time reminding us that Rean has a harem of girls/women to choose from. It was pretty-heavy handed. Sometimes funny, but other times just...blah. Plus I found the bonding scenes in III very unsatisfying, to the point where I can't even remember for sure which ones I already did.

Pokemon Shield has been my first ever Pokemon game! My final assessment is that it gets a 6.5/10 on my personal game-rating scale. I can't rate its quality as a Pokemon game specifically, because I have nothing else to compare it to, but for ME, the major flaws were two. Smooth those two flaws out, and my rating would have jumped up to a 7.5, which is actually quite good since I don't go as far as to 'love' a game very often, and Pokemon really isn't my type of gaming to begin with. (Which is why it has taken me this long to finally play one. I finally gave in and tried Shield because it's the first game that has appealed to me visually.)

I don't care about cut Pokemon. In fact, I'm relieved that there were only half, as it felt like too many as it was, lol, with me being a newbie. But what WAS a problem for me was that all of the story came in one big whack at the end, which left the body of the game feeling empty and uninteresting. I know Pokemon is NOT story-driven, but even so...the way they included the story that was there was awkward and unnatural, for me. Like a big explosion in the face rather than a story. And my other complaint is mostly the animations. I'm already not fond of turn-based battles, but they would have been a LOT more interesting if the character's moves had been fully animated. When doing a move, Scorbunny's body would move up two inches rigidly, then back down with a faint jolt, and a footprint would hit the enemy in the face. Why didn't they actually animate it? Scorbunny running up to the enemy in a blur of speed and his big ol' feet slapping them right in the face?

That felt sort of like cutting corners, like they decided it was too much trouble to be worthwhile or something. I wasn't impressed with the love that seemed to go into Pokemon like I was with Link's Awakening, because it didn't feel like there WAS any in Pokemon. It felt like a game they made in a hurry, or something.

Still, it was really fun for the first half. I'd even call it addictive. I got really bored and felt that playing was a chore for the entire second half, though...it felt like a big grind and nothing else, to me. It got fun again at the end...but fitting every bit of story into the end made it feel like the plot was actually interrupting the flow of the game, and that was a bit irritating, lol. I was having fun with the final showdowns, but plot-out-of-nowhere kept hijacking my game time.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  20. DustyStarr

Beaten Games of 2019
    04/10 - Bloodborne (PS4)
    09/26 - Portal 2 (PS3)
    10/19 - Team Fortress 2 - Scream Fortress 2019 (Steam)
    11/30 - Cookie Clicker (Browser)

For better or worse this game was basically my November, more so than Pokemon even.

November is the time when I tend to slip into a more "down" state, maybe not fully depressed, but definitely out of it. It did not use to be that way, but it has been around the time I became an "adult." I tend to get absorbed into passive repetitive activities and have a harder time committing to games, even though in some ways it is the best time for me to play them (though taking the night shift and taking on extra holiday hours has sort of limited my ability to play a little but it's more of a mental thing).

When I was going through my usual Birthday funk back on the 8th, I am not sure how I remembered that this game existed, but I did, and I decided to try it out... I then spiraled in a several week-long binge (putting well more hours into it than Pokemon Sword, which I have somehow managed to put 30 into despite not even being that far). I think it was a mixture of the game's weird surrealism and humor mixed with the rather easy passive to play gameplay. I could still feel like I am PLAYING A GAME while I was just being unproductive on the internet and that made me feel nice. It was a pleasant little escape.

At the same time, I kind of hate it. It was like... a weird time sink. There were better, more fun games I wanted to be playing, but because it was so easy a lot of times I would just chill out to some youtube and Cookie Clicker. It was just so simple and accessible (and always there, since I use my computer WAY too much) that it became absorbing. There is nothing wrong with the game, it's just about earning points (cookies) to spend on upgrades and things to earn you more cookies to buy more to earn more to buy more to earn more... it goes on like that for a while. It's pretty similar to the Monster Hunter cycle minus, like, everything besides the core loop (though in some ways I would argue that Cookie Clicker does it a bit better since it gets exponentially faster rather than the grind slowing down the more you play, but I have never gotten that far in a Monster Hunter title so that might not be a correct observation).

I like the game, each new accomplishment of hitting X cookies per second, earning achievements, buying a new type of cookie making builder, unfolding the strange I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream grandma subplot, it all filled me with a sense of accomplishment or just fun. I like the game but I dislike that I like it so much. I want to be playing actual games (and this is not a "mobile games are not real games" sorta thing), and outside of that just spend less time vegging out on my laptop before and after work, but this game just synched itself up perfectly to that depressed side of my brain that just wants to lay in bed and eat and be a sad lazy POS. So, I set myself a goal and decided that once I reached it I would consider the game beat... I went past that goal and kept playing for a bit, but I felt comfortable enough to put it down finally. It's fun, but there are so many better things I can play or do, and I don't want to feed that part of my brain any more than I already do.

TL;DR: Dumb sad bitch feels dumb and sad for getting addicted to a game where you click a cookie.