Completed Games / Backloggery Topic!

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by Shizukari, Oct 27, 2013.

1. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

Well... as a Godzilla fan... if I see it really cheap I might try it out. X3 Sometimes those zone out games are ust nice.

2. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

Games Beaten 2019

March 2019 - Trails From Zero
    August 2019 - Xenoblade Chronicles 2

My 2019 list is pathetic, but it will pick up soon... hopefully.

Yes I finally did it, after 220 hours, I finally finished this behemoth. It was grand, the end of the game blows your mind, especially if you are aware of the first Xenoblade. This is just an excellent excellent game that you can dump an eternity into, or not, you can play it how you want to, you can put in all the time or just enough for the main story but you get out what you put in. Its almost a perfect game, and I didnt think there was any way this game was going to top the first but... it may have done just that. I will be starting Torna: The Golden Country asap.

3. DustyStarr

I would not call it pathetic, you played two BIG games.

I am not sure how anyone can think this game tops the first, but to each their own. It was better than I thought it would be in the end though. Flawed, but it was pleasant enough.

Kikki likes this.
  4. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I'm the same. I LIKED XC2, but only liked, not loved. I LOVED the first game, and 'X' as well. For me, XC2's storyline felt very recycled, and I never became interested in any of the main crew of characters. Rex just wasn't an interesting protagonist for me. I also liked the world and soundtrack better in both of the previous games.

Still a beautiful game, though, and even recycled, a Xenoblade story is still really good. And the antagonists were actually great, so I was pretty interested whenever they had screen time. But yeah, overall, XC2 just wasn't in league with either of the other two games as far as my personal preferences go.

5. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

The lore for the series in Xenoblade 2 is game changing. The main characters are hit or miss, the game play made many welcome improvements but the draw back to that is a steep learning curve (Xenoblade 1 also had this, but not to this extent), and I have heard that at launch some people didnt know chain attacks were a thing until the end of the game... oof. My liking of the game may also be due to how closely I have followed this series basically from the beginning with Xenogears. Speaking of Xenogears Xenoblade 2 has MANY parallels and references to gears almost to the point where it is a bit recycled but I mainly enjoyed recalling what the new versions of the old terminology in gears. Also the connection Xenoblade 2 has to the first game, and Saga and beyond is incredible, I would say the events of Xenoblade 2 are the more important bits of the lore so far a lot was explained and there is a lot to piece together to make sense of a lot of it, and I love that aspect of it too and its a staple of the Xeno series.

6. DustyStarr

The lore is not that game changing IMO, hell Nocturne did something similar like 15 years ealier.

And XC2 retreads Xenogears FAR too much IMO. At first it was nice, but... it has so many similarities it feels like they were not even trying to make something fresh. The connections the game may have to Gears or Saga are also not concrete yet, so anything beyond KOS-MOS being a cameo is conjecture. What Xenoblade does with 2's ending will depend on how the series goes forward, but personally I want a direct sequel to X before anything.

2 is like Xeno junk food. Not fresh at all, but enjoyable enough.

7. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I found combat in XC2 the easiest to learn of all the Xenoblade games, lol, even though it was explained the most poorly. During longer boss battles I regularly smacked 6 or even 7 orbs down on the enemy and could even burst them all in a single chain attack, and that's a level of attack I could never have pulled off in the previous games. (I completed the game before any additional difficulty levels were added via DLC, so I played the whole game at the default difficulty, just for reference.) X is the hardest, then the first game, then XC2, for me.

I know about some of the stuff XC2 pulled from Xenogears, and the connections to XC1, of course, but rather than raising my interest, it added to that recycled feeling, which instead made it feel stale, as DustyStarr says. It just didn't grab me like either of the previous two games. That's really what it comes down to. Combat, world, exploration, music, story, characters...for me, XC2 was the least engaging of the lot so far. It never felt like anything surprising happened in the story. It's still good, just not great. I enjoyed it the whole way through, but it never managed to get me excited the way the previous two games did.

Naturally, opinions will differ, but that's mine. (I'm also not someone who is especially interested in a game universe's 'lore'. I find that kind of thing dry and only distantly interesting. I'm the same way with the Trails series. I'm much more interested in the characters and their personal stories.)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  8. DustyStarr

Beaten Games of 2019
    02/08 - Resident Evil 2 (Leon A) (PS4)
    03/19 - Fishing Star: World Tour (Switch)
    04/01 - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4)
    04/10 - Bloodborne (PS4)
    05/10 - Bird Game + (Switch)
    05/19 - Castlevania (Switch)
    05/20 - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (Switch)
    06/03 - Gato Roboto (Switch)
    06/07 - Plants vs Zombies (Steam)
    06/17 - Castlevania: The Adventure (Switch)
    06/21 - Banjo-Kazooie (N64)
    06/29 - The Simpsons Arcade Game (Arcade)
    07/01 - Super Mario Maker 2 (Switch)
    07/17 - Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (Dream Collection) (Wii)
    07/22 - Donkey Kong 3 (NES App) (Switch)
    07/26 - Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled (Switch)
    08/05 - Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Golden Deer) (Switch)
    08/15 - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)
    08/16 - Katamari Damacy REROLL (Switch)
    09/01 - Mega Man 3 (Legacy Collection) (Switch)

I don't have a whole lot to say about this one, I have been meaning to play Mega Man 3 for a pretty long while, and since I got the Legacy Collection super cheap I thought I might as well give it a go. The level design overall does not feel as tight as 2's but it was pretty fun outside of a few instances. Needle Man's stage (more the remix version) was awkward... I had to make liberal use of the rewind feature there. X3 The gameplay feels a little more trial and error than 2, but the rewind feature removes the frustration from it... I honestly wish they kept that feature in all of the collections. I can see why some people dislike this game more, but I like that it tried to be bigger than the previous games, even if the remix stages feel a little padding. Fun enough NES game. X3

That also makes game 20, woo. X3 I am trying to fuss over my backlog less and just like have fun, but I am happy to see my list growing just because I want to be playing more. During my last couple of years of working and college I had trouble fitting gaming time in, so it's nice to be able to actually be able to beat games again. X3 My log's more of a way to see what I hveplayed in the year though less than a record of beaten games... I have thought about trying to make a list of everything I PLAY in the year but it seems like it would be more unweildy. Aw well I'm just rambling. X3 I'm hoping I can get to 30 games this year (including rebeats and such).

9. DustyStarr

Beaten Games of 2019
    02/08 - Resident Evil 2 (Leon A) (PS4)
    03/19 - Fishing Star: World Tour (Switch)
    04/01 - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4)
    04/10 - Bloodborne (PS4)
    05/10 - Bird Game + (Switch)
    05/19 - Castlevania (Switch)
    05/20 - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (Switch)
    06/03 - Gato Roboto (Switch)
    06/07 - Plants vs Zombies (Steam)
    06/17 - Castlevania: The Adventure (Switch)
    06/21 - Banjo-Kazooie (N64)
    06/29 - The Simpsons Arcade Game (Arcade)
    07/01 - Super Mario Maker 2 (Switch)
    07/17 - Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (Dream Collection) (Wii)
    07/22 - Donkey Kong 3 (NES App) (Switch)
    07/26 - Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled (Switch)
    08/05 - Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Golden Deer) (Switch)
    08/15 - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)
    08/16 - Katamari Damacy REROLL (Switch)
    09/01 - Mega Man 3 (Legacy Collection) (Switch)
    09/03 - Star Fox 64 3D (Easy Route) (3DS)

I was watching someone play Star Fox 64 online and it gave me the urge to go back to the game myself, and that worked out well since I just recently got a copy of 3D from a friend. X3 I only did the easy route (minus going into the mid route for Solar and Macbeth), but I never died or lost a wing (which left me always having the hyper lasers... which trivialized a lot of the game's bosses, but it was still fun X3). This is one of the first 3D games I played along with Ocarina of Time, though I specifically remember thinking that Star Fox 64 was the most polished and well made game of ALL TIME. It's a little funny looking back at that now, not that I think the game has dated as bad as some N64 games, but I thought games had reached their peak with Star Fox 64. X3

Still though the game is just as fun going back to it as it was back then. :3 It seems like no version of this game can ever get the controls exactly like the N64 original, since I remember the VC version being slippery and this one feels pretty different as well whether using the gyro or circle pad, but it's close enough. Within minutes I was totally absorbed and even forgot I was playing on the 3DS, I was just so in the moment. Not much to say I just love this game. X3 The music, the combat, the voice acting (even if it is not AS cheesey as the original sadly), the replayability... it's a perfect little game IMO. X3 Short but with plenty to offer when trying to master it. ...makes me sad Star Fox 0 did not work out, but what can you do...

Anyways I will be going through this one again to get the good ending sometime, but for now this was a nice quick treat. :3 If anyone is curious about my stats:

CO: 84
    ME: 97
    FI: 50
    SO: 50
    MA: 91
    BO: 133
    VE: 72
    Total Hits: 577
    No continues (or deaths for that matter)

Huh that was my first 3DS game this year, that's weird, I have really been on th Switch kick this year. X3

10. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Finished everything about Gardening Mama 2 except getting the final vendor all the way up to the top of level 5. It doesn't have a story or an ending anyway, as far as I know, so I suppose there's no real point in doing this one last thing. I doubt anyone here is interested in it anyway, but if you are, don't trust the demo! The demo is fun, because the beginning of the game is full of new stuff and things to unlock and the amount of vendors is well-balanced...but all that gets bent out of shape in later game and it becomes a horrible chore. Total waste of money, for me.

That makes 15 games completed in 2019 so far. I think I can get to 16 or maybe 17 by the end of September.