Completed Games / Backloggery Topic!

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by Shizukari, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

Not going for waifu first; smh/10.

(How was it?)

2. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

If you mean Edlegard, she's a ho.

And....put short

I think the game is fun, and here were a lot of times when I was super engrossed. The Golden Deer cast was also a great collection of supportive and wholesome bois and gurlz. The school stuff in the beginning was not so bad. My issue is the story pacing just went out the window in the second half; the story events were way too sparse and the school killed the pacing. It made sense in the first half, but not at all in the second half. There is so little time given to the story in the second half it just felt underwhelming, the villains in the GD route literally just come out of nowhere in the last two chapters.

But it was still fun, will do the other routes.

3. SilentThisSide199x

SilentThisSide199x Well-Known Member

Edelgard rules.

4. DustyStarr

She's Hitler.

5. SilentThisSide199x

Nah she’s just a revolutionary with common sense

6. SilentThisSide199x

Or I was guessing she just went full French Revolution and doesn’t stop.

7. DustyStarr

Beaten Games of 2019
    02/08 - Resident Evil 2 (Leon A) (PS4)
    03/19 - Fishing Star: World Tour (Switch)
    04/01 - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4)
    04/10 - Bloodborne (PS4)
    05/10 - Bird Game + (Switch)
    05/19 - Castlevania (Switch)
    05/20 - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (Switch)
    06/03 - Gato Roboto (Switch)
    06/07 - Plants vs Zombies (Steam)
    06/17 - Castlevania: The Adventure (Switch)
    06/21 - Banjo-Kazooie (N64)
    06/29 - The Simpsons Arcade Game (Arcade)
    07/01 - Super Mario Maker 2 (Switch)
    07/17 - Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (Dream Collection) (Wii)
    07/22 - Donkey Kong 3 (NES App) (Switch)
    07/26 - Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled (Switch)
    08/05 - Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Golden Deer) (Switch)
    08/15 - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)

8. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

How was the $60 waifu gacha?

9. DustyStarr

This is a CP I typed up elsewhere, sorry if anything is awkward it isvery poorly edited and I wrote it pretty late. X3

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 had big shoes to fill coming after the amazing Xenoblade Chronicles, even if the entry between the two (Xenoblade Chronicles X) was hit or miss. Did Xenoblade Chronicles 2 manage to fill those shoes? No, of course not, 2 years after the release of the original everyone kind of already knows that (as much as I was holding out hope). While it is a little unfair to compare this game to the first, Xenoblade 2 still has issues preventing it from being all that it could and should have been. However, after taking a long break I warmed up to the game on revisiting it. While the game is flawed there are still things to enjoy with it, and overall I would say I had a good time playing the game, mostly.

As for the positives, overall the characters were all pretty charming. The game had a much lighter and more comedic tone than previous entries, which showed in the more silly/zany character interactions. Sure, they were much more in line with anime stereotypes than in previous entries, but the (mostly) great voice acting and chemistry between the characters made for a lot of fun encounters. Really, the characters and their interactions are what help keep the tired and dated story from being a total slog. The cutscene choreography being typical Monolith Soft (high) quality helped bring them to life, and I'll admit I found the visual gags they used here and there amusing at times. Nia and the 5th party member were my standout favorites, Nia especially because her voice actress did such an amazing job (I also just love her accent but that's beside the point). Poor Nia got fucking Melia-ed by Rex in Chapter 7... but she deserves better than Rex anyway.

The world was also nice if a bit fragmented by taking place across 10 or so different titans. I really liked the connected world of the first game, and how you could see most areas from anywhere you were, giving a great sense of scale, but the titans were interesting to explore as well. Nothing groundbreaking, but some areas were just pretty like Uraya or Leftheria while also feeling unique. You see so many samey locations in JRPGs it's nice when areas feel fresh and new. My only complaint is there are few wide-open areas to explore, leading to the game feeling a bit cramped sometimes. However, this seemed to tie into the narrative of the world more or less dying so on that level I can appreciate it.

As for other positives, the music was generally high quality and a definite improvement over X. Really the sound design as a whole was pretty good in this game, minus Rex's voice actor just being unable to perform in certain situations. The game's plot felt, mostly, fairly well balanced, where the story was not too long and not too short (and left plenty of opportunities to do side quests... which I did not always partake in but more on that later). I also enjoyed the story itself, mostly. It would go off on dumb tangents now and again, and nothing in it is original or new, but when I became attached to the characters it was enjoyable enough.

However, there were, of course, many issues, and I think big ones come down to the core gameplay. The battle system seems complicated at first... but it is just absurdly simple. With maybe one or two exceptions, every single battle feels exactly the same. Elements made little or no difference, weapon choice seemed to make little or no difference, blade choice (outside of having DPS, tank, and healers) made little to no difference... every battle was just seeing how many orbs I could put onto the enemy and if need be finishing with a chain attack (or two chains, some bosses depending). It became pretty dull after a while, and the only real challenge was trying to pull off big flashy fusion combos (which became simple pretty fast as well). Taking a break helped me not get too bogged down by this, but the first two Xenoblade games were already fairly simple, so this is almost like baby's first JRPG level.

Still, on the subject of gameplay, Field Skills might be the biggest fuckup with the game. It seems like a WRPG idea, where you can advance in different ways using different skills. The problem is the game has no flexibility, there is only one way to handle any situation. So if you do not have the field skills? Time to spend ages in your clunky menus checking your blades skills. Don't have enough? Time to pop core crystals or stop what you're doing to go do little side activities to level up a Blade's skill (which can sometimes mean having to drop the quest you are on entirely to go do a new one or multiple new ones). It's so pace killing, and it would not be as bad if the menus in the game were not so unintuitive and slow. You have to switch between several submenus to do anything, and there is some lag whenever you enter or exit a menu that makes it even worse...

So much of the game is spent within a menu when it really did not have to be that way. It just feels like wasting time, which the game already does with its slogs of sidequests (each quest having many different steps when the original game generally had single stage quests, many which would be completed automatically on achieving the conditions). Quests in the first game felt organically worked into your gameplay, but not in this game. The affinity charts for blades (where their skills are leveled up) can also feel a bit tedious with some of their conditions (such as kill x many monsters in x continent), but they mostly feel organic and are fairly unintrusive (however completing them for 30+ blades gets a bit much, especially when you need to dig into the menus over and over to check their charts).

Finally, as I already mentioned, the story is... not that great. It is so derivative and relying on old JRPG tropes that it can almost become pretty eye-rolling. Rex himself is part of this; the characters in the game are good, but he is such a bland stock protagonist, and as the focus of the game he can really drag down some scenes. He's just so.... fucking basic. I kind of came around a little on him towards the end since he has nice enough if small arc, but it's so been there done that. He can be fine and the story can be interesting, but at the same time when you feel like you have done and heard all of this before it can be hard to be invested, which does not help when the gameplay issues make the game feel tedious already. This is not even mentioning all of the totally dumb moments and dumb decisions in the story.

Finally, to try to wrap up me ripping on the game, there are the blades. From a story perspective it is... kind of cool (I don't get Japan's obsession with weapons who are people but still), but from a gameplay perspective they really make the game feel unfocused. I just do not see how a game like this needed a gatcha system, where what effective party members you get is based on RNG... I guess it can make for replayability, but towards the end, most people seem to have similar setups anyways. But most of all having to deal with so many blades... just feels so cluttered. You have to keep so many around for field skills and merc mission (Peace Walker style mobile missions where you send characters off to go do something for a set amount of real-time) it just feels impersonal. Coupled with the blade menus being so jumbled, blades feel more like a hindrance to the fun... and how you effectively treat them kind of goes at odds with the narrative. The Rare Blades especially feel... weird. They only have one quest each, they have character, but... they just feel so wasted. I would so rather have a few blades that I get to know over the course of the game and get developed than a digital harem of loosely defined waifus.

Speaking of, I freaking dislike the harem shit in this game (especially focused on a character as young as Rex), and the oversexualized designs make it hard to take the entire blade side of the game seriously, but I don't want to rant about that.

Overall, I liked the game, and I enjoyed my time with it. It has big glaring issues, some of which I felt pretty strongly about, but none of them were enough to completely turn me off from the game. I am not sure if it is something I would recommend to everyone, but it was an enjoyable enough experience... heck I might even go back to it to sidequest more. It's just a nice world to play in.

You know, I thought of something while watching the ending... this game is like JRPG junk food. Monolith Soft themed junk food specifically, with how much it takes from all the previous Xeno games (mostly Gears and Chronicles 1) and even Baten Kaitos a little. It's not challenging, it's not deep, and it's not very fresh... but it reminds me of what I like about those games and my experiences playing them, and that was a little comforting, feeling a bit of how I felt back then after all this time. It's like a long-running series that doesn't change much but you feel kind of happy just knowing it is still there. The game might have issues, but for what it is, Monolith Soft comfort food, I can be happy with it for that.

10. SilentThisSide199x

What kind of accent does Nia have?

11. DustyStarr

Moderately severe Welsh.

SilentThisSide199x likes this.
  12. SilentThisSide199x

Was hoping for Scottish

Pretty good though

13. DustyStarr

One of the party members has a Scottish accent and they are cool.

SilentThisSide199x likes this.
  14. SilentThisSide199x

15. DustyStarr

Beaten Games of 2019
    02/08 - Resident Evil 2 (Leon A) (PS4)
    03/19 - Fishing Star: World Tour (Switch)
    04/01 - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4)
    04/10 - Bloodborne (PS4)
    05/10 - Bird Game + (Switch)
    05/19 - Castlevania (Switch)
    05/20 - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (Switch)
    06/03 - Gato Roboto (Switch)
    06/07 - Plants vs Zombies (Steam)
    06/17 - Castlevania: The Adventure (Switch)
    06/21 - Banjo-Kazooie (N64)
    06/29 - The Simpsons Arcade Game (Arcade)
    07/01 - Super Mario Maker 2 (Switch)
    07/17 - Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (Dream Collection) (Wii)
    07/22 - Donkey Kong 3 (NES App) (Switch)
    07/26 - Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled (Switch)
    08/05 - Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Golden Deer) (Switch)
    08/15 - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)
    08/16 - Katamari Damacy REROLL (Switch)

Not that beating it means much (aside from the ending song), it's the kind of game I just like to come back to to mess around in and try to improve my scores in (especially those Bear and Cow levels, and probably the final one to get a better ending). It's such a peaceful little game... very zen to put on some headphones, listen to the awesome soundtrack, and roll about. It's fun just seeing what weird things you can find in the world. It's just relaxing fun (well usually relaxing, sometimes my drive to get a good score can make me pretty in the zone, but it's not really a game I take too seriously). Only thing better would be if it were the sequel (though I like some of the original tracks better, but there is so muc more variety in the sequel, I hope we get it). The Switch port itself is pretty good overall, though the controls feel perhaps a tiny bit looser, and the lack of English voices was a little disappointing. All in all a perfect game for the Switch though.

16. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

02/25 - Trails in the Sky FC (PC)
    04/22 - Trails in the Sky SC (PC)
    05/09 - Bioshock Infinite (PC)
    06/09 - Trails of Cold Steel (PS4)
    07/04 - Trails from Zero (PC)
    07/05 - Destiny 2: Forsaken (PS4)
    08/01 - Trails to Azure (PSP)
    08/22 - Trails of Cold Steel II (PS4)

And in an apparent attempt at a new Kiseki speed record, this replay took me a mere three weeks!

And damn, dudes, I remember when I first played this game, I considered it one of the best in the series. After revisiting it, I stand by that wholeheartedly. Gameplaywise it's still very much broken (the last few chapters basically just amounted to "Buff Laura + Tank Fie + Delay Rean = Victory), but it was always pretty fun, and everything else around it is some of Falcom's finest. The writing, the music, the setpieces, to say nothing of the XSEED team's translation and the voice cast's amazing performance - all stellar.

Playing it with some extra context this time around helped, as well - not only have I played Crossbell now, but the first time I played it the 3rd wasn't out in English either, and on top of that NG+ means I could see all of the bonding events, just as Adios intended. Also the NG+ questline, which I'm really glad I played the 3rd and Crossbell before doing.

The ending hit me really hard this time around, as well - on my first playthrough, I didn't really see many of Millium's bonding events, but now that I have, when she started crying it just broke me. Who'd have thought the character I once wrote off as the most disposable of the main cast would give me the biggest emotional reaction now. Trails has been doing that to me this year, it seems. *glares tearfully at Renne*

And with that, my journey back through the Trails series thus far has come to an end. Tell you what, it's gonna feel weird not playing any of these games for the next two months until CS3 comes out. Any fears of burning myself out that I might have had when I started out on this frankly insane challenge have proved pretty groundless, in the end. I'm more hyped for CS3 than ever, and I think it will be amazing for my first playthrough of the game to happen while the rest of the series is still relatively fresh in my head (especially CS2 and the Crossbell arc). I just watched the most recent trailer for that as a reward for finishing CS2, and I'm getting chills just thinking about some of the things that might be in store.

Until then... I dunno, Borderlands 2? I kinda have a theme going where I play only Trails games and FPSes this year, might as well keep it going.

17. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Nekopara vol. 1
    Detective Pikachu
    Warioware Gold
    My Nintendo Picross - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Pokemon Ultra Sun
    Parascientific Escape: Cruise in the Distant Seas
    Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
    Katamari Reroll
    The Simpsons Arcade Game
    Kemono Friends Picross

This has been my "relaxing game I play while watching through shows at no volume" game. The Zelda Picross was fun and the idea of combining it with Friends was an insta-purchase! 25 hours later, I completed all of the puzzles. Glad that unlike on Zelda, they don't penalize you if you hit the wrong blocks too many times and add more time to your timer, not allowing you to get the full coloured picture at the end.

Actually close to beating 2 more games, one that I hope to do this weekend!

18. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Nekopara vol. 1
    Detective Pikachu
    Warioware Gold
    My Nintendo Picross - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Pokemon Ultra Sun
    Parascientific Escape: Cruise in the Distant Seas
    Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
    Katamari Reroll
    The Simpsons Arcade Game
    Kemono Friends Picross
    Godzilla

The infamous (and yet, now rare) bad PS4 Godzilla game. I started it the day that King of the Monsters was in theaters, and beat it juuuust before it came out on blu ray >_> Game has a learning curve in the sense that you NEED to know what you're doing, or you'll be like me and need to play it over like, 10 times >_> It's really not to clear and of course I had to rely on guides with how to unlock the rest of the levels... Well, by time I got to my last playthrough today, I cruised through it. Ok well, I DID take advantage of a glitch where Anguirus got stuck between a building so I just attacked him there till he died :/ He was honestly probably the worst thing to fight in the whole game! Anyhow yeah it's not a good game, but can be addictive, once you actually know what you're doing. I even unlocked 100% of the kaiju data, cause I liked reading up their little encyclopedia entries :x

19. DustyStarr

If a bad game is rare is it really worth paying for though? Shame it's not good, the cover looked really cool, and there is a severe lack of good Gozilla games out there...

20. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

I mean, it's not a GOOD game, but when you know what you're doing, it almost becomes addictive to tey and beat and complete it :x Like, it's repetitive and requires some work, yet satisfying at the end, so worth the ride? If that makes sense. Helps if you're a Godzilla fan, of course :p