Completed Games / Backloggery Topic!

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by Shizukari, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

Well of course; there's a pink haired waifu right off the bat.

2. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

I didn't choose Three Houses! ...I played Dr. Mario THEN I chose Three Houses... though even as Fire Emblem is getting better Xeno is calling to me weirdly. X3 More to replay the first than continue 2, but still.

Also I'd punch Hilda right in the ovaries.

3. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

Have you SEEN the Waifu selection in Xenoblade 2? Its unmatched. I'm sorry but Fire Emblem doesnt have anything on Xenoblade 2's Waifus.

4. DustyStarr

Waifus are a blight upon gaming. I liked Xenoblade when it did not have to use waifus to draw people in, and when it just drew people in with a good story and gameplay.

(Except Pharah from Overwatch, she is bae.)

SilentThisSide199x likes this.
  5. AnimeGamer183

it still has all of those things just with addition of waifu's (I keep fluctuating between Pyra, Nia, Brighid, Praxis, Kora, Agate, Azami admittedly, and those are just the characters I have unlocked so far, lets not even get into the KOS-MOS T-Elos and Fiora conversation), its an ADDITION, there is no way the game would have been successful just off the plethora of waifu choices, the solid game play and story are still definitely the main pull... even though that may be hard to believe from me after listing off all of that <_< BUT IT IS I TELL YOU! x3

6. DustyStarr

My homie... I believe not, just look at the state of JRPGs. X3

7. AnimeGamer183

Just because Atelier blew up because of thicc thighs, and other games too... isnt an excuse for those games to slouch in the story and game play departments. I mean look at Trails, and other series, Waifus are def a part of it but even they are nothing with out actual good game play and story backing up that stuff... except for like... Compile Heart and other lower tier devs where fan service comes before story and game play :p

8. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

Speaking of Trails...

02/25 - Trails in the Sky FC (PC)
    04/22 - Trails in the Sky SC (PC)
    05/09 - Bioshock Infinite (PC)
    06/09 - Trails of Cold Steel (PS4)
    07/04 - Trails from Zero (PC)
    07/05 - Destiny 2: Forsaken (PS4)
    08/01 - Trails to Azure (PSP)

It's early to say because I'm still on the post-game high, but I think this is it, guys. I think this is my favorite Trails game. It was just so good all the way through. The second game in any given Trails arc usually has pacing problems, but there were no such problems here. It took advantage of everything Zero set up to be fast paced all the way through, with every chapter providing hard-hitting scenes, fantastic character moments, and awesome boss battles. Basically, it had everything good about the second game in a Trails arc with none of the downsides. Gameplay mechanics that haven't returned in later games (to my knowledge, though they may show up in CS3/4) like Burst Mode and Master Arts do what Trails does best with extra combat mechanics and gives you something really cool that makes you feel cool doing it. Even some of the sidequests are things that are so much badass fun they feel like early-arc main quests rather than late-arc sidequests.

It's not perfect - I still think after having played through the entire Crossbell arc that Lloyd is easily the least interesting and developed of the main Trails protags, and a certain event that kicks off chapter 4 suffers down the road from the Trails series' general reluctance to go super dark - but it's pretty amazing. And it's so cool how the game fulfills plot elements from the Sky trilogy and Zero, all while doing some great setup for CS1/2, and even CS3 it looks like. Taken as an arc, Crossbell definitely doesn't work as a standalone nearly as well as Sky or the first half of the Erebonia arc, both for the way returning elements from Sky are handled and by how it ends, but as part of the overarching story of Trails, it's a fantastic arc. Part of me is actually kinda glad I played these games after CS1/2 - the end in particular seems like a great leadup to CS3, and Ao in particular felt so big that having the extra context provided by CS1/2 actually felt like it might have been far more helpful and interesting than the context Zero/Ao would give to CS2 (though as CS2 is next on my replay list, we'll see if having played through Crossbell will change my perspective on that at all). Oh, also that Ao kinda spoils an element from the endgame of CS1 and a separate one from the endgame of CS2, both of which I experienced as pretty cool twists by playing CS1/2 first.

And going back to the characters, while I found Lloyd pretty meh when compared to the likes of Estelle and Rean, I was thrilled with the way Ao developed the rest of the main cast. I found Randy kinda underwhelming in Zero, but now he might be one of my favorite characters in the series. Rixia came out of Zero looking strong, and Ao does nothing but good things with the character. Noel was great, Wazy was great, KeA continued to be the most precious of cinnamon rolls, the new villains introduced were a lot of fun, Campanella got loads of screentime - it was just win all around! I came out of Zero feeling like I didn't really have a "Rean" or an "Olivier" or an "Estelle" in Crossbell - a character that really grabbed me and made an impact. I've come out of Azure with several.

The only thing Zero did unambiguously better was the music, but I've come to expect that from Trails - I've noticed a weird pattern where, maybe with the exception of one or two tracks, I end up vastly preferring the OST of the first game in the arc over the second. But hey, some Zero tracks made a comeback in Azure (though the superlative Inevitable Struggle only ever shows up as the slightly inferior SAV, so there's that).

And with that, I've only got one game left before I've finished the entirety of the Trails series currently available in English (whether officially or otherwise) in preparation for CS3. Super excited - I was afraid I might get burned out, but really I'm more hyped for CS3 than ever now. And with two and a half months to replay CS2 when I've been doing a game a month lately, I'll probably still end up with a nice buffer between CS2 and CS3.

9. DustyStarr

I like the balance between Trails games and Western shooters in your list this year. X3

AttentionDeficitGuy likes this.
  10. Ammy175

I beat Pokemon Omicron. Again.

That means I've beaten it two more times than any person should.

I see you are a woman with good taste.

/several days late

SilentThisSide199x likes this.
  11. SilentThisSide199x

SilentThisSide199x Well-Known Member

Pharah is great.

12. AttentionDeficitGuy

That might be part of the reason I'm not burned out yet :p Nothing palette cleanses after a JRPG better than a high-octane shooter.

13. Ammy175

You should play Borderlands; FPS and RPG!

But seriously, it's actually pretty fun.

AttentionDeficitGuy likes this.
  14. saldite

saldite Most Incrediblest

borderlands moar liek borederlands lmao

But, no, seriously, the chunk of the first game I played a few years back with a friend of mine was pretty cool. It was the type of game I'd probably have gotten bored of on my own, but I like the coop aspects (probably because it's basically Diablo with guns). If I could get another coop group going, I'd probably give the series another shot.

15. DustyStarr

Borderlands is one of those time sink games I want to get to but there are so many. X3 I want to start FF XIV this year, but after Fire Emblem I also want to go back to Xenoblade 2...

16. AnimeGamer183

Well, that really puts more pressure on my Trails decision, you are pretty darn close to convincing me to play CS 1 and 2 first... but alas I think I will remain stubborn and play Azure anyway. But man that sounds incredible. And I am just over here slowly but surely whittling down Xenoblade 2... 150 hours and the end isnt quite in site yet... then there is the DLC Expansion... im thinking another 150 hours to get through it all. R.I.P. me.

Perhaps I should break and play the Expansion a little later? IDK what im going to do just yet about that tbh, my plan was to just play them both in a row, but there is a ridiculous amount of side content which is a time dump that I just cant resist, ugh.

17. Ammy175

Sign me up, mate. I'd be down for that.

18. SilentThisSide199x

SilentThisSide199x Well-Known Member

I would, as well, ostensibly. I mean, definitely, if you don’t get around to it for some weeks, probably.

19. AttentionDeficitGuy

I actually have a save of Borderlands 2 that I'll probably get back to in between replaying CS2 and waiting for CS3. Especially since SOMEBODY decided to delay the release of the next Destiny expansion! *glares at Bungie offices*

Whatever you decide to do regarding Xenoblade, I'd vote for you continuing on to Azure before picking up CS1/2. The way Azure is, I feel like it's best experienced with Zero still relatively fresh in your head (just because it is so fast-paced), and in any case you'll be spoiled by stuff whether you play CS1/2 first or Azure first. A statement which always confused me when other people mentioned it, but it makes much more sense to me now that I've played both arcs.

20. DustyStarr

Beaten Games of 2019
    02/08 - Resident Evil 2 (Leon A) (PS4)
    03/19 - Fishing Star: World Tour (Switch)
    04/01 - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4)
    04/10 - Bloodborne (PS4)
    05/10 - Bird Game + (Switch)
    05/19 - Castlevania (Switch)
    05/20 - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (Switch)
    06/03 - Gato Roboto (Switch)
    06/07 - Plants vs Zombies (Steam)
    06/17 - Castlevania: The Adventure (Switch)
    06/21 - Banjo-Kazooie (N64)
    06/29 - The Simpsons Arcade Game (Arcade)
    07/01 - Super Mario Maker 2 (Switch)
    07/17 - Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (Dream Collection) (Wii)
    07/22 - Donkey Kong 3 (NES App) (Switch)
    07/26 - Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled (Switch)
    08/05 - Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Golden Deer) (Switch)