Completed Games / Backloggery Topic!

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by Shizukari, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Finished My Time at Portia and Alternate Jake Hunter: DAEDALUS. Now on to...what? Okami, I think, and maybe RF2, if I can get the drive to pick that one back up again.

2. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

+1 for this idea; I love Okami.

Kikki likes this.
  3. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

I love the opening, but I tried playing it a few times several years ago and ended setting it down both times and never got back to it. I wasn't very far in. I'm not sure why it didn't grab me back then, but I figured I could give it another go and see if I get pulled in more, this time. I've got a blank spot in my gaming right now, since my next new game doesn't come out until July 12th.

4. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

Plus two to okami! I love that game SO much! I think it is a perfectly sized game to fit into your blank spot, since it is kinda long, and fairly relaxed in pace. :3

Kikki likes this.
  5. DustyStarr

Beaten Games of 2019
    02/08 - Resident Evil 2 (Leon A) (PS4)
    03/19 - Fishing Star: World Tour (Switch)
    04/01 - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4)
    04/10 - Bloodborne (PS4)
    05/10 - Bird Game + (Switch)
    05/19 - Castlevania (Switch)
    05/20 - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (Switch)
    06/03 - Gato Roboto (Switch)
    06/07 - Plants vs Zombies (Steam)
    06/17 - Castlevania: The Adventure (Switch)
    09/21 - Banjo-Kazooie (N64)

I did not think I would be able to get through the game so fast but I got sucked into it hard, clearing like 3 levels a session. X3

It's weird, this game was such a big part of my childhood, I loved it and rented it often, but I never beat it until now. I only got up to about the sixth level, I could never find the running shoes upgrade for whatever reason which really limited me. But this was still a common rental from BlockBuster, along with the sequel! I could never tell if I liked it more than Marion 64 or not... I think I liked Mario better, but Banjo had a weird vibe to it that sorta appealed to me. It felt like... edgier I guess? Which is a silly way to put it but I was like 8 or 9 when I was playing the game for the first time, and I kind of liked that. At the same time it also felt a little... darker compared to the light-hearted Mario, I guess? While I kinda liked the edge I was a wussy pants and I did not like the "dark grittiness" of it (I am someone who was super afraid of Big Boo's Haunt/Hazy Maze Cave from SM64 and Well from Ocarina of Time). I had a weird relationship with the game.

Either way, I never had much clue what I was doing beyond collecting stuff, but going back it was pretty fun playing the game and uncovering all the many things I missed, getting to areas I never got to in the game, and finally fighting the final battle and seeing the ending. The "final world" (not Click Clock Woods) was also a really fun little challenge (I assume people know but I won't spoil JUST IN CASE). Not that all of the levels I never saw were that great (Rusty Fucket Bay) but it was great finally going through it either way! I miss the days of Gen 5 and sorta gen 6 3D platformers... well, there's always a Hat In Time when it releases on the Switch.... eventually.

Random thoughts and tidbits:
    -Grunty's Lair is by far the most memorable tune for the game from me... I think I heard it so much the melody is not going to leave my head for a while.
    -I feel like Gruntilda shoulda had a bigger reaction whenever you used one of Brentilda's secrets... seems like a missed opportunity.
    -Minus some of the annoying platforming I think Click Clock Woods is up there with my favorite levels... it really highlights the sorta storytelling 3D platformers as this game did with their levels, where levels had these sorta self-contained mini stories.
    -Rusty Bucket Bay was not as bad as I thought it would be, but the level was sorta pretty bland... I feel like they coulda done more with it. The Engine Room was still a sudden difficulty spike and the only point where I died multiple times, outside of the final battle.
    -I legit feel bad for how the game forces you to treat Gobi. :c
    -I have no idea how child me missed the running shoes upgrade when it was like in plain sight...
    -Weird how I poured so many hours into this game and never got far but 100% it in like 12 hours, which is already fairly slow as far as the game is concerned.
    -I saw the option to find the stop n swap items after 100%ing the game but I wonder if it's worth it if I can't use them?
    -Why rando titty melon woman at the end?

6. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Nekopara vol. 1
    Detective Pikachu
    Warioware Gold
    My Nintendo Picross - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Pokemon Ultra Sun
    Parascientific Escape: Cruise in the Distant Seas
    Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
    Katamari Reroll

Finally I beat this... I love Katamari but I still hate the controls. For the life of me I cannot master the rev up spin move :/ Last level took forever for me to beat, just kept getting stuck or wasted too much time exploring, so I actually had to practice it >_> Well, it's over and done with now, so time to move onto the next thing in my backlog shortlist >_>

7. DustyStarr

Beaten Games of 2019
    04/10 - Bloodborne (PS4)
    06/21 - Banjo-Kazooie (N64)
    06/29 - The Simpsons Arcade Game (Arcade)

I have been doing good this June, even if these have been a lot of small games. X3 I mean I am notreally going for BACKLOG COMPLETION so much as like... just actually beating and enjoying games again. X3 I like to fill out my list just so I can look back and see a record of the fun (well mostly fun... Castlevania Adventure) I had that year. Seeing how much I did in June makes me feel pretty good. X3

This game was a childhood classic of mine; we had it at multiple movie theaters so it was one I got to try pretty often. I never got that far in it, the furtherest I ever got was level 3, until tonight, since I was playing it at a freeplay. Actually being able to see the whole game for once was nice, it has such fun sprite-work. X3 It is a fairly standard beat-em-up, but it's charming and simple fun. Becomes a total quarter muncher towards the end though, I went pretty far on one credit... for a while.

8. DustyStarr

Beaten Games of 2019
    04/10 - Bloodborne (PS4)
    07/01 - Super Mario Maker 2 (Switch)

Well, the story mode in the game was not terribly long, but that is to be expected. What was there was pretty charming, more than I thought it would be, and they crafted some fun levels that gave me a ton of ideas, and since this mode is basically a tutorial it makes sense. X3 I have not even touched level making yet since I am waiting for a Stylus to arrive, butt steel, I've really been enjoying just playing some 2D Mario on my Switch. I know this game has some areas that are rough currently or not as good as the first, but I am going to get a ton of time with it I think. X3 ...Just hope they fix the lag with online MP...

9. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

I really need to go through The Simpsons Arcade... Still have it on the PS3 as a PSN+ freebie, and been meaning for a couple months to get through that and Scott Pilgrim >_> Also have the Dungeons and Dragons (by Capcom?) beat em up on Xbox from Gold. Been in a beat em up mood lately (and haven't even bought the Capcom Bundle yet!)

10. DustyStarr

Simpson's is really short, it can easily be done in a single sitting, it took me and my friend less than an hour to beat.

11. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

02/25 - Trails in the Sky FC (PC)
    04/22 - Trails in the Sky SC (PC)
    05/09 - Bioshock Infinite (PC)
    06/09 - Trails of Cold Steel (PS4)
    07/04 - Trails from Zero (PC)

First half of the Crossbell arc: complete! Brief, spoiler-free thoughts: another great Trails game! Initial knee-jerk reaction, I'd probably place it near the bottom of my personal rankings of the series, but some of that might be due to the current fan translation being a bit janky. The battle music is top tier for the series (Get Over the Barrier! and Inevitable Struggle being personal favorites), but the rest of the soundtrack doesn't hold up in my opinion compared to Sky or Cold Steel. Great ensemble of characters, but for me personally the game is missing an Estelle, or an Olivier, or a Rean, or a Towa. I haven't fallen in love with any of the new characters the way I have some of my favorites from other games in the series (except maybe for KeA). Lloyd in particular I feel like is a little flat and uninteresting compared to Estelle and Rean. Of course, there's a whole 'nother game this arc for that. The plot had the FC "problem" where it was mostly worldbuilding and monster-of-the-week plots with the "main" plot only really showing up at the end, but it didn't have the benefit FC had of fantastic leads and an amazing cliffhanger.

Overall, I think my opinion of Zero is very similar to my opinion of Sky the 3rd - not my favorite as a complete package, but it had some of my favorite individual moments in the series (the final chapter in particular was a rollercoaster of emotions and badassity).

12. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

02/25 - Trails in the Sky FC (PC)
    04/22 - Trails in the Sky SC (PC)
    05/09 - Bioshock Infinite (PC)
    06/09 - Trails of Cold Steel (PS4)
    07/04 - Trails from Zero (PC)
    07/05 - Destiny 2: Forsaken (PS4)

I just finished a quest wherein I cleansed the grimdark out of my favorite weapon in the game turning it into a cool noblebright support weapon, and I can't think of a better place to end my run of Year 5 of Destiny. I might log back in for the yearly Age of Triumph event, but more likely I won't pick it up again until Shadowkeep kicks off Year 6. Therefore, my yearly Destiny writeup!

After the massive amounts of missteps with Year 4's release of Destiny 2, which only started to course correct toward the end of that year, Year 5 was an absolute hit. Forsaken got off to a great start with a cool opening campaign, the best destination (read: open world style level) in the series thus far with the Dreaming City, and delving into some of the previously more obscure parts of Destiny's lore like the mysterious space-elf Awoken, the Ahamkara wish dragons, the even-more-undead-than-usual Toland, the I-think-Brandon-Sanderson-should-sue-somebody dimension of thought known as the Ascendant Realm, and the robot with the most badass name in the history of robots Quria, Blade Transform. Oh, also the switch from launch D2's double-primary weapon system to a more elastic version of D1's primary-special-heavy system.

The content dropped throughout the year was pretty cool, too - from a lore nerd perspective, it was spectacular, with the Black Armory giving more context to periods of the world's history which are still shrouded in mystery (the Golden Age and the Dark Age), Joker's Wild giving a lot of context and backstory to the new fan favorite character Drifter as well as another piece of obscure lore, the mysterious, seemingly omniscient Nine (who it turns out may be the planets of the solar system plus the sun/pluto/planet nine which evolved a consciousness, which is pretty much ultimate space fantasy coolness right there), and Penumbra providing more lore into the Cabal Empire and particularly Emperor Calus (which I honestly still find to be the least interesting of the enemy races). Then on top of that you had some subplots which were woven throughout the year, from the player Guardian's contact with the gunslinger antihero, Shin Malphur, to the power struggle between Fallen leaders Fikrul, Variks, Eramis, and Mithrax going on in the background.

Gameplaywise, it continues to be in top form, with Destiny still having, in my opinion, the best feeling gunplay in the medium. New subclasses and gear have made the "character builds" aspect the strongest it's been since late D1 (with Shadowkeep promising to make that aspect even deeper and more varied than its ever been), there's been lots of new activities and gameplay modes which are overall very strong (some of the best probably being the new PvPvE mode Gambit, the hectic almost raid-lite Menagerie which has a lot of cool encounters with a light loot-crafting element, and everything in the Dreaming City which was, frankly, a dream come true for me as a solo player looking for endgame content catering to my playstyle).

If there are two things in which I feel like the direction the franchise took this year was lacking, it was first, that the game is designing very "wide." The negative side of the new activities like Gambit and Menagerie is that working on those prevents Bungie from adding to and tweaking existing modes. I was a bit bummed that we only got a total of four new Strikes this year, all of which came out with Forsaken at the beginning of Year 5, making the Strike playlist (which is already a bit underwhelming for other reasons), my go-to in D1, feel a bit stale (and the PvP fanbase is currently running around screaming and on fire, as they've had nothing more than a balance update every 3-4 months since Forsaken dropped). The second is the power scaling aspect. This is partially due to some activities feeling like they were balanced for the old double-primary weapon system, making them too easy under the new system, and partially because each new mini-expansion brought with it an increased level cap, but old content remained capped at or below pre-increase endgame levels, meaning if you wanted a challenge, you pretty much had to play the new content. This was tangentially addressed as a problem in Bungie's recent livestream where they talked about Shadowkeep, so I'm hoping that in the future, particularly for solo stuff, there's an option to match the enemy levels to your own, preserving a bit of the challenge (and therefore fun).

TL;DR, This was a great year for Destiny fans (unless you're primarily a PvP player): most of the missteps from D2's launch have been fixed, lots of cool new gear and loadouts, some interesting new modes, tons of awesome lore for us nerds, but with some problems regarding difficulty scaling and obsolescence of perfectly good content. Next time I step into the world of Destiny, I'll be going back TO THE MOON! (and will probably be on PC - thanks, cross-save!)

13. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Nekopara vol. 1
    Detective Pikachu
    Warioware Gold
    My Nintendo Picross - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Pokemon Ultra Sun
    Parascientific Escape: Cruise in the Distant Seas
    Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
    Katamari Reroll
    The Simpsons Arcade Game

Finally made the time to play this on teh PS3 :p Before I had to get the controllers charged, then wasn't in the mood, then got sick, but now I'm like "I got time and up for a quick co-op session!" Honestly, it wasn't my favorite beat 'em up. I preferred how stuff like Turtles in Time gave more moves as an option, and how the bosses were.... recognizable. Fighting a giant bowling ball thing with 3 phases? I dunno, just kinda weird, with Konami coming up with unique stuff for you to fight. The bad guys are all like, salesmen? I felt like you were always slightly off to the middle when moving, which sucked with stuff coming off to the sides. Mr Burns is also such a coin-sucker cheap fight (I played on unlimited continues tho cause meh!) It was ok, but makes me wanna play some other stuff like Scott Pilgrim next :x

14. DustyStarr

My man!

...But I agree, it is a very basic beat 'em up and it really does not do anything better than any other one. I just like it for the little references and the sprite work is nice. Also nostalgia! It's not bad, just sorta basic.

Scott Pilgrim is pretty fun and has a really nice art style and a lotta little things, and definitely more in-depth controls than The Simpsons. I do have thoughts on it, but I won't color your opinion before you play. X3

15. DustyStarr

Beaten Games of 2019
    04/10 - Bloodborne (PS4)
    07/17 - Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (Dream Collection) (Wii)

I've been meaning to beat this game for SO long. I finally started it around the time I picked up the Dream Collection (in 2012.... holy shit where does the time go ;~;), but I put it down for years. However, after seeing it be ran at Summer Games Done Quick, I got the urge to try it again (partially urged by a friend), and I just plowed through it. Funny how a game so short took me so long to complete. X3

Glad I finally got back to it though, because the game is so great! It leans onto the easier side without being TOO easy (some of the later levels can be pretty tricky... 5-4 with its crushers was a little rough!), making for a pretty comfortable ride. The game is also not terribly long, which could be seen as a negative (especially if you bought it back in the day at full price), but I prefer a short game that is great to a long game that is stretching its ideas thin. An awesome, charming adventure that does not overstay it's welcome.

Speaking of charm, I am sure this does not come as a surprise, but the game is so GOSH DARN ADORABLE. The little cutscenes at the end of each world are cute, the interactions in the levels with Kirby and pals, and even some of the background elements are just cute. Even for a 5th Generation game, Kirby and co transitioned pretty well into 3D with their simplified designs (I feel like King Dedede looked a little off, but he was the only one). However, I am not sure if it is due to limitations or running out of time, but it is a little sad to see a number of familiar enemies not appear in the game (and some of the new ones looking a little basic). On that note, pretty much none of the classic minibosses return either, and all of the minibosses are just regular enemies upsized with health bars.

However, on the gameplay side, the game is still great fun, largely in part to the ability combo system. While the game has fewer abilities than previous games on the surface (7 base abilities), with the combinations it increases to a very respectable 35 (with some being better than others). Ability depth is all over the place, with some having varied movesets and some having a single attack (and nothing quite reaching Superstar level depth); however, the wide variety of abilities to experiment really helps with gameplay variety, I rarely think I used the same ability in many stages (the game also forces you to complete stages with specific ones to collect the Crystal Shards).

Oh yeah, hundred percent is pretty easy in the game, speaking of Crystal Shards. 3 in a level, all fairly simple to find minus a few. Unlocks a pretty awesome boss wit an AWEsOME soundtrack. Actually, the entire soundtrack is just TASTY and it's one of the best parts about the game.

Overall, as stated, I really like this game. Honestly I kind of love it. Like, it's not a life-changing experience, but it's a really sweet little game. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes Kirby games.

16. DustyStarr

Beaten Games of 2019
    04/10 - Bloodborne (PS4)
    07/22 - Donkey Kong 3 (NES App) (Switch)

Uhm I didn't really mean to beat it, and not entirely sure if you can count a game like this, but I just kept on playing and realized it had been like 10 rotations without any new enemies or anything really different... so counting it? X3 Mostly just because I counted the original Donkey Kong.

Still, despite being the black sheep of the series I like 3. It's kind of easy, but I dig that well enough, even if it does not really mix itself up enough as it goes along like Donkey Kong Jr. did (but I suck hard at that game). I find the gameplay a bit more fun than the original honestly, I like vertical shmups and this is pretty close to one of those. I remember I learned of the game from Stanley's trophy in Melee, and... well I thought there would be more to the game than there is, butt steel. X3 I first played it at PAX in 2014 I want to say and had a pretty dang good time, so I'm glad it got re-released on the Switch (in both NES and arcade forms).

Don't have a lot to say honestly... it's fun. X3 ...Stanley would make a cool assist trophy in smash I guess...

17. DustyStarr

Beaten Games of 2019
    04/10 - Bloodborne (PS4)
    07/22 - Donkey Kong 3 (NES App) (Switch)
    07/26 - Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled (Switch)

Finally got around to beating the game! The story mode is pretty short (but fun!), but I got so obsessed with trying to raise my Nitro Points to stay in the top 5% of the leaderboard so I can get that Championship car (so mostly doing the missions and grinding) that I kind of forgot about the story. X3 It's fun though! Just like the original game evidently (minus the options for difficulties and being able to play as new characters, but you can turn those off as well), a nice unchanged single player kart racing experience. The adventure mode is SHORT though, so I definitely would not buy the game for that, though when going for 100% it does have a nice amount of content and is the principal way to unlock the original unlockables and get better at the tracks (not counting the Nitro Kart tracks, hopefully, we can get its story mode as DLC or something). Similar to Diddy Kong racing except with a less interactive hub world.

Adventure Mode is preferable for a newbie like me starting the game anyways. X3 I have been getting destroyed online, but I am slowly getting a little better. The game has a much higher skill floor and ceiling than Mario Kart, which is really the only Kart game I have played in the last two decades. You still get money and Nitros (your score in the leaderboard, like EXP for a Fortnite battle pass) for losing online thankfully, butt steel.

I am a little torn on how the game feels a bit... modernized. While there are no micro-transactions at all, the grind for buying the new content (new racers, skins, karts, and such not found in the original CTR) is a slog, and the Fortnite battle pass, while overall harmless I guess, also makes the game feel like it's forcing me to play rather than me playing it for fun. I am having fun, but I hate the way that so many modern games use timed exclusive items to strong-arm you to keep playing, but it could be worse I guess. They also say every item will be available to purchase in the shop via in-game currency, so... can hope that is true. Just have to hope Activision does not retroactively put MTX into the game, because the game is perfectly set up to allow that. :/

However, I have been having fun with the game so I guess I can not complain too much, and it's nice that there is such an active online (even if the online is fucking busted). Either way, fun game, I have enjoyed playing it and participating in this Grand Prix a lot. :3 I might just take a break from the next one though. X3

And with that done, tomorrow I finally play a JRPG now that I have some more free time... either going back to Xenoblade 2 or starting Fire Emblem Three Houses... not horribly excited about either, but there we go. X3

18. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

Well thats a very easy choice :p

19. DustyStarr

I go play a MAN game like DOOM 2016 instead? A bold suggestion. X3

20. AnimeGamer183

AnimeGamer183 Well-Known Member

Finish. Xenoblade 2.

DOOM and Three Houses after.

We all know shes choosing three houses though :x