Completed Games / Backloggery Topic!

Discussion in 'General Video Games Discussion' started by Shizukari, Oct 27, 2013.

1. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

2017 Games Beaten

PC
    Borderlands (2/19)
    Valkyria Cronicles (2/22)
    Trails in the Sky the 3rd (6/16)

PS4
    BlazBlue: Chronophantasma -Extend- (1/28)
    Steins;Gate 0 (3/29)

PS Vita
    Persona 4 Golden (2/2)

After nearly three months since beating the last game, I finally add another to the list! My summed up reactions: I very much enjoyed it, I thought it was an excellent send off to the events and characters of the Liberl arc. In some ways it's my least favorite of the Trails games so far due to the structure and nature of the story (which gets into Chapter One spoilers), but it also has some of my favorite bits of story in the whole series thus far (Moon Door 2 being one of the surprise stand-outs for me). All in all, I think it did exactly what it set out to do: gave a sense of finality and closure to the Trails in the Sky duology, while making me pumped and curious to see where the rest of the series goes.

And I now have a very strong urge to replay Trails of Cold Steel one and two...

2. Akeashar

Akeashar Active Member

PC
    The Park

PS4

Shantae - Risky's Revenge Director's Cut
    Resident Evil 7 / DLC / Midnight Demo

I'm... really not finishing anything so far this year. Mainly been playing MMOs.

The Park is a walking simulator set in an amusement park in The Secret World, and is a decent mind-screwery horror. Pretty enough on my PC. Only an hour or two long and no replay value, but neat in a short story way.

3. tilinelson2

tilinelson2 Active Member

Games beaten in 2017:

01/08 - XBlaze Lost: Memories (PSV)
    01/14 - Sakura Swim Club (PC)
    02/05- Hitman: Blood Money (PC)
    04/24- A Kiss for The Petals: Remembering How We Met (PC)
    06/17 - Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PC)

Quite a slow year, since I have been playing long games. Maybe I will play some short afterwards, so my completed games list for 2017 may get bigger later.

Anyway, Deus Ex: Human Revolution has exactly what I expected from it, based on my awesome Deus Ex experience (the original one). Besides the great visuals for its time, the game has almost everything that made the original excellent: solid gameplay, mix of exploration, stealth. combat, freedom, sidequests, secrets, etc. Besides that, the story is also very good, with lots of interesting characters, a lot of resources that develop the lore (books, e-mails, newspapers, conversation between NPCs, etc). The main story was not so good as in the original one, but it was good nonetheless, the main characters likable, the events credible, and a good balance of things happening. It is really a pity that Deus Ex is a franchise that is always a hit, then a miss, so it is left to rest for long periods.

4. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Well-Known Member

I finished Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. It was kind of a mixed bag for me. The underlying story was interesting to me, but I didn't love the narration of that story. The game also had surprisingly detailed and beautiful graphics for an indie game, but it was disappointing how little of it you could actually interact with in the game. The lack of an effective run button as well as the lack of manual saving both made the game more tedious than it had to be. The music was really great though.

5. commodorewheeler

I finished Root Letter today. I actually liked it quite a bit, more than I was expecting to after what I've read about it. The main storyline was actually quite riveting, similar to the Steins; Gate games, in that I didn't want to put it down and wanted to keep going to see what happened next. There are also interrogation scenes along the way that reminded me of the feel of the class trials in Danganronpa.

There are some issues with the game, though. Similar to Steins; Gate 0, the endings weren't that great after a pretty riveting buildup. Also, the translation wasn't fantastic. It won't prevent you from understanding the plot or enjoying the game, but in some parts it definitely makes you think that the localizers don't speak English as a first language. To me, most video game characters exhibit rather bizarre behavior, but in Root Letter, they act more bizarrely at times than in most games, to the point where it sometimes breaks your suspension of disbelief.

Root Letter does definitely do something better than any other console VN that I've played to date, and that is to be very replay friendly when you are going for all of the endings. Not only can you skip text, but you can skip chapters anytime you want up to a certain point in the game. That saves a ton of time and tedium, since the main body of the story is exactly the same no matter which ending you are going for.

Overall I actually really enjoyed Root Letter and would recommend it to anyone who likes VNs. It's not as strong overall as the Steins; Gate games, the Danganronpa games, or the Zero Escape games, but overall, it was definitely one of the console VNs I enjoyed the most.

One word of advice I would give to anyone considering playing these games: take a day or two between endings to process what happened. The endings vary wildly thematically, and because I was impatient to see all of them (I did 2 of them in one day and 3 of them the next day), I caused myself a lot of confusion when thinking back on them.

6. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

Beaten Games of 2017
    01/01 - Dead Rising 2 (PS4)
    04/13 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
    04/16 - Assault Android Cactus (PS4)
    05/15 - Asura's Wrath (PS3)
    07/02 - ARMS (Switch)

Man... my list is pretty poopy this year. X3 Anyways I beat Arms, and by beat I mean I beat Grand Prix with each char, beat 1v100, and finally beat Grand prix over level 4 with someone to see the end credits. The game... it's fun, but a bit light on content. And by a bit light on content I mean a lot light on content. Like, the core game is pretty good (though I am not a fan of how slow it feels), but once you have unlocked ranked mode, well... it's just fighting the same fights over and over (and online you will mostly see the same 3-4 characters so there is less variety than the already small roster). There are arms to unlock, but that just means grinding coins which is... just fighting. I suppose I should not be that surprised, it is a fighting game after all, but it lacks a lot of modes that made other fighting games fun. No story mode, no real survival mode, single player always feels exactly the same due to the low amount of characters, and while they are some minigames they can be unbalcned (hoops is a lotta fun though).

Party mode online is probably where the game shines, just random game modes with different people, sometimes it's competitive sometimes it's cooperative, sometimes it's fighting and sometimes it's minigames. You see a lot more variety in the party mode than the ranked mode too. But still, you end up just fighting the game fights over and over again, and with the way the game works, as in no real combo system or any moves other than punching, it can get a little stale. Soul Calibur is a weapon based fighter, but it still has tons of in depth combos to learn and ways to mix things up. ARMS I'm not sure yet, fights always feel pretty samey, and there is not as much to learn. It might just be the game is not for me, I like fighting games for their fun side modes often (and for people to play local with which I do not have anymore so), but still. It's a fun little game though, and poopping into Party Mode is nice.

7. commodorewheeler

Good review. I did not think this would be my kind of game and your review confirmed it for me.

8. DustyStarr

Yeah... the game is super charming, and nicely polished; it looks and sounds great, but, just... not enough to it. Maybe down the road with the DLC though.

9. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star
    Pokemon Sun
    Fire Emblem Heroes
    Super Smash Bros for WiiU
    Luigi's Mansion Arcade
    Lego Jurassic World

I beat something!!! (It's so exciting when I do nowadays :p) Only took 2 years for this co-op game to be beat, due to motivation (not on my part...) and just being busy with work and school. It's a fun game, but geeze did it have its glitches! Some of the controls sucked too, since the prompt would have the same button use, so you would accidently be using that instead. Overall, I'd want to play more Lego games, and it sounds like the others are not nearly as glitchy, thankfully.

(BTW, this is my first PS4 game beat... Yeahhhh...)

10. DustyStarr

*counts* ...Holy pooples you are ahead of me for once. X3

11. commodorewheeler

I played a little bit of that game with my 5 year old and I agree with you, it was pretty fun.

12. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star
    Pokemon Sun
    Fire Emblem Heroes
    Super Smash Bros for WiiU
    Luigi's Mansion Arcade
    Lego Jurassic World
    Splatoon

Yay something else I beat! I've been meaning to get this done, and wanted to beat it before 2 came out :x The story mode was pretty challenging at times, but fun! That last boss took me a couple tries there :p And due to the WiiPad gyro, I tend to physically move around A LOT while playing. Especially during some tense moments :x

13. Fuepepe

Fuepepe Active Member

07/13/17 - Ao no Kiseki Evolution (Vita)
    07/08/17 - Superhot (Steam)

06/21/17 - Mighty Gunvolt Burst (Switch)
    06/20/17 - Zero no Kiseki Evolution (Vita)
    06/10/17 - Life is Strange Collection (PS4)
    06/03/17 - Utawarerumono - Mask of Deception (Vita)

----------------------------
    05/21 - Period Cube ~Shackles of Amadeus~ (Vita)
    05/16 - Nayuta no Kiseki (PSP)
    05/08 - Trails in the Sky the 3rd (PC)

04/30 - Puyo Puyo Tetris (PS4)
    04/26 - Tales of Hearts R (Vita)
    04/23 - Cosmic Star Heroine (PS4)
    04/22 - The Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+ (Switch)
    04/20 - Fast RMX (Switch)
    04/19 - Persona 5 (PS4)
    04/02 - Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)

03/25 - Atelier Firis (PS4)
    03/19 - Chrono Clock (Steam)
    03/18 - Nier: Automata (PS4)
    03/12 - Dragon Quest VII (3DS)

02/25 - Crystalis (NES)
    02/21 - Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 (PS2)
    02/17 - Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)
    02/10 - Fruit of Grisaia (Steam)
    02/08 - Tales of Berseria (PS4)

01/01 - Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga (PS2)

-------------------------

Not much to say on this one. I was waiting for a good sale on Superhot to finally try it. The story mode is a bit short, but I like the design and gameplay and the challenges postgame are still interesting enough to do. Mighty Gunvolt Burst is cheap and honestly what Mighty No 9 should have been. It plays like the good NES megaman games and uses retro graphics instead of ugly 3D models as well. Life is Strange was great. I picked it up on PSN+ for free and I kind of regret not paying for it sooner. I definitely regret playing through Utawarerumono before Mask of Truth came out cliffhanger endings are awful.

I hadn't played the Evolution versions... ever so I figured now that all five were out it would be a good time to finally import them and give them a shot. I didn't mind Zero/Ao Evolution and thought the voice acting added a lot to the game. I've heard mixed things about the Liberl Evolution trilogy which I'm going to next.

14. DustyStarr

Beaten Games of 2017
    07/02 - ARMS (Switch)
    07/14 - Crash Bandicoot (PS4)

Yay another game! And boy howdy was it a hard one. This is the first time I have ever tried the Crash trilogy. I have no real nostalgia for it, but I really wanted to try out the games... also 3 nice looking fun games for 32 dollars is not so bad. X3 Now of course most people strongly advised that I do not start with the first game, rather go with the second or third because they are funner, more polished, and just better I suppose, but I didn't wanna be a BITCH, I wanted to see what all the hubbub was about! ..And yeah the game is kinda hard. Not TOO hard really, but I spent a lot of lives over the course of my game. They actually made the game easier in this version; back then you had to beat EVERY level without dying to get the gems, but now that only applies to the colored gem levels, which I suppose makes sense, there has to be some sorta challenge to set those gems apart from the normal ones you get in every other level, but... man some of those levels. X3

Okay aside from the difficulty the game is fun, if a bit... simple. I am sure everyone knows that the big thing about the Crash series are the boxes, and how you want to go out of your way to destroy them to get gems or whatever rewards future games might have. The boxes are what make the levels interesting and gives the game its identity. The problem is that that kinda means you HAVE to go for 100% to make the game interesting. If you want a hard, weighty PS1 platformer without the box mechanic I would recommend Oddworld then. Still, when you do try to get all of the boxes the game is pretty interesting... if a bit hard sometimes. It really makes you think how you go through levels and makes you have to plan our your actions in advance, which makes it into a slower, more methodical platformer compared to something like Mario. I'm also happy to say that the depth perception issues are not as bad as they were in the original I hear; I did not have much of a problem in most cases, though there is a pretty low margin of error in some levels. Still, the gameplay is fun, but the presentation is nice too.

The graphics and music are really great, the game is super pleasant to just look at and listen too. The sound effects are really nice and punchy too (and some of them are straight out of Space Station Silcion Valley which gave me some weird nostalgia X3). I also really like how they used the visuals of the levels to make the world feel more cohesive, like being able to see the start of next levels or see the next island off in the distance. It's a small thing but it really adds to the game.

My only real problem with the game is a lack of a restart button, because that makes getting the colored gems a total chore. The checkpoints are boxes you HAVE to pick up, but if you pick them up and die in one of those stages you have to exit the level and reenter, taking a good 30 seconds sometimes. This could be easily patched in, but it made levels like Slippery Climb even more frustrating. The hitboxes are also kind of wonky, but you get used to it as you go on.

Either way it's a pretty fun little game. It's a short but challenging platformer from a different time, and it's cool to see it have such a facelift and finally be able to experience it. :3

15. tilinelson2

Games beaten in 2017:

07/16 - Lucy - The Eternity She Wished For (PC)

By the name of the game and description, I kinda expected this game to have some intention of being linked to Planetarian, and after going through it, I feel that I was not wrong about my assumption. I found the game to be a cute visual novel, a heartwarming/heartbreaking story centered in the android (gynoid) Lucy, an android that looks and acts almost like an human, with some flaws.

The game obviously yells at you "you oughta love Lucy", and does a good job in making Lucy a very likable character, banking on her flaws as trying to be like an human, following the steps of Yumeni from Planetarian, which is the most lovable gynoid in a game in my opinion.

Too bad it focus so much on Lucy that the rest is kinda left behind. The other characters and the story are not very compelling. Most of the time they are a nuisance, and the story is mostly an excuse to have Lucy through different situations and make you care about her. Even the developments are pretty much predictable and unoriginal. There aren't also paths, just a choice that can lead to a true ending or a normal ending.

Although I liked the game, I am sure it is a big hit-or-miss. If you happen to not relate to Lucy, there is nothing else to like in the game.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  16. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

2017 Games Beaten

PC
    Borderlands (02/19)
    Valkyria Cronicles (02/22)
    Trails in the Sky the 3rd (06/16)

PS4
    BlazBlue: Chronophantasma -Extend- (01/28)
    Steins;Gate 0 (03/29)

PS Vita
    Persona 4 Golden (02/2)
    Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception (07/22)

Utawarerumono done! I enjoyed my time with this VN, overall, but it has a few problems. The first one is purely personal - I got it after being blown away by the anime adaptation of the first game, which was very much a fantasy epic, while Mask of Deception is a bit more slice-of-life in the first half and significantly more anime throughout.

Secondly, it has what I call the "Cold Steel Problem". This game is very clearly intended to work as an extended prologue for the sequel, made to establish the world and build an emotional connection to the characters, but besides a few interesting pockets here and there in the second half, the proverbial sh*t doesn't really hit the fan until the last couple of hours, and it ends off on a massive and brilliant cliffhanger.

And thirdly, the difficulty was wonky. I mean, yeah, it's a VN first and foremost, with the SRPG-type battles being secondary, but still. Normal was very easy, so I switched up to hard. Hard felt like a decent difficulty throughout - had to retry most battles, but rarely more than once - right up until the final boss, who could pretty much OHKO large swathes of my party with any one of his moves. I eventually just beat the final boss on normal, but then he seemed to have completely different attacks and I beat him on the first try despite some really sloppy positioning with with of my key damage dealers early in the fight.

But as I said, overall, I enjoyed myself. I really liked most of the characters, the ones I did not like eventually grew on me, the second half of the story (when it starts diving more into the war drama and scifi/cosmic horror elements this franchise does so well) was excellent, the first half, while not as compelling or interesting, was cute and fun, and the ending makes me really interested in getting the sequel when it comes out and seeing where the story goes from there.

17. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

I need to make time to get through this :x Just... be glad you didn't watch the sequel anime. As I've said time and time again, the pacing on the game is excellent. Some of the anime episodes just felt so... fillerish, and I had no idea where it was going. Here, at least you get some time to spend and get to know the characters more, instead of "here's a harem of girls! That's the quiet, bashful one, that one is the tsun, that one...." I look forward getting into more of the war arc of the VN. I HATED how it just kind of... happened in the anime, and everyone went out of character, cause rushed!

18. KlausRealta

KlausRealta Well-Known Member

Games Finished in 2017:
    04/23 - Xanadu Next (Steam)
    05/04 - The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II (PS3)
    05/05 - LIMBO (Steam)
    05/14 - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd (Steam)
    05/21 - Zone of the Enders HD Edition (PS3)
    05/26 - Tales of Symphonia HD (PS3)
    06/01 - Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner HD Edition (PS3)
    06/03 - Resident Evil Code: Veronica (DC)
    06/06 - Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure (Steam)
    07/28 - Ys: Memories of Celceta (PSV)

Whew, finally got around to beating this game after spending like a week to a week and a half on the final dungeon. Mind you, that's not because the final dungeon takes forever, but I'll get into that later. To put it simply, it's fun, but probably my least favorite Ys game. That's not to say it's bad, just not up to par with what I like from Ys. More details in the spoiler (also spoilers):

So, let's start with the good. Adol feels just a nice as he did in Ys Seven. I'm more biased towards how the Napishtim engine games felt, but Ys: MoC still feels fun to play. Hell, I even like grinding in this game to where I spent hours trying to master all of my characters' skills for the trophy. And even though it's my least favorite Ys title, I like it enough to where I want to go back and Platinum it. In terms of combat mechanics, Flash Move is a new mechanic where you gain invincibility frames if you can dodge an enemies attack correctly. I really like this since it rewards me for dodging at just the right moment, and makes it so that I'm inclined to keep on moving. Returning is Flash Guarding, which I'm not a fan of since I suck at timing it, but it adds some skill to the game. And the party system is back which I'm not a fan of because the AI can't move instantly when I do, which leaves me solo in a lot of the bosses when you need your teammates to put a dent in them. For gameplay, nothing was wrong, but I didn't like how the bosses were designed. There was one boss in Iris that sucked because of a bad camera angle so I couldn't really move well, and lots of them had a lot of one hit kill moves that required you to be good at Flash Guard. Considering this isn't a mechanic that the game teaches you, I didn't really enjoy it. Mind you, I suck at Flash Guarding and that made this run unpleasant for me (it was Nightmare btw). But even so, the bosses were just boring. Either frustrating mechanics (Forest of Spores boss) or easy with a lot of health. Nothing felt good to fight except for Eldeel and the Akashic Glyph.

Also, the story is pretty barebones, but tries to be complex... I don't know, I felt the inclusion of Galbas kind of forced, and Leeza didn't really do anything... and I didn't really care for anything or any of the characters. Even Karna, who is the supposed to be the heroine, doesn't really do much... I have this party of characters, but it feels like I'm controlling one person... The story has some pacing issues too. I can understand the whole exploring the Great Forest causing the game to be light on plot in the beginning, and I enjoyed when I entered the Primeval Lands, but things kind of drag on once I get to Elduke. I'm finally supposed to catch up to Eldeel, but then I have to find the Mask of the Moon... so two dungeons fighting generic badies... so now I have that and I have to go to the Colonia Research Factory... another dungeon... so I do that... then I can finally go the Temple of the Sun and fight Eldeel, which is nice. Then Gruda comes, now I have to chase him and there's another dungeon with three more bosses... and it just kind of drags on. I took so long to get through Iris because I just got bored. I didn't feel like going through another dungeon with more boss fights when I wanted the story to end. Well, I'm rambling so I'll just end it here... I'd still recommend it just because it's a fun action RPG, but not a great one.

19. DustyStarr

Beaten Games of 2017
    07/02 - ARMS (Switch)
    07/14 - Crash Bandicoot (PS4)
    07/29 - Bloodborne (PS4)

That went a lot faster than I thought it would, and I even went out of my way to do the optional stuff (but I forgot about the Old Hunters DLC until like right now X3), but it was still fun. I think I literally beat like the entire last half of the gamer in my last session, I got really into it and did not want to put it down. X3 Now I really wish I had done the DLC, but oh well, there is the future.

So what did I think of the game? It's really good, though there are some minor nitpicks that I have with it. For the good I really enjoy the faster paced gameplay; it took a while to get used to it, but when I did get used to it I flew through the game really, minus a couple of gimmicky enemies here and there (curse you winter lanterns!). For the most part the combat is really fun and visceral feeling, and I like the emphasis on countering and getting in "visceral attacks", it made me feel like I had a lot better handle on the game's mechanics when I could easily stagger and get powerful attacks in on enemies and bosses. While I missed my shield at first I understand replacing it with the gun, since it really forces you to be on your toes and play more fast and aggressive, which is cool. I won't say it's better or worse than the Souls games, but it was a nice change of pace.

While there is less weapon variety I do enjoy how each weapon has a pretty diverse moveset (minus the Tonitrus I spose), making combat more fun than say Dark Souls, where your weapon only has a couple of combos.

Besides that the game looks and sounds great, love the music, love the art style and how the game uses color; despite taking place almost entirely in this gross city, it never falls into the murky brown and gray trap, but it uses vivid reds, blues, yellows, purples, and greens at different times to really make the game nice to look at. The attention to detail in the architecture was really fun too, I spent a lot of time just just examining the small details in the areas and nerding out over how people took the time to put these tiny details in... but I'm a dork for cool and detailed architecture in games (one of the reasons I love Ico!).

My main reservations with the game were the healing system... just kinda sucks. Having the healing system tied to resources is like the worst parts of Dark Souls and Demon's Souls healing systems; they are consumables, but you can never stock up like with Demon's Souls without tons of grinding, and despite being consumables you can only carry 20 of them with you at a time. Enemies do drop them but they kind of become a rarer drop as the game goes on. Now the last main area DOES make it easy to farm them, and if you do good it stops being an issue, but still. Magic (Arcane in this game) is also tied to consumables, which totally killed my drive to do an arcane run: you can only carry 20 silver bullets with you at a time, and some spells use upwards of 7, meaning you can cast that spell 2-3 times per lantern, which is lame. Even Dark Souls' magic was better than that, with it's limited uses per bonfire (I prefer Demon Soul's classic MP system myself).

Either way there is a good chance inexperienced players will be forced to grind for resources, and that is lame. If there is ONE thing I do not like from a game, it is wasting my time (since I only get so much time to play them, though the same is true for many people).

Either way minus that issue, it was a really fun, if short, game. :3

And that makes another game for July. X3

20. tilinelson2

Games beaten in 2017:

07/16 - Lucy - The Eternity She Wished For (PC)
    08/06 - Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment (PSV)

After more than 200 hours of gameplay, I have finally finished SAO: Hollow Fragment. The fact that I managed to stay focused on the game for that long means it was very enjoyable, since I spent more than twice the time the other RPG I spent most time with, so not a small feat. Although the game is not brilliant, it does many things right, so it is easy to lose yourself on it and keep playing the challenges they bring just for fun. I believe I would not enjoy that much the game if it were just the Infinity Moment part, but the Hollow Area from Hollow Fragment is great in exploration, quests, helping building the characters and everything else, with really challenging parts and nice things to do out of the main story. Besides, the Infinity Moment has a big plot flaw.
    The best girl is an AI. Dat Strea...
    As for the story, none of the games have deep story or character interaction, and the localization is horrible to boot, but for someone who liked SAO anime despite its flaws, it is nice to see familiar faces, have some interaction between them more in a slice-of-life way, enriching the whole franchise experience. How not to love Asuna and Sinon?

Because of such a long game, my backlog is far worse than it was, but it isn't something I should worry about. Since the long journey through SAO world was fun, it is all that matters. Besides, that was probably the best hours of fun/price ratio.