Bullet Girls 2 (Vita)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by HalfMinuteBurrito, Dec 15, 2015.

1. HalfMinuteBurrito

HalfMinuteBurrito New Member

Bullet Girls 2 was just announced by D3Publisher:
    http://www.d3p.co.jp/bulletgirls2/

The first was often called "Senran Kagura with guns" and played as an arcadey Third Person Shooter with gameplay where you needed to complete some objectives under a time limit. Enemies included girls, helicopters, tanks, and APVs. The game featured situational battle damage where a shot in the shoulder would rip the clothes on your shoulders, arm shots ripped sleeves, belly shots ripped your shirt, etc.. In total there are 39 different animations depending on where you aim which shows an attention to detail that's lacking in many games.

Between missions you're given a small dialog that ranges from story progression, and sometimes small skits that are actually pretty funny.

Upon completing a mission you were given a grade based on time to completion along with how much clothing damage you did. Completely destroying a characters clothing with a weapon or explosive would leave a dust cloud, and you would unlock being able to purchase their same type of undergarments from the in game shop.

Unlike most games with fan service for fan service sake, your undergarments are your equipment. Some will increase your total mission time, some upgrade your HP, and others will upgrade the effectiveness of certain weapon types. This encourages both collecting, changing often and mixing and matching. The duality of meshing fan service with gameplay gives the player a reason to actually go out and collect them for a reason other than being a completionist.

Since each of the girls have different proficiencies with the different weapons, you're encouraged to change their load outs to their strengths making each girl uniquely their own.

The game also featured an Interogation mini game, where you'd use items corresponding to either "Good" or "Bad" on random parts of their bodies that appear and disappear randomly on them after an amount of time. You can change the camera angle to see different spots to use the items. Items include a squirt gun, cockroaches, natto, and a paint brush among many others. Each of the items has different stats, so you have to chose between balancing "Good" and "Bad" in which items you chose. The entire concept is incredibly absurd and since each of the items has a unique sound effect, it makes it totally over the top to the point of hilarity. The mini game is actually surprisingly fun since you're quickly switching between items and camera angles, and trying to get the most points and highest combos before your time runs out.

Now that everyone is up to speed on what Bullet Girls is, here's the teaser trailer for Bullet Girls 2:
    https://www.youtube....h?v=FD0kD1-4DYc

From just that little bit of gameplay shown, it looks like they've made a ton of improvements and added quite a lot of things to the game. There's new locations, characters, weapons, weapon types, usable items like food and power ups. There's added animation for when you get hit by a weapon. They also included side dodging for both the player and for the enemy AI. The interrogation mini game has added locations and it looks like now you can play it from the point of the interrogated too. It looks like this is the game that they wanted to make when they made Bullet Girls 1 but couldn't either due to budget concerns or time.

Since this is a D3Publisher game, and Xseed has previously worked on D3Publisher's games like Onechanbara, EDF2: Invaders from Planet Space, and EDF4.1, I believe this both belongs here and has a decent shot (no pun intended). I don't believe anything in this game is any worse than what is already in Senran Kagura games and their dressing rooms, or Onechanbara so i don't see that being a reason as to why it couldn't come over. Senran Kagura games are selling in the West and continue to be localized on the Vita platform showing that there is a market for fan service games on the Vita in the West.

Sorry for the longwinded post, and thanks for reading.

2. tilinelson2

tilinelson2 Active Member

If the first hasn't been picked up for localization, I doubt the second will even be considered.

3. Augen76

Augen76 New Member

Character models look fine, but some of those textures and backgrounds are really plain and/or ugly.

Game seems fairly standard, except those mini games which I am guessing cause concern for localization.

4. HalfMinuteBurrito

New info on Bullet Girls 2:
    http://gematsu.com/2015/12/first-look-bullet-girls-2

Some highlights from the recent famitsu:
    Total of 80 missions. That's up from the 32 in the first game, or 33 if you count the last one that puts you through an endless amount of random missions until you run out of HP.

Support characters now give bonuses instead of just giving advice.

Each character now has a special move called SOD (scramble over drive). Some of which include HP regen, dual wielding pistols, mines, and a special melee kick. The last two were showcased in the trailer.

Game is currently 69% complete and slated to release on April 21th.

While I do agree with you that it is uncommon for a second game in a series to be picked up after the first was skipped, it's not unheard of. Akiba's Trip 2, Conception 2, and Ar Nosurge were the second game in their respective series that made it over in spite of the first never releasing westward. All of those games had that second game release on the Vita, were done by different publishers, and the first of which was localized by Xseed themselves.

Like with a lot of Vita games, they chose to have higher detailed character models at the expense of the textures and backgrounds.
    I think it was the right move because of all of the time you spent looking at the models, especially since it's a TPS. Also I've played a lot of the available Third Person Shooters on Vita and this is actually the best performing one out of all of them I've tried. It runs at native res and over 30fps most of the time when many of the others struggle to maintain the mid to high 20s.
    Since it's an arcadey TPS and you spend much of your time running to and fro, checking your mini map, looking out for helicopters and other vehicles, glancing at the remaining time and adjusting your aim, you don't notice the lower quality textures and backgrounds as much as you'd think you would. It's more than serviceable for what it is.

5. tilinelson2

tilinelson2 Active Member

Bad examples, since both Akiba's Trip and Conception were late PSP games, and their sequels were on other platforms. Ar Nosurge also was on different platforms (was only released in the west because of PS3), and Ciel Nosurge was not even a "regular" game at first. You can also add to the list Dungeon Travelers/ Dungeon Travelers 2, which falls in the same case as Akiba's Trip and Conception, or Oreshika, whose first installment was on PS1.

None of these would be similar to skipping a Vita game to release a its sequel also on Vita further down the line, when, at least for the west, Vita will already be on its last days (wouldn't be ready before late 2016 or even 2017). As much as I like such kinds of game, I really doubt XSEED or any other company would pick this one up.

6. Augen76

Augen76 New Member

I doubt the Vita will have a successor (and if it does not anytime soon) so we could see titles released in the west well into 2019. The Vita market is also one which niche titles could be rationalized if various costs are kept in check. That said, I do see this title having a hard time making its way over.

7. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Well-Known Member

I hated the targeting system in the first one, the reticle moving around all over the screen annoyed me. I hope the sequel has targeting more similar to a standard TPS, where the reticle stays in the middle of the screen.

8. HalfMinuteBurrito

Let's see if I can figure out how to post pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I definitely agree to that. The aiming felt way too loose to me. It was fine when the crosshair was around center-mass since it'd quickly pan the camera over to have your character on the other side of the screen, but otherwise it moved way too slow. Even something as simple as an adjustable speed or acceleration would do the aiming system wonders.

Didn't notice much of any crosshair movement during the trailer so I guess we'll have to wait for more info or new gameplay videos. I'd be fine with the old aiming if it gets some fine tuning and adjustments.

9. HalfMinuteBurrito

New screens and some info from a new article from here:
    http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2015/12/24/94367_2.html

Skimmed the article real fast and here's some stuff that caught my eye:
    You chose which of the two schools you play as, and then get a different story from each perspective.
    Missions now have Easy, Normal, or Hard difficulty
    Amount of weapons doubled
    You can only bring in 3 weapons to a mission instead of 4 like in the previous game
    1 of those 3 weapons is now locked and character specific, leaving you only 2 weapons you have control of.

The difficulty option in particular was sorely needed in the original.

There's a gallery at the bottom of the page with tons and tons of pictures but I'll post some pictures of the new guns that I spotted. Full Vita sized versions of the images can be found on the page by clicking on the zoom button:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And a bonus picture that I thought was interesting:
    [​IMG]
    Looks like at least her handgun has a magazine reload animation that actually has the magazine being reloaded instead of just miming the action.
    You also have to love the trigger discipline shown throughout all the screenshots.

10. COMel86

COMel86 Member

I was waiting for this one to pop up my usual import site and pre-ordered it a couple days ago.

11. HalfMinuteBurrito

New gameplay video that comes from the official site's header when you enter. No sound since it came from a webm. Youtube link so I don't feel bad about taking their bandwidth:
    https://www.youtube....h?v=7SsMWVyV8R4

Little things I noticed from it:
    Clothing destruction animations take place from where it happens with that spot in the background instead of a generic yellow backdrop
    Enemies can melee you
    You can crouch walk
    Ran's (new girl with light purple hair) SOD is the gut punch
    Minagi's (blue hair) SOD is her katana
    Aki's (orange hair) melee uppercut with her weapon doesn't take any SOD so I think that's what she has instead of a kick

Since Ran was shown with the lowkick opening the box in the first video, I think it's safe to assume that's her normal melee is the lowkick. Makes me wonder if anyone else has a different melee that they haven't shown yet.

Newest Famitsu showed 3 new characters from the new school, one with the four barrel rocket launcher, one with the semi-auto sniper, and the last with an uzi. I'll wait until the website updates with them or I find a site that covers it with some decent pictures to post it here.

Edit: Main site updated and a few more posted some pictures:
    http://www.d3p.co.jp/bulletgirls2/#/character.html

Other pictures sourced from here with much much more for those interested:
    http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201601280034/

The three new girls are:
    Kasumi Kanoe with the quad rocket launcher
    [​IMG]

Kirino Kanoe with the semi-auto sniper rifle:
    [​IMG]

Chiharu Kousaka with the Dual Uzis:
    [​IMG]

Some other little things I noticed:
    They show off 2 new levels in both Kasumi's and Chiharu's pictures.
    The new levels have more going on with better textures than the levels in the first
    Some of the levels that they're reusing from the first have added sandbags so there might be other little changes in them
    The texture quality has improved on the characters undergarments. It's pretty apparent on Miu's (new girl with blue hair) since in the first game the plaid and polkadots especially were a little rough around the edges and here it looks much smoother

12. HalfMinuteBurrito

New 6 minute trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb7V6CZcPNg

First and foremost, the aiming looks much, much improved over the first game. It's much tighter now than it was before.

For the interrogation mini game:
    Added animations
    A squirt tube of condensed milk (Do those even actually exist?)

For the main game:
    Added animations (I noticed the headshot one at the beginning so there is probably more)
    Bras and Panties now have 16 slots that you can customize yourself with what bonuses you want to use (ie.. HP UP)
    Of those skills, they show some that go up to level 5 and require 5 slots, (though the graphic next to it shows 6 total spaces so they probably go to Level 6 as well)
    Shotguns, Sniper Rifles, and Rockets all have blowback (both enemy and player)
    Stage hazards like the train that comes by in the new Rail-yard level
    Security lasers that set off an alarm
    New enemy vehicles like that helicopter/plane combo
    New weapon: Grenade launcher
    New weapon: Magnum
    You can do the dodge forward as well as side to side and backwards
    Just like you can crouch walk anywhere, you can also do the side crawl anywhere
    Tsukiyo also can throw Shiruken (not a SOD. Hers is her smoke bombs)
    Tsukiyo's sniper rifle now has a different sound effect when fired compared to the first game
    Ran's XN8 has a different sound effect and reload animation from the assault rifle (you'd be surprised by how many other bigger budgeted games recycle either sound effects or reload animations between weapons.)
    When it shows Aya doing her SOD, she has teammates wearing helmets
    If you look close at the minimap, the enemies in the background, and where the helmeted girls are firing, they're defending a container with you
    Miu also is shown doing that uppercut with her weapon just like Aki in previous videos. I think that's the melee you have when using big 2 handed weapons like the mini-gun and rocket launchers.
    That ship with the turret at the end that they show is actually the same level as the one that introduced Chiharu in my last post. The mini-map gives it away
    In the first game, going to first person aiming from third person had some frame drops. Looks like those are now resolved.

I'm sure I missed some stuff but I'll keep scrutinizing the trailer looking for more stuff to post about later if I find it.
    Now that I know the aiming has been touched up, the only thing I'm left curious about is the 3 difficulty modes. Hopefully they keep Normal mode as the base from the last game, and make a mode that's harder. As of right now I'm incredibly impressed with what they've brought to the sequel so far and I'm anxiously awaiting its release.

In slightly related news, JP PSN currently has a D3Publisher sale until the end of February, in which Bullet Girls 1 is currently on sale for 2,116 Yen (1,511 Yen if you have PS+). Other items that are featured are a bunch of the Simple Series games, and Oneechanbara Z2 Chaos.

I think that's a fair price for it if you wanted to give Bullet Girls 1 a try but as much as I did love it, at this point I'd suggest you wait until Bullet Girls 2 comes out in 2 months and give that a try instead. It looks like Bullet Girls 2 has so many small improvements across the board that once it comes out you'll never have a reason to ever want to go back to the first. I say that as someone that has probably racked up somewhere between 40-50 hours in Bullet Girls 1.

13. Augen76

Augen76 New Member

[​IMG]

If it is brought over I think they could improve the box art, feels a bit messy.

14. HalfMinuteBurrito

Firstly, the official site has added sound clips of all the girls if you're curious what they sound like or who's voicing who. Just click on the character then on one of the numbered sound clips:
    http://www.d3p.co.jp/bulletgirls2/#/character.html

Some new info and screenshots courtesy of:
    http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/02/25/ps-vita-exclusive-bullet-girls-2-gets-naughty-and-weird-screenshots/

New Playable Character: Rumi Yukishiro (Aka the shopkeeper from the first game). Her default weapon is the new grenade launcher.

[​IMG]

Just speculation, but her S.O.D. is probably grenade related:
    [​IMG]

You can obtain powered up weapons that replace the default weapon of the girls too. Here's some examples.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now there's some overly detailed stats pages for the weapons which is a nice change from just lvl1-lvl2-lvl3 from the first game:

[​IMG]

And two new interrogation items:
    A live eel
    A pacifier

Be sure to check out the rest of the images on the link I provided if you want to see more.
    Bonus Rumi since I thought it was really cute:
    [​IMG]

15. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

Her face is just a bit derpy looking.

16. TiamatNM

TiamatNM New Member

Xseed should do it for justice

you hating on my waifu?!

17. FirionHope

FirionHope New Member

Some of the lewd screenshots I've seen make me sweat, I'd grab this if it came over. Shame no asian english release.

18. asdronin

asdronin New Member

I would pick this for sure if it comes, but maybe as said before, due to the fanserviced interrogation scenes and all that its not picked to be localized, however I think they are losing a great opportunity being this an original game, you know being a third person shooter and all that, I hope Xseed decided to bring it.

19. HalfMinuteBurrito

New gameplay trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWx-iaYKDBU

I'll let it speak for itself, but I think they did a really good job on the reload animations and the weapon sound effects in particular.

20. asdronin

asdronin New Member

Thanks for sharing this =), yes I think its quite polished title, I know some people might only see a fanserviced game, but I see further than that, and as you said it seems they did a great work, Im hoping its coming to the west any time but oh well who knows