Ask Us About Kiseki

Discussion in 'The Legend of Heroes Series' started by omgfloofy, Jan 29, 2014.

1. JoniCroni

JoniCroni New Member

I was just kidding.

And to be honest, you could say the same about promoting their video with the number of their sales: getting over 1 million after almost 10 titles in the series isn't something impressive to "brag on", specially when most people are going to compare those numbers with series like Final fantasy and think that "if the games were special, they would sell way more, any FF title sells more than all those games together!" Although I like how proud they are about it.

2. omgfloofy

omgfloofy Well-Known Member

I think it is something for Falcom to be proud of, though. Considering that they broke their all-time record with release week sales with Sen no Kiseki getting to what I *think* was about 180,000 combined through PSP and PS3 sales? Falcom's never done large numbers. Ever. So having a game break 1 million over time... And while I know it's mincing words, it wasn't 'almost ten titles.' It broke its 1 million just around Zero's release? So within three or four games at the most.

A big thing to remember is that Falcom doesn't make games with the same scale of budgets that Square Enix does, and they have a fraction of the employees of Square Enix also. As of March 2012, SE listed as having 3,242 employees, whereas Falcom's held steady at about 45 for the past few years. There's also the fact that Falcom reliably manages a 100% profit each year, which is, last I saw, significantly higher to what SE is capable of doing. It's unfortunate to really even compare sales numbers between the two companies since they don't even operate on the same scale at all.

3. JoniCroni

JoniCroni New Member

Oh yeah, you right about those sales. It's just I misunderstood and I thought those sales were about the whole "TLoH series" instead of the "Kiseki series".

That's exactly what I like about them. I don't think there is any other company able to make games that good with such a "tiny" budget and one title per year. Videogames companies have gone crazy with its budgets and the time they need to make one. No wonder why so many of them are shutting down unless they sell 2 or 3 millions per title. Falcom can be truly proud of not being like that. Of course you can't compare their sales numbers, but from a point of view of the usual videogame player "you can". It's wrong, but people will do and think it's not something that good.

Talking about sales and SE, I always thought that since the day they started making games, they are truly incompetents. If they didn't have the luck to create Final Fantasy, they would have been dead since the NES era. It's not something new: remember the FF movie? They made such a huge investment they ruined themselves and were forced to join Enix. And now we have some guy called Toriyama forcing his waifu Lighting into SE games and actually thinking that she is the face of current japanese games.

4. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

Except that some of their games are really good so it's not fair to completely dismiss their work as incompetence or luck. They put effort into Final Fantasy and given that it saved the company, it's hard to blame them for making it their flagship series. Games like V and Tactics still hold up well today. Dissidia may have massive balance issues that no amount of US release/Japanese rerelease/new game with more elements balancing could fully cure but I'll be damned if it wasn't fun and full of fanservice in a good way. Then there's Type-0 (aka the action-rpg forerunner to Sen no Kiseki) and I'm looking forward to Versus/XV.

Granted, The Spirits Within was a phenomenally bad idea and I agree that we didn't need a third XIII game but they did good work and still do on occasion. And then there's their non-FF games. It hasn't happened yet but unless Falcom announces something first, when I pick up a PS4 the primary reason will be for Kingdom Hearts 3.

EDIT: Just posted a list of changes UDON made in their translation of the Characters artbook, for anyone interested. Short version, don't expect to see any of those names or descriptions used in XSEED/CF's localizations.

5. JoniCroni

JoniCroni New Member

What I mean about being incompetents was not about the quality of their games (I love Chrono Trigger and I played it for the first time around 2 years ago, and I'm excited about starting Chrono Cross), it was about the management and resources. Sure, as long as the games didn't need a huge investment (before the PS3/360/Wii gen) they were doing fine, and their FF games of course helped a lot, they just needed to keep following the same steps with some changes.

Being good at management and resources means also being able to evolve along with the industry, and that's something they weren't able to. Sure this gen was really hard for almost every company (because of investing so much money for developing a single game), but for Square it's been more than just that, affecting the quality of their games, making stupid decisions... And then blaming their losses on Eidos because their games weren't selling 5 millions instead of themselves for taking so much time developing games.

I don't see any other reason to answer why they turned from good developers to... well, whatever they are in just one gen. I'm not an expert at all, just my 2 cents.

About the FFXIII games, it's just the first game wasn't good enough to make people want more. Releasing two more games almost no one asked for... Even if the sequels were improvements, it wasn't a smart move. Also, what I mean about Lightning wasn't making more games, I mean stuff like this: http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj66f6Pvyuk Wouldn't be a surprise to see her on KHIII, since they love her so much and thinking she is so important when she isn't.

6. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

I dunno, we still need them to resolve the Cloud and Leon subplots in KH3 and the series has been distancing itself from FF cameos over time. Given that KH3 is going to have to wrap up those existing FF plots (and maybe TWEWY), resolve an already extremely complicated original plot and handle however many new Disney worlds it will cover, I can't see them making too much of an effort to add yet more FF to the mix, at least not in a major way.

7. ceruleanstars

ceruleanstars New Member

Yeah, their ability to allocate their resources well seems to have gone into the crapper over the past six or seven years, given things like how they almost bankrupted themselves with the original version of FFXIV. I agree with Yotaka that they still are producing some quality work nowadays, though-- I think it's a matter of them being a very large company, as game developers go, and some of their teams (like the KH team) are doing better work than others. Bravely Default seems to be getting good reviews, and I liked most of their PSP output. (They did screw up massively with the slowdown issues on FF Tactics, but I really appreciated the retranslation anyway since I often couldn't make heads or tails of the original.)

I think it's mainly Toriyama loving the character to a... wacky extent, really, and thinks she's the "face of their company" in a way she really isn't. I know several people who genuinely did like her as a character in the original FFXIII, including some people who haven't really been that enthusiastic about the FF games since the PS1 era. Not sure how much influence he has outside of the main FF numbered games, though her appearance in Dissidia Duodecim did seem a bit... promotional, but that was back when the game was new.

But that video, man... He seems to have some delusions of grandeur about her importance, definitely. "The face of Square Enix?" Yeah, er... I'm not sure about that. I think his problem was that he WANTED her to be, which is why he hyped the hell out of the character, rather than letting fans decide to like her on her own merits, and it put some people off of liking her entirely. Also, it's a little odd to go on about the legendary nature of your character and how you want people to look up to her, making her a godlike entity, and then go out of your way to ensure that the dev team for the third game can make it so that her boobs bounce. I mean, if that's what you like in a game, fine, it just seems kind of inconsistent to switch between wanting players to think of her as an eternal godlike heroic entity and making sure they can watch her bouncing around in skintight outfits.

I agree that it wasn't a good idea to expand the original game into a trilogy before you really had a good idea of how much the fans really wanted a sequel. I mean, I do think FFVII is overrated by fans nowadays-- it was innovative at the time but hasn't held up as well over the years-- and I think Advent Children is mostly a bunch of goofy eye candy, but I have to admit it was also a case of SE listening to their fans, who were overwhelmingly demanding some kind of sequel to FFVII years after the game's release. The follow-ups to XIII were shoved through production before they'd had a chance to get anything close to the level of fan feedback they had gotten asking for a VII sequel. It always seemed to me like they were trying to manufacture that same level of devotion from fans by saturating them with games continuing the XIII story. That whole "Fabula Nova Crystalis" concept or whatever it was seemed really overambitious, and then Agito XIII and Versus XIII turned into completely separate things anyway.

8. JoniCroni

JoniCroni New Member

Sooo in order to getting back into the main topic, I heard that there are a lot of missable items in SnK:FC, and sometimes it's kinda ridiculous, like a book you can only get between two cutscenes that happens almost at the same time.

What about the following games? I really dislike missable stuff, just let me play the game and give me a chance to get everything at the end!

9. omgfloofy

omgfloofy Well-Known Member

Not just missable stuff. There are missable quests- if you want to get full BP, you have to be in the right place at the right time for some quests. One I can think of immediately off of the top of my head is one in Ao no Kiseki.

You can even bypass an entire segment of quests in SC, if you go about things a certain way in one of the chapters- and SC gives you SO little wiggle room to get the top Bracer rank.

10. JoniCroni

JoniCroni New Member

Sounds fun, I guess I'll just go and join the ride! First time I'll play them with no guide, then a second one for the 100%. Which is funny because making a 100% guide for SC will take a huge time.

Is there at least any indication when you get, for example, the 100% on a chapter or any part of the game, like the items, weapons...? At least the quests I guess? Anything that makes you realise when you miss something? It's probably like in FF, right?

Ah, and last question: I know you can import your save file from FC to SC, but what about the other games? Zero -> Ao and Sen -> Sen II maybe?

11. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

Specifically, you have all of 2 BP worth of wiggle room. Skip one quest, miss one hidden quest or don't get a couple of bonus conditions and you're out of luck. Basically, the only possible way to get A Rank without using a guide is if you 1) Talk to every NPC every time you advance the plot and 2) Are omniscient.
    Aside from finding, say, Volume 9 of Gambler Jack and realizing the last one you got was Vol6, no. You'll need a guide to use as a checklist.

There's (very limited) SC to The 3rd transfer, Zero to Ao transfer and some sort of Sen to Sen II transfer but we don't have details on that yet.

12. Augen76

Augen76 New Member

This may be a dumb question. As someone who never owned a PSP and recently now owns a PSV, could I download these games and play them on my Vita?

13. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

Yes, but the Vita's region-locking of PSN makes it a more annoying process than it should be.

14. AnthranDawn

AnthranDawn New Member

what details are known so far concerning the phantom plan?

15. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

The Phantom Blaze Plan is the second part of the Orpheus Final Plan (and we don't know much about that other than it's name) and appears to be a two-part operation.

Zero and Ao spoilers
    'Phantom': The plan to obtain Demiourgos, the Sept-Terion of Mirage (aka Phantom, Illusion or a few other possibilities) which was in Crossbell. As Demiourgos erased itself from existence 1200 years ago, this involved a long process of recreating the thing through alchemy and horrific experiments, using the D∴G Cult as catspaws. Actually this was a pretty hands-off operation as most of the hard work was done by people who aren't actually Ouroboros members, though the mastermind joins the Society at the end of Ao. The Society's involvement was largely restricted to keeping everyone else busy while the final steps to reawaken Demiourgos' power were completed and loaning the conspirators some fancy giant robots for a while. Towards the end of Ao, everyone leaves for the Empire and the second half of the Plan.

Sen spoilers
    'Blaze': With that name we assume the Sept-Terion du jour is probably associated with Fire. We don't know too much about it right now, except that Bleublanc has been helping set things up. We know the name of the Anguis in charge (it's a big spoiler so I've left it out here), we know that kicking off a civil war is apparently All Part Of The Plan and we know that Ouroboros is backing both sides. We assume the plan involves the God Knights in some way because everything about them screams 'pre-Collapse relic' but we're not sure how that might work

16. DMC3444

DMC3444 New Member

Has anyone make the connection between the word "Orpheus" and the Orphic Egg? Of course, it wouldn't answer anything right now, but the two words sound kind of similar, and the Orphic Egg often has a snake around it, and Ouroboros' motif is also, you know, a snake. Just want to throw it out there. Of course, this is probably just my sleep-deprived brain talking, and this is Kiseki, so I'm waiting to be proven wrong.

17. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

Speaking only for myself, I've never delved too deeply into the symbolism of Orpheus (beyond the bare-bones underworld myth I was using to interpret the plan) so I didn't even know that was a thing. Now that you've opened my eyes, I'm going to have to check this out.

18. MatterDestruct

MatterDestruct New Member

Hi! I have some questions about SC and The 3rd:

Second Chapter
    I just beat the game already, but I have some questions about the members of the Legion like, Lucciola and Walter, because I know that Blblanc, Renne and Campanella apper in the next games, but what about Lucciola and Walter? I don't remember looking them again in the next titles (of what I have seen of course). Do you think they can apper again? or they just leave the Legion?

The 3rd
    I just begin this amazing game, I am at the last boss of chapter 1, but I have some questions about this game already.
    1.- For what I understand and read, Kevin is looking for some relics that the Septian Church want, and then this is where he get another partner, Ries, but I don't get what that cube is (the one that the mother of Tita found) is this another relic? and why in the opening, we see this cube falling from the Liberl Ark?
    2.- Maybe this is a stupid question, but it seems so obvious that this character (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BmacHBgCUAA99FN.jpg) is Lowe, the question, it is? I just one a yes or no, because I don't want to hear how he is alive again XD.

I forgot to ask this. I really love the mechanics of the game, but one question, in all the game we are going to stay in the garden of recluse?

19. Karrion42

Karrion42 New Member

I'll throw in some zero/ao questions myself :rolleyes:

In tvtropes it says under Curb-Stomp Battle that Tio defeated Campanella in a Tetris game... What is that about? o.o

What is the Geofront? I've read somewhere that is some kind of underground factory complex, but nothing else.

Who is Joachim Gunther? I've read that he's part of D(insert point triangle here)G cult, so is he part of Orouboros too?

Who is the boy with one thousand names (Lector/Lechter Alandor/Arende @_@) and what is his relationship with Klose?

20. overthebarrier

overthebarrier New Member

Hi!

1. I think they can, yes. For details:
    Lucciola has a brief cameo in Ao, and Walter is mentioned once in Zero.
    2a.
    It's the backup system of the Aureole. There's a whole chart on how it works in the 3rd special collection book.
    2b.
    Your guess is correct.
    In the Garden itself no, in the world that the Garden is a part of yes.

1. This is really worth seeing for yourself and not spoiling the surprise but
    Campanella rigged the room Lloyd & co. were in to explode, mostly for lulz, and promised to disarm the bomb if they could beat him at the puzzle game Pomtto. Tio handled that one. Magnificently.
    2. The Geofront is the underground sewer system/garbage disposal infrastructure that stretches under Crossbell. You learn more about it in Ao.
    It is also a major part of the villains' plan.
    3. Major spoilers for Zero
    Joachim is a doctor at the local hospital who specializes in drugs and psychology. He is also the last survivor of the DG cult and used to survey the experiment results at the various lodges. As a result he was able to synthesize the completed form of the Gnosis drug. He is absolutely not aligned with Ouroboros - who destroyed one of the DG lodges, in fact.
    4. Lector (spelling subject to change without notice) was the president of the student council at Jenis during Klose's first year. He provided the impetus for her to break out of her shell. Sora spoilers
    He is also one of the Iron Breed, Osborne's personal gang of underage secret agents.
    Sen spoilers
    His codename is 'Scarecrow' and he often handles sensitive negotiations for Osborne.