Ask Us About Kiseki

Discussion in 'The Legend of Heroes Series' started by omgfloofy, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

If you think about it for a second, it's actually both. I'll be vague on a couple details that you haven't gotten to yet in CS3
    Emma knows that Vita is doing something with the Divine Knights. Emma also has a fairly solid grasp on where the seven Knights are and knows which ones are easy to awaken and which aren't. Four of the seven are effectively out of reach during the events of CS1 (Testa-Rossa requires an Arnor, one of the remaining three is known to be MIA, another is very difficult to locate and the last is... not one Vita wants) which leaves Valimar, Ordine and Zector. The latter of these is technically available so far as Emma knows (in truth it actually isn't by that point) but it's not located anywhere convenient so it's out regardless. Vita needs at least two Knights for what she's doing. That means that for Emma to find Vita, all she really needs to do is plant herself in either Ordis or Trista, confirm whether the local Knight is still there and then wait for Vita to come to her. Trista makes more sense because Thors is right there and it does offer the opportunity for travel if it becomes necessary.

Yes, it's the same character in all three cases. You really shouldn't read anything into it though, it's an extremely generic one. For some details:
    The 'Thousand' thing with Kevin's new title is explicitly taken from Rufina's title. That they're the same is thus not especially eyebrow-raising. That the Fourth Anguis' title also uses it is pretty sure to be a coincidence. Like I said, the character (千) is entirely generic, it's literally just the way that 'Thousand' is written; it's also used in Testa-Rossa's nickname 'Demon with a Thousand Weapons' (千の武器を持つ魔人). The Fourth's background as sketched out in CS3 doesn't really provide any reason to imagine a link between him and Rufina.

Now, for the longest time I was very convinced that there was a link between that Anguis title and someone else we know about, but that was before Falcom revealed that the bit in Sept Archive where they identified a part of the title (which we'd already heard in Ao) as belonging to the Fifth Anguis was a typo.

2. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

Not a kiseki question but the ys forum is deader than disco and I dont care about the opinions outside this forum much. But you guys play ys9 yet? How does it compare to 8?

Cold_Steel_IV likes this.
  3. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

Actually, I'd been meaning to poke my head in there and add something since yeah, nothing's been said there since the game game out. In very brief terms, I was blown away by a lot that the game has to offer. There are a few things that I thought VIII did better or did differently enough that comparing isn't really fair to either game (one being set on a deserted island and the other largely in the confines of a huge city make for some obvious differences) but for the most part the game is amazing and one of my favorite entries in the series easily. Given that I went in with high expectations after VIII shocked me with how much I loved it, that's saying something.

I'll pull together something a bit more comprehensive later.

Kikki likes this.
  4. nivora

nivora Active Member

if you're talking about the status i'm thinking you're talking about it supposedly works just as how out CP works. The bosses build it up in the background and when they reach 200cp they enter that state, recover hp, buff their stats and probably will do their S-craft the next turn.

5. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

Not exactly, the Japanese guides for CS3 and 4 give the mechanics and like I mentioned earlier it's an HP threshold thing, though different bosses have slightly different triggers. It's treated as a buffing Craft for gameplay purposes.

Bosses in the Cold Steel games very much don't follow the rules the player does when it comes to CP, as can easily be shown any time you get an unwinnable fight where a boss will constantly spam their S-Craft until you're dead once you push them to a certain point. *grumble grumble cheating bastards*

6. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

It's mostly a signifier that they may now do their S-craft in my experience, they don't always unleash it next turn but they probably will before the status ends.

So if anything it's a bit more fair now as it's not completely random they'll drop an S-craft on you like it often was in previous games.
    Them spamming it when you're meant to lose is just a fine way of making it clear you're supposed to, so I have no issues with that one.

7. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I'm certainly not complaining about how they do that any more than I would about unbeatable bosses in Ys (and CS4) getting invulnerability once you're dragged a fight out long enough, just using it to point out that bosses in these games don't actually care about CP. Oh, and on Exaltation mechanics and S-Crafting:
    While bosses being in that state is usually an indicator of when they will and won't use an S-Craft, eventually you'll encounter bosses who will gleefully throw S-Crafts at you when they aren't in Exaltation, just to keep you on your toes.

8. Ringwraith

Interestingly enough however, they do
    keep track of enemy BPs right as far as I can tell.

9. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

Yeah, the game does keep track of those. I suspect largely because following the way it works for the player gives you an indication of when popping some defensive buffs or healing would be a really good idea.

10. LrdDimwit

LrdDimwit Member

Eh, there's more reasons to do it than just an achievement. It's for similar reasons as old Resident Evil games penalizing you (game ranking wise) for saving, or Maximo: Ghosts to Glory making you pay to save. I'm not sure how well it accomplishes that objective, but I can see the logic.

It's to ratchet up the tension. Never mind the achievement, if you want to play on Nightmare, you want a tense experience because that's part of the fun for you. Now, if you can change the difficulty freely, then - even if it disables the achievement - there's less tension in Nightmare. Any time you want, you can decide 'eh, screw it', drop the difficulty to Easy, breeze past whatever you'd rather not deal with, then ratchet it back up. Just knowing that you have this ability at your beck and call makes the game less tense. The stakes are smaller.

Some games with Nightmare difficulty levels don't even let you change out of them once you've started (even if they'll let you do so for other difficulties). But making people start over cause they guessed wrong at the difficulty select screen way back at the beginning (possibly before the player's ever even played it) is frowned upon nowadays. So the compromise now is this: Okay, if you really can't handle it, we'll let you drop out of Nightmare. But you can't come back in. Again, for the kind of player who plays Nightmare for a tense challenge, not just to platinum the game, the idea is to adds tension: You won't be able to get back to your preferred difficulty setting if you wimp out. You'd better stick with it.

I'm not sure how well this works for Trails, especially Cold Steel, littered as it is with such a crushing wave of overpowered stuff that it's actually kind of hard to avoid using it. But that's the idea.

11. Ringwraith

Except no-one is forcing you to set it to that high, and if something is an unexpected difficulty spike you can't get past and your options are restart the whole game or continue to beat your head against the wall for an indeterminate amount of time, the most commonly taken option is quit and never play again.
    Giving people more options how to play a game is very rarely a bad thing.
    The "correct" difficulty level is the one you have the most fun playing at, if you're not enjoying the process, maybe you need to change it. If the game prevents you from doing that for no real reason, I don't see how that's a positive.

12. Trails of Persona

Trails of Persona Active Member

So a question about out favorite thief of the series with some information I noticed from Sky 3rd.

There's the door where we learn a bit about Blueblanc's past and one of the things we learn is that he abducted a Marquis wife, and I was wondering if perhaps it was one of the Marquis of Erebonia? I assume it would be that since he's more famous for his exploits in the empire and the nobility system being big there. Not sure if this gets answered at all in the Cold Steel games but something that stuck in my mind from seeing that door again.

13. LrdDimwit

LrdDimwit Member

Which is why that's not what the game does. At any time, you can take the game off of Nightmare. You just won't be able to put it back.

If you want to play on Nightmare, you have to keep it on Nightmare. Part of the challenge of Nightmare is you don't get to do half-measures; once you crank the difficulty down, you're not putting it back. But you're never forced to choose between restarting the whole game, and getting stuck indefinitely. You always have that third option.

14. Ringwraith

There's no good reason for that as far as I'm concerned as I already mentioned.
    "There's an achievement locked to doing the game entirely on it" isn't a good reason, seeing as Nightmare just fudges numbers, and it is possible to make it so such an achievement would require you to not change it at any point (which is how pretty much all of them work).
    So it could be better.

Plus you sometimes want to see how tough a particular fight is on Nightmare without having to replay the entire game again. Options are good! You better have a good reason for restricting them.

15. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

Unless there's some missable NPC dialogue I have yet to find, this hasn't been directly referred to yet. However, we do have some potential leads thanks to the back half of Cold Steel.
    First off, as of CS3 we've now met all the leaders of the Four Houses. We also know that Bleublanc likes to steal things he feels are unappreciated. Gerhart Rogner and Fernand Hyarms both come across as generally awesome people and it's hard to imagine either of them mistreating a wife to the point that they'd elope with Bleublanc no matter what guise he used or didn't use. However, we also got confirmation that there are nobles outside the big four families who also hold the title of Marquis, which means it doesn't have to be one of them. Given that Ballard is one of them, is an utter ass and was actually introduced in the same game that we got the Phantom Thief B Report, I wouldn't be surprised if it was his wife that Bleublanc ran off with. I just can't recall whether or not any dialogue ever says a thing about Ballard's marital situation.

16. jumpyjunpeii

jumpyjunpeii Member

It might be reading into things too much, but there's an NPC in Roer cathedral in CS2 who remarks that a nun looks quite similar to a noble lady who disappeared some years ago. Could be a stretch, though.

17. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

I wouldnt think thatsba stretch at all except i dont know of thwt happens outise (cs2 spoiler)
    finding out its angelica

Edit. Sorry. Phone text

18. Ringwraith

I think the implication as they're talking about someone who disappeared years ago, they're talking about someone else.

19. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

So it is outside roer? I cant remember but I kinda remember that dialogue just not when. I think that isnt a stretch at all but jumpy is bang on

20. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

Early chapter 3 is a oops I mixed salt and sugar gag.. i think this happened in every tails game so far. Seems a bit lame to use over and over. This zome kind of japanese cultural thing I dont get?