Ask Us About Kiseki

Discussion in 'The Legend of Heroes Series' started by omgfloofy, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

Yep, floofy beat me to it by minutes. :D

2. omgfloofy

omgfloofy Well-Known Member

It's been awhile since we've had an ARCUS Crosslink moment on a forum, hasn't it? lol

3. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

Would that make it an Orbal Network Crosslink?

4. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Question about Rean's age at the start of CS III. It's really not a spoiler, imo, since it's a question based on loose assumptions, not a statement of anything that happens, but I'll put it behind a cut anyway, just in case. If the answer would take big story spoilers, then I'll go without an answer, but if not...

This has been bothering me for quite a while. Ever since I learned that Rean would be the new Class 7's teacher. Rean is supposed to be...19? Or is he 20 at the start of CS III? Either way, he seems VERY young to be a teacher to kids who must be 15+ for the most part. If I'd had a teacher THAT young when I was in high school, they would have been a bit of a joke. Even Sara must have been in the 25-28 range, not someone basically just leaving their teens behind. Is his age something we're just supposed to overlook or not think about, or has he gotten such a great reputation/sense of authority in the 2 or 3 year gap that his youth no longer feels like an obstacle?

If I'm not supposed to think about it (if this is just a situation where we're supposed to suspend disbelief) then I'll try not to, but the idea of a 19-20 year old being a teacher for kids whose average age is probably around 16 (?) is...wacky. I love Rean to bits, but he's not exactly an imposing or impressive guy that calls for immediate respect. On the contrary, he's very self-effacing. It feels like he should be a teacher's assistant more than the teacher himself. Unless...maybe he was called upon to teach because he has a speciality that makes him more apt than anyone else, in spite of his age? Like knowing how to fight in a mech, or something?

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  5. AttentionDeficitGuy

AttentionDeficitGuy Well-Known Member

Response from someone who hasn't played CSIII:

From what I've seen, the "young teacher just out of highschool" is a common trope in Japanese media - I couldn't say how much it reflects the reality of teaching jobs in Japan, but it's definitely something I've seen a good deal of in anime and such.
    Also:
    To your question of "has he gotten such a great reputation/sense of authority in the 2 or 3 year gap that his youth no longer feels like an obstacle?", I would say that's almost certainly the case, given that he's the hero of the Erebonian Civil War, was a frontline operative in the annexation of Crossbell, is the Aidios-damn Ashen Chevalier, and is probably at least an honorary Ironblood by the time of CSIII. When you look at the authority wielded by characters like Lechter and Claire, who are of a similar age (Lechter in particular couldn't have been older than 21 during the events of CS1 and CS2) and arguably don't even have a resume quite on the same level as Rean's, his position doesn't seem as farfetched in my opinion.

And going into pure guesswork territory, I would say his expertise as an Awakener and an ARCUS user are probably two of his biggest qualifications as a military instructor - both ARCUS units and Soldats are experimental new technology that I see Erebonia wanting to make standard for their military, especially for spec ops units like the new Class VII seems to be largely focused on training for. Given that, who better to teach the new Class VII than someone who is strongly gifted with both, is an experienced leader (Rean always ended up taking command during field studies and during Class VII's operations during the civil war), and is firmly in Osborne's pocket?

6. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Yeah, I agree that Rean has done some amazing things, and probably does have the ability and experience to teach. As of the end of CS II, though, I didn't have the impression that he was a widely recognized or respected figure. Like, people wouldn't see him and be saying 'Wow, is that Rean Schwarzer?' the way they probably would if they thought they'd just spotted Cassius Bright or Victor Arseid. It's more like, those who have heard of him are curious about him, but not in awe of anything he's done. But maybe I just didn't get to see enough of how people react to him after everything that happened in II.

Right now, the 'he's got experience with specialities' is what makes him being a teacher believable to me. I don't really mind that much if it's just something we're supposed to accept because it's how Japanese manga/anime/etc works, but if there IS an actual, sensible reason for it, all the better. Also, he could be a bit older than I realized at the start of CS III. So I'm just wondering. :)

EDIT: There's also the fact that I've only played CS II all the way through once (am waiting on Relentless for a second play), so a bunch of what happened in the second half of the CS II is pretty jumbled in my thoughts and I've forgotten some of it. Maybe Rean was more respected than I remember.

7. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

There's also, somewhat following up on the above spoiler tag
    They specifically used Rean as a symbol and made sure he got a moniker in the media and everything, so he'll be definitely known by reputation as the "war hero".
    If it's one thing they're good at, it's leveraging public perception.

Also probably doesn't hurt they're using a pilot of the original inspiration for their mechs as a military teacher.

Kikki likes this.
  8. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

Teaching right out of college is common in Japan (as is teaching in Japan, for foreigners), and with the number of hours actually spent in school a high-school graduate in Japan has probably spent almost as much time in school as a college graduate in the US. Thors is clearly modeled after Japanese schools, as can be seen in the class structure and the number of days the students are working. Seeing that Zemuria doesn't have much in the way of formal education past the teenage years (except for specialized schools like the one Machias attends after gradution, or something like RIT or St. Ursula) Rean is about as educated as most people are going to be. Plus the aforementioned reasons why he's seen as good teacher material.
    Rean very much is recognized as the Ashen Chevalier, thanks to Osborne's media campaign and his high-profile participation in the annexation of Crossbell. It makes for some interesting moments in CS3.

Lechter is actually 22 as of CS1/2.
    I could say a bit more but it's all probably going to come out very soon given how the website and reveals are tracking the way things were done in Japan a couple years back. xD

Kikki likes this.
  9. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Hmm, so...I had gotten the impression that Rean would be well-known among those in the know. People in high position or on the front lines of the military, and special operatives and so on. But I thought that most people might not recognize him/know who he was. Perhaps by the end of II he was already more famous than that and I just missed noticing how people were reacting to him? I don't really have a problem believing he could get hired since the people in a position to hire him would be well aware of his value, but if he's more broadly well-known and respected than I had realised, it would calm my dubiousness about him being able to get the respect of his students. As things are I can't help but wonder if his students might not look at him, about three years older than them, and think 'why should I listen to this guy?'

Well, it's just something I continue to wonder about because it's weird to me, lol, and I was wondering if the game makes Rean believable as a teacher. Of course, I'm gonna be 41 soon, so this kind of thing gets just a little harder to swallow every year. I'm sure if it's written into the game well, it won't be a sticking point for me any more. Plus I really do need to replay II. I did the first half 3 times but the most important part is the latter half, which I've only seen once and only half remember. Well, June 4 is not that far off. Perhaps a replay alone will make the whole situation seem less peculiar to me since info tends to sink in better the second time I see it.

EDIT for Yotaka posting while I was still typing: Okay, so he IS more broadly well-known than I thought, then. I guess his students won't be too scornful of him, in that case. :) Thanks, everybody.

10. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

I think it's also worth considering that... this sounds like overthinking it probably but Trails is generally so fleshed out I'll give them credit for thinking of it, but in any case. Many things in Zemura look modern or even futuristic due to the boom in technology thanks to orbments, quartz, etc. But before that, while there were some signs of industrial age technology like fuel and steam power, I feel like the normal time setting was closer to something more middle aged with monarchies across most of the world, militaries still largely being armed by melee weaponry, etc. As you go back further in time, life expectency was shorter, and it was very normal for people do behave more like fully grown adults at younger ages, not just getting married, but doing hard labor, being soldiers or, teaching.

Val the Moofia Boss likes this.
  11. LrdDimwit

LrdDimwit New Member

That actually happens in real life too. I unfortunately can't remember her name anymore, but we had a fresh-out-of-college teacher join my high school. Because a different teacher left, she ended up getting assigned a class full of seniors. It ... went poorly. She was barely a few years older than any of us (four years plus a year of student teaching) and the Mantle of Authority does not come standard. It's a skill, and it's not one they really teach in school (or at least I'm pretty sure they don't). She... did not have any ranks in said skill. Combined with some of the bad apples being in the class (because they liked the other teacher, who left, and the class was kind of his baby) she really struggled to maintain control.

To be a teacher, in a lot of places all you need is a Bachelor's and a year of student teaching. In many places the government wants you to have a Master's, but is willing to let you work without it as long as you get it within X number of years (i.e. evening classes and what not).

And in a place like Zemuria, that doesn't really have a formal system of graduate education as an organized thing... What do you want in an instructor for a military academy? Military experience. So where do you go to get it? Someone like Rean is a great fit. He doesn't want to go career military, has oodles of relevant experience, and would be interested in taking that kind of a job.

I'll put it this way - Thors was willing to hire Sara, and Rean is much less of a stretch. (And if you say 'Sara only got hired cause she had political backing', well, Rean does too.)

Val the Moofia Boss likes this.
  12. Kikki

Kikki Active Member

Perhaps the way I asked was misleading. I haven't been wondering about the believability of him being hired. Considering his connections, even if he had no experience or skill at all, he could still get hired. What I was really thinking about was if his students would take him seriously as a teacher, considering not only his age, but his personality. To me, Rean isn't someone who commands respect. He's super polite and self-effacing. Which I love, but... that his fellow students always pushed him into the position of leader never really felt very convincing, to me.

I mean, he's the player character and he happens to be my favourite of the bunch to boot, but the game never made me feel that he had any notable leadership quality to him, other than a strong sense of doing what he thinks is right, or his duty, which doesn't really have anything to do with leading others, imo. It often felt more like he was forced into leadership as though it were a chore no one else wanted, but he was too nice to refuse doing. I mean, if you compare him to Estelle, for example, a total bull in the proverbial china shop...it's no wonder at all that she charges ahead and ends up in the lead. But Rean has always been pushed there. (Perhaps this is why so many people seem to think Rean is a boring main character? I don't find him boring at all, but I must admit I also don't find him to be very convincing leader material. Though his struggle to be a leader even though it's not natural to him...imo...are part of what make him interesting.)

So I was simply curious if it feels believable or not, to have him as a teacher. If he'll seem like an experienced adult to his students. Right now it's going to be something I'll have to see for myself, I guess, as I didn't get a good sense of his reputation at the end of CS II. I'll play it again and see when Relentless comes out to get a refresher.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  13. AttentionDeficitGuy

And now for the part of the program where I straight-up ask for a CS3 spoiler, because I think I've figured something out and I don't want to wait half a year to see if I'm really as clever as I think I am.

Long story short, now that I've played the 3rd, given Gaius' red tattoo, which unless I'm mistaken nobody else in his tribe has, combined with the fact that apparently he's being scouted by the Gralsritter... does Gaius have a Stigma?

14. Ghaleon

Ghaleon Active Member

Yes

AttentionDeficitGuy likes this.
  15. AttentionDeficitGuy

I am clever and hyped.

16. nivora

nivora Active Member

it's not the tattoo however
    but if you replay CS1 and 2 you will see there is a lot more foreshadowing towards it than people realise

17. AttentionDeficitGuy

I am slightly less clever than I thought. Only slightly, though.

18. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

To add to all the above:
    I can't find the source right now but Kondo mentioned that Gaius' tattoos are a tribal custom and thus not a sign of anything special. However, there's lots of evidence in the first two games that there's Something Special about Gaius (starting with the fact that if you poke around Trista right at the start of CS1, the very first place you can encounter Gaius is in the church) and CS3 throws so much foreshadowing at you that it boggles my mind that people have claimed with a straight face that the reveal that he has a Stigma comes out of nowhere.

19. omgfloofy

omgfloofy Well-Known Member

On the previous stuff, too:
    I do recall that there was a pretty large collective 'huh…' with English and Japanese speaking fans when Gaius' art showing the tattoo was first revealed. I even think that Kondo's 'tribal tattoo' comment came before CS1 was released... I remember that the intention to steer the conversation *away* from 'Does Gaius have a stigma?' started almost immediately. …which is, ultimately, pretty hilarious when you think about it.

20. AttentionDeficitGuy

Curses! Now that I confirmed my suspicions, I'm back to spoiler-dodging, but those spoiler tags look so enticing...