Ask Us About Kiseki

Discussion in 'The Legend of Heroes Series' started by omgfloofy, Jan 29, 2014.

1. ZeRakun

ZeRakun Member

English localization question:
    Some names in the Erebonian Arc always struck me as strange, such as "Millium" and "Machias".

* Someday I saw the katakana for "Millium" and noticed it was ミリアム, which is exactly how you'd put the French first name "Myriam" in katakana (english form "Miriam"). Do we have any hard evidence that her name should be written as "Millium"? Letting her having a name I can relate to would have certainly made the character more bearable to me...

* Machias comes from マチアス in a pretty straightforward fashion. However, "Machias" is a very, very uncommon name, whereas the phonetically close "Mathias" (or "Matthias") is much, much more common. So, again, what motivated the decision to translate マチアス to Machias when even the Japanese wikipedia page for Matthias lists マチアス as an alternative form of マティアス? I understand that Falcom chooses to use the "ti" directly sometimes (as in ティオ), but I don't think we should expect much consistency when it comes to given names (someone at Falcom maybe simply preferred マチアス over the alternate form).

2. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

Both of those romanizations come straight from Falcom; XSEED generally sticks with what they've provided unless it's manifestly Engrish. The immediate examples from these games that spring to mind are 'Drothy', 'Blbranc' and 'Dubarry'.

http://falcom.com/sen/chara/main05/index.html
    http://falcom.com/sen/chara/sub16/index.html

And as you can see from the link, it's マキアス not マチアス which makes 'Machias' much more natural than 'Matthias'. If it was written the latter way though, you'd have a good argument for them intending Matthias.

In related and current news, you can easily argue that they always intended for ノーザンブリア to be Northumbria (which we got as North Ambria) but then they went and officially romanized it as Nothrenblia according to the CS3 trailer. :p

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  3. ZeRakun

ZeRakun Member

Oh, I see. Machias being マキアス in the original pretty much settles the matter.
    Regarding ミリアム, the "Millium" romanization compared to "Myriam" gives the same kind of "engrish" feeling as e.g. "Sharon Kluger", but maybe it's just my French ears here, and given her peculiar background, she may as well have an uncommon name (also, we're speaking of a series with names like "Olivert", so yeah...)

Thank you for taking the time to thoroughly answer my silly questions :).

4. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Well-Known Member

Gosh, I knew it sometimes be grim up north but I never realised it got that bad. :p

5. nivora

nivora Active Member

I understand where you come from as Millium but i think it fits more for her than "Myriam" as her personality and ancestry.

6. Karrion

Karrion New Member

So I've just beaten Sun Door 5 and have a question, I'll mark it as spoiler so not to spoil the surprise inside ;)

Are the questions the same as in the japanese version? If not, what's the difference? Man, those were absolutely nitpicky and perfect if invented by the peeps at XSEED.
    Oh, and
    [​IMG]

I don't think 'intentioning' is a real word, Campanella.

7. Ringwraith

Ah, the ing has drifted onto a word too early!

8. LrdDimwit

LrdDimwit Member

Actually, considering what 'myriad' means, "Myriam" actually might be more fitting for her as a character. But it suffers from the problem that it's not a name that a real person would actually pick. "Millium" isn't really either, but it's the sort of word that *might*, it just *isn't*, which makes it a good name for a fantasy world like Zemuria. "Myriam" is a name for a robot or something.

9. Karrion

Karrion New Member

"Miriam" is actually a pretty common name here in Spain.

LrdDimwit likes this.
  10. Ringwraith

If they were going for evoking something like "myriad", then Millium is actually probably spot-on for making it sound like a not-quite name, retaining the idea of referring to "thousands". Accidentally or not, (as it also just sounds similar to the original name anyway).

11. nivora

nivora Active Member

What a new USA-centric sounding POV. Myriam is a common name where i live.

LrdDimwit likes this.
  12. Thud

Thud New Member

In the Netherlands it would be something like Mirjam, which is a pretty common name as well.

13. nivora

nivora Active Member

dat had ik dus ook in mijn hoofd ;):p

14. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

The questions are all the same as are Campy's snarky responses for the most part. Some of the wrong answers are necessarily changed because the wordplay doesn't translate directly and XSEED poked some fun at localization changes in other answers. But on the whole what you see in English is what you'd have seen if you played it in Japanese.

The one about FC's final boss is a good example of how the few changes work; The three incorrect answers are all plays on the 'dream' concept while the original Japanese used nonsense words made from combining Japanese adjectives with parts of the real name, which wouldn't have made sense in English. And the bit where Campanella says that Reverie's real name is Traumerei is an addition (because XSEED changed it in localization) but the fact that he made a side comment about how it's the German for Dream was there in Japanese as well.

15. Thud

Thud New Member

Verdraaid, je komt ze ook overal tegen die Nederlanders. Lijkt wel vakantie. :p

16. Gu4n

Gu4n Member

De Nederlanders komen als paddestoelen uit de grond hier. Hoor je dat, @Erpy?

17. Marx-93

Marx-93 Active Member

The Netherlands are invading! Quickly, to arms before they do a Glorious Revolution 2.0!

18. zwabbit

zwabbit Active Member

You say that as if it would be a bad thing.

nivora and Marx-93 like this.
  19. LrdDimwit

LrdDimwit Member

So it is. Derived from the biblical name Miriam, if Google is to be believed. I stand corrected.

20. Erpy

Erpy Active Member

Als paddestoelen of als paddo's? :p

I'll stop now.

nivora and Gu4n like this.