Ask GT! The Thread!

Discussion in 'Freedom Planet' started by Gabby, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Gabby

Gabby New Member

Hello all! Gabby from GalaxyTrail here. Happy to answer your questions about Freedom Planet and our upcoming Nintendo Switch release!

(Thank you XSEED folks, you’ve helped us out so much!)

2. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

Good to have you aboard, Gabby! It's absolutely been our pleasure.

-Tom

3. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

Nobody has any questions for GalaxyTrail? Well, then I figure I'll get things started by going over a little of what Sara and I talked about at E3, and any questions that might arise from there can be posted in response, to be answered by either myself (if they're specifically related to the publishing of the Switch version) or Gabby or Sara (if they're related to the game itself or any other version).

First off, here's our E3 trailer, featuring footage recorded by yours truly and made to look good by our trailer guru, Billy:

The game is available through GalaxyTrail digitally on PC, PS4, and Wii U, was released physically in limited quantities through IndieBox on PC, and will be published by us digitally on Switch this fall.

It's a story-heavy platformer inspired by classic 16- and 32-bit games from the likes of Sega, Treasure, etc., featuring over an hour of fully-voiced cutscenes presented almost like a Saturday morning cartoon -- it kind of feels like you get to watch a mini episode of a really good Saturday morning cartoon between each of the game's enormous stages. If you don't give a crap about the story, however, the game's got you covered: just play in "Classic Mode," and you can play the levels straight through, without viewing any of the cutscenes along the way.

There are three playable characters: Lilac (with a focus on speed), Carol (with a focus on agility), and Milla (with a focus on technique).

Lilac (the purple dragon) can run super-fast and has a "Dragon Boost" move that allows her to fling through the air (or across the ground) at breakneck speed, bouncing off of walls and ceilings like a ping-pong ball (which can of course be used to access otherwise inaccessible areas). She can also spin-glide through the air as a double-jump, which damages enemies, gives her jump a little more height, and also provides a smooth glide across larger chasms.

Carol (the green wildcat) can leap up walls, lunge at enemies, and use her claws to attack, including an extended attack that gives her temporary invincibility (meaning you can use it to dodge attacks if your timing is good!). She has no double-jump of any kind, but considering she can scale walls, she doesn't exactly need one, either. Carol is the only one of the three characters to have her own unique power-ups: there are "jump pads" scattered around each level that serve to instantly warp her around when utilized effectively -- but more importantly, there are red gas canisters scattered here and there in each level which, when picked up, immediately spawn her motorcycle, which will last for the rest of the stage if you can manage not to get her hit too much in the meantime. This motorcycle completely defies gravity, with the ability to ride up walls and on ceilings, jump, climb ladders, and even double-jump with a damaging spin attack. You can also use some of your vitality meter to nitro-boost for added speed and damage, allowing you to mow down enemies.

And the unlockable Milla (the white puppy) -- my personal favorite -- is a character with a wide variety of moves that can be combined super-effectively to make her an absolute powerhouse, but take a lot of practice to really get the hang of. Because she's so powerful, she also has a smaller life bar than Lilac or Carol, so she's pretty difficult to master, but really rewarding when you do so. Her moveset includes: the ability to fly for a short time by rapidly flapping her ears, the ability to instantly generate a directional shield that can reflect enemy bullets, the ability to explode that shield into a small laser blast, the ability to generate a green cube out of thin air and toss it at enemies, the ability to absorb that green cube into her shield, the ability to explode THAT shield into a HUGE laser blast, and the ability to dig in grassy areas for buried treasure. It's hard to really explain her, but once you play her, you'll either be hooked or confused. If you're like me, you'll just want to play her exclusively forevermore, before she's super-duper fun. ;)

As someone who worked on Ys Origin, I can't help but make the parallel here, so for Ys Origin fans: Lilac is Yunica, Carol is Hugo, and Milla is Toal. This comparison... honestly works surprisingly well on some levels!

Each character gets a total of 12 stages to play through (9 if you count the last 4 as one big final stage, but they're separated in-game, so I count them as separate), and each stage is enormous, easily lasting between 10 and 20 minutes (or longer) to clear and containing at least one miniboss + one boss, usually with the music altering to an arranged version of itself after the halfway point. The stages aren't always exactly the same for each of the characters, either: while most are, there are points in the story when the three characters split up and go their separate ways, resulting in some unique stages for each character. Milla gets a unique starter level that differs from the one Lilac and Carol play through, for example, and Lilac gets a completely unique stage 7 while Carol and Milla share a stage of their own during this time.

(Note that I mistakenly told some people at E3 that each character gets a total of 14 stages to play through, when 14 is actually the total number of stages in the game; that was my mistake, and I apologize for any confusion!)

Because of the wide variety of stages, the three playable characters, and the robust story mode (with some unique cutscenes for each character), the whole experience will take most people well over 15 hours to complete, making this a rather exceptionally meaty game for its genre.

...I think that about covers the basic info I told people at E3, but if Gabby or Sara have anything to add, or if anyone has any specific questions, please feel free to post in here. This game is superb, and I couldn't recommend it more highly.

-Tom

KlausRealta likes this.
  4. Ammy175

Ammy175 Well-Known Member

Haven't played it yet, but I might just give it a try on the Switch.

Anyway, I guess I have a question: how did you come up with the name Freedom Planet? I'm kinda curious how game devs go about naming their game.

5. Gabby

Gabby New Member

The choice was actually entirely random. Strife was just thinking of what a cool game name could be and that's what he went with.

6. David Bryan

David Bryan New Member

Freedom planet is one of the combat-based platform adventure game. It is pretty great, good gameplay, good graphics, and good storyline overall. This game has colorful, vibrant, and very nice sounding game, so get more information about this story before playing it.

7. avensis

avensis New Member

A game that I like a lot, the story is fascinating, the music is really good, we feel the tension rising during the last levels, the difficulty is well suited to learn the basics of the character.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019