Anyone going to college? What's your major?

Discussion in 'Mostly Harmless (Serious Discussion)' started by MrDetective, Aug 9, 2016.

1. MrDetective

MrDetective Member

OK... I talked to a business advisor. She said that double majoring is not possible because that would exceed the limit of units I am allowed to take. Thanks a lot for the useless GE classes, guys. :mad: So the only thing I can do now is to continue to major in Japanese and minor in Finance. I forgot to ask her if it's possible to major in Finance after I am done with Japanese, but I don't have high hopes for that. She mentioned something about how I can choose to pursue a Master of Business Administration or something similar.

I am really worried now. Perhaps it would have been a lot better if I chose Finance earlier. Major in Finance and minor in Japanese makes more sense, not the other way around. o_O But then again the career advisor last week said that I can still get experience and internship even with a Japanese degree. Is this possible? It's not like I have any other way to go. :oops: I don't think I can even get a certificate for a minor. Is getting an AA better than just minoring?

2. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

All I can say, is that I have yet to see a job description for a career-based job, where they will take anything less than a Bachelor's. To be honest, I'm not even sure what the purpose of an AA even is, anymore. Sure, I'll it on my resume and such, but it's almost like a graduation of "pre-university", as far as the real world is concerned :/ Like a slightly better high school diploma: doesn't mean much. And yeah, the system all stinks. Actually *doing* the work is not at all as hard as it is to get INTO said work :/

3. MrDetective

MrDetective Member

So I just came back from my appointment. The advisor has made it clear that a second major is absolutely impossible, since I haven't even done anything related to business yet. And basically what the other advisor said a few weeks ago. Internships, connections, experience are more important, that kind of stuff. :eek: Then she asks how Finance minor is going to help me with my Japanese, since I said I thought about being a translator. I kinda want to do both, and at least have Finance as a backup plan. On the way home, I suddenly consider the idea of minoring in International Business instead.

Perhaps I should just stick with Finance? This is the requirements for IB minor:
    http://web.csulb.edu/divisions/aa/catalog/current/cba/international_business/fin_um02.html
    Seems like it focuses on either marketing or management... :confused:I feel like Finance has a clearer focus, maybe...

I plan on seeing a career counselor again one last time before I make up my mind. Just wanna see what you guys would think is a "better" choice. o_O

4. Ryos

Ryos Active Member

If you have to go with one or the other, Finance is a much better sell for employers.

5. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

^ Yeah, finance is something that is always in demand with businesses. I see job listings for it all the time.

6. MrDetective

MrDetective Member

OK... I have a problem...
    Apparently, the introductory class, Business Finance, has a few prerequisites like Intro Accounting and Econ. These are only required for business majors. Since I only want to minor, I get to skip them. I thought nothing of it, until I asked my professor what I can expect from an intro finance class. He simply listed the prerequisites. I asked others on another forum and they said that while it's okay to skip, I would be in trouble if everyone understands the basics and I don't. Hell, I only started learning how to read a financial statement a few days ago after they told me that. :eek: Basically, it's doable, but it's going to be difficult. I thought since this is an intro class, they would teach me from the beginning. :oops:

So business experts, please tell me: would a finance class require you to know a lot of stuff from accounting and economic? I am not exactly savvy with business stuff, either. God helps me... :rolleyes:

7. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Let's just say that finance was the toughest class I had, and really struggled in it. Yes, there IS a lot of accounting and econ basics in it, so you do have to understand the basic principles of those. Accounting itself I didn't find too bad, but econ? Ew...

8. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

Stoked to get back into school later this year, studying business and Japanese. :)

9. oaristos

oaristos New Member

I'm working on my master's degree in Portuguese. I'm very excited that I'm going to be done in May!

10. papa box

papa box Member

every year I tell myself Im going to do real adult college and networking soon to advance my potential in x and every year i am forced to inch uncomfortably closer to the realization that I have no potential and will always have to work two FT-hours-but-PT-benefits-and-pay retail jobs living with my family until i kill, myself, sooner and sooner.

that was a downer sorry pretend i posted horses or those small horses instead i guess