Anyone going to college? What's your major?

Discussion in 'Mostly Harmless (Serious Discussion)' started by MrDetective, Aug 9, 2016.

1. flarecde

flarecde Member

Best part is they will then lament on management forums about how there's no qualified candidates for the positions. Positions that involve knowledge of multi-million dollar proprietary software that could only possible be learned by on-the-job training. But gods forbid their company be the one to actually do said training. Ugh!

Sorry, I guess I'm just a little bitter :p. These days I wonder if college is even worth it... many people would be better off going to trade school. They can't outsource plumbing and electrical work!

2. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

At least there is usually a lot of financial aid for college (my four years should be "free"); if trade schools were not such bad investments monetarily right now they would be a lot better option...

3. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

...until the robots are able to do it cheaper and more efficiently than human hands >_> Then again, I guess there will always be people who need to learn how to make and maintain said robots. All in all: more tech/engineering jobs for all!

4. Ryos

Ryos Active Member

Agree on all fronts. I just applied to a job today where one of the requirements was asking for a particular skill I know is basically null and void in 45 days. I'm pretty sure they aren't looking for that since it's not like I'm starting right away even if I get the job.

YMMV. Outsourcing is a huge concern in a lot of places though. But I would say that a technical trade like electrician or plumbing or whatever is in high demand because most go into white collar jobs.

If it makes you feel any better, the current position I'm in now started as a paid internship. It's a good way to get your foot in the door. It's not exactly glamorous, but it beats retail.

5. flarecde

flarecde Member

By that point the robots will probably just get rid of us, to stop us from complaining about broken kitchen sinks.

6. papa box

papa box Member

it is weird watching shows from the early and mid 90's where like secretaries and food workers and such have their own places or even houses like.... huh??? What?!?! WHAT

7. FallenAngelSix

FallenAngelSix Member

I majored in Computer Science as an undergraduate, and I'm now working on my Master's in Math&CS. I spent about six months after graduation looking for a job, but ran into the typical problems. I have a background in machine learning, but most positions in AI development I've seen require a Master's or PhD, so it was either go back to school or continue applying for jobs while trying to learn the skills needed to work in some other tech area that doesn't interest me. I've always had a very narrow interest in the CS field, really only being interested in AI and game development, and at this point I'd rather change my area of study than make a career working as a code monkey at some financial corporation. If I still can't get a foot in the door at a company doing real AI work like Google or whatever after getting my second degree, I might just continue on to a PhD. That would also give me the option of going into academics to do my own research if I preferred.

The first thing the robots will do once they gain sentience is engineer new robots to manufacture and maintain themselves. Seriously though, some day robots are going to replace every single one of us in the workforce. It won't happen within our lifetimes, but it's a problem that is only ever going to get worse. Instead of sticking our head in the sand as always and trying to pretend the problem doesn't exist until we can't anymore, we should be trying to come up with ways to cope with it.

8. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

Been on break from school since receiving my associates degree (been out a little over a year and a half) after a late start, so hopefully I will finish a bachelor's before 30? I tend not to worry about it, school is great, but what's also great is skills. So while I'm not in school, I'm taking Japanese courses through the Japanese Society branch in my city (or soon to be, teaching myself hiragana and katakana until then), teaching myself how to do some basic electrical work (fixing consoles/handheld modding) so I can put that all on my resume in the meantime.

School is great, but it doesn't entirely prepare you for the real world, which I didn't appreciate much.

9. DustyStarr

DustyStarr Well-Known Member

Cope with the robots? We should try to bring it down before it all begins! Who the fuck wants some Skynet bullshit happening? Fight the power, people!

10. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

How about on Friends? They barely have jobs and can afford LARGE NYC apartments?? It was always a joke with the show, of course :p Only like, maybe Chandler had a good enough job to support the rent.

We missed the boom guys :/ We got the best cartoons and junk in the 90's as kids, but all those outta college around that time had it SO GOOD.

11. papa box

papa box Member

yeah but now they're REAL OLD and may not ever live to have robot pals, is what the optimistic side of me would like to truly think

12. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Applied to another job tonight. There was another one, but sometimes I feel a little iffy about applying to startups right away... I feel like I need to look into them more, just to make sure there's no risk or anything.

13. -Izanagi-

-Izanagi- Member

I started going to university in 2004.
    At that time, my parents forced me into economics.
    As someone that sucks at math, this is definitely the wrong program for me.
    As the years of failing gone by, I switch to Political Science but already too late...
    My grades had already gone down a bottomless pit.
    I dropped out of university and college in 2010.

14. Theswweet

Theswweet Active Member

Starting my next semester on the 22nd.

15. MrDetective

MrDetective Member

Oh, my... This thread received a lot more attention than I expected. :cool:

I know just having a Japanese degree, and not to mention the lack of practice means that I am not exactly very good, isn't enough to get me a high-salary job. I talked to a career counselor today, regarding which of the three choices Accounting, Finance, and Marketing is right for me. He said that having a degree is nice to prove that I am book-smart, but employers will want to hire people with actual experience. So, even if I just have a Japanese degree, if I have experience doing accounting or financial related job, or similar internships, I would still be hired. :confused: He also said that majoring in another field is going to take me a long time, so he advised me to minor in Accounting or Finance, along with my Japanese major. I don't know if I should choose to do this or not. I am still considering which one to take, between Accounting and Finance. But I think I might play it safe by majoring, not minoring. But do you guys think what he said is right? I don't think an advisor would give false advice, but I am not sure if minoring is a good idea...

He basically described accounting as writing a check book, keeping track of what was spent. Finance is planning things out and keeping track of the stock market. I don't know if I am interested in either one... But I gotta make a choice. :oops:

He said Business Calculus is even below Pre-Calc., and closer to Statistic. I could handle Pre-Calc. to a certain extent, but never took Stats. so I don't know. But to be an accountant, you need to pass a certain test to get a license or whatever, I think.

And man... That job posting... So many kanji that I could barely read anything! :eek: Somebody get Tom.

So it's quite time consuming... Memorizing Japanese and Accounting materials at once is going to suck my soul dry, eventually... Guess there's no easy road, huh? :)

I think back then the population hasn't increased so much like today. And we have machines replacing humans as well. The advisor also talked about this. He said it's because companies noticed a trend that people with experience tend to stay with the job because they know what they are doing. While the ones with only a degree are more likely to quit because they realize they don't like the job. ;)

So basically it's going to be Mega Man all over again? :confused:

That's so unfortunate... What are you doing now? A trade school or vocational school is probably a better choice for some people. I hate how our high school counselors continuously push the idea of going to college on all of us. Some kids were cunning enough to see through that. :rolleyes:

16. Luma

Luma Well-Known Member

The Accountants will get mad at you if you say it's just keeping track of things, they say there is a lot of decision-making but sometimes it doesn't feel like it :p But yes there is another test you have to pass to get certified, as I understand it's quite difficult.

Double major would be a lot of work for sure. It sounds like you aren't particularly interested in either Finance or Accounting, which would make it more difficult as well. My experience was that Finance was easier and more interesting, but again that was two years, and the final two years can often turn the tables in terms of difficulty.
    I don't even know what's up with minors, outside school I've never had it brought up. I think people are mostly concerned with major.

Btw, does Japanese class include taking JLPT?

17. Leon Tekashi

Leon Tekashi Active Member

I'm currently in college. Majoring im sociology. Going into ny 4th year. Technically, I'm supposed to be a senior but I'm still a junior cause I'm a bit low on credits. However, if everything works out, I should be able to graduate on time.

18. Terro

Terro Well-Known Member

Disagree. I took business calc (one of the hardest classes I EVER took!!) and although it was a more simplified and focused calc class, I was actually recommended to take pre-calc before it (which I didn't). It's basically 'calc lite' as you cover the basics, but not everything.

Also disagree. People, at least in the Bay Area, change jobs every few years. It's more a trend with younger people who want to climb the ladder, as jobs switch every few years, in order to make an even bigger salary. Why is no one staying loyal? Funny thing, is that companies sometimes pay new hires MORE than they will with promoting people! Seriously, it's more desirable to get new blood inside (WITH experience) than just promote from within. Not that it doesn't happen, but switching jobs is easier. It's not uncommon to get a starting position at Google or whatever, and then move to another company, just since you have 'Google' on your resume, which will make people think you are awesome and want to hire you for that experience.

19. MrDetective

MrDetective Member

I have a friend who graduated in Sociology, and she went back to college to study nursing. She has no idea what to do with that degree, and it was useless to her. Have you thought about your career yet? o_O

I think he was referring to how people would realize that they are not happy with their career, not just where they work. Maybe a Finance major would realize he is not happy with what he is doing, and decides to study something else. Switching company is normal. Switching career, which may requires you to go back to school and study all over again is another headache. :mad:

I am not exactly that interested in business, in general. It'd be fun to open my own store or restaurant, but I don't think I would do well managing it. :) I'm just trying to choose a path that won't be too painful for me and get me a decent paid job. I brought up the salary issue and he said it will change the more I work. Accountants get paid more at first, but it can drastically change for Finance and Marketing major. I wonder if I can make as much as a nurse major? :D I don't remember if my Japanese major requires JLPT. Perhaps it does, but I can't remember for sure.

It sounds like you have a lot of experience, studying Finance, Accounting, and even teaching English in Japan. Mind telling me what you studied in Finance, and what you did in there? How good are you at math? :confused:

20. Luma

Luma Well-Known Member

I think entrepreneur skill and business studies are really separate. Like you read about how a lot of big companies came because people dropped out of school to pursue that.

I don't remember a whole lot about Finance, but we did a lot of valuation of assets(present and future). Ie. how much is a 20 year annual payment of x worth today at y interest rate, determining risk level of investments, calculating cash flow... Some questions will give you a bunch of company numbers, and ask you what kind of position you think this company is in.(healthy, risky, tire fire, etc.)
    Sometimes you have fun little side projects, we had some Excel-run baseball team manager competition for example. So you borrowed money to bid on players of varying quality, chose stadium size, etc. with the goal of maximizing profit in a certain time period. There was a lot of Excel in that class. The formulae aren't so complicated
    Also some stock and dividends stuff of course.

I'm garbage at Math. My first semester Calculus grade was C+, but luckily it was good enough to use for business requirement.

I think I'm doomed with Marketing because most of the entry level positions are sales, and I hate sales D: