Anyone familiar with this CS1 bug? Save/load thumbnails not displaying properly

Discussion in 'The Legend of Heroes Series' started by SlyLupin, Feb 19, 2018.

1. SlyLupin

SlyLupin Member

Anyone familiar with this bug? And if so, happen to know a fix? AFAIK this bug only effects the PC port of the game--and may possibly be limited to the Steam release.

[​IMG]

The actual thumbnail jpegs in the save directory are normal, they only appear corrupted when displayed in-game. It's really annoying.

Some further notes:
    • The default tile image files in the install directory are likewise normal.
    • As you may notice in the screenshot, the default "blank slot" images (usually a dark-gray logo) are corrupted in the same manner as the saved game thumbnails.
    • Verifying the integrity of the game cache yields no effect.
    • Reinstalling the game yields no effect.
    • Deleting all savedata and starting a new game yields no effect.
    • Removing cloud saves yields no effect.
    • I've found posts in the Steam forums commenting on the same problem, going back to CS1's original release, with zero follow-up.
    • GPU drivers are up-to-date (Catalyst 16.2.1 for AMD HD6870).
    UPDATE1:
    • Same corruption occurs w/ CS2.
    • Working on Windows 10 x64 operating system.
    • Thumbnails display properly on my old Win8 laptop w/ integrated graphics.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  2. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

This looks to me like it has something to do with your graphics card settings, potentially. If the files in the folder are displaying fine for you, then whatever codec is being used to decode these images is likely just not playing nicely with your graphics card.

I'll certainly pass this information along, but I have to admit, I strongly suspect there's not much that can be done about it on the programming side -- I might recommend updating your display drivers, and seeing if that makes any difference.

-Tom

3. SlyLupin

SlyLupin Member

No dice there, I've got the latest drivers for my GPU, which are unlikely to be updated any time soon as it's an older card.

I do have an old laptop somewhere that might be able to run the game. I'll give it a try and see if the bug persists there.

4. SlyLupin

SlyLupin Member

Well, I can confirm that this bug is also present with CS2; and also that the thumbnails display properly on my ancient laptop that can barely run the game at minimal settings.

5. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

Is your card Nvidia, AMD, or integrated? If it's integrated graphics, that MIGHT explain things, since it's hard to really predict how integrated graphics cards will handle things given the lack of standardization from one manufacturer to the next.

That's really the only other thing I can think of at the moment, though I have passed your issue up the chain, and if there are any further developments, I'll be sure to let you know.

-Tom

6. zwabbit

zwabbit Active Member

@Wyrdwad he said his GPU was an AMD HD6870. Though the fact that it is an AMD card that old actually makes me suspect something is up, seeing as in the past certain AMD card/driver combos have tended to fare badly on what would otherwise be pretty straightforward rendering operations.

Other useful information would probably be the OS version, and perhaps a dump of the DxDialog to see what the GPU is reporting as its capabilities.

7. SlyLupin

SlyLupin Member

Don't call my GPU old!

Anyway, yeah, my PC is running Windows 10. How would I go about finding the relevant DxDialog thingy?

@Tom: thanks. Actually, my old laptop (that doesn't have this problem) is running integrated graphics (an intel HD4000, IIRC). I wouldn't expect an AMD card to have an issue like this (honestly I can't imagine how "not rendering a jpeg properly" is even possible in the first place) especially considering how popular the 6870 used to be, back in those grand old days where giant lizards roamed the earth.

8. Discoceris

Discoceris Member

If you're running an overlay in conjunction with Steam Overlay, disable either Steam Overlay or whatever else you are running (e.g., MSI Afterburner, 3rd party Streaming software, like Twitch, etc.) This is quite a common issue that most PC owners fail to notice.

Also make sure your monitor doesn't require a driver and/or driver update, especially if it's a store bought complete system (home built or ala carte monitors shouldn't require it)

In addition to graphics drivers, make sure your GPU BIOS doesn't require a firmware update. You'd be surprise how many cards out there have firmware updates that no one ever considers about. Firmware does require homework and due diligence and a lot of care, but it's entirely worthwhile doing, especially since you don't seem to be in a hurry to upgrade your current rig.

Last, but not least, it's the simple things that can cause the most headaches when troubleshooting. It's often the most overlooked steps in the process. What is running in the background? App conflict is much more prevalent than ever before because no software developer will have the time to test over a quintillion different scenarios. Also, have you made sure you are running the latest Windows 10 version? Are every component running with the latest drivers? Even something so far removed as a sound card driver could be a cause of seemingly unrelated issues. The list goes on, and I'm so glad I don't work for tech support, because it's quite a difficult job to assist on a platform like Steam that has such a diverse array of hardware configurations.