Akiba's Trip 2 (Playstation 3 / Vita)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Shizukari, Nov 9, 2013.

1. DemonGazed

DemonGazed New Member

I'd totally buy a copy on Vita (especially if there's a physical copy) and PS3 (only if physical release for both) to show some support! I've been buying every Xseed game in a while, so yeah, bring the game over! :)

2. akito666

akito666 New Member

Physical release or no buy. Sorry, that's because I like collecting games and digital is like collecting thin air. More over, I will need to buy a larger memory card and I don't feel like doing that.

3. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

Since it's PS3 and Vita, it could easily get a retail release.

4. tilinelson2

tilinelson2 Active Member

Yeah, the PS3 would surely be physical, so the Vita version would have big chances of getting a physical version too.

5. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

Just like Ragnarok Odyssey Ace getting a retail release for both PS3 and Vita versions.

6. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

As others have noted, if we release this game, there's a very high likelihood it WILL be physical. But regardless, comments like this generally aren't needed -- if we release a game digital-only, it's because we have to, not because we want to. The only thing people saying they won't buy a game if it's digital-only can do is discourage us from releasing the game at all... but more likely, such comments won't accomplish anything, since anti-digital sentiment rarely (if ever) wins out over "bring us the game" sentiment.

In other words, please be aware that when you say "physical release or no buy," the message you're actually sending is either null and void if a physical release is possible, or equates to "I will not buy this game" if a physical release is not. This sentiment will never, ever result in us deciding to release a game physically that we'd previously resolved to release digital-only, as we ALWAYS release physical products whenever it's even remotely possible.

-Tom

7. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

Tom, if it happens, push for the japanese cover, please.

8. Wyrdwad

Oh, of course! I love that cover just as much as you guys do, and it represents the game soooooo well...

-Tom

9. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

And a limited edition, to boot. Just don't use a bib, a plate and a spoon as bonuses.

10. Wyrdwad

The one limited edition item I'd want to bring over with this game more than any other would be the most predictable option: a full soundtrack CD. But man, I can't even imagine how difficult it would be to get the rights to all that music. This game has a seriously kickass soundtrack, but a good half of it consists of music belonging to various Akihabara shops. Which is why it would be awesome -- it would be like, the soundtrack to Akihabara itself! -- but maaaaaaaan, the licensing...

-Tom

11. DemonGazed

DemonGazed New Member

Okay, here's a more neutral question for Tom;

When you localize games, what's the process like? How much time do you think a game like this would need to be licensed and translated? And do you think it's as risky as Senran Kagura (how were the resuslts by the way?)? I'm asking for your personnal opinion, I know you can't talk for XSeed, I'm just curious to know how it really works and what you think about this game. DO you think Atlus, NISA or Aksys would pick it up?

12. Wyrdwad

Based on having played through the game with one of the endings, I'm guessing the amount of text in it is... more than Ys Celceta, but not by much? So it probably wouldn't be too time-consuming a process. If we're to assume somewhere in the 400k-600k range, that's roughly 4-6 months (general rule of thumb is, 100,000 Japanese characters per month for a quality translation + thorough editing pass).

The process for localizing games differs from title to title, but usually involves getting a script dump from the developer (most typically in an Excel or text-based CSV spreadsheet -- my coworkers prefer the former, whereas I prefer the latter since CSV is more easily manipulable through a wider variety of third-party programs), then translating (and editing) into a new column in that script dump and sending it back... then waiting for a build, QAing that build, making suggestions, translating manuals, etc. etc.

I don't think Akiba's Trip 2 would be as risky a prospect as Senran Kagura, if only because the stripping mechanic in the game applies equally to men and women (meaning it would be much harder to argue sexism or misogyny) and is present more for social satire purposes than anything else (and really isn't all that "sexy" in presentation, either, coming across more as a pure game mechanic).

I do think Akiba's Trip 2 has a lot of market potential, and hope WE get it most of all... but if we don't, I hope someone else does, because the game kicks ass. ;)

And Senran Kagura is doing (redacted), which is (redacted) (redacted). So no worries. ;)

-Tom

13. DemonGazed

DemonGazed New Member

Wow, that was...quite interesting! You just thought me a lot of stuff in a single post! :) Thanks a lot, I know you've been doing this sort of community interaction for quite a long time but we probably can't thank you enough.

Is the script any good for Akiba's Trip 2? I mean, is the story fun, characters unique and plot interesting enough to keep you engaged? And is there variety in the game?

14. Wyrdwad

Honestly, the script is bloody BRILLIANT. ;) That's probably the best part of the game. The writing in it is top-notch, and manages both to celebrate otaku culture while also very cynically poking fun at it. You can tell a lot of love went into the game's script, and it's full of legitimately laugh-out-loud moments. As one example (going to put this under a spoiler tag for good measure, but it only spoils a joke, not any actual story elements):

After your party marathons an entire anime series over the course of 18 hours, each party member comments on what they thought of it... and they all say things like, "That was one of the best shows I've ever seen! Except for the last episode, anyway"... and "I was moved to tears! Except by the last episode"... and basically, they all have individual, highly-detailed reactions, but the one thing every single one of them agrees on is that the last episode apparently REALLY SUCKED! ;)

Really, the characters are where this game shines, and the story -- though plenty good on its own -- serves mostly as a device for putting the characters in situations where you get to watch them all do their thing.

As for variety, that's one of the weird parts of this game. There's a lot to see and do, but ultimately, everything always comes back to the combat system -- all roads lead to beating the crap out of people and stripping them. Which, by all rights, SHOULD get old quickly... yet after 15 hours of gameplay, I was still enjoying every second of it. Maybe it's because they steadily introduced new combat elements over the course of the game, or because virtually every weapon controls differently, or because they kept upping the ante in terms of the difficulty or sheer NUMBER of opponents you were fighting, but I was loving it clean through the end.

So I guess there isn't really THAT much variety, when you get down to it, but... somehow, I never got bored or found the experience repetitive in the slightest.

-Tom

15. DemonGazed

DemonGazed New Member

Well, I want to play the game even more! Combat did look good, but I was scared of getting bored, but I'll trust you on that one!

16. Amaterasu175

Amaterasu175 New Member

Well, Tom's post there has suddenly made me interested in getting this game, if it were to get localized.

17. LeonTekashi

LeonTekashi New Member

Just keep pushing...Just keep pushing...Just keep pushing...

18. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

I'm feeling positive about the game, that's very nice.

19. LeonTekashi

LeonTekashi New Member

Yeah, the game really does sound fun. I really want to try it out myself.

20. Shizukari

Shizukari New Member

I have high hopes XSEED will localize it, since it's from Acquire.