Akiba's Beat general info thread

Discussion in 'Akiba's Beat' started by Wyrdwad, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Wyrdwad

Wyrdwad Administrator Staff Member

This board has been kind of dead, yet there's been a wealth of new info released about the game over this past week, so I figured I'd revive it with some general info!

First off, we have a website now, complete with character profiles, voice samples (in English and Japanese alike), screenshots, gameplay descriptions, wallpapers, icons, and even a snarky little essay I wrote about Akihabara's history. ;) You should check it out!

http://www.akibasbeat.com

We've also got a brief story trailer, which further includes some voice samples:

And although it's not directly released by us, PlayStation Lifestyle revealed all the trophy names for the game, which I'm particularly proud of (since most of the worst puns in there were provided by yours truly!). ;)

(Note that, technically, I guess there are some minor spoilers in these trophy names -- though they'll mean absolutely nothing to you without context, so I wouldn't say reading them now will actually spoil anything for you!)

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/04/20/akibas-beat-trophies-list-released/

-Tom

Yotaka likes this.
  2. Yotaka

Yotaka Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update, looking forward to this one!

3. Leon Tekashi

Leon Tekashi Active Member

I really do want to play this but god damn. Money + Other games coming out in the future... I got to allocate my money to the games I really want to get. I normally tell folks that this year is basically the "year of gaming." Tons of fun games are coming out imo, which means tons of deaths from our wallets and bank accounts.

4. Wargamer

Wargamer Member

I suck at finding those references but I think there's one for no game no life and Eternal sonata. If it's true, good tastes Tom.
    That said, just like with every video games website, this website is pretty terrible to get any idea of how the game plays.
    Went into the "GAMEPLAY" part and got everything except gameplay, from plot to dub/sub to music and some character description. Somewhere between that I read some stuff about world interaction and character building but no gameplay.
    Still no idea what it plays like and the trailers just make it looks like baby's first Tales Of ripoff made in Unity. Considering every Acquire games I played were beat em all I find it hard to believe that they'd drop it to make something worse so I don't know what to think.
    Still in waiting mode for now.

5. Fuepepe

Fuepepe Active Member

I haven't done much research on this title. Was there much difference between the Vita and the PS4 version besides performance? I tend to get the Vita versions because they're cheaper.

6. Leon Tekashi

Chances are, the Vita version has FPS problems compare to the PS4 version.

7. Wyrdwad

The biggest differences seem to be slightly longer load times and a tiny amount of screen tearing in the Vita version -- though the FPS seems pretty consistent, actually.

-Tom

Fuepepe likes this.
  8. Leon Tekashi

Well, it's to be expected. Comparing both the Vita and PS4, the Vita has inferior tech so there were bound to be some performance issues.

9. saloz94

saloz94 New Member

cant wait to play. Iv had the game pre ordered for a while. Also tom iv seen the destructoid article and I must say it was a bunch of bunk. Its clear the guy doesint know how to properly judge voice work and when he said that akibas trip also had bad english voices made it even more clear. I hope hes not in charge of reviewing this game. You gatta remember as well there are those who would bash a dub no matter what cause its not what they prefer.

10. Wargamer

Wargamer Member

Reviews for niche games are pointless most of the time. People that are interested in the game will buy it anyway and people who didn't probably won't buy it even if it has 11/10 GOTY marks everywhere.
    In the same way, I never bought the Citizen Kane of video games because I have no interest in such games.

11. Wyrdwad

Putting that... other topic aside for a minute, we've released a new character trailer for the game today, featuring even more voice snippets, as well as gameplay footage of in-combat actions that might help give a better feel for how this title plays. Check it out!

-Tom

Fuepepe likes this.
  12. Battlechili

Battlechili Member

I love how the character portraits are all animated. Its a lot more fun to look at than still images. Is this combat basically Tales of, or is the combat different from how it appears?
    Also that music is wonderful

13. Wyrdwad

I've actually never played a Tales game (!), so I can't give a direct comparison. But I've heard that comparison made before.

I missed Wargamer's earlier request for a breakdown of Akiba's Beat's gameplay, though (sorry about that!), but you're right that we haven't really talked about it much. So here goes:

Basically, each active character is mapped to one of the four D-pad directions, and you can switch to the one you want to control at will. That character then moves on a 2D line toward or away from his/her target, with the ability to attack, jump, or use any one of 8 pre-set combat skills, as long as he/she has enough AP to perform the action (with AP naturally recovering after a few seconds when it hits 0). He/she can also block and dodge out of the way, including into and through 3D space (and there is a free-run button, if you want to reposition yourself on the battlefield).

Any characters not being directly controlled by the player are controlled via AI, using a series of player-assigned AI behaviors that determine when to attack, when to defend, when to use skills, when to heal, etc.

There's also a meter that fills up on the bottom-left corner of the screen, and when it reaches certain checkpoints, you can use a certain button combo to engage "Imagine Mode," which plays separate player-assigned game music snippets and allows you to attack and use skills freely with no AP drain until the song fades. The meter will then continue filling until it hits full capacity, at which point you can engage an "Imagine Field" that's like Imagine Mode, but lasts for the entire duration of the song and gives you special boosts when the music swells.

There are also ultimate moves for each character, as the trailer shows. These, I believe, can only be activated during Imagine Mode or an Imagine Field, and timing is everything.

-Tom

14. Cryrobinson

Cryrobinson Active Member

This sounds interesting for sure! So close now!

15. Wargamer

Wargamer Member

No worries, thanks for taking the time to explain the gameplay.
    From what I can tell, it's pretty much a clone of the 3D Tales of with some quality of life improvement like being able to change character with the D-pad.
    I never had much issues with that kind of gameplay except for that there was no proper guard/dodge cancel and also the AI is abysmal. The AI is only there to get killed and use your healing items.
    It's always fun to have your healer die in the first minute because of the AI. Thankfully the Tales Of game all support local co-op so up to 3 friend can plug a controller and take control of the other characters.

Does Akiba's Beat have that feature too? If it doesn't the AI better be stellar or I'm not touching the game, I had my share of terrible AI partner in co-op games.

16. Wyrdwad

There is no multiplayer, no, but like I said, you can customize virtually every aspect of the AI to your liking. As you said, in a lot of games, the AI will use up all your healing items, but you can -- for example -- assign a character to heal only when a party member has dropped below 75% health, which will mitigate that issue.

-Tom

17. Wargamer

Wargamer Member

Shame about the multiplayer, guess it's too much to expect a feature the Tales of games have been doing for more than a decade.
    As for the AI, that will only work if the AI is not suicidal or downright terrible at surviving.
    If the AI never blocks and run into the most dangerous attack to make sure it die instantly there's no use customizing it.
    Tried it in Tales too, it works. If I tell an AI to stay in the back, it'll stay in the back. Then one of the enemy move and the AI get killed instantly because there is no back now.
    The AI will survive against enemies I can solo with my eyes closed but will always die against the bosses or enemies which I need the help of the AI.
    Same thing happens all the time in the Ys games but at least the AI's HP never drop bellow 1 and can somewhat help. (It's also terrible at doing damage)

18. Wyrdwad

Don't think that should be as much of an issue in Akiba's Beat, though mostly because the game isn't super-duper difficult. You can definitely min/max with equipment and smash your way through most of the game, though there are certain segments of the endgame -- as well as optional stuff, like a battle arena -- that will give you a run for your money.

-Tom

19. Wargamer

Wargamer Member

I'm curious about the end game then. Does the AI get ridiculous bonuses like being immune to stuns, stagger and status effect?

20. Wyrdwad

Well, that all depends on your equipment. Remember, these aren't just AI, they're playable party members too.

-Tom